|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator notice about the air when he returns to the attic?
(a) It is clean.
(b) It still smells of Resi's perfume.
(c) It smells of poisonous gas.
(d) It is filled with dust.
2. What interesting fact does Frank Wirtanen tell the narrator about the people who fed him information for the radio broadcasts?
(a) They were all Jewish.
(b) They were all women.
(c) They were all high school students.
(d) They all survived the war.
3. What is one detail of Resi's post-war life that is true?
(a) She worked various odd jobs on her way back to Berlin.
(b) She worked in a cigarette factory.
(c) She was an interpreter in a Siberian prison camp.
(d) She was briefly married to Heinz Schildknecht in hopes that he could put her in touch with the narrator.
4. What does George Kraft do when he realized the narrator was on to his scheme?
(a) Takes Resi hostage.
(b) Reaches for his pistol.
(c) Runs away.
(d) Calls the narrator a liar.
5. What "gift" does Frank Wirtanen say that the narrator and George Kraft have in common?
(a) They are creative.
(b) The things they did during the war don't bother them now.
(c) They can be many things at once and all sincerely.
(d) They can live in any country anywhere and it would not matter because one place is as good as another.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprising revelation does Helga give the narrator after their first night back together?
2. In a note, what does the garbage collector, Lazlo Szombathy, claim he knew how to do?
3. What was George Kraft using as target practice in Jones' cellar?
4. How does the narrator describe the sound of the bombs dropping as he and Helga are sitting in the bomb shelter?
5. Why does the narrator think his drawing is so popular?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator tell Frank Wirtanen that he may have done with his life if Germany had won the war?
2. Why does George Kraft say he wants to start a new life with the narrator and Resi?
3. Describe the planned escape to Mexico. Who was involved and how?
4. The patrolman the narrator meets outside his home is fascinated with the effects chemicals have on human behavior. What does the patrolman say are ways that chemicals affect human behavior and what are some examples he cites?
5. Describe the encounter at the mailboxes with the unnamed man with the shopping bag.
6. Describe what Stepan Bodovskov does with the narrator's writings. What is the result?
7. Describe the encounter between Werner von Braun and the narrator when they meet in New York?
8. Describe the narrator's surroundings when he regains consciousness after being beaten.
9. According to Frank Wirtanen, why do the Russians want to get their hands on the narrator?
10. Why does the narrator say he "froze" after he is released after the raid?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)