|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon growing bored in Alexandria, Hadrian and his company visit a magician in Canopus. What animal does Antinous insist upon sacrificing to destiny?
2. According to "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233," the word "philanthropy" is of which origin?
3. After the uncovered assassination plot, which of the following individuals increases the security around Hadrian in fear of a new revenge plot?
4. While discussing the events that lead up to Antinous' death, Hadrian says that a five-year drought ends upon his arrival in ____________.
5. When discussing his relationship with his body in "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251," Hadrian says that he suddenly feels which of the following emotions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hadrian consider the time period after he first meets Antinous a Golden Age in his life?
2. Upon returning to Antioch after Antinous' death, what does Hadrian think of the people there?
3. What happens to Hadrian's secretary in "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233"?
4. What incident in "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251" leads Hermogenes to diagnose the emperor with heart disease?
5. Why, when Hadrian sets about finding a successor, does he say that the Roman tradition of adoption works best?
6. Describe the three prospects Hadrian dismisses before finally settling on Lucius as his successor and why those three are dismissed.
7. According to Hadrian, what must Antinous have thought after the lightning episode on Mount Cassius?
8. Explain the result of Hadrian's ritual sacrifice on Mount Cassius outside Antioch.
9. As Hadrian recounts the series of misunderstandings that lead to Jewish revolt in Jerusalem, what attitude does he take toward the Jews?
10. How does Hadrian respond to the Christian admonition which consists of "loving another as oneself" after he is approached by Quadratus to defend Christians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss three of the enemies Hadrian faces in the contest to become Trajan's successor. Be sure to elaborate on the specific challenges he faces from each individual. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In a well-developed essay, discuss three ways in which Hadrian's thoughts about the nature of love affect his personality and ruling style. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the evolving relationship between Hadrian and Sabina. How does their relationship begin, how does it change, and how does it end at the time of her death? Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)