|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After discussing the murder of the leader in the Mauretanian revolt, Hadrian says that it reminds him of the proscriptions of which individual that stained the reputation of Augustus?
2. As "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49" opens, readers learn that which of Hadrian's relatives is a man named Marullinus?
3. As "Tellus Stabilita, 122-149" opens, Hadrian mentions that he once tried tainted meat because it was a delicacy among which people?
4. Readers learn in Hadrian's discussion of his self-observation that he is almost how old?
5. For what action is Hadrian reproached shortly after his marriage has taken place?
6. In "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49," Hadrian states that he has sought which of the following more than power?
7. After his discussion of food and diet, which of the following emotions does Hadrian say can "unsettle the soul"?
8. While talking about books, Hadrian accuses which author of making life lighter than it is?
9. As tensions explode in the Orient, Trajan's officer Quietus is dispatched to deal with all BUT WHICH of the following cities?
10. At the close of "Animula Vagula Blandula," Hadrian says that when philosophers have nothing more to tell us it is excusable to turn to which of the following?
11. According to "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 29-49," which of the following individuals is Hadrian's cousin?
12. When discussing the craftsmen he takes with him on his travels, Hadrian says that he offered which of the following individuals a Latin secretaryship?
13. Hadrian considers his life and decides that the life of which of the following is simple?
14. In his discussion of Marullinus, Hadrian notes that he bore senatorial rank. How many of Hadrian's lineage achieved this rank?
15. After Hadrian's comments about Trajan's view of war, which of the following friends dies?
(a) Licinius Sura.
(b) Marcius Turbo.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Hadrian returns to the Roman army and several problems erupt in the Orient at once, Hadrian manages to maintain order in which area?
2. When Trajan's will is finally written, and Hadrian learns that he will be Trajan's successor, which of the following individuals is the first to salute him as emperor?
3. When talking about the cities he establishes, Hadrian mentions the city of Hadrianotherae. In which region is this city located?
4. When the first reports of the Parthian campaign come in, which of the following major cities has fallen to Rome?
5. How old is Hadrian when Marullinus casts the horoscope that says Hadrian will one day rule the world?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)