|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the Jewish rebellion in "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251," how many years does it take to recapture Jerusalem?
2. During the ceremony to inter Antinous' body, a sprig of what plant is placed upon his chest?
3. Hadrian and Antinous visit a temple under construction in Greece. Antinous feeds a ____________ that is brought there to consecrate the sanctuary upon its completion.
4. Upon returning to Alexandra after the visit to the magician in Canopus, Antinous convinces which individual to return to the magician with him?
5. During the visit to the magician in Canopus, the animal sacrifice is drowned. To which god is drowning intended to send the sacrificed animal in this ritual?
Short Essay Questions
1. What qualities strike Hadrian as special when he first meets Arrian of Nicomedia?
2. In "Saeculum Aureum, 171-189," why does Hadrian begin to push Antinous away?
3. Describe the three prospects Hadrian dismisses before finally settling on Lucius as his successor and why those three are dismissed.
4. After Antinous' death, what conclusions does Hadrian draw as to why the young man committed suicide?
5. Explain the result of Hadrian's ritual sacrifice on Mount Cassius outside Antioch.
6. What happens to Hadrian's secretary in "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233"?
7. How does Hadrian respond to the Christian admonition which consists of "loving another as oneself" after he is approached by Quadratus to defend Christians?
8. What is Sabina's final attitude toward Hadrian at the time of her death?
9. According to "Saeculum Aureum, 189-211," why must it have been particularly difficult for Antinous to commit suicide in the manner he chose?
10. Why does Hadrian consider the time period after he first meets Antinous a Golden Age in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hadrian begins to feel himself divine. One of the results of his newly found divinity is that he begins to take Antinous for granted. Discuss three ways in which Hadrian's new attitude negatively impacts his relationship with Antinous. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hadrian's philosophies on life and war before and after his participation in the Sarmatian campaign. Include supporting information from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss three ways in which "Patientia," the final passage of the book, summarizes Hadrian's views on life. Include supporting information from the text. Be sure to fully support your response.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)