|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What snide remark does Resi make as she watches drum majorettes pass by in a parade?
2. Which directive does NOT appear on the sign that the Black Fuehrer of Harlem posts at the Iron Guard meeting?
3. What is "Dat Old Golden Rule"?
4. What does the patrolman tell the narrator that chemicals had caused a woman living nearby to do?
5. What "gift" does Frank Wirtanen say that the narrator and George Kraft have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Resi Noth die and what is the reason?
2. What is Resi's explanation for tricking the narrator into thinking she is her dead sister?
3. Why does George Kraft say he wants to start a new life with the narrator and Resi?
4. Describe the schoolteacher's wife's behavior in the bomb shelter. How does her husband respond?
5. What is the Memoirs of a Monogamous Casanova and why did the narrator not want it to be published?
6. Describe the narrator's encounter with Adolf Eichmann in the Tel Aviv jail.
7. Describe the narrator's surroundings when he regains consciousness after being beaten.
8. Describe Lazlo Szombathy, the man who uses the rope intended for the narrator. What had he done in his native country and after coming to America?
9. Where does Helga say she found the collection of the narrator's works? What is the significance of this place?
10. What does the narrator tell Frank Wirtanen that he may have done with his life if Germany had won the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel seems to present most Nazis as being sane and rational, but presents the members and friends of Lionel Jones' hate group as being irrational and paranoid. Discuss why members of the two groups receive different treatment in the novel. Be sure to consider the narrator's role in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Resi's deceptive behavior. Explain what she does and the consequences of her actions, if any. Can Resi's actions be justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role ethics plays in the lives of the characters during and after the war. Do many of the characters behave ethically? Be sure to cite examples of situations where a character's behavior may have been different if he or she had been in a different situation.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)