|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator do with his broom?
2. When the narrator does not want to discuss politics when they are alone in his apartment, what does he ask Helga to ask him about instead?
3. What made Lionel Jones a wealthy man?
4. When the narrator was serving as an American agent, how did he send coded information out of Germany?
5. In what year does Howard Campbell write his story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's lifestyle while he is in hiding. How does he live and from where does he get his income?
2. What is Abraham Epstein's mother hoping to prove when she speaks to the narrator in German?
3. How does the narrator describe The White Christian Minuteman and what is his reaction to it arriving in his mailbox?
4. What is Arpad Kovacs response when he reads the contents of one of Campbell's radio broadcasts?
5. How and where does the narrator learn the lurid details of his father-in-law's death and what does the narrator find troubling about the article, besides the fact that it is about the death of someone he knows?
6. In chapter one, where is the narrator? Why is he there and what is he doing?
7. What effect does the narrator's broadcast have on Werner Noth?
8. Why had Father Keeley been "unfrocked"?
9. What happened to members of the Sonderkommando when their job was done? How were they replaced?
10. What is the gist of Bernard O'Hare's letter to the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider Howard and Helga's "Nation of Two." Is such a concept a good idea for a couple, a family, or even a single person? Discuss pros and cons of small groups or individuals considering themselves to be their own nation.
Essay Topic 2
Adolf Eichmann plans to use the defense that he was just following orders and is, therefore, not personally responsible for the deaths of millions of Jews. Discuss this defense and whether it is ever acceptable.
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, does Howard Campbell ever redeem himself for his crimes? Why or why not?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)