|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is George Kraft frantically searching for when he returns to the narrator's apartment?
2. What are Resi, Father Keeley, and the Black Fuehrer doing when the narrator returns from his meeting with Frank Wirtanen?
3. What does Jones' chauffeur says always works even though most other things do not?
4. Where does Helga claim she located the trunk filled with many of the narrator's things?
5. What was the title of a play about a young maiden and a knight who guard the Holy Grail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Helga say she found the collection of the narrator's works? What is the significance of this place?
2. When the narrator returns to his ransacked attic home, what does it remind him of?
3. What is the plot of "The Goblet"?
4. Summarize the key points of the narrator's radio address that was played at the Iron Guard meeting.
5. Describe Lazlo Szombathy, the man who uses the rope intended for the narrator. What had he done in his native country and after coming to America?
6. Describe the narrator's encounter with Adolf Eichmann in the Tel Aviv jail.
7. What does the narrator tell Frank Wirtanen that he may have done with his life if Germany had won the war?
8. What does Frank Wirtanen say will happen to Jones, Keeley, the Black Fuehrer, and the Iron Guardsmen after the raid?
9. Describe what Stepan Bodovskov does with the narrator's writings. What is the result?
10. Why does the narrator say he "froze" after he is released after the raid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss friendships in the novel such as the friendships the narrator has with Heinz Schildknecht and George Kraft. Consider the role of deception in these and other relationships in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the narrator decides to commit suicide once the fact that he was an American spy is verified and he is no longer wanted for war crimes? Discuss reasons you believe the narrator would prefer to end his life rather than begin a new life as a free man.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Resi's deceptive behavior. Explain what she does and the consequences of her actions, if any. Can Resi's actions be justified? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)