|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7-9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the narrator and his mother begin to avoid each other?
(a) Because the narrator looked too much like his father, who had left her for a younger woman.
(b) Because of their differing views of the war.
(c) Because of her bizarre behavior.
(d) Because his mother did not like Helga.
2. What is the narrator's "little Eden"?
(a) His inlaws' estate near Berlin.
(b) A private park where children play.
(c) His life with Helga.
(d) The view of Jerusalem from his prison window.
3. With what American expression is the narrator not familiar when he first meets Frank Wirtanen?
(a) Zip it.
(b) Takes one to know one.
(c) What's up, doc?
(d) None of your beeswax.
4. In what year does Howard Campbell write his story?
5. Andor Gutman tells the narrator that music played through the loud speakers all day long at the prison camp, but was occasionally interrupted by the phrase, "Leichentrager zu Wache." What does "Leichentrager zu Wache" mean?
(a) Corpse-carriers to the guardhouse.
(b) Prisoners return to work.
(c) A train filled with prisoners is arriving.
(d) Take cover because the camp was going to be bombed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bernard Mengel tells the narrator that he (the narrator) is the only man he has heard of who . . .
2. Arpad Kovacs was personally congratulated by __________, whom he would have killed had he known how important he was.
3. What did the narrator's father insist was not for children, but the narrator looked at anyway?
4. How many brothers and sisters does the narrator have?
5. From where does Alvin Dobrowitz say the narrator's and the Blue Fairy Godmother's sign and countersign were taken?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)