|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Andor Gutman explains that "Sonderkommando" means "special detail." What horrific "special detail" did Andor Gutman say members of the Sonderkommando had to perform?
2. What did the narrator receive in the mail after his address was published in the Minuteman?
3. The narrator tells Epstein's mother that "auf wiedersehen" means "goodbye" in German, but she corrects him by telling him it more precisely means:
4. Arpad Kovacs was personally congratulated by __________, whom he would have killed had he known how important he was.
5. When the narrator does not want to discuss politics when they are alone in his apartment, what does he ask Helga to ask him about instead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frequently occurs in the little park outside the narrator's window that would often get his attention, and what is the significance of this?
2. What is Resi's explanation for tricking the narrator into thinking she is her dead sister?
3. What does Robert Wilson, the Black Fuehrer of Harlem, mean when he says that he and the narrator were on "opposite" sides? Provide some explanation as to why Wilson chose the side he did.
4. What is the gist of Bernard O'Hare's letter to the narrator?
5. Why does George Kraft say he wants to start a new life with the narrator and Resi?
6. Briefly explain the "Nation of Two" the narrator frequently mentions. What is its original meaning and what does it signify to the narrator personally?
7. What is the plot of "The Goblet"?
8. What inspires August Krapptauer to start a youth movement and what is its key aim?
9. Describe Bernard O'Hare's life after the war.
10. Why had Father Keeley been "unfrocked"?
Essay Topic 1
Compare the treatment of Nazis in Mother Night to portrayals of Nazis in other works of literature, movies, or television shows (some examples: Schindler's List, Sophie's Choice, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Sound of Music, Life is Beautiful, Hogan's Heroes, etc.). Does the novel present Nazis in a more or less favorable light than other works? Does the treatment of Nazis in Mother Night seem more or less realistic?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss nationalism and patriotism as it relates to the novel. Does the novel handle these ideas as generally good, bad, or neutral? How does the narrator feel about these issues? Be sure to use examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Adolf Eichmann plans to use the defense that he was just following orders and is, therefore, not personally responsible for the deaths of millions of Jews. Discuss this defense and whether it is ever acceptable.
This section contains 1,726 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)