Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ironic flaw in the design on the hilt of the narrator's dagger?
2. What fact does the narrator never reveal to his wife?
3. Who was Rudolph Franz Hoess?
4. Why did Resi remove her mittens when she was sitting in the music room?
5. What made Lionel Jones a wealthy man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Goebbels' response to Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?
2. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
3. In the last chapter, what surprising detail is revealed about Heinz Schildknecht?
4. Describe Heinz Schildknecht's wife as the narrator portrays her. Why does he not like her?
5. Describe what happened to the narrator after being beaten and knocked unconscious.
6. Describe the narrator's and Helga's careers before the war begins, and how do they support each other in their careers?
7. Describe the narrator's encounter with Adolf Eichmann in the Tel Aviv jail.
8. What is Dr. Epstein's reaction when the narrator says he wants to turn himself in for war crimes?
9. Describe the planned escape to Mexico. Who was involved and how?
10. Describe the narrator's surroundings when he regains consciousness after being beaten.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the process Howard Campbell goes through from hiding from prosecution to wanting to face punishment for his crimes.
Essay Topic 2
Mother Night is a fictionalized account related to real events. Discuss whether you think works like Mother Night help us to understand historical events better or if pure historical accounts alone are sufficient. You may want to discuss whether historical novels have a place in a history class or belong only in a literature course.
Essay Topic 3
Some of the younger characters in the novel, such as Dr. Epstein and the narrator's Israeli-born guard, think discussing what happened in the death camps pointless or irrelevant. Discuss whether these attitudes are healthy examples of people trying to get on with their lives and not be burdened by the past or a troubling example of living in denial.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)