|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say is a "snaggle-toothed thought machine"?
(b) A hate group.
(c) A totalitarian mind.
(d) The G-men.
2. How did the narrator and Helga feel after their homes had been bombed, at least for a moment?
(a) Like Romeo and Juliet.
(b) Like there was no more reason to live.
(c) Like Noah and his wife.
(d) Like Adam and Eve.
3. To the narrator, the imaginary lines of international borders are as unreal as . . .
(a) UFOs and space aliens.
(b) Sasquatch and Yeti.
(c) Elvis and the Beatles.
(d) Elves and pixies.
4. What does the narrator notice about the air when he returns to the attic?
(a) It is clean.
(b) It smells of poisonous gas.
(c) It is filled with dust.
(d) It still smells of Resi's perfume.
5. How does the narrator describe the sound of the bombs dropping as he and Helga are sitting in the bomb shelter?
(a) Like a racecar engine revving.
(b) Like they are walking.
(c) Like they are dropping a set of 500 lb. weights.
(d) Like they are jumping off a diving board.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of Resi's speech at the Iron Guard meeting?
2. As the narrator recovers in Lionel Jones' basement, what does Resi tell the narrator Jones has arranged?
3. What does Wirtanen think the Russians would do to get the narrator to cooperate?
4. After the narrator is released from arrest after the raid, what does he say he no longer has that kept him moving through "so many dead and pointless years"?
5. What is in the capsule that Resi put in her mouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's surroundings when he regains consciousness after being beaten.
2. According to Frank Wirtanen, why do the Russians want to get their hands on the narrator?
3. What does the narrator suggests happened to George Kraft's pipe?
4. What does Frank Wirtanen say will happen to Jones, Keeley, the Black Fuehrer, and the Iron Guardsmen after the raid?
5. The patrolman the narrator meets outside his home is fascinated with the effects chemicals have on human behavior. What does the patrolman say are ways that chemicals affect human behavior and what are some examples he cites?
6. What is the Memoirs of a Monogamous Casanova and why did the narrator not want it to be published?
7. Describe the offensive drawing that Kraft uses for target practice. Why does the narrator say he drew the "ludicrous" cartoon, and what does he himself think about it?
8. What does the narrator tell Frank Wirtanen that he may have done with his life if Germany had won the war?
9. What is the plot of "The Goblet"?
10. Describe what Stepan Bodovskov does with the narrator's writings. What is the result?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)