Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ironic flaw in the design on the hilt of the narrator's dagger?
2. What fact does the narrator never reveal to his wife?
3. Who was Rudolph Franz Hoess?
4. Why did Resi remove her mittens when she was sitting in the music room?
5. What made Lionel Jones a wealthy man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Goebbels' response to Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?
2. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
3. In the last chapter, what surprising detail is revealed about Heinz Schildknecht?
4. Describe Heinz Schildknecht's wife as the narrator portrays her. Why does he not like her?
5. Describe what happened to the narrator after being beaten and knocked unconscious.
6. Describe the narrator's and Helga's careers before the war begins, and how do they support each other in their careers?
7. Describe the narrator's encounter with Adolf Eichmann in the Tel Aviv jail.
8. What is Dr. Epstein's reaction when the narrator says he wants to turn himself in for war crimes?
9. Describe the planned escape to Mexico. Who was involved and how?
10. Describe the narrator's surroundings when he regains consciousness after being beaten.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of patriotism as presented in the novel compared to your own idea of patriotism. Give your definition of patriotism and discuss what you think patriotism means to some of the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The novel seems to present most Nazis as being sane and rational, but presents the members and friends of Lionel Jones' hate group as being irrational and paranoid. Discuss why members of the two groups receive different treatment in the novel. Be sure to consider the narrator's role in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Mother Night is a fictionalized account related to real events. Discuss whether you think works like Mother Night help us to understand historical events better or if pure historical accounts alone are sufficient. You may want to discuss whether historical novels have a place in a history class or belong only in a literature course.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)