|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator's father insist was not for children, but the narrator looked at anyway?
2. How does Bernard O'Hare, who had captured the narrator in Germany, get the narrator's address?
3. Which of the following is NOT a revelation that Mr. Noth, Helga's father, reveals to the narrator:
4. Which of the following is NOT a symbol that the narrator had drawn in the dust of his windowpanes:
5. From where does Alvin Dobrowitz say the narrator's and the Blue Fairy Godmother's sign and countersign were taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's mother and what is the "queer demonstration" she gives?
2. Briefly explain the "Nation of Two" the narrator frequently mentions. What is its original meaning and what does it signify to the narrator personally?
3. What is Arpad Kovacs response when he reads the contents of one of Campbell's radio broadcasts?
4. How and where does the narrator learn the lurid details of his father-in-law's death and what does the narrator find troubling about the article, besides the fact that it is about the death of someone he knows?
5. Explain why the narrator thinks Helga is "amazingly well-preserved."
6. Describe the narrator's lifestyle while he is in hiding. How does he live and from where does he get his income?
7. What frequently occurs in the little park outside the narrator's window that would often get his attention, and what is the significance of this?
8. Where and in what kind of place does the narrator live while he is in hiding?
9. What is Abraham Epstein's mother hoping to prove when she speaks to the narrator in German?
10. In chapter one, where is the narrator? Why is he there and what is he doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A friend of yours is considering reading Mother Night and wants your opinion. Write your friend a letter telling him or her what you think of the novel. Do you think it's a good novel or a waste of time? Discuss reasons for your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Mother Night is a fictionalized account related to real events. Discuss whether you think works like Mother Night help us to understand historical events better or if pure historical accounts alone are sufficient. You may want to discuss whether historical novels have a place in a history class or belong only in a literature course.
Essay Topic 3
Howard Campbell discovers that Resi has not only deceived him by posing as Helga's sister, but is also a communist agent involved in a plot to kidnap him. Discuss why Campbell is not particularly shocked or angered by these betrayals.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)