|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides the United States, Jones says his Minuteman publication has a small circulation in what country?
2. Arpad Kovacs despises Jews who did not do what?
3. What made Goebbels think that Abraham Lincoln might be Jewish?
4. What does Arpad Kovacs call people who did nothing to save their own lives or anyone else's lives?
5. Arpad Kovacs says he joined the Nazi S.S. The S.S. is famous for being what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had Father Keeley been "unfrocked"?
2. Describe Heinz Schildknecht's wife as the narrator portrays her. Why does he not like her?
3. How does information regarding the narrator's whereabouts end up in The White Christian Minuteman?
4. Why is Helga presumed to be dead?
5. What reason does Andor Gutman give for thinking that the position of "corpse-carrier" would be a good job?
6. Briefly explain the "Nation of Two" the narrator frequently mentions. What is its original meaning and what does it signify to the narrator personally?
7. Describe the narrator's and Helga's careers before the war begins, and how do they support each other in their careers?
8. Describe the Free American Corps. What was its purpose and how successful was it?
9. How does the narrator describe The White Christian Minuteman and what is his reaction to it arriving in his mailbox?
10. Why was Lionel Jones sent to prison (before he became acquainted with the narrator), and based on what evidence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the process Howard Campbell goes through from hiding from prosecution to wanting to face punishment for his crimes.
Essay Topic 2
Mother Night was originally published in 1961 and is set in that time and in earlier times of the narrator's life, especially World War II. Discuss whether a novel written decades ago relating to events that happened decades before that is relevant today.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the treatment of Nazis in Mother Night to portrayals of Nazis in other works of literature, movies, or television shows (some examples: Schindler's List, Sophie's Choice, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Sound of Music, Life is Beautiful, Hogan's Heroes, etc.). Does the novel present Nazis in a more or less favorable light than other works? Does the treatment of Nazis in Mother Night seem more or less realistic?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)