|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the White Christian Minuteman?
2. What did the narrator's father insist was not for children, but the narrator looked at anyway?
3. Where does the narrator say he met Rudolf Hoess?
4. Arpad Kovacs says he joined the Nazi S.S. The S.S. is famous for being what?
5. According to the narrator, what was the only thing about Helga that had changed since he last saw her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert Wilson, the Black Fuehrer of Harlem, mean when he says that he and the narrator were on "opposite" sides? Provide some explanation as to why Wilson chose the side he did.
2. Describe the narrator's surroundings when he regains consciousness after being beaten.
3. After the narrator beats up Bernard O'Hare, what does he do?
4. Describe the appearance of the Iron Guardsmen.
5. Describe Resi's reaction to the news that her dog must be killed.
6. Why is Helga presumed to be dead?
7. Describe the planned escape to Mexico. Who was involved and how?
8. What is the significance of the leather strap that Bernard Mengel mentions?
9. How does information regarding the narrator's whereabouts end up in The White Christian Minuteman?
10. In chapter one, where is the narrator? Why is he there and what is he doing?
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role ethics plays in the lives of the characters during and after the war. Do many of the characters behave ethically? Be sure to cite examples of situations where a character's behavior may have been different if he or she had been in a different situation.
Essay Topic 2
Mother Night was originally published in 1961 and is set in that time and in earlier times of the narrator's life, especially World War II. Discuss whether a novel written decades ago relating to events that happened decades before that is relevant today.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Resi's behavior when the narrator meets her in the music room before going to the front lines. Does Resi's behavior seem appropriate for a child her age? Why or why not? Discuss how Resi's circumstances may have affected her attitudes and behaviors.
This section contains 1,596 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)