|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wirtanen think the Russians would do to get the narrator to cooperate?
2. After the narrator is released from arrest after the raid, what does he say he no longer has that kept him moving through "so many dead and pointless years"?
3. What is Helga's present to the narrator when they are reunited?
4. If someone wished to purchase a copy of Memoirs of a Monogamous Casanova with color illustrations, how much extra would it cost?
5. According to the narrator, what is the only part of a pig that is not used at the Chicago Stockyards?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the offensive drawing that Kraft uses for target practice. Why does the narrator say he drew the "ludicrous" cartoon, and what does he himself think about it?
2. What is the Memoirs of a Monogamous Casanova and why did the narrator not want it to be published?
3. Describe the narrator's encounter with Adolf Eichmann in the Tel Aviv jail.
4. How did the narrator meet Werner von Braun and what detail does he recall from that meeting?
5. Describe the scene at Jones' house after the narrator returns from his meeting with the Blue Fairy Godmother.
6. The patrolman the narrator meets outside his home is fascinated with the effects chemicals have on human behavior. What does the patrolman say are ways that chemicals affect human behavior and what are some examples he cites?
7. What is Resi's explanation for tricking the narrator into thinking she is her dead sister?
8. What does the narrator suggests happened to George Kraft's pipe?
9. Why does the narrator say he "froze" after he is released after the raid?
10. What does Frank Wirtanen say will happen to Jones, Keeley, the Black Fuehrer, and the Iron Guardsmen after the raid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the process Howard Campbell goes through from hiding from prosecution to wanting to face punishment for his crimes.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role ethics plays in the lives of the characters during and after the war. Do many of the characters behave ethically? Be sure to cite examples of situations where a character's behavior may have been different if he or she had been in a different situation.
Essay Topic 3
A friend of yours is considering reading Mother Night and wants your opinion. Write your friend a letter telling him or her what you think of the novel. Do you think it's a good novel or a waste of time? Discuss reasons for your opinions.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)