|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what "crime" was Stepan Bodovskov arrested, tried, and shot?
2. What does the patrolman say has the potential to end crime, war, divorce, child abuse, and several other social ills?
(d) Extraterrestrial beings.
3. What was unique about Arndt Klopfer's photography?
(a) The photos appear to have a 3-D effect in certain light.
(b) Everyone looks 10-15 years younger.
(c) Everyone appears to have a halo.
(d) He is the only German photographer at the time to use color film.
4. What is the topic of Resi's speech at the Iron Guard meeting?
(a) The importance of holding out for true love.
(b) How the narrator's writings inspired her.
(c) The sacrifices her sister and parents made for the cause they believed in.
(d) Her first-hand experiences with communism.
5. What is the book, Memoirs of a Monogamous Casanova, about?
(a) The working title of a play about a celebrated Nazi commandant.
(b) The lascivious thoughts of a middle-aged family man with a wild imagination.
(c) The narrator and Helga's sex life as a married couple.
(d) A fictional account of Giacomo Casanova's life after he married and settled down.
6. What is unusual about Father Keeley's prayer at the Iron Guard meeting?
(a) It sounds as if Keeley is "speaking in tongues."
(b) It is offered to Satan.
(c) At the end of each sentence in the prayer, the Black Fuehrer beats a drum.
(d) It is a Jewish Seder prayer.
7. Who does the Blue Fairy Godmother say are communist agents?
(a) Lionel Jones and Father Keeley.
(b) Himself and the narrator.
(c) Resi Noth and George Kraft.
(d) Dr. Epstein and his mother.
8. What does Wirtanen tell the narrator that George Kraft had planned to do to him?
(a) Leave him all his worldly possessions.
(b) Kill him and tell the media the job was done by Israeli assassins.
(c) Steal Resi from him.
(d) Kidnap him from Mexico and take him to Russia.
9. Which directive does NOT appear on the sign that the Black Fuehrer of Harlem posts at the Iron Guard meeting?
(a) Keep your opinions to yourself.
(b) Get plenty of education.
(c) Serve your country.
(d) Keep your body clean and strong.
10. The narrator tells Helga he wants to get a bed like their old one that . . .
(a) Was stuffed with goose down.
(b) Provided really good back support.
(c) Could fold up into the wall.
(d) Had a headboard like an Italian sunset.
11. What is the misleading title of chapter 23?
(a) Nothing Interesting Happens after This.
(b) Chapter Six Hundred and Forty-three.
(c) Chapter One.
(d) The Last Chapter.
12. What are Resi, Father Keeley, and the Black Fuehrer doing when the narrator returns from his meeting with Frank Wirtanen?
(a) Talking to the police.
(b) Playing cards.
(c) Organizing a search party.
(d) Preparing for their trip to Mexico.
13. In one of her final statements, Resi says of the narrator, "There is nothing left of him but __________ and a pair of eyes."
(a) His mouth.
14. After the narrator is released from arrest after the raid, what does he say he no longer has that kept him moving through "so many dead and pointless years"?
15. What characteristics do all the guardsmen at Krapptauer's memorial have in common?
(a) They are all wearing sweatshirts from Ivy League schools.
(b) They are all left-handed.
(c) They are all blond and over six feet tall.
(d) They are all senior citizens.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his conversation with Eichmann, what does the narrator decide is not such a good defense after all?
2. What does the narrator call Werner von Braun?
3. What do the narrator and Resi find drawn in blue ink on his mailbox namecard?
4. What does George Kraft think new surroundings and new identities would inspire him and the narrator to do?
5. Regarding Stepan Bodovskov's finding of the narrator's trunk, Frank Wirtanen says he had a trunkful of . . .
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)