|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport did the narrator and Heinz Schildknecht play together?
2. According to the narrator, what was the only thing about Helga that had changed since he last saw her?
3. Why did Resi remove her mittens when she was sitting in the music room?
4. How does Bernard O'Hare, who had captured the narrator in Germany, get the narrator's address?
5. Friedmann is the director of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's mother and what is the "queer demonstration" she gives?
2. What is the gist of Bernard O'Hare's letter to the narrator?
3. What does Robert Wilson, the Black Fuehrer of Harlem, mean when he says that he and the narrator were on "opposite" sides? Provide some explanation as to why Wilson chose the side he did.
4. Why had Father Keeley been "unfrocked"?
5. What is Arpad Kovacs response when he reads the contents of one of Campbell's radio broadcasts?
6. What happened to members of the Sonderkommando when their job was done? How were they replaced?
7. What is Abraham Epstein's mother hoping to prove when she speaks to the narrator in German?
8. Where and in what kind of place does the narrator live while he is in hiding?
9. What reason does Andor Gutman give for thinking that the position of "corpse-carrier" would be a good job?
10. Why is Helga presumed to be dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss friendships in the novel such as the friendships the narrator has with Heinz Schildknecht and George Kraft. Consider the role of deception in these and other relationships in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss nationalism and patriotism as it relates to the novel. Does the novel handle these ideas as generally good, bad, or neutral? How does the narrator feel about these issues? Be sure to use examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Resi's behavior when the narrator meets her in the music room before going to the front lines. Does Resi's behavior seem appropriate for a child her age? Why or why not? Discuss how Resi's circumstances may have affected her attitudes and behaviors.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)