|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator claims he didn't really steal his friend's motorcycle, but . . .
2. What is one thing that Heinz was willing to do for his motorcycle that he was not willing to do for his wife?
3. What is the city in which Campbell, Jr. sits in jail waiting for his trial to begin?
4. Which of the following is NOT a revelation that Mr. Noth, Helga's father, reveals to the narrator:
5. Arpad Kovacs says he joined the Nazi S.S. The S.S. is famous for being what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Resi's reaction to the news that her dog must be killed.
2. How does information regarding the narrator's whereabouts end up in The White Christian Minuteman?
3. Of what does the Haifa Institute consider Heinz Schildknecht to be an expert and why?
4. What is Goebbels' response to Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?
5. What happened to members of the Sonderkommando when their job was done? How were they replaced?
6. Where and in what kind of place does the narrator live while he is in hiding?
7. In chapter one, where is the narrator? Why is he there and what is he doing?
8. Describe Heinz Schildknecht's wife as the narrator portrays her. Why does he not like her?
9. Describe the narrator's lifestyle while he is in hiding. How does he live and from where does he get his income?
10. How does the narrator describe The White Christian Minuteman and what is his reaction to it arriving in his mailbox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss nationalism and patriotism as it relates to the novel. Does the novel handle these ideas as generally good, bad, or neutral? How does the narrator feel about these issues? Be sure to use examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the process Howard Campbell goes through from hiding from prosecution to wanting to face punishment for his crimes.
Essay Topic 3
The novel seems to present most Nazis as being sane and rational, but presents the members and friends of Lionel Jones' hate group as being irrational and paranoid. Discuss why members of the two groups receive different treatment in the novel. Be sure to consider the narrator's role in the story.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)