|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233" opens, to which of the following cities does Hadrian return?
2. When Antinous joins the Mithraic cult after a merchant suggests that he do so, in which city does the initiation rite take place?
3. Hadrian talks about his reproach of Trajan for waiting twenty years to name a successor. How many years has Hadrian evaded the same issue?
4. Which religious group appeals to Hadrian for a defense of their faith shortly after he begins work on the cult of Antinous?
5. While discussing the events that lead up to Antinous' death, Hadrian says that a five-year drought ends upon his arrival in ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. As "Saeculum Aureum, 189-211" opens, what peculiar habit does Hadrian mention of Lucius?
2. Explain the result of Hadrian's ritual sacrifice on Mount Cassius outside Antioch.
3. Why do the Jewish people consider the opening of schools where Greek literature is taught such a major problem?
4. What is Sabina's final attitude toward Hadrian at the time of her death?
5. As Hadrian recounts the series of misunderstandings that lead to Jewish revolt in Jerusalem, what attitude does he take toward the Jews?
6. Why, when Hadrian sets about finding a successor, does he say that the Roman tradition of adoption works best?
7. Why, when choosing a successor, does Hadrian settle on Lucius?
8. According to Hadrian, what must Antinous have thought after the lightning episode on Mount Cassius?
9. In "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251," what causes the initial problems between the Roman troops and the Jewish residents of Jerusalem?
10. Upon returning to Antioch after Antinous' death, what does Hadrian think of the people there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss three reasons for Hadrian's choice of Lucius as his successor. Be sure to include supporting information from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Hadrian is dedicated to refurbishing Italy. Why is this so important to him? Discuss Hadrian's view of his legacy as it relates to this sort of action during his reign. Be sure to fully support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss three of the enemies Hadrian faces in the contest to become Trajan's successor. Be sure to elaborate on the specific challenges he faces from each individual. Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)