|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Granny conceal her memories from Ridcully?
2. To what language is the inscription at the Long Man related?
3. What has the general shape and disposition of a barrel of gunpowder?
4. What brings tears to Magrat's eyes?
5. Why won't the elves attack the Morris Men during the Stick and Bucket dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disrupts her moment of sentimentality?
2. What does Magrat unexpectedly do?
3. Where do the Morris Men go in search of peace and privacy?
4. What does Diamanda do when she awakens?
5. What does Nanny use as a bargaining tool?
6. What has Diamanda done?
7. What does Magrat discover when she checks on Diamanda?
8. What brings tears to Magrat's eyes in Verence's room?
9. Does Shawn succeed in finding help?
10. Why do Nanny, Granny and Magrat all fail to see the Morris Men perform?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story is written in the third person in mainly a chronological order with occasional flashbacks or character anecdotes to flesh out the past. Why do you think Pratchett chose to write the story this way? How do you think the story would have changed if it had only been written from a first person perspective?
Essay Topic 2
How does Pratchett depict witches in the book? How does today's society perceive witchery? Do you think that Pratchett's depiction of witches is in any way based on real history? To what extent has he changed the well known stereotype of a witch character?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is science a constant theme throughout the book? In what way does science affect the worlds and characters in the book? How does science express the author's views?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)