|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous speech does Goebbels, Head of the German Ministry of Popular Enlightenment and Propaganda, find particularly impressive?
2. Besides the United States, Jones says his Minuteman publication has a small circulation in what country?
3. Where does Helga get the money to be able to reunite with the narrator?
4. What fact does the narrator never reveal to his wife?
5. What does the narrator notice about Lionel Jones' hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the leather strap that Bernard Mengel mentions?
2. What reason does Andor Gutman give for thinking that the position of "corpse-carrier" would be a good job?
3. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
4. What is the gist of Bernard O'Hare's letter to the narrator?
5. Describe the narrator's and Helga's careers before the war begins, and how do they support each other in their careers?
6. Why had Father Keeley been "unfrocked"?
7. Briefly explain the "Nation of Two" the narrator frequently mentions. What is its original meaning and what does it signify to the narrator personally?
8. Describe the Free American Corps. What was its purpose and how successful was it?
9. Where and in what kind of place does the narrator live while he is in hiding?
10. How does the narrator describe The White Christian Minuteman and what is his reaction to it arriving in his mailbox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adolf Eichmann plans to use the defense that he was just following orders and is, therefore, not personally responsible for the deaths of millions of Jews. Discuss this defense and whether it is ever acceptable.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the younger characters in the novel, such as Dr. Epstein and the narrator's Israeli-born guard, think discussing what happened in the death camps pointless or irrelevant. Discuss whether these attitudes are healthy examples of people trying to get on with their lives and not be burdened by the past or a troubling example of living in denial.
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, does Howard Campbell ever redeem himself for his crimes? Why or why not?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)