|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Hadrian forbids the Jews from reestablishing themselves in Jerusalem, they settle in all BUT WHICH of the following cities?
2. In "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251," Hadrian states that Quietus attacked all BUT WHICH of the following cities?
3. During the ceremony to inter Antinous' body, a sprig of what plant is placed upon his chest?
4. Hadrian finally decides to adopt Lucius, thus making him successor. Which of the following names does Lucius take after the adoption?
5. Upon his return to Rome Hadrian begins work on the Odeon, which is a __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Saeculum Aureum, 171-189," why does Hadrian begin to push Antinous away?
2. Why, when Hadrian sets about finding a successor, does he say that the Roman tradition of adoption works best?
3. As Hadrian recounts the series of misunderstandings that lead to Jewish revolt in Jerusalem, what attitude does he take toward the Jews?
4. Explain the result of Hadrian's ritual sacrifice on Mount Cassius outside Antioch.
5. After Antinous' death, what conclusions does Hadrian draw as to why the young man committed suicide?
6. Why does Hadrian consider the time period after he first meets Antinous a Golden Age in his life?
7. Why, in "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233," does Hadrian decide to commission a new history of Rome?
8. Why do the Jewish people consider the opening of schools where Greek literature is taught such a major problem?
9. What incident in "Disciplina Augusta, 233-251" leads Hermogenes to diagnose the emperor with heart disease?
10. What is Sabina's final attitude toward Hadrian at the time of her death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss three ways in which "Patientia," the final passage of the book, summarizes Hadrian's views on life. Include supporting information from the text. Be sure to fully support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hadrian's views on death before and after he contemplates suicide. What has he determined about the effect of his death? Be sure to include supporting information and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Hadrian says that Rome is the embodiment of Greek ideals. Compare and contrast his view of Rome with that of Greece. Include all relevant supporting information from the book.
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)