|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233" opens, to which of the following cities does Hadrian return?
2. Hadrian and Antinous visit a temple under construction in Greece. Antinous feeds a ____________ that is brought there to consecrate the sanctuary upon its completion.
3. After Hadrian forbids the Jews from reestablishing themselves in Jerusalem, they settle in all BUT WHICH of the following cities?
4. As he talks about how Antinous came to be part of his life, Hadrian compares him to which animal?
5. As "Disciplina Augusta, 251-271" begins, which of the following individuals does Hadrian credit with the suppression of the Jewish revolt?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Hadrian recounts the series of misunderstandings that lead to Jewish revolt in Jerusalem, what attitude does he take toward the Jews?
2. When rumors begin to fly about the influence Lucius and Antinous must have over Hadrian, what reasons does he give that indicate these accusations are ridiculous?
3. What qualities strike Hadrian as special when he first meets Arrian of Nicomedia?
4. What happens to Hadrian's secretary in "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233"?
5. Upon returning to Antioch after Antinous' death, what does Hadrian think of the people there?
6. What incident in "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251" leads Hermogenes to diagnose the emperor with heart disease?
7. In "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251," what causes the initial problems between the Roman troops and the Jewish residents of Jerusalem?
8. Why, in "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233," does Hadrian decide to commission a new history of Rome?
9. What is Sabina's final attitude toward Hadrian at the time of her death?
10. According to "Saeculum Aureum, 189-211," why must it have been particularly difficult for Antinous to commit suicide in the manner he chose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the various stages in the relationship between Hadrian and Antinous. What is Antinous' purpose in Hadrian's life beyond that of a beautiful plaything? Be sure to include supporting information and quotes from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hadrian's philosophies on life and war before and after his participation in the Sarmatian campaign. Include supporting information from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss three reasons for Hadrian's choice of Lucius as his successor. Be sure to include supporting information from the book.
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)