|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "booty" that the narrator and Frank Wirtanen discuss?
(a) Lionel Jones' stash of weapons and ammunition.
(b) The trunk filled with the narrator's writings.
(c) George Kraft's paintings.
(d) A part of Resi's body.
2. The office where the narrator is held after he is arrested at Jones' place is located in what famous building?
(a) The Chrysler Building.
(b) The Empire State Building.
(c) The Sears Tower.
(d) The World Trade Center.
3. What does the narrator call Werner von Braun?
(a) The Thomas Jefferson of the Space Age.
(b) The Abraham Lincoln of Physics.
(c) An Albert Einstein wannabe.
(d) The George Washington of Science.
4. For what "crime" was Stepan Bodovskov arrested, tried, and shot?
5. What is one of the first things the narrator says after he wakes up from the beating?
(a) I gotta stop drinking.
(b) (To Resi) Who are you?
(c) I've joined the Hottentots!
(d) Did somebody get the number of the bus that ran over me?
Short Answer Questions
1. What false name does George Kraft suggest for the narrator?
2. What characteristics do all the guardsmen at Krapptauer's memorial have in common?
3. Which actor does the G-man say should play the role of George Kraft in a movie?
4. What is the topic of Resi's speech at the Iron Guard meeting?
5. What does the narrator mean when he says, "alles kaput"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the planned escape to Mexico. Who was involved and how?
2. According to Frank Wirtanen, why do the Russians want to get their hands on the narrator?
3. Describe what happened to the narrator after being beaten and knocked unconscious.
4. Why does George Kraft say he wants to start a new life with the narrator and Resi?
5. When the narrator returns to his ransacked attic home, what does it remind him of?
6. Describe the encounter at the mailboxes with the unnamed man with the shopping bag.
7. Describe the narrator's surroundings when he regains consciousness after being beaten.
8. Describe the schoolteacher's wife's behavior in the bomb shelter. How does her husband respond?
9. How does Resi Noth die and what is the reason?
10. Describe the offensive drawing that Kraft uses for target practice. Why does the narrator say he drew the "ludicrous" cartoon, and what does he himself think about it?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)