|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the city in which Campbell, Jr. sits in jail waiting for his trial to begin?
2. The Blue Fairy Godmother tells the narrator that to do his job right, he will have to:
3. The narrator tells Epstein's mother that "auf wiedersehen" means "goodbye" in German, but she corrects him by telling him it more precisely means:
4. Friedmann is the director of what?
5. Where does the narrator say he met Rudolf Hoess?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe The White Christian Minuteman and what is his reaction to it arriving in his mailbox?
2. What is Abraham Epstein's mother hoping to prove when she speaks to the narrator in German?
3. What is Goebbels' response to Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?
4. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
5. Where and in what kind of place does the narrator live while he is in hiding?
6. Briefly explain the "Nation of Two" the narrator frequently mentions. What is its original meaning and what does it signify to the narrator personally?
7. How does information regarding the narrator's whereabouts end up in The White Christian Minuteman?
8. In chapter one, where is the narrator? Why is he there and what is he doing?
9. What is the gist of Bernard O'Hare's letter to the narrator?
10. Of what does the Haifa Institute consider Heinz Schildknecht to be an expert and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel seems to present most Nazis as being sane and rational, but presents the members and friends of Lionel Jones' hate group as being irrational and paranoid. Discuss why members of the two groups receive different treatment in the novel. Be sure to consider the narrator's role in the story.
Essay Topic 2
A friend of yours is considering reading Mother Night and wants your opinion. Write your friend a letter telling him or her what you think of the novel. Do you think it's a good novel or a waste of time? Discuss reasons for your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Mother Night was originally published in 1961 and is set in that time and in earlier times of the narrator's life, especially World War II. Discuss whether a novel written decades ago relating to events that happened decades before that is relevant today.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)