|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heinz Schildknecht love above all else?
(a) His career.
(b) His wife.
(c) His country.
(d) His motorcycle.
2. What is the narrator's "little Eden"?
(a) A private park where children play.
(b) The view of Jerusalem from his prison window.
(c) His inlaws' estate near Berlin.
(d) His life with Helga.
3. Friedmann is the director of what?
(a) The Nazi S.S.
(b) The prison where Campbell is incarcerated.
(c) The Haifa Institute for Documentation of War Criminals.
(d) The Yad Vashem Museum in Jerusalem.
4. What fact does the narrator never reveal to his wife?
(a) That he was part Jewish.
(b) That he was a spy.
(c) That he had cheated on her.
(d) That he was born in the United States.
5. After the war, how many years did the narrator live in New York?
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret does Resi reveal to the narrator before he leaves for the front lines?
2. How many brothers and sisters does the narrator have?
3. What made Lionel Jones a wealthy man?
4. What did the narrator's father insist was not for children, but the narrator looked at anyway?
5. How does the narrator get money to live on while hiding in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Arpad Kovacs response when he reads the contents of one of Campbell's radio broadcasts?
2. What is Abraham Epstein's mother hoping to prove when she speaks to the narrator in German?
3. Explain why the narrator thinks Helga is "amazingly well-preserved."
4. What is Goebbels' response to Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?
5. Why is Helga presumed to be dead?
6. Describe Heinz Schildknecht's wife as the narrator portrays her. Why does he not like her?
7. How does the narrator describe The White Christian Minuteman and what is his reaction to it arriving in his mailbox?
8. Briefly explain the "Nation of Two" the narrator frequently mentions. What is its original meaning and what does it signify to the narrator personally?
9. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
10. Describe the narrator's and Helga's careers before the war begins, and how do they support each other in their careers?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)