|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was inked into the wood on the cigar box where the label is peeled away?
(a) Inspected by ____
(b) Best of the best
(c) Made in Cuba
(d) Imported direct to Florida
2. What does Ambrose wish for at the end of the story?
(a) That Magda was with him
(b) That he was already an adult
(c) That he had never entered the funhouse and that he was dead
(d) That the funhouse had never been built
3. What is Uncle Karl told is the reason there will be no fireworks that night?
(a) There is a shortage of materials
(b) Because of enemy submarines
(c) There is going to be a strong thunderstorm that evening
(d) The town does not have the money
4. What does the old timer at the door tell Ambrose about the tumble-barrel room?
(a) To stay on the left of Magda so she’ll fall and he can see up her skirt
(b) To look straight ahead to keep his footing
(c) To go crabwise to get an eyeful
(d) To hold onto Magda so she won’t fall
5. How does Magda peel a banana?
(a) With her toes
(b) Using one hand and her teeth
(c) With both hands
(d) She cuts the peel with a fingernail
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Ambrose tell his son when his son becomes thirteen years old?
2. What does the narrator say is the manuscript mark for italic type?
3. Why might an author in fiction delete a name and use a blank for it?
4. How does Ambrose see under the boardwalk?
5. Why didn’t Ambrose swim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say is the reason a writer should stick with using the Freitag’s Triangle?
2. What does Ambrose do because he is so nervous about going in the Funhouse with Magda and what does the ticket woman say to Magda?
3. Why does Ambrose think people don’t know what to make of him?
4. How does Ambrose feel about the Funhouse on the way home, and what does Uncle Karl do about the whole affair?
5. What are Peter and Magda doing while Ambrose is in the Funhouse?
6. What does the Gypsy Fortune Teller machine look like?
7. What does Magda ask Ambrose about concerning his foot, and what is his reply?
8. How does Ambrose feel after what he sees at the boardwalk, and what does he want to do? What comment does Magda make about Ambrose’s condition?
9. Why does the family stay out of the ocean, and what do they do instead of swimming in the ocean?
10. What advertises the funhouse that the family stares at, and what does Peter suggests when they are looking at it? What does Ambrose suggest?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)