|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other alcoholic beverage is wine contrasted to in "Wine and Milk"?
2. What does the author argue takes precedence over the human life in "The Blue Guide"?
3. Which Roman character does the author point out has wild, unkempt hair?
4. What time do the royals wake up to mock the working class in "The 'Blue Blood' Cruise"?
5. Which of the following is not a phrase used to describe Einstein or his brain in "The Brain of Einstein"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the writer discussed in "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat"? What is Barthes opinion of this writer's ambitions?
2. What is the sexist irony of "Novels and Children"?
3. "Hitch the greatness of the former to the triumph of the latter." To what does this quote from "Operation Margarine" apply?
4. How is it assumed the author is referring to astronauts when he says "the Jet-Man"?
5. What is the literature of repletion in "Dominici, or the Triumph of Literature"? What does it lead to?
6. What is the opposite of "The Nautilus"?
7. How are steak and chips (i.e. French fries) alike?
8. What are the metaphorical roles of the different types of "Soap Powders and Detergents"?
9. Why is it that the writer works on holiday important?
10. How does royalty dress in "The 'Blue Blood' Cruise"? What does this say of the royal families?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What myths/objects are nationalistic in French culture? Why are myths important to the French, specifically? How is the author eager to exemplify what is French and what is not in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How is beauty an important form of myth? How is it decided what beauty is? What examples from the book are there of this?
Essay Topic 3
How is mythology vital to people? How is it vital to language? Why is mythology important to study?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)