|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the narrator recovers in Lionel Jones' basement, what does Resi tell the narrator Jones has arranged?
2. What is the Blue Fairy Godmother's response to the narrator's concerns that his parents knew he was broadcasting Nazi propaganda?
3. What does Lionel Jones claim his organization is doing that the G-man is not?
4. Why does Wirtanen say he cannot trust the narrator?
5. What does the narrator say is a "snaggle-toothed thought machine"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator tell Frank Wirtanen that he may have done with his life if Germany had won the war?
2. What does the narrator suggests happened to George Kraft's pipe?
3. What is the Memoirs of a Monogamous Casanova and why did the narrator not want it to be published?
4. Describe the scene at Jones' house after the narrator returns from his meeting with the Blue Fairy Godmother.
5. Summarize the key points of the narrator's radio address that was played at the Iron Guard meeting.
6. Describe what Stepan Bodovskov does with the narrator's writings. What is the result?
7. What is the plot of "The Goblet"?
8. Describe Lazlo Szombathy, the man who uses the rope intended for the narrator. What had he done in his native country and after coming to America?
9. When the narrator returns to his ransacked attic home, what does it remind him of?
10. According to Frank Wirtanen, why do the Russians want to get their hands on the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mother Night was originally published in 1961 and is set in that time and in earlier times of the narrator's life, especially World War II. Discuss whether a novel written decades ago relating to events that happened decades before that is relevant today.
Essay Topic 2
The novel seems to present most Nazis as being sane and rational, but presents the members and friends of Lionel Jones' hate group as being irrational and paranoid. Discuss why members of the two groups receive different treatment in the novel. Be sure to consider the narrator's role in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role ethics plays in the lives of the characters during and after the war. Do many of the characters behave ethically? Be sure to cite examples of situations where a character's behavior may have been different if he or she had been in a different situation.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)