|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator say his plays were medieval romances and as political as ____________.
(a) Chocolate éclairs.
(b) Vanilla ice-cream.
(c) Crème Brûlée.
(d) Apple pie.
2. What does the narrator do with his broom?
(a) Carves the handle with his wood-carving set.
(b) Offers to sweep the hallways of his building in exchange for rent.
(c) Gives it to his neighbor's daughter who wanted to dress as a witch for Halloween.
(d) Hits an attacker over the head with it.
3. How does the narrator get money to live on while hiding in New York?
(a) By writing articles for The White Christian Minuteman.
(b) By selling valuables he had stolen from Germans during the war.
(c) From the interest earned on an inheritance left to him by his parents.
(d) By selling chess sets he carves from wood.
4. Who is the "Blue Fairy Godmother"?
(a) Helga Noth.
(b) Major Frank Wirtanen.
(c) Abraham Epstein's mother.
(d) Rudolph Hoess.
5. According to the narrator, what was the only thing about Helga that had changed since he last saw her?
(a) She suffered from dementia and did not know who he was.
(b) Her hair had become snowy white.
(c) She was blind.
(d) She had gained a lot of weight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator say he met Rudolf Hoess?
2. What is one thing that Heinz was willing to do for his motorcycle that he was not willing to do for his wife?
3. What childish phrase does the Blue Fairy Godmother tell the narrator that he should not expect to hear for himself?
4. What secret does Resi reveal to the narrator before he leaves for the front lines?
5. How are Resi and Helga related?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the gist of Bernard O'Hare's letter to the narrator?
2. Where and in what kind of place does the narrator live while he is in hiding?
3. How does information regarding the narrator's whereabouts end up in The White Christian Minuteman?
4. Describe the narrator's and Helga's careers before the war begins, and how do they support each other in their careers?
5. Why is Helga presumed to be dead?
6. What frequently occurs in the little park outside the narrator's window that would often get his attention, and what is the significance of this?
7. Describe the narrator's mother and what is the "queer demonstration" she gives?
8. How does the narrator describe The White Christian Minuteman and what is his reaction to it arriving in his mailbox?
9. Of what does the Haifa Institute consider Heinz Schildknecht to be an expert and why?
10. Describe the narrator's lifestyle while he is in hiding. How does he live and from where does he get his income?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)