|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a revelation that Mr. Noth, Helga's father, reveals to the narrator:
(a) He would have had the narrator shot if he found out he was a spy.
(b) Helga is not really his daughter.
(c) He had opposed the marriage between Helga and the narrator.
(d) The narrator made him unashamed to be a Nazi.
2. What does the narrator do with his broom?
(a) Hits an attacker over the head with it.
(b) Gives it to his neighbor's daughter who wanted to dress as a witch for Halloween.
(c) Carves the handle with his wood-carving set.
(d) Offers to sweep the hallways of his building in exchange for rent.
3. To what does the narrator compare Resi's dog?
(a) A rat.
(b) A human.
(c) A pig.
(d) An amphibian.
4. When the narrator was serving as an American agent, how did he send coded information out of Germany?
(a) In the form of special mannerisms, pauses, coughs, and stumbles during his broadcasts.
(b) By writing letters to his Native American grandmother in the Navajo language.
(c) By drawing cartoons that revealed a secret message when folded a certain way.
(d) By using acrostics, where the reader would look at the first letter of each word in a newspaper article.
5. From where does Alvin Dobrowitz say the narrator's and the Blue Fairy Godmother's sign and countersign were taken?
(a) The Serenity Prayer.
(b) A song from the Brownies girls' club.
(c) The American Pledge of Allegiance.
(d) The Boy Scout motto.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Howard Campbell write his story?
2. What secret does Resi reveal to the narrator before he leaves for the front lines?
3. The narrator say his plays were medieval romances and as political as ____________.
4. After the war, how many years did the narrator live in New York?
5. What is the White Christian Minuteman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
2. Describe the narrator's lifestyle while he is in hiding. How does he live and from where does he get his income?
3. Explain why the narrator thinks Helga is "amazingly well-preserved."
4. How does information regarding the narrator's whereabouts end up in The White Christian Minuteman?
5. How and where does the narrator learn the lurid details of his father-in-law's death and what does the narrator find troubling about the article, besides the fact that it is about the death of someone he knows?
6. Briefly explain the "Nation of Two" the narrator frequently mentions. What is its original meaning and what does it signify to the narrator personally?
7. Of what does the Haifa Institute consider Heinz Schildknecht to be an expert and why?
8. Why is Helga presumed to be dead?
9. Describe the narrator's mother and what is the "queer demonstration" she gives?
10. Why was Lionel Jones sent to prison (before he became acquainted with the narrator), and based on what evidence?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)