|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret does Resi reveal to the narrator before he leaves for the front lines?
2. What does the narrator notice about Lionel Jones' hand?
3. From where does Alvin Dobrowitz say the narrator's and the Blue Fairy Godmother's sign and countersign were taken?
4. What famous speech does Goebbels, Head of the German Ministry of Popular Enlightenment and Propaganda, find particularly impressive?
5. Who is the "Blue Fairy Godmother"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
2. Why is Helga presumed to be dead?
3. How and where does the narrator learn the lurid details of his father-in-law's death and what does the narrator find troubling about the article, besides the fact that it is about the death of someone he knows?
4. How does information regarding the narrator's whereabouts end up in The White Christian Minuteman?
5. What reason does Andor Gutman give for thinking that the position of "corpse-carrier" would be a good job?
6. Where and in what kind of place does the narrator live while he is in hiding?
7. In chapter one, where is the narrator? Why is he there and what is he doing?
8. What is Goebbels' response to Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?
9. Why had Father Keeley been "unfrocked"?
10. Describe Resi's reaction to the news that her dog must be killed.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the process Howard Campbell goes through from hiding from prosecution to wanting to face punishment for his crimes.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, does Howard Campbell ever redeem himself for his crimes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Resi's behavior when the narrator meets her in the music room before going to the front lines. Does Resi's behavior seem appropriate for a child her age? Why or why not? Discuss how Resi's circumstances may have affected her attitudes and behaviors.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)