|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say Heinz's wife was hard to know?
2. Where does the narrator first see the woman he thinks is Helga when they are reunited?
3. How did the narrator say he ended up in Germany?
4. Which description best fits the narrator's New York home?
5. What childish phrase does the Blue Fairy Godmother tell the narrator that he should not expect to hear for himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the narrator thinks Helga is "amazingly well-preserved."
2. What is Arpad Kovacs response when he reads the contents of one of Campbell's radio broadcasts?
3. Describe the narrator's lifestyle while he is in hiding. How does he live and from where does he get his income?
4. Why was Lionel Jones sent to prison (before he became acquainted with the narrator), and based on what evidence?
5. How and where does the narrator learn the lurid details of his father-in-law's death and what does the narrator find troubling about the article, besides the fact that it is about the death of someone he knows?
6. What frequently occurs in the little park outside the narrator's window that would often get his attention, and what is the significance of this?
7. Describe the narrator's and Helga's careers before the war begins, and how do they support each other in their careers?
8. Where and in what kind of place does the narrator live while he is in hiding?
9. How does information regarding the narrator's whereabouts end up in The White Christian Minuteman?
10. What does Robert Wilson, the Black Fuehrer of Harlem, mean when he says that he and the narrator were on "opposite" sides? Provide some explanation as to why Wilson chose the side he did.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the treatment of Nazis in Mother Night to portrayals of Nazis in other works of literature, movies, or television shows (some examples: Schindler's List, Sophie's Choice, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Sound of Music, Life is Beautiful, Hogan's Heroes, etc.). Does the novel present Nazis in a more or less favorable light than other works? Does the treatment of Nazis in Mother Night seem more or less realistic?
Essay Topic 2
The novel seems to present most Nazis as being sane and rational, but presents the members and friends of Lionel Jones' hate group as being irrational and paranoid. Discuss why members of the two groups receive different treatment in the novel. Be sure to consider the narrator's role in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Adolf Eichmann says he plans to use the defense that he was just a soldier following orders. Discuss whether this is a sufficient defense in a war crimes hearing or trial.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)