|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Lionel Jones a wealthy man?
2. What does the narrator do with his broom?
3. What is the surprise that Rev. Jones and his entourage present to the narrator?
4. Which city does the narrator say was "Hell" or "Purgatory" for him?
5. The narrator claims he didn't really steal his friend's motorcycle, but . . .
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to members of the Sonderkommando when their job was done? How were they replaced?
2. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
3. What effect does the narrator's broadcast have on Werner Noth?
4. Why was Lionel Jones sent to prison (before he became acquainted with the narrator), and based on what evidence?
5. Of what does the Haifa Institute consider Heinz Schildknecht to be an expert and why?
6. Describe Heinz Schildknecht's wife as the narrator portrays her. Why does he not like her?
7. Describe the narrator's and Helga's careers before the war begins, and how do they support each other in their careers?
8. What is the gist of Bernard O'Hare's letter to the narrator?
9. What is Abraham Epstein's mother hoping to prove when she speaks to the narrator in German?
10. How and where does the narrator learn the lurid details of his father-in-law's death and what does the narrator find troubling about the article, besides the fact that it is about the death of someone he knows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mother Night is a fictionalized account related to real events. Discuss whether you think works like Mother Night help us to understand historical events better or if pure historical accounts alone are sufficient. You may want to discuss whether historical novels have a place in a history class or belong only in a literature course.
Essay Topic 2
Mother Night was originally published in 1961 and is set in that time and in earlier times of the narrator's life, especially World War II. Discuss whether a novel written decades ago relating to events that happened decades before that is relevant today.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role ethics plays in the lives of the characters during and after the war. Do many of the characters behave ethically? Be sure to cite examples of situations where a character's behavior may have been different if he or she had been in a different situation.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)