|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What childish phrase does the Blue Fairy Godmother tell the narrator that he should not expect to hear for himself?
(a) I know you are, but what am I?
(c) Tag! You're it.
(d) Finders keepers.
2. From where does Alvin Dobrowitz say the narrator's and the Blue Fairy Godmother's sign and countersign were taken?
(a) A song from the Brownies girls' club.
(b) The American Pledge of Allegiance.
(c) The Boy Scout motto.
(d) The Serenity Prayer.
3. Why do Resi's dog and Mrs. Noth have "fat" bellies?
(a) They are both wearing heavy sweaters with lots of padding to stay warm.
(b) They are both pregnant.
(c) They both suffer from a condition known as "dropsy" as a result of malnutrition.
(d) They had stuffed themselves with all the food in the house before invading armies could steal it.
4. With what American expression is the narrator not familiar when he first meets Frank Wirtanen?
(a) Takes one to know one.
(b) None of your beeswax.
(c) Zip it.
(d) What's up, doc?
5. The narrator say his plays were medieval romances and as political as ____________.
(a) Chocolate éclairs.
(b) Vanilla ice-cream.
(c) Crème Brûlée.
(d) Apple pie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the ways Helga made a living when she was separated from the narrator?
2. How old is Resi Noth when the narrator leaves for the front lines?
3. Which description best fits the narrator's New York home?
4. Which description does NOT apply to Lionel Jones?
5. What famous speech does Goebbels, Head of the German Ministry of Popular Enlightenment and Propaganda, find particularly impressive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Arpad Kovacs response when he reads the contents of one of Campbell's radio broadcasts?
2. What does Robert Wilson, the Black Fuehrer of Harlem, mean when he says that he and the narrator were on "opposite" sides? Provide some explanation as to why Wilson chose the side he did.
3. What is Goebbels' response to Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?
4. What frequently occurs in the little park outside the narrator's window that would often get his attention, and what is the significance of this?
5. Where and in what kind of place does the narrator live while he is in hiding?
6. What is Abraham Epstein's mother hoping to prove when she speaks to the narrator in German?
7. Why had Father Keeley been "unfrocked"?
8. What is the gist of Bernard O'Hare's letter to the narrator?
9. How does the narrator describe The White Christian Minuteman and what is his reaction to it arriving in his mailbox?
10. Describe Resi's reaction to the news that her dog must be killed.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)