|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his discussion of food and diet, which of the following emotions does Hadrian say can "unsettle the soul"?
2. When Hadrian is transferred to Macedonica, under which of the following legions does he serve?
3. After Hadrian returns to the Roman army and several problems erupt in the Orient at once, Hadrian manages to maintain order in which area?
4. Toward the end of "Tellus Stabilita, 95-122," Hadrian states that in twenty years of his rule he has passed how many without a fixed living location?
5. In his discussion of life Hadrian comments that his nature seems to be made up of equal parts of instinct and _________.
6. As he writes about his death, Hadrian says that he may die in all BUT WHICH of the following places?
7. How old is Hadrian when Marullinus casts the horoscope that says Hadrian will one day rule the world?
8. During Hadrian's first speech in the tribunal, he is laughed at for which of the following?
9. In his discussion of Marullinus, Hadrian notes that he bore senatorial rank. How many of Hadrian's lineage achieved this rank?
10. While discussing his military service, Hadrian mentions that he rose to the rank of tribune in which of the following legions?
11. When Hadrian is attacked by a slave he sends the man to work in the mines; he says that which of the following cities would have survived had it shown some generosity?
12. After discussing various sculptors, Hadrian includes a quote: "Trahit sua quemque voluptas." What is the translation he provides for this quote?
(a) Beauty is in every figure.
(b) Each to his own bent.
(c) The body leaves its mark.
(d) Life is but fleeting.
13. As Hadrian discusses his life he says that all BUT WHICH of the following seem nebulous and fleeting as a phantom?
14. In "Tellus Stabilita, 95-122," Hadrian regrets that he must fire a friend. He says that he sometimes counts which individual among his human victims?
(b) Marcius Turbo.
(c) Lucius Quietus.
15. When Hadrian faces revolt from Mauretania, which of the following individuals oversteps his orders and kills Hadrian's rival?
(b) Lucius Quietus.
(c) Marcius Turbo.
Short Answer Questions
1. As "Varius Multiplex Multiformis, 69-92" opens, Hadrian says that all BUT WHICH of the following friends understand and agree with his change of attitude toward war?
2. When talking about his frustration with the movement of the equinoxes, Hadrian says that this precession was calculated long ago by which individual?
3. In discussing his early challenges as emperor, Hadrian says that he is forced to take military action in Mauretania because a revolt is forming under which of the following individuals?
4. When Hadrian is sixteen and finishes a course of military training, his guardian is persuaded to send him where for further academic study?
5. For what action is Hadrian reproached shortly after his marriage has taken place?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)