Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ironic flaw in the design on the hilt of the narrator's dagger?
2. What fact does the narrator never reveal to his wife?
3. Who was Rudolph Franz Hoess?
4. Why did Resi remove her mittens when she was sitting in the music room?
5. What made Lionel Jones a wealthy man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Goebbels' response to Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?
2. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
3. In the last chapter, what surprising detail is revealed about Heinz Schildknecht?
4. Describe Heinz Schildknecht's wife as the narrator portrays her. Why does he not like her?
5. Describe what happened to the narrator after being beaten and knocked unconscious.
6. Describe the narrator's and Helga's careers before the war begins, and how do they support each other in their careers?
7. Describe the narrator's encounter with Adolf Eichmann in the Tel Aviv jail.
8. What is Dr. Epstein's reaction when the narrator says he wants to turn himself in for war crimes?
9. Describe the planned escape to Mexico. Who was involved and how?
10. Describe the narrator's surroundings when he regains consciousness after being beaten.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of patriotism as presented in the novel compared to your own idea of patriotism. Give your definition of patriotism and discuss what you think patriotism means to some of the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, does Howard Campbell ever redeem himself for his crimes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Howard Campbell discovers that Resi has not only deceived him by posing as Helga's sister, but is also a communist agent involved in a plot to kidnap him. Discuss why Campbell is not particularly shocked or angered by these betrayals.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)