|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a revelation that Mr. Noth, Helga's father, reveals to the narrator:
(a) The narrator made him unashamed to be a Nazi.
(b) Helga is not really his daughter.
(c) He had opposed the marriage between Helga and the narrator.
(d) He would have had the narrator shot if he found out he was a spy.
2. How does Mr. Noth die?
(a) Murdered by the assistant chief of police who wanted his job.
(b) In a death camp.
(c) Hanged by slave laborers.
(d) Burned to death when his house is bombed.
3. The Blue Fairy Godmother tells the narrator that to do his job right, he will have to:
(a) Commit high treason.
(b) Kill his best friend.
(c) Earn the trust of the leader of a white supremacist group.
(d) Convince everyone he is Jewish.
4. With what American expression is the narrator not familiar when he first meets Frank Wirtanen?
(a) Takes one to know one.
(b) Zip it.
(c) What's up, doc?
(d) None of your beeswax.
5. What prompted the sudden death of August Krapptauer?
(a) Stepping in front of Jones' limousine.
(b) Carrying luggage up several flights of stairs and apparently suffering a heart attack.
(c) Falling off a balcony.
(d) Swallowing a capsule of cyanide.
6. What does the narrator do with his broom?
(a) Gives it to his neighbor's daughter who wanted to dress as a witch for Halloween.
(b) Hits an attacker over the head with it.
(c) Offers to sweep the hallways of his building in exchange for rent.
(d) Carves the handle with his wood-carving set.
7. From whom did the narrator take the motorcycle?
(a) Heinz Schildknecht.
(b) His father-in-law.
(c) Resi Noth.
(d) George Kraft.
8. What does Heinz Schildknecht love above all else?
(a) His country.
(b) His career.
(c) His wife.
(d) His motorcycle.
9. How did the narrator say he ended up in Germany?
(a) His father was transferred there because of work.
(b) His German wife missed her family and was homesick.
(c) He went there on a college work-study program.
(d) He was working as a war correspondent for the New York Times.
10. Of what did the narrator have twenty-six copies?
(a) The White Christian Minuteman.
(b) Hitler's Mein Kampf.
(c) Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" album.
(d) The Bible.
11. What unique symbol is on Campbell's typewriter given to him in the Jerusalem prison?
(a) A Star of David.
(b) Twin lightning strokes that symbolized the Nazi S.S.
(c) The yin and yang symbol.
(d) A swastika.
12. Why was Lionel Jones kicked out of dental school?
(a) On suspicion that he deliberately over-anesthetized a Jewish patient, causing her severe brain damage.
(b) Because he used a racial slur against the dean.
(c) Because of scholastic failure and weapons found under his mattress.
(d) Because he plagiarized his dissertation.
13. What is the White Christian Minuteman?
(a) The name of an old Boston tavern.
(b) A member of a group of private citizens who patrol the U.S.'s southern border.
(c) An anti-Semitic, anti-Negro, anti-Catholic publication.
(d) The name of a marble statue in front of a historic church.
14. Why did Resi remove her mittens when she was sitting in the music room?
(a) To pet her dog.
(b) Because the mittens made her skin itch.
(c) So she could lend them to a slave woman who was working outside in the cold.
(d) Because the narrator gave her a new pair.
15. Which characteristic does NOT describe Howard W. Campbell, Jr.'s father?
(a) Engineer for General Electric.
(b) Son of a Baptist minister.
(c) Raised in Tennessee.
(d) World War I veteran.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator mean when he claims, "I became what I am today and what I will always be, a stateless person"?
2. From where does Alvin Dobrowitz say the narrator's and the Blue Fairy Godmother's sign and countersign were taken?
3. Arpad Kovacs was personally congratulated by __________, whom he would have killed had he known how important he was.
4. What does Arpad Kovacs call people who did nothing to save their own lives or anyone else's lives?
5. Andor Gutman explains that "Sonderkommando" means "special detail." What horrific "special detail" did Andor Gutman say members of the Sonderkommando had to perform?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)