|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in "Neither-Nor Criticism," which of the following isn't "heavy, defective words"?
2. What river is referenced in the first sentence of "The Writer on Holiday?"
3. What film is mentioned in the first paragraph of "The Romans in Films"?
4. Which of the following is not what the author argues convicted the defendant in "Dominici, or the Triumph of Literature"?
5. What American mixture does the author perplex over in "Wine and Milk"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it assumed the author is referring to astronauts when he says "the Jet-Man"?
2. How are "The Nautilus" and "Mysterious Island" similar and different?
3. "Hitch the greatness of the former to the triumph of the latter." To what does this quote from "Operation Margarine" apply?
4. Why are the "Ornamental Cookery" images in Elle magazine put fourth in vain?
5. What are the two signs that are discussed in "The Romans in Films?" What do they suggest of Roman and modern culture?
6. How does the author introduce holidays in "The Writer on Holiday"?
7. What does the author note is the difference between cartoons and photographs of Einstein? What is the significance of Einstein being featured in cartoons?
8. In "Blind and Dumb Criticism," why would a critic admitting that he is not scholarly enough to comment appropriately on the work at hand be toxic to a culture?
9. How is drunkenness different in France than other nations?
10. What are the metaphorical roles of the different types of "Soap Powders and Detergents"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is wrestling a mirror of real life? Who are the "players" of wrestling that are frequent characters of the world in which we live? How is this merger of these characters with violence relevant to our society?
Essay Topic 2
How is beauty an important form of myth? How is it decided what beauty is? What examples from the book are there of this?
Essay Topic 3
What is Einstein's role in our culture? What has changed about him as a myth since he died? How is he appreciated and what for? What are the two camps of regarding his thought process, according to the author?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)