|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Librarian hate elves so much?
2. Why is it hard to pick up another human's thoughts?
3. Why does Verence not like to ask witches questions?
4. Why has Nanny Ogg never eaten at the Goat and Bush?
5. What can King Verence no longer afford?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Granny start leaving notes for herself?
2. Who warns them against it?
3. Why do Nanny and Casanunda go to the ancient burial ground known as the Long Man?
4. What does the Librarian notice during the performance?
5. How does Magrat react?
6. How do the Morris Men escape the elves?
7. What does Magrat unexpectedly do?
8. Why is Magrat again locked into her room?
9. Why do Nanny, Granny and Magrat all fail to see the Morris Men perform?
10. What disrupts her moment of sentimentality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Pratchett depict witches in the book? How does today's society perceive witchery? Do you think that Pratchett's depiction of witches is in any way based on real history? To what extent has he changed the well known stereotype of a witch character?
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character and examine their lives at the start of the book. Compare this to how they have changed by the end of the story. What motivates these changes?
Essay Topic 3
How do the talents of Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg differ? How is this difference used to develop the book's themes and the evolution of each character?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)