|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made Goebbels think that Abraham Lincoln might be Jewish?
(a) He was a lawyer.
(b) He was sympathetic to non-whites.
(c) He looked Jewish in his photographs.
(d) "Abraham" sounds like a Jewish name.
2. Why do Resi's dog and Mrs. Noth have "fat" bellies?
(a) They are both wearing heavy sweaters with lots of padding to stay warm.
(b) They both suffer from a condition known as "dropsy" as a result of malnutrition.
(c) They are both pregnant.
(d) They had stuffed themselves with all the food in the house before invading armies could steal it.
3. What do the letters "W.H.U.B." stand for?
(a) Women Helping Underprivileged Brethren.
(b) White Heterosexuals United by Beliefs.
(c) Nothing. They are the call letters of a radio station.
(d) Western Hemisphere University of the Bible.
4. Why was Lionel Jones kicked out of dental school?
(a) Because he used a racial slur against the dean.
(b) Because of scholastic failure and weapons found under his mattress.
(c) On suspicion that he deliberately over-anesthetized a Jewish patient, causing her severe brain damage.
(d) Because he plagiarized his dissertation.
5. What does the narrator do with his broom?
(a) Gives it to his neighbor's daughter who wanted to dress as a witch for Halloween.
(b) Hits an attacker over the head with it.
(c) Carves the handle with his wood-carving set.
(d) Offers to sweep the hallways of his building in exchange for rent.
6. When the narrator does not want to discuss politics when they are alone in his apartment, what does he ask Helga to ask him about instead?
7. What is the city in which Campbell, Jr. sits in jail waiting for his trial to begin?
(a) New York.
(c) The Hague.
8. What is George Kraft's real name?
(a) Iona Potapov.
(b) Milton Pillsbury.
(c) Nicholas Sargento.
(d) Sebastian Cabot.
9. How many brothers and sisters does the narrator have?
(a) One brother and two sisters.
(b) No brothers and seven older sisters.
(c) One twin brother who died as an infant.
10. What does Helga say is the reason she did not get in touch with the narrator when she learned of his whereabouts?
(a) She had taken another lover by then and did not want to hurt him.
(b) She did not have enough money to send a telegram or even buy a stamp for a letter.
(c) She had hoped the narrator had built a new life.
(d) Her sister had lied to her and said that he wouldn't be interested in seeing her.
11. Bernard Mengel, who guards the narrator at night, tells the narrator he does what in his sleep?
(a) Says the names of two women and talks about a city.
(c) Snores and grinds his teeth.
12. What does the narrator notice about Lionel Jones' hand?
(a) It is soft and smooth as if Jones had never done any honest labor in his entire life.
(b) It is missing two fingers.
(c) It glitters with rings like the hand of a prince.
(d) He always wears a glove on one, but not the other.
13. What did the narrator's father insist was not for children, but the narrator looked at anyway?
(a) A picture history of the First World War.
(b) His mother's obstetrics book from nursing school.
(c) A stack of pornographic magazines in his father's garage.
(d) A print of Picasso's Guernica.
14. What is NOT one of the ways Helga made a living when she was separated from the narrator?
(a) Working as an interpreter and file clerk in Siberian POW camp.
(b) Working as an actress in Berlin.
(c) Working in a cigarette factory in Dresden.
(d) Working on a labor gang in the Ukraine.
15. The narrator claims he didn't really steal his friend's motorcycle, but . . .
(a) Paid for it by leaving money in his friend's boot while he was sleeping.
(b) Pretended to steal it so his friend could collect the insurance money.
(c) Borrowed it for all eternity.
(d) Accidentally backed over it with his car and dumped the motorcycle in the lake to hide the evidence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator first see the woman he thinks is Helga when they are reunited?
2. What does Arpad Kovacs call people who did nothing to save their own lives or anyone else's lives?
3. Arpad Kovacs says he joined the Nazi S.S. The S.S. is famous for being what?
4. To what does the narrator compare Resi's dog?
5. What sport did the narrator and Heinz Schildknecht play together?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)