|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the schoolteacher's children behave in the bomb shelter?
(a) They scream at their father.
(b) They never bat an eye.
(c) They cry hysterically.
(d) They laugh thinking it's all part of a big game.
2. The narrator compares the way "big Nazis" dance to what fictional character?
(a) Mickey Mouse.
(b) Betty Boop.
(c) Winnie the Pooh.
(d) Donald Duck.
3. What was George Kraft using as target practice in Jones' cellar?
(a) Beer bottles.
(b) The black beetles that crawled on the floor and walls.
(c) A racist caricature of a Jewish man.
(d) A portrait of President Kennedy.
4. Which of the following is NOT a place the narrator met with the Blue Fairy Godmother?
(a) In a dining hall in Wiesbaden.
(b) In his New York apartment.
(c) A vacant shop across the street from Lionel Jones' house.
(d) On a park bench in the Tiergarten in Berlin.
5. As the narrator recovers in Lionel Jones' basement, what does Resi tell the narrator Jones has arranged?
(a) For Father Keeley to marry them that afternoon.
(b) For everyone in the group to commit mass suicide.
(c) To have the narrator surrender himself to Israeli authorities in hopes they will grant him leniency.
(d) For them to leave the country when he is well enough to travel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator notice about the air when he returns to the attic?
2. For what "crime" was Stepan Bodovskov arrested, tried, and shot?
3. After his conversation with Eichmann, what does the narrator decide is not such a good defense after all?
4. What causes the Holy Grail to disappear in the narrator's play?
5. The office where the narrator is held after he is arrested at Jones' place is located in what famous building?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the narrator returns to his ransacked attic home, what does it remind him of?
2. Describe Lazlo Szombathy, the man who uses the rope intended for the narrator. What had he done in his native country and after coming to America?
3. How did the narrator meet Werner von Braun and what detail does he recall from that meeting?
4. What does the narrator suggests happened to George Kraft's pipe?
5. What does the narrator tell Frank Wirtanen that he may have done with his life if Germany had won the war?
6. Summarize the key points of the narrator's radio address that was played at the Iron Guard meeting.
7. Describe the encounter at the mailboxes with the unnamed man with the shopping bag.
8. Where does Helga say she found the collection of the narrator's works? What is the significance of this place?
9. Describe the planned escape to Mexico. Who was involved and how?
10. Why does the narrator say he "froze" after he is released after the raid?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)