|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which directive does NOT appear on the sign that the Black Fuehrer of Harlem posts at the Iron Guard meeting?
2. What does Wirtanen tell the narrator that George Kraft had planned to do to him?
3. According to Wirtanen, who are the only three people who knew the truth about the narrator's radio broadcasts?
4. What is the main reason the Iron Guard boys have their mothers alter their suits instead of going to a tailor?
5. The office where the narrator is held after he is arrested at Jones' place is located in what famous building?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the narrator meet Werner von Braun and what detail does he recall from that meeting?
2. Describe what Stepan Bodovskov does with the narrator's writings. What is the result?
3. Describe Lazlo Szombathy, the man who uses the rope intended for the narrator. What had he done in his native country and after coming to America?
4. Describe the encounter between Werner von Braun and the narrator when they meet in New York?
5. Summarize the key points of the narrator's radio address that was played at the Iron Guard meeting.
6. What does Frank Wirtanen say will happen to Jones, Keeley, the Black Fuehrer, and the Iron Guardsmen after the raid?
7. What does the narrator tell Frank Wirtanen that he may have done with his life if Germany had won the war?
8. What inspires August Krapptauer to start a youth movement and what is its key aim?
9. What is the plot of "The Goblet"?
10. Describe the offensive drawing that Kraft uses for target practice. Why does the narrator say he drew the "ludicrous" cartoon, and what does he himself think about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the process Howard Campbell goes through from hiding from prosecution to wanting to face punishment for his crimes.
Essay Topic 2
A friend of yours is considering reading Mother Night and wants your opinion. Write your friend a letter telling him or her what you think of the novel. Do you think it's a good novel or a waste of time? Discuss reasons for your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the narrator decides to commit suicide once the fact that he was an American spy is verified and he is no longer wanted for war crimes? Discuss reasons you believe the narrator would prefer to end his life rather than begin a new life as a free man.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)