|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which directive does NOT appear on the sign that the Black Fuehrer of Harlem posts at the Iron Guard meeting?
(a) Serve your country.
(b) Get plenty of education.
(c) Keep your opinions to yourself.
(d) Keep your body clean and strong.
2. What do the narrator and Resi find drawn in blue ink on his mailbox namecard?
(a) A Star of David.
(b) A swastika.
(c) The symbol of a local street gang marking its turf.
(d) A crude drawing of a man smoking a cigar.
3. What is the book, Memoirs of a Monogamous Casanova, about?
(a) The working title of a play about a celebrated Nazi commandant.
(b) The narrator and Helga's sex life as a married couple.
(c) A fictional account of Giacomo Casanova's life after he married and settled down.
(d) The lascivious thoughts of a middle-aged family man with a wild imagination.
4. What does the schoolteacher in the bomb shelter do to silence his hysterical wife?
(a) Sings to her.
(b) Gets her to drink some vodka.
(c) Knocks her out.
(d) Puts his socks on his hands and puts on a puppet show.
5. The narrator is upset when he finds out that Armistice Day had been changed to . . .
(a) Veterans' Day.
(b) Labor Day.
(c) Memorial Day.
(d) Independence Day.
6. What is the misleading title of chapter 23?
(a) Chapter One.
(b) The Last Chapter.
(c) Chapter Six Hundred and Forty-three.
(d) Nothing Interesting Happens after This.
7. What was in the shopping bag of the man who beat up the narrator?
(a) A gun.
(c) A noose.
(d) Copies of the Minuteman.
8. What was the title of a play about a young maiden and a knight who guard the Holy Grail?
(a) Sir Gowan.
(b) Charley's Aunt.
(c) The Goblet.
(d) Grail Quest.
9. What does the narrator mean when he says, "alles kaput"?
(a) When he is arrested and knows he will be turned over to Israeli agents.
(b) Wirtanen's revelation has wiped away his illusions of a friend, a mistress, and a dream.
(c) His gun misfires and he knows it will never work again.
(d) His reaction when he returns to his home to find it completely ransacked.
10. What interesting fact does Frank Wirtanen tell the narrator about the people who fed him information for the radio broadcasts?
(a) They were all women.
(b) They all survived the war.
(c) They were all high school students.
(d) They were all Jewish.
11. What is the "booty" that the narrator and Frank Wirtanen discuss?
(a) The trunk filled with the narrator's writings.
(b) George Kraft's paintings.
(c) A part of Resi's body.
(d) Lionel Jones' stash of weapons and ammunition.
12. What is in the capsule that Resi put in her mouth?
(a) A 2-karat diamond.
(b) A microchip.
13. When the narrator is recovering from the beating, where does George Kraft speculate that he, Resi, and the narrator would go?
(b) The tropics.
14. If someone wished to purchase a copy of Memoirs of a Monogamous Casanova with color illustrations, how much extra would it cost?
(a) Five pounds Sterling.
(b) Forty dollars.
(c) Forty rubles.
(d) Seventy-five Deutschmarks.
15. Where does Helga claim she located the trunk filled with many of the narrator's things?
(a) In the bombed-out ruins of her father's house.
(b) At the Berlin theatre where she and the narrator had worked.
(c) In a secret closet in their old apartment that the new tenants had not discovered.
(d) From a drop site in a park where a note from the Blue Fairy Godmother said it would be.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator think his drawing is so popular?
2. What is the Blue Fairy Godmother's response to the narrator's concerns that his parents knew he was broadcasting Nazi propaganda?
3. In a note, what does the garbage collector, Lazlo Szombathy, claim he knew how to do?
4. What does the narrator say is a "snaggle-toothed thought machine"?
5. Who does the Blue Fairy Godmother say are communist agents?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)