|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Soap Powders and Detergents," what does the author argue that the "whiteness" promised by these cleaning products play towards?
2. In "Wine and Milk," what is the opposite of wine?
3. "______ for Schelling." How is this quote from "The Brain of Einstein finished"?
4. How does the author refer to the magazine he writes of in "Ornamental Cooking"?
5. Who is "the holiday" a product for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the metaphorical roles of the different types of "Soap Powders and Detergents"?
2. From reading "Ornamental Cookery," why would you say that Elle creates such a grandiose food section for a working-class readership?
3. What image of wine does the author create in the beginning of "Wine and Milk"?
4. How is drunkenness different in France than other nations?
5. What is the literature of repletion in "Dominici, or the Triumph of Literature"? What does it lead to?
6. Who is the writer discussed in "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat"? What is Barthes opinion of this writer's ambitions?
7. What is the sexist irony of "Novels and Children"?
8. Why are the "Ornamental Cookery" images in Elle magazine put fourth in vain?
9. The evil that the author speaks of in "Operation Margarine," where else does he say it is present, beyond the Army and the Church? What example does he use?
10. What are "Toys," according to the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What journalism/literature devalues the human experience, according to the author? How and why do people let this happen?
Essay Topic 2
What does the author say of writers as figures? Do you agree or disagree? Is there anyone else who deserves the same consideration more than writers? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What was relevant of "The 'Blue Blood' Cruise?" How is the attitude of the royalty the same as the attitude of common people? What does this attitude say of the royalty who holds it? What does the connection between royalty and the common people because of this attitude suggest of humanity?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)