|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon returning to Rome in "Disciplina Augusta, 251-271," Hadrian once again takes up his friendship with which of the following individuals?
2. Upon returning to Greece in "Saeculum Aureum, 153-171," Hadrian sets out to rebuild which city?
3. Hadrian returns to Rome after he leaves Greece in "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233" and writes which document to codify the administration of Italy?
4. Which of the following individuals does Hadrian order executed due to an assassination plot uncovered after Lucius' adoption?
5. At which city does Hadrian meet with a nameless priestess when he begins plans to establish the cult of Antinous?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Hadrian recounts the series of misunderstandings that lead to Jewish revolt in Jerusalem, what attitude does he take toward the Jews?
2. Why does Antinous refuse to have his palm read a few days after the sacrifice on Mount Cassius?
3. Why, when Hadrian sets about finding a successor, does he say that the Roman tradition of adoption works best?
4. As "Saeculum Aureum, 189-211" opens, what peculiar habit does Hadrian mention of Lucius?
5. Why do the Jewish people consider the opening of schools where Greek literature is taught such a major problem?
6. What observations does Hadrian make upon first meeting Antinous?
7. Why, when choosing a successor, does Hadrian settle on Lucius?
8. What incident in "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251" leads Hermogenes to diagnose the emperor with heart disease?
9. Why, according to "Saeculum Aureum, 153-171," does Hadrian not divorce Sabina and be done with her?
10. When rumors begin to fly about the influence Lucius and Antinous must have over Hadrian, what reasons does he give that indicate these accusations are ridiculous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss three ways in which Antinous' death affects Hadrian. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss three reasons for Hadrian's choice of Lucius as his successor. Be sure to include supporting information from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Hadrian begins to feel himself divine. One of the results of his newly found divinity is that he begins to take Antinous for granted. Discuss three ways in which Hadrian's new attitude negatively impacts his relationship with Antinous. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)