|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the narrator born?
2. What is the surprise that Rev. Jones and his entourage present to the narrator?
3. Which characteristic does NOT describe Howard W. Campbell, Jr.'s father?
4. What is one thing that Heinz was willing to do for his motorcycle that he was not willing to do for his wife?
5. When the narrator was serving as an American agent, how did he send coded information out of Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the narrator thinks Helga is "amazingly well-preserved."
2. What is the significance of the leather strap that Bernard Mengel mentions?
3. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
4. What effect does the narrator's broadcast have on Werner Noth?
5. Where and in what kind of place does the narrator live while he is in hiding?
6. What is Arpad Kovacs response when he reads the contents of one of Campbell's radio broadcasts?
7. Why was Lionel Jones sent to prison (before he became acquainted with the narrator), and based on what evidence?
8. Describe the narrator's lifestyle while he is in hiding. How does he live and from where does he get his income?
9. What reason does Andor Gutman give for thinking that the position of "corpse-carrier" would be a good job?
10. What does Robert Wilson, the Black Fuehrer of Harlem, mean when he says that he and the narrator were on "opposite" sides? Provide some explanation as to why Wilson chose the side he did.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the younger characters in the novel, such as Dr. Epstein and the narrator's Israeli-born guard, think discussing what happened in the death camps pointless or irrelevant. Discuss whether these attitudes are healthy examples of people trying to get on with their lives and not be burdened by the past or a troubling example of living in denial.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role ethics plays in the lives of the characters during and after the war. Do many of the characters behave ethically? Be sure to cite examples of situations where a character's behavior may have been different if he or she had been in a different situation.
Essay Topic 3
The novel deals with many sobering topics such as war, genocide, racism, and suicide. Discuss your opinions of the way the novel handles these sensitive topics. For example, does the novel include too many lurid details or not enough? Should the novel have included more humor to lighten the dark tone or would that have distracted from the seriousness of the subject?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)