|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Resi's dog and Mrs. Noth have "fat" bellies?
2. Why did the narrator and his mother begin to avoid each other?
3. What do the letters "W.H.U.B." stand for?
4. What made Goebbels think that Abraham Lincoln might be Jewish?
5. After the war, how many years did the narrator live in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter one, where is the narrator? Why is he there and what is he doing?
2. What is Arpad Kovacs response when he reads the contents of one of Campbell's radio broadcasts?
3. What does Robert Wilson, the Black Fuehrer of Harlem, mean when he says that he and the narrator were on "opposite" sides? Provide some explanation as to why Wilson chose the side he did.
4. Describe Heinz Schildknecht's wife as the narrator portrays her. Why does he not like her?
5. What is the significance of the leather strap that Bernard Mengel mentions?
6. Why is Helga presumed to be dead?
7. What effect does the narrator's broadcast have on Werner Noth?
8. Where and in what kind of place does the narrator live while he is in hiding?
9. Explain why the narrator thinks Helga is "amazingly well-preserved."
10. Describe the narrator's lifestyle while he is in hiding. How does he live and from where does he get his income?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mother Night was originally published in 1961 and is set in that time and in earlier times of the narrator's life, especially World War II. Discuss whether a novel written decades ago relating to events that happened decades before that is relevant today.
Essay Topic 2
Adolf Eichmann plans to use the defense that he was just following orders and is, therefore, not personally responsible for the deaths of millions of Jews. Discuss this defense and whether it is ever acceptable.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Resi's behavior when the narrator meets her in the music room before going to the front lines. Does Resi's behavior seem appropriate for a child her age? Why or why not? Discuss how Resi's circumstances may have affected her attitudes and behaviors.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)