|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say Heinz's wife was hard to know?
2. How does Bernard O'Hare, who had captured the narrator in Germany, get the narrator's address?
3. What does the narrator do with his broom?
4. What does Helga say is the reason she did not get in touch with the narrator when she learned of his whereabouts?
5. What does Heinz Schildknecht love above all else?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the leather strap that Bernard Mengel mentions?
2. Of what does the Haifa Institute consider Heinz Schildknecht to be an expert and why?
3. Explain why the narrator thinks Helga is "amazingly well-preserved."
4. How does the narrator describe The White Christian Minuteman and what is his reaction to it arriving in his mailbox?
5. Briefly explain the "Nation of Two" the narrator frequently mentions. What is its original meaning and what does it signify to the narrator personally?
6. Describe the narrator's and Helga's careers before the war begins, and how do they support each other in their careers?
7. What is the gist of Bernard O'Hare's letter to the narrator?
8. Why is Helga presumed to be dead?
9. Why was Lionel Jones sent to prison (before he became acquainted with the narrator), and based on what evidence?
10. Describe Heinz Schildknecht's wife as the narrator portrays her. Why does he not like her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the process Howard Campbell goes through from hiding from prosecution to wanting to face punishment for his crimes.
Essay Topic 2
Adolf Eichmann plans to use the defense that he was just following orders and is, therefore, not personally responsible for the deaths of millions of Jews. Discuss this defense and whether it is ever acceptable.
Essay Topic 3
The novel deals with many sobering topics such as war, genocide, racism, and suicide. Discuss your opinions of the way the novel handles these sensitive topics. For example, does the novel include too many lurid details or not enough? Should the novel have included more humor to lighten the dark tone or would that have distracted from the seriousness of the subject?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)