|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Uncle Karl told is the reason there will be no fireworks that night?
(a) The town does not have the money
(b) There is a shortage of materials
(c) There is going to be a strong thunderstorm that evening
(d) Because of enemy submarines
2. What does the narrator say are the two reasons for not writing a story about being lost in a funhouse?
(a) Anyone intelligent enough to buy a ticket would not be stupid enough to get lost
(b) No one actually goes into funhouses anymore
(c) It would be a boring story with little action or plot
(d) Everyone has felt what Ambrose feels or no normal person feels such things
3. Why might an author in fiction delete a name and use a blank for it?
(a) The author cannot decide on a good name for a character
(b) The editors prefer to decide on characters’ names
(c) The author does not want to get sued
(d) It makes the fiction look real
4. What does the narrator say triangulation is?
(a) Trying to use at least three different descriptions for a character
(b) Determining a position using two or more compass bearings
(c) It is a form of homicide
(d) It is when two boys like the same girl
5. What does the narrator suggest may be the name of the bay instead of Assawoman Bay?
(a) Chesapeake Bay
(b) Oleander Bay
(c) East Bay
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the floor in the hall after the tumble-barrel room?
2. What does Ambrose’s father say about the way his family takes vacations?
3. What does Ambrose imagine people think when years after he is still lost in the funhouse they find his skeleton?
4. What does the narrator say might happen if Ambrose comes across another lost person in the funhouse?
5. What does Ambrose wonder about himself when he thinks of scouting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Karl say will change the holiday for the family this year and why has this occured?
2. What happens as the teenagers are entering the Funhouse?
3. What do Peter and Uncle Karl try at the pool, and how does Ambrose’s mother react to their behavior? How is Ambrose involved in the situation?
4. What does the Gypsy Fortune Teller machine look like?
5. When thoroughly lost, what does Ambrose imagine happens to him in the Funhouse?
6. What did the hurricane of 1933 do to the Boardwalk?
7. What has Ambrose realized about winning the traditional game, and at what age does he understand this tactic?
8. Where does Ambrose go after dinner? What is he looking for and what does he see?
9. What does Ambrose imagine his father saying to him about getting through the Funhouse?
10. What does Magda ask Ambrose about concerning his foot, and what is his reply?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)