|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompted the sudden death of August Krapptauer?
2. How did the narrator lose Helga?
3. The narrator say his plays were medieval romances and as political as ____________.
4. According to the narrator, what was the only thing about Helga that had changed since he last saw her?
5. The narrator tells Epstein's mother that "auf wiedersehen" means "goodbye" in German, but she corrects him by telling him it more precisely means:
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Andor Gutman give for thinking that the position of "corpse-carrier" would be a good job?
2. What happened to members of the Sonderkommando when their job was done? How were they replaced?
3. Describe the narrator's lifestyle while he is in hiding. How does he live and from where does he get his income?
4. What is the gist of Bernard O'Hare's letter to the narrator?
5. Describe the narrator's and Helga's careers before the war begins, and how do they support each other in their careers?
6. Briefly explain the "Nation of Two" the narrator frequently mentions. What is its original meaning and what does it signify to the narrator personally?
7. Why had Father Keeley been "unfrocked"?
8. Explain why the narrator thinks Helga is "amazingly well-preserved."
9. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
10. Describe the Free American Corps. What was its purpose and how successful was it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, does Howard Campbell ever redeem himself for his crimes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mother Night is a fictionalized account related to real events. Discuss whether you think works like Mother Night help us to understand historical events better or if pure historical accounts alone are sufficient. You may want to discuss whether historical novels have a place in a history class or belong only in a literature course.
Essay Topic 3
Howard Campbell discovers that Resi has not only deceived him by posing as Helga's sister, but is also a communist agent involved in a plot to kidnap him. Discuss why Campbell is not particularly shocked or angered by these betrayals.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)