|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat," what are most ships in legend of fiction?
2. With what quote does "Neither-Nor Critcism" conclude?
3. What is Garbo's makeup compared to in "The Face of Garbo"?
4. The author claims that according to the magazine article in "Novels and Children," women are what sort of species?
5. "Republicans are always 'extremists' looting _____." Finish this quote from "The Blue Guide."
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the opening claim in "Neither-Nor Criticism" that "criticism must be 'neither a parlour game, nor a municipal service'" affect the remainder of the article?
2. What is the sexist irony of "Novels and Children"?
3. What are the differences in the hair-styles of Portia and Calpurnia in "The Romans in Films," and what do they suggest?
4. What are the metaphorical roles of the different types of "Soap Powders and Detergents"?
5. What are "Toys," according to the author?
6. How is it assumed the author is referring to astronauts when he says "the Jet-Man"?
7. In "Blind and Dumb Criticism," why would a critic admitting that he is not scholarly enough to comment appropriately on the work at hand be toxic to a culture?
8. How are steak and chips (i.e. French fries) alike?
9. Why does the author speak ill of men as 'types' in "The Blue Guide"?
10. How is drunkenness different in France than other nations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is mythology vital to people? How is it vital to language? Why is mythology important to study?
Essay Topic 2
What does the author say of writers as figures? Do you agree or disagree? Is there anyone else who deserves the same consideration more than writers? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is wrestling a mirror of real life? Who are the "players" of wrestling that are frequent characters of the world in which we live? How is this merger of these characters with violence relevant to our society?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)