|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which city does the narrator say was "Hell" or "Purgatory" for him?
2. How many brothers and sisters does the narrator have?
3. What childish phrase does the Blue Fairy Godmother tell the narrator that he should not expect to hear for himself?
4. What is the city in which Campbell, Jr. sits in jail waiting for his trial to begin?
5. Comparing himself to Lionel Jones, the narrator insists that he is neither __________ nor __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Resi's reaction to the news that her dog must be killed.
2. Describe the narrator's lifestyle while he is in hiding. How does he live and from where does he get his income?
3. What reason does Andor Gutman give for thinking that the position of "corpse-carrier" would be a good job?
4. Describe the Free American Corps. What was its purpose and how successful was it?
5. How does information regarding the narrator's whereabouts end up in The White Christian Minuteman?
6. Describe the narrator's mother and what is the "queer demonstration" she gives?
7. Why is Helga presumed to be dead?
8. What does Robert Wilson, the Black Fuehrer of Harlem, mean when he says that he and the narrator were on "opposite" sides? Provide some explanation as to why Wilson chose the side he did.
9. What effect does the narrator's broadcast have on Werner Noth?
10. Describe Heinz Schildknecht's wife as the narrator portrays her. Why does he not like her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mother Night was originally published in 1961 and is set in that time and in earlier times of the narrator's life, especially World War II. Discuss whether a novel written decades ago relating to events that happened decades before that is relevant today.
Essay Topic 2
The novel seems to present most Nazis as being sane and rational, but presents the members and friends of Lionel Jones' hate group as being irrational and paranoid. Discuss why members of the two groups receive different treatment in the novel. Be sure to consider the narrator's role in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss nationalism and patriotism as it relates to the novel. Does the novel handle these ideas as generally good, bad, or neutral? How does the narrator feel about these issues? Be sure to use examples to support your argument.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)