|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the letters "W.H.U.B." stand for?
2. When they are reunited, what does Helga say she will do if the narrator has no room for her in his life?
3. What secret does Resi reveal to the narrator before he leaves for the front lines?
4. What is George Kraft's real name?
5. What does the narrator notice about Lionel Jones' hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Resi's reaction to the news that her dog must be killed.
2. Explain why the narrator thinks Helga is "amazingly well-preserved."
3. Describe Heinz Schildknecht's wife as the narrator portrays her. Why does he not like her?
4. In chapter one, where is the narrator? Why is he there and what is he doing?
5. Of what does the Haifa Institute consider Heinz Schildknecht to be an expert and why?
6. Describe the Free American Corps. What was its purpose and how successful was it?
7. Describe the narrator's mother and what is the "queer demonstration" she gives?
8. What frequently occurs in the little park outside the narrator's window that would often get his attention, and what is the significance of this?
9. What is Arpad Kovacs response when he reads the contents of one of Campbell's radio broadcasts?
10. What does Robert Wilson, the Black Fuehrer of Harlem, mean when he says that he and the narrator were on "opposite" sides? Provide some explanation as to why Wilson chose the side he did.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, does Howard Campbell ever redeem himself for his crimes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of patriotism as presented in the novel compared to your own idea of patriotism. Give your definition of patriotism and discuss what you think patriotism means to some of the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the treatment of Nazis in Mother Night to portrayals of Nazis in other works of literature, movies, or television shows (some examples: Schindler's List, Sophie's Choice, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Sound of Music, Life is Beautiful, Hogan's Heroes, etc.). Does the novel present Nazis in a more or less favorable light than other works? Does the treatment of Nazis in Mother Night seem more or less realistic?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)