|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the elf Queen aim to gain control of Lancre?
2. Which path is Shawn learning?
3. How does an elf attain strength?
4. Why is the land fighting back against the elves?
5. What is the best outcome if you are defeated by an elf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the Morris Men go in search of peace and privacy?
2. Why is Magrat again locked into her room?
3. Does Shawn succeed in finding help?
4. Why does Magrat head to the Dancers instead of the mountains?
5. What does the Librarian notice during the performance?
6. Why does King Verence II want Shawn to learn martial arts?
7. Why does Granny start leaving notes for herself?
8. What does Magrat unexpectedly do?
9. Why does Magrat not make it to the Dancers?
10. Who is Queen Ynci the Short Tempered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the talents of Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg differ? How is this difference used to develop the book's themes and the evolution of each character?
Essay Topic 2
How does Pratchett depict multiple fantasy in the book? How does it differ from other styles of fantasy? Do you think that Pratchett's version of magic is effective? In what way has he changed the idea of true magic to suit the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does Pratchett depict witches in the book? How does today's society perceive witchery? Do you think that Pratchett's depiction of witches is in any way based on real history? To what extent has he changed the well known stereotype of a witch character?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)