|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title does Casanunda have from serving Queen Agantia?
2. To what language is the inscription at the Long Man related?
3. Why won't the elves attack the Morris Men during the Stick and Bucket dance?
4. Why does Ridcully want to kill the elf king?
5. How do you really upset a witch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Granny and Casanunda end up?
2. Why does King Verence II want Shawn to learn martial arts?
3. What does the Librarian notice during the performance?
4. Why does Magrat finally leave her room?
5. How does Magrat react?
6. Why does Magrat head to the Dancers instead of the mountains?
7. What has Diamanda done?
8. What brings tears to Magrat's eyes in Verence's room?
9. What does Magrat unexpectedly do?
10. Why do Nanny, Granny and Magrat all fail to see the Morris Men perform?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story is written in the third person in mainly a chronological order with occasional flashbacks or character anecdotes to flesh out the past. Why do you think Pratchett chose to write the story this way? How do you think the story would have changed if it had only been written from a first person perspective?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use different characters to drive the narrative? Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the narrative's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Pratchett's depiction of the character Magrat. How does Pratchett characterize Magrat? What goals does Magrat have to achieve? How successful is Magrat at achieving these goals?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)