|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator's father insist was not for children, but the narrator looked at anyway?
2. Who is the "Blue Fairy Godmother"?
3. With what American expression is the narrator not familiar when he first meets Frank Wirtanen?
4. What is one thing that Heinz was willing to do for his motorcycle that he was not willing to do for his wife?
5. What is the surprise that Rev. Jones and his entourage present to the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had Father Keeley been "unfrocked"?
2. Describe the Free American Corps. What was its purpose and how successful was it?
3. What frequently occurs in the little park outside the narrator's window that would often get his attention, and what is the significance of this?
4. What is the gist of Bernard O'Hare's letter to the narrator?
5. What happened to members of the Sonderkommando when their job was done? How were they replaced?
6. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
7. What reason does Andor Gutman give for thinking that the position of "corpse-carrier" would be a good job?
8. What effect does the narrator's broadcast have on Werner Noth?
9. Why was Lionel Jones sent to prison (before he became acquainted with the narrator), and based on what evidence?
10. Describe the narrator's and Helga's careers before the war begins, and how do they support each other in their careers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mother Night was originally published in 1961 and is set in that time and in earlier times of the narrator's life, especially World War II. Discuss whether a novel written decades ago relating to events that happened decades before that is relevant today.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss friendships in the novel such as the friendships the narrator has with Heinz Schildknecht and George Kraft. Consider the role of deception in these and other relationships in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Resi's behavior when the narrator meets her in the music room before going to the front lines. Does Resi's behavior seem appropriate for a child her age? Why or why not? Discuss how Resi's circumstances may have affected her attitudes and behaviors.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)