|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following individuals dies shortly after Hadrian names Lucius his successor?
2. After discussing the Jewish rebellion in Jerusalem, Hadrian takes a young tribune named _________ as his new aide?
3. Hadrian finally decides to adopt Lucius, thus making him successor. Which of the following names does Lucius take after the adoption?
4. Upon returning to Alexandria after their hunting trip, which of the following poets arranges a special entertainment for Hadrian and Antinous?
5. As "Saeculum Aureum, 153-171" opens, Hadrian has passed the summer in which area?
Short Essay Questions
1. When rumors begin to fly about the influence Lucius and Antinous must have over Hadrian, what reasons does he give that indicate these accusations are ridiculous?
2. Why, when choosing a successor, does Hadrian settle on Lucius?
3. Why do the Jewish people consider the opening of schools where Greek literature is taught such a major problem?
4. According to "Saeculum Aureum, 189-211," why must it have been particularly difficult for Antinous to commit suicide in the manner he chose?
5. Why, in "Disciplina Augusta, 211-233," does Hadrian decide to commission a new history of Rome?
6. Upon returning to Antioch after Antinous' death, what does Hadrian think of the people there?
7. Describe the three prospects Hadrian dismisses before finally settling on Lucius as his successor and why those three are dismissed.
8. Explain the result of Hadrian's ritual sacrifice on Mount Cassius outside Antioch.
9. Why does Hadrian consider the time period after he first meets Antinous a Golden Age in his life?
10. How does Hadrian respond to the Christian admonition which consists of "loving another as oneself" after he is approached by Quadratus to defend Christians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the various stages in the relationship between Hadrian and Antinous. What is Antinous' purpose in Hadrian's life beyond that of a beautiful plaything? Be sure to include supporting information and quotes from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hadrian's views on death before and after he contemplates suicide. What has he determined about the effect of his death? Be sure to include supporting information and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Hadrian's education with that of other Roman citizens during this period in history. Be sure to include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)