|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a note, what does the garbage collector, Lazlo Szombathy, claim he knew how to do?
(a) Speak Japanese.
(b) Bring about world peace.
(c) Play golf.
(d) Cure cancer.
2. Who does the Blue Fairy Godmother say are communist agents?
(a) Resi Noth and George Kraft.
(b) Lionel Jones and Father Keeley.
(c) Himself and the narrator.
(d) Dr. Epstein and his mother.
3. What does the patrolman say has the potential to end crime, war, divorce, child abuse, and several other social ills?
(a) Extraterrestrial beings.
4. After his conversation with Eichmann, what does the narrator decide is not such a good defense after all?
(a) He was just a soldier following orders.
(b) All is fair in love and war.
(c) He didn't know people were actually dying as a result of his work.
(d) He had been completely brainwashed by the German government.
5. What is one of the first things the narrator says after he wakes up from the beating?
(a) (To Resi) Who are you?
(b) I've joined the Hottentots!
(c) Did somebody get the number of the bus that ran over me?
(d) I gotta stop drinking.
6. What was the subject of a note Eichmann sends to the narrator when they are both in jail?
(a) If saying he's sorry will cause the jury to go easy on him.
(b) Whether having a literary agent is necessary.
(c) Whether the narrator has any stock in the company that made Cyklon-B.
(d) If the narrator thinks he's a bad person.
7. What false name does George Kraft suggest for the narrator?
(b) Don Juan.
(c) Don Quixote.
(d) Pancho Villa.
8. What does Lionel Jones claim his organization is doing that the G-man is not?
(a) Obeying the Constitution.
(b) Living in peace and harmony with everyone.
(c) Protecting the Republic.
(d) Serving God.
9. What does Jones' chauffeur says always works even though most other things do not?
(c) Timex watches.
(d) A black man.
10. What does George Kraft do when he realized the narrator was on to his scheme?
(a) Runs away.
(b) Reaches for his pistol.
(c) Calls the narrator a liar.
(d) Takes Resi hostage.
11. In one of her final statements, Resi says of the narrator, "There is nothing left of him but __________ and a pair of eyes."
(d) His mouth.
12. What does the patrolman tell the narrator that chemicals had caused a woman living nearby to do?
(a) Kill her own baby.
(b) Set her apartment on fire.
(c) Kill her husband.
(d) Intentionally ram her car into someone else's.
13. What is Helga's present to the narrator when they are reunited?
(a) His collected works of poems, stories, plays, letters, and one unpublished book.
(b) A motorcycle just like the one he borrowed from Heinz.
(c) Her father's blue vase.
(d) The silver-hilted dagger that he had designed himself.
14. What surprising revelation does Helga give the narrator after their first night back together?
(a) She is there to spy on him.
(b) She has come to serve him with divorce papers.
(c) Their seventeen-year-old son is waiting in a nearby coffee shop.
(d) She is not Helga at all; she is actually Resi.
15. What is the general public response after newspapers begin to publish articles about Howard Campbell?
(a) Fear that the situation could strain relations with other countries.
(b) Support because Campbell followed his convictions, even though they were unpopular.
(c) Anger, outrage, and calls for swift justice.
(d) Nobody cares anymore because the war happened so long ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main reason the Iron Guard boys have their mothers alter their suits instead of going to a tailor?
2. What are Resi, Father Keeley, and the Black Fuehrer doing when the narrator returns from his meeting with Frank Wirtanen?
3. During the raid, Lionel Jones denounces several groups of people. The G-man declares he is a member of one of the groups. Which one?
4. To the narrator, the imaginary lines of international borders are as unreal as . . .
5. What is the actual destination that Lionel Jones arranges for the narrator and the others to go as soon as the narrator is well enough to travel?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)