|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what "crime" was Stepan Bodovskov arrested, tried, and shot?
2. After his conversation with Eichmann, what does the narrator decide is not such a good defense after all?
(a) He was just a soldier following orders.
(b) He didn't know people were actually dying as a result of his work.
(c) He had been completely brainwashed by the German government.
(d) All is fair in love and war.
3. What does Jones' chauffeur says always works even though most other things do not?
(a) A black man.
(b) Timex watches.
4. What is the topic of Resi's speech at the Iron Guard meeting?
(a) The sacrifices her sister and parents made for the cause they believed in.
(b) The importance of holding out for true love.
(c) How the narrator's writings inspired her.
(d) Her first-hand experiences with communism.
5. What does the narrator say is a "snaggle-toothed thought machine"?
(b) A hate group.
(c) A totalitarian mind.
(d) The G-men.
6. What does George Kraft think new surroundings and new identities would inspire him and the narrator to do?
(a) Be creative: the narrator to write again and Kraft to paint better.
(b) Open a bar near a beach.
(c) Find a wreck of a boat and restore it, then sail around the world.
(d) Find beautiful women to marry and finally start families.
7. The narrator compares the way "big Nazis" dance to what fictional character?
(a) Betty Boop.
(b) Winnie the Pooh.
(c) Donald Duck.
(d) Mickey Mouse.
8. What was the subject of a note Eichmann sends to the narrator when they are both in jail?
(a) Whether having a literary agent is necessary.
(b) If the narrator thinks he's a bad person.
(c) If saying he's sorry will cause the jury to go easy on him.
(d) Whether the narrator has any stock in the company that made Cyklon-B.
9. What does the narrator notice about the air when he returns to the attic?
(a) It smells of poisonous gas.
(b) It is filled with dust.
(c) It is clean.
(d) It still smells of Resi's perfume.
10. What does the patrolman tell the narrator that chemicals had caused a woman living nearby to do?
(a) Kill her own baby.
(b) Kill her husband.
(c) Intentionally ram her car into someone else's.
(d) Set her apartment on fire.
11. What was Lionel Jones' chauffeur's nickname?
(a) The Tojo of Soho.
(b) The Bed-Stuy Mussolini.
(c) The Hitler of Hackensack.
(d) The Black Fuehrer of Harlem.
12. What is unusual about Father Keeley's prayer at the Iron Guard meeting?
(a) It is offered to Satan.
(b) At the end of each sentence in the prayer, the Black Fuehrer beats a drum.
(c) It is a Jewish Seder prayer.
(d) It sounds as if Keeley is "speaking in tongues."
13. Where was the narrator NOT taken after his beating?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The police station.
(c) Lionel Jones' cellar.
(d) Abraham Epstein's apartment.
14. What snide remark does Resi make as she watches drum majorettes pass by in a parade?
(a) That being able to do high kicks and twirl batons will help the girls be successful in life.
(b) That Americans must find war a very sexy thing.
(c) That half of the girls will end up pregnant before they graduate.
(d) That it's not as good as being a cheerleader.
15. The narrator is upset when he finds out that Armistice Day had been changed to . . .
(a) Labor Day.
(b) Independence Day.
(c) Memorial Day.
(d) Veterans' Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was unique about Arndt Klopfer's photography?
2. What is the general public response after newspapers begin to publish articles about Howard Campbell?
3. What was George Kraft using as target practice in Jones' cellar?
4. What is the surprise Lionel Jones presents to the narrator at the Iron Guard meeting?
5. What is the misleading title of chapter 23?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)