|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who informed the Minuteman of the narrator's whereabouts?
2. Bernard Mengel, who guards the narrator at night, tells the narrator he does what in his sleep?
3. Which of the following is NOT a symbol that the narrator had drawn in the dust of his windowpanes:
4. Bernard Mengel tells the narrator that he (the narrator) is the only man he has heard of who . . .
5. In what year does Howard Campbell write his story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Goebbels' response to Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?
2. What is the gist of Bernard O'Hare's letter to the narrator?
3. How does information regarding the narrator's whereabouts end up in The White Christian Minuteman?
4. What is the significance of the leather strap that Bernard Mengel mentions?
5. What effect does the narrator's broadcast have on Werner Noth?
6. Describe Heinz Schildknecht's wife as the narrator portrays her. Why does he not like her?
7. Of what does the Haifa Institute consider Heinz Schildknecht to be an expert and why?
8. Explain why the narrator thinks Helga is "amazingly well-preserved."
9. Briefly explain the "Nation of Two" the narrator frequently mentions. What is its original meaning and what does it signify to the narrator personally?
10. What happened to members of the Sonderkommando when their job was done? How were they replaced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss friendships in the novel such as the friendships the narrator has with Heinz Schildknecht and George Kraft. Consider the role of deception in these and other relationships in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Adolf Eichmann says he plans to use the defense that he was just a soldier following orders. Discuss whether this is a sufficient defense in a war crimes hearing or trial.
Essay Topic 3
The novel seems to present most Nazis as being sane and rational, but presents the members and friends of Lionel Jones' hate group as being irrational and paranoid. Discuss why members of the two groups receive different treatment in the novel. Be sure to consider the narrator's role in the story.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)