|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ironic flaw in the design on the hilt of the narrator's dagger?
2. What fact does the narrator never reveal to his wife?
3. Who was Rudolph Franz Hoess?
4. Why did Resi remove her mittens when she was sitting in the music room?
5. What made Lionel Jones a wealthy man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Goebbels' response to Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?
2. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
3. In the last chapter, what surprising detail is revealed about Heinz Schildknecht?
4. Describe Heinz Schildknecht's wife as the narrator portrays her. Why does he not like her?
5. Describe what happened to the narrator after being beaten and knocked unconscious.
6. Describe the narrator's and Helga's careers before the war begins, and how do they support each other in their careers?
7. Describe the narrator's encounter with Adolf Eichmann in the Tel Aviv jail.
8. What is Dr. Epstein's reaction when the narrator says he wants to turn himself in for war crimes?
9. Describe the planned escape to Mexico. Who was involved and how?
10. Describe the narrator's surroundings when he regains consciousness after being beaten.
Essay Topic 1
Consider Howard and Helga's "Nation of Two." Is such a concept a good idea for a couple, a family, or even a single person? Discuss pros and cons of small groups or individuals considering themselves to be their own nation.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of patriotism as presented in the novel compared to your own idea of patriotism. Give your definition of patriotism and discuss what you think patriotism means to some of the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the treatment of Nazis in Mother Night to portrayals of Nazis in other works of literature, movies, or television shows (some examples: Schindler's List, Sophie's Choice, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Sound of Music, Life is Beautiful, Hogan's Heroes, etc.). Does the novel present Nazis in a more or less favorable light than other works? Does the treatment of Nazis in Mother Night seem more or less realistic?
This section contains 1,724 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)