|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What grim task does Werner Noth ask the narrator to do?
(a) Give him a ride to Berlin so he can attend his best friend's funeral.
(b) Burn the carcass of his favorite horse before slave laborers begin to feast upon it.
(c) Shoot Resi's dog.
(d) Help him compose an eloquent suicide note.
2. Which of the following is NOT a symbol that the narrator had drawn in the dust of his windowpanes:
(a) The Stars and Stripes.
(b) A hammer and sickle.
(c) A cross.
(d) A swastika.
3. Andor Gutman tells the narrator that music played through the loud speakers all day long at the prison camp, but was occasionally interrupted by the phrase, "Leichentrager zu Wache." What does "Leichentrager zu Wache" mean?
(a) Take cover because the camp was going to be bombed.
(b) A train filled with prisoners is arriving.
(c) Corpse-carriers to the guardhouse.
(d) Prisoners return to work.
4. Why do Resi's dog and Mrs. Noth have "fat" bellies?
(a) They are both wearing heavy sweaters with lots of padding to stay warm.
(b) They had stuffed themselves with all the food in the house before invading armies could steal it.
(c) They are both pregnant.
(d) They both suffer from a condition known as "dropsy" as a result of malnutrition.
5. Which country did Robert, the limousine driver, support during the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides the United States, Jones says his Minuteman publication has a small circulation in what country?
2. What famous speech does Goebbels, Head of the German Ministry of Popular Enlightenment and Propaganda, find particularly impressive?
3. Of what did the narrator have twenty-six copies?
4. After the war, how many years did the narrator live in New York?
5. What childish phrase does the Blue Fairy Godmother tell the narrator that he should not expect to hear for himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Helga presumed to be dead?
2. Describe the Western Hemisphere University of the Bible. What kind of courses were taught and how could one earn a degree there?
3. What frequently occurs in the little park outside the narrator's window that would often get his attention, and what is the significance of this?
4. What is the significance of the leather strap that Bernard Mengel mentions?
5. How does information regarding the narrator's whereabouts end up in The White Christian Minuteman?
6. What is the gist of Bernard O'Hare's letter to the narrator?
7. Where and in what kind of place does the narrator live while he is in hiding?
8. Explain why the narrator thinks Helga is "amazingly well-preserved."
9. What effect does the narrator's broadcast have on Werner Noth?
10. In chapter one, where is the narrator? Why is he there and what is he doing?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)