|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was unique about Arndt Klopfer's photography?
2. When the narrator is recovering from the beating, where does George Kraft speculate that he, Resi, and the narrator would go?
3. What is the misleading title of chapter 23?
4. The office where the narrator is held after he is arrested at Jones' place is located in what famous building?
5. As the narrator recovers in Lionel Jones' basement, what does Resi tell the narrator Jones has arranged?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the schoolteacher's wife's behavior in the bomb shelter. How does her husband respond?
2. Describe the narrator's encounter with Adolf Eichmann in the Tel Aviv jail.
3. Describe Lazlo Szombathy, the man who uses the rope intended for the narrator. What had he done in his native country and after coming to America?
4. The patrolman the narrator meets outside his home is fascinated with the effects chemicals have on human behavior. What does the patrolman say are ways that chemicals affect human behavior and what are some examples he cites?
5. What does the narrator tell Frank Wirtanen that he may have done with his life if Germany had won the war?
6. How did the narrator meet Werner von Braun and what detail does he recall from that meeting?
7. What does Frank Wirtanen say will happen to Jones, Keeley, the Black Fuehrer, and the Iron Guardsmen after the raid?
8. Describe the scene at Jones' house after the narrator returns from his meeting with the Blue Fairy Godmother.
9. Where does Helga say she found the collection of the narrator's works? What is the significance of this place?
10. Why does George Kraft say he wants to start a new life with the narrator and Resi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Resi's behavior when the narrator meets her in the music room before going to the front lines. Does Resi's behavior seem appropriate for a child her age? Why or why not? Discuss how Resi's circumstances may have affected her attitudes and behaviors.
Essay Topic 2
Consider Howard and Helga's "Nation of Two." Is such a concept a good idea for a couple, a family, or even a single person? Discuss pros and cons of small groups or individuals considering themselves to be their own nation.
Essay Topic 3
Mother Night was originally published in 1961 and is set in that time and in earlier times of the narrator's life, especially World War II. Discuss whether a novel written decades ago relating to events that happened decades before that is relevant today.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)