|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Resi's dog and Mrs. Noth have "fat" bellies?
2. How did the narrator lose Helga?
3. What childish phrase does the Blue Fairy Godmother tell the narrator that he should not expect to hear for himself?
4. Bernard Mengel, who guards the narrator at night, tells the narrator he does what in his sleep?
5. Of what did the narrator have twenty-six copies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Arpad Kovacs response when he reads the contents of one of Campbell's radio broadcasts?
2. Describe the Free American Corps. What was its purpose and how successful was it?
3. How and where does the narrator learn the lurid details of his father-in-law's death and what does the narrator find troubling about the article, besides the fact that it is about the death of someone he knows?
4. Describe the narrator's lifestyle while he is in hiding. How does he live and from where does he get his income?
5. How does the narrator describe The White Christian Minuteman and what is his reaction to it arriving in his mailbox?
6. What effect does the narrator's broadcast have on Werner Noth?
7. Describe the narrator's and Helga's careers before the war begins, and how do they support each other in their careers?
8. What is Abraham Epstein's mother hoping to prove when she speaks to the narrator in German?
9. What is Goebbels' response to Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?
10. What is the gist of Bernard O'Hare's letter to the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Howard Campbell discovers that Resi has not only deceived him by posing as Helga's sister, but is also a communist agent involved in a plot to kidnap him. Discuss why Campbell is not particularly shocked or angered by these betrayals.
Essay Topic 2
Consider Howard and Helga's "Nation of Two." Is such a concept a good idea for a couple, a family, or even a single person? Discuss pros and cons of small groups or individuals considering themselves to be their own nation.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role ethics plays in the lives of the characters during and after the war. Do many of the characters behave ethically? Be sure to cite examples of situations where a character's behavior may have been different if he or she had been in a different situation.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)