|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which description does NOT apply to Lionel Jones?
2. According to the narrator, what was the only thing about Helga that had changed since he last saw her?
3. Andor Gutman tells the narrator that music played through the loud speakers all day long at the prison camp, but was occasionally interrupted by the phrase, "Leichentrager zu Wache." What does "Leichentrager zu Wache" mean?
4. What is the ironic flaw in the design on the hilt of the narrator's dagger?
5. The narrator claims he didn't really steal his friend's motorcycle, but . . .
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's and Helga's careers before the war begins, and how do they support each other in their careers?
2. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
3. Of what does the Haifa Institute consider Heinz Schildknecht to be an expert and why?
4. Describe Heinz Schildknecht's wife as the narrator portrays her. Why does he not like her?
5. How does the narrator describe The White Christian Minuteman and what is his reaction to it arriving in his mailbox?
6. What is Arpad Kovacs response when he reads the contents of one of Campbell's radio broadcasts?
7. How does information regarding the narrator's whereabouts end up in The White Christian Minuteman?
8. What is the gist of Bernard O'Hare's letter to the narrator?
9. What is Goebbels' response to Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?
10. How and where does the narrator learn the lurid details of his father-in-law's death and what does the narrator find troubling about the article, besides the fact that it is about the death of someone he knows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel seems to present most Nazis as being sane and rational, but presents the members and friends of Lionel Jones' hate group as being irrational and paranoid. Discuss why members of the two groups receive different treatment in the novel. Be sure to consider the narrator's role in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the younger characters in the novel, such as Dr. Epstein and the narrator's Israeli-born guard, think discussing what happened in the death camps pointless or irrelevant. Discuss whether these attitudes are healthy examples of people trying to get on with their lives and not be burdened by the past or a troubling example of living in denial.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Resi's deceptive behavior. Explain what she does and the consequences of her actions, if any. Can Resi's actions be justified? Why or why not?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)