|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret does Resi reveal to the narrator before he leaves for the front lines?
(a) That Helga had left the narrator for another man.
(b) That she is pregnant with his baby.
(c) That she knows that Helga is still alive.
(d) That she is in love with him.
2. How does the narrator get money to live on while hiding in New York?
(a) By selling chess sets he carves from wood.
(b) From the interest earned on an inheritance left to him by his parents.
(c) By writing articles for The White Christian Minuteman.
(d) By selling valuables he had stolen from Germans during the war.
3. Where was the narrator born?
(b) Schenectady, New York.
(d) New York City.
4. Arpad Kovacs was personally congratulated by __________, whom he would have killed had he known how important he was.
(a) Adolph Hitler.
(b) General George S. Patton.
(c) Adolph Eichmann.
(d) Winston Churchill.
5. How does Mr. Noth die?
(a) Hanged by slave laborers.
(b) Burned to death when his house is bombed.
(c) In a death camp.
(d) Murdered by the assistant chief of police who wanted his job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prized possession does Werner Noth fear a slave woman will destroy due to carelessness?
2. From whom did the narrator take the motorcycle?
3. What famous speech does Goebbels, Head of the German Ministry of Popular Enlightenment and Propaganda, find particularly impressive?
4. Friedmann is the director of what?
5. What does Arpad Kovacs call people who did nothing to save their own lives or anyone else's lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where and in what kind of place does the narrator live while he is in hiding?
2. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
3. How does the narrator describe The White Christian Minuteman and what is his reaction to it arriving in his mailbox?
4. Describe the narrator's mother and what is the "queer demonstration" she gives?
5. What does Robert Wilson, the Black Fuehrer of Harlem, mean when he says that he and the narrator were on "opposite" sides? Provide some explanation as to why Wilson chose the side he did.
6. Describe Resi's reaction to the news that her dog must be killed.
7. What is the significance of the leather strap that Bernard Mengel mentions?
8. Briefly explain the "Nation of Two" the narrator frequently mentions. What is its original meaning and what does it signify to the narrator personally?
9. Describe the narrator's lifestyle while he is in hiding. How does he live and from where does he get his income?
10. Why had Father Keeley been "unfrocked"?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)