|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the sound of the bombs dropping as he and Helga are sitting in the bomb shelter?
(a) Like they are dropping a set of 500 lb. weights.
(b) Like they are jumping off a diving board.
(c) Like a racecar engine revving.
(d) Like they are walking.
2. What does the patrolman say has the potential to end crime, war, divorce, child abuse, and several other social ills?
(a) Extraterrestrial beings.
3. How did the narrator and Helga feel after their homes had been bombed, at least for a moment?
(a) Like Romeo and Juliet.
(b) Like Adam and Eve.
(c) Like Noah and his wife.
(d) Like there was no more reason to live.
4. What does Jones' chauffeur says always works even though most other things do not?
(b) Timex watches.
(d) A black man.
5. What false name does George Kraft suggest for the narrator?
(b) Pancho Villa.
(c) Don Juan.
(d) Don Quixote.
6. What is one detail of Resi's post-war life that is true?
(a) She was an interpreter in a Siberian prison camp.
(b) She worked in a cigarette factory.
(c) She was briefly married to Heinz Schildknecht in hopes that he could put her in touch with the narrator.
(d) She worked various odd jobs on her way back to Berlin.
7. Which actor does the G-man say should play the role of George Kraft in a movie?
(a) Clark Gable.
(b) Jerry Lewis.
(c) Charlie Chaplin.
(d) Ronald Reagan.
8. What is one of the first things the narrator says after he wakes up from the beating?
(a) I gotta stop drinking.
(b) I've joined the Hottentots!
(c) Did somebody get the number of the bus that ran over me?
(d) (To Resi) Who are you?
9. If someone wished to purchase a copy of Memoirs of a Monogamous Casanova with color illustrations, how much extra would it cost?
(a) Seventy-five Deutschmarks.
(b) Five pounds Sterling.
(c) Forty rubles.
(d) Forty dollars.
10. What is the general public response after newspapers begin to publish articles about Howard Campbell?
(a) Support because Campbell followed his convictions, even though they were unpopular.
(b) Fear that the situation could strain relations with other countries.
(c) Anger, outrage, and calls for swift justice.
(d) Nobody cares anymore because the war happened so long ago.
11. What does the narrator say is a "snaggle-toothed thought machine"?
(a) A hate group.
(b) The G-men.
(c) A totalitarian mind.
12. What snide remark does Resi make as she watches drum majorettes pass by in a parade?
(a) That it's not as good as being a cheerleader.
(b) That Americans must find war a very sexy thing.
(c) That half of the girls will end up pregnant before they graduate.
(d) That being able to do high kicks and twirl batons will help the girls be successful in life.
13. What is in the capsule that Resi put in her mouth?
(a) A microchip.
(c) A 2-karat diamond.
14. The narrator compares the way "big Nazis" dance to what fictional character?
(a) Mickey Mouse.
(b) Betty Boop.
(c) Donald Duck.
(d) Winnie the Pooh.
15. What special ceremony is planned at the weekly meeting of the Iron Guard of the White Sons of the Constitution?
(a) A mock human sacrifice.
(b) Initiation rites for the narrator.
(c) A memorial service for August Krapptauer.
(d) The wedding of Resi and the narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator is upset when he finds out that Armistice Day had been changed to . . .
2. What is the Blue Fairy Godmother's response to the narrator's concerns that his parents knew he was broadcasting Nazi propaganda?
3. What causes the Holy Grail to disappear in the narrator's play?
4. When the narrator asks Adolf Eichmann if he felt that he was guilty of murdering six million Jews, Eichmann replies:
5. When the narrator is recovering from the beating, where does George Kraft speculate that he, Resi, and the narrator would go?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)