|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the war, how many years did the narrator live in New York?
2. Which description does NOT apply to Lionel Jones?
3. The narrator claims he didn't really steal his friend's motorcycle, but . . .
4. What does the narrator notice about Lionel Jones' hand?
5. How are Resi and Helga related?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to members of the Sonderkommando when their job was done? How were they replaced?
2. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
3. What frequently occurs in the little park outside the narrator's window that would often get his attention, and what is the significance of this?
4. Describe the Free American Corps. What was its purpose and how successful was it?
5. How does information regarding the narrator's whereabouts end up in The White Christian Minuteman?
6. Describe Resi's reaction to the news that her dog must be killed.
7. What is Goebbels' response to Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?
8. Describe Heinz Schildknecht's wife as the narrator portrays her. Why does he not like her?
9. Why was Lionel Jones sent to prison (before he became acquainted with the narrator), and based on what evidence?
10. What is Abraham Epstein's mother hoping to prove when she speaks to the narrator in German?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, does Howard Campbell ever redeem himself for his crimes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role ethics plays in the lives of the characters during and after the war. Do many of the characters behave ethically? Be sure to cite examples of situations where a character's behavior may have been different if he or she had been in a different situation.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Howard and Helga's "Nation of Two." Is such a concept a good idea for a couple, a family, or even a single person? Discuss pros and cons of small groups or individuals considering themselves to be their own nation.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)