|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bernard Mengel tells the narrator that he (the narrator) is the only man he has heard of who . . .
2. The Blue Fairy Godmother tells the narrator that to do his job right, he will have to:
3. What does the narrator mean when he claims, "I became what I am today and what I will always be, a stateless person"?
4. Who informed the Minuteman of the narrator's whereabouts?
5. Which description best fits the narrator's New York home?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the narrator beats up Bernard O'Hare, what does he do?
2. Why does George Kraft say he wants to start a new life with the narrator and Resi?
3. What does the narrator suggests happened to George Kraft's pipe?
4. Describe Resi's reaction to the news that her dog must be killed.
5. How does information regarding the narrator's whereabouts end up in The White Christian Minuteman?
6. How and where does the narrator learn the lurid details of his father-in-law's death and what does the narrator find troubling about the article, besides the fact that it is about the death of someone he knows?
7. How does Resi Noth die and what is the reason?
8. What is the gist of Bernard O'Hare's letter to the narrator?
9. Describe the encounter between Werner von Braun and the narrator when they meet in New York?
10. Describe the encounter at the mailboxes with the unnamed man with the shopping bag.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss friendships in the novel such as the friendships the narrator has with Heinz Schildknecht and George Kraft. Consider the role of deception in these and other relationships in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the process Howard Campbell goes through from hiding from prosecution to wanting to face punishment for his crimes.
Essay Topic 3
Howard Campbell discovers that Resi has not only deceived him by posing as Helga's sister, but is also a communist agent involved in a plot to kidnap him. Discuss why Campbell is not particularly shocked or angered by these betrayals.
This section contains 1,754 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)