|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does Alvin Dobrowitz say the narrator's and the Blue Fairy Godmother's sign and countersign were taken?
2. Where does the narrator say he met Rudolf Hoess?
3. What is George Kraft's real name?
4. Which characteristic does NOT describe Howard W. Campbell, Jr.'s father?
5. Which description best fits the narrator's New York home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Resi's reaction to the news that her dog must be killed.
2. What happened to members of the Sonderkommando when their job was done? How were they replaced?
3. Why is Helga presumed to be dead?
4. Briefly explain the "Nation of Two" the narrator frequently mentions. What is its original meaning and what does it signify to the narrator personally?
5. How and where does the narrator learn the lurid details of his father-in-law's death and what does the narrator find troubling about the article, besides the fact that it is about the death of someone he knows?
6. Explain why the narrator thinks Helga is "amazingly well-preserved."
7. What is Goebbels' response to Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?
8. Why had Father Keeley been "unfrocked"?
9. Why was Lionel Jones sent to prison (before he became acquainted with the narrator), and based on what evidence?
10. What does Robert Wilson, the Black Fuehrer of Harlem, mean when he says that he and the narrator were on "opposite" sides? Provide some explanation as to why Wilson chose the side he did.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the treatment of Nazis in Mother Night to portrayals of Nazis in other works of literature, movies, or television shows (some examples: Schindler's List, Sophie's Choice, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Sound of Music, Life is Beautiful, Hogan's Heroes, etc.). Does the novel present Nazis in a more or less favorable light than other works? Does the treatment of Nazis in Mother Night seem more or less realistic?
Essay Topic 2
Mother Night was originally published in 1961 and is set in that time and in earlier times of the narrator's life, especially World War II. Discuss whether a novel written decades ago relating to events that happened decades before that is relevant today.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Resi's behavior when the narrator meets her in the music room before going to the front lines. Does Resi's behavior seem appropriate for a child her age? Why or why not? Discuss how Resi's circumstances may have affected her attitudes and behaviors.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)