|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Roman character does the author point out has wild, unkempt hair?
2. Where was this meeting on soaps mentioned in "Soap Powders and Detergents"?
3. What did Queen Frederika wear in "The 'Blue Blood' Cruise"?
4. The author says that writer he discusses in "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat" creates a world that needs only what to exist?
5. The author argues that, ultimately, wrestlers are what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are "The Nautilus" and "Mysterious Island" similar and different?
2. What are the two signs that are discussed in "The Romans in Films?" What do they suggest of Roman and modern culture?
3. What does the author compare Garbo's makeup to? What male personality is she compared to?
4. What are the metaphorical roles of the different types of "Soap Powders and Detergents"?
5. In "Blind and Dumb Criticism," why would a critic admitting that he is not scholarly enough to comment appropriately on the work at hand be toxic to a culture?
6. What is the difference between "culture" and "ideologies" in "Neither-Nor Criticism"?
7. From reading "Ornamental Cookery," why would you say that Elle creates such a grandiose food section for a working-class readership?
8. What is the literary device Verne created?
9. How is the opening claim in "Neither-Nor Criticism" that "criticism must be 'neither a parlour game, nor a municipal service'" affect the remainder of the article?
10. "Hitch the greatness of the former to the triumph of the latter." To what does this quote from "Operation Margarine" apply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was relevant of "The 'Blue Blood' Cruise?" How is the attitude of the royalty the same as the attitude of common people? What does this attitude say of the royalty who holds it? What does the connection between royalty and the common people because of this attitude suggest of humanity?
Essay Topic 2
What non-living objects does the author give life to in "Mythologies?" Of which examples is the author's tone positive and which negative?
Essay Topic 3
How is mythology vital to people? How is it vital to language? Why is mythology important to study?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)