|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the general public response after newspapers begin to publish articles about Howard Campbell?
2. What do the narrator and Resi find drawn in blue ink on his mailbox namecard?
3. What does the patrolman say has the potential to end crime, war, divorce, child abuse, and several other social ills?
4. What special ceremony is planned at the weekly meeting of the Iron Guard of the White Sons of the Constitution?
5. What is the "booty" that the narrator and Frank Wirtanen discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. The patrolman the narrator meets outside his home is fascinated with the effects chemicals have on human behavior. What does the patrolman say are ways that chemicals affect human behavior and what are some examples he cites?
2. What inspires August Krapptauer to start a youth movement and what is its key aim?
3. What is Resi's explanation for tricking the narrator into thinking she is her dead sister?
4. Describe the narrator's encounter with Adolf Eichmann in the Tel Aviv jail.
5. What does the narrator tell Frank Wirtanen that he may have done with his life if Germany had won the war?
6. How does Resi Noth die and what is the reason?
7. Describe the encounter at the mailboxes with the unnamed man with the shopping bag.
8. Describe the schoolteacher's wife's behavior in the bomb shelter. How does her husband respond?
9. Where does Helga say she found the collection of the narrator's works? What is the significance of this place?
10. What does the narrator suggests happened to George Kraft's pipe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the process Howard Campbell goes through from hiding from prosecution to wanting to face punishment for his crimes.
Essay Topic 2
A friend of yours is considering reading Mother Night and wants your opinion. Write your friend a letter telling him or her what you think of the novel. Do you think it's a good novel or a waste of time? Discuss reasons for your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the narrator decides to commit suicide once the fact that he was an American spy is verified and he is no longer wanted for war crimes? Discuss reasons you believe the narrator would prefer to end his life rather than begin a new life as a free man.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)