Foreword by a Man of Letters | Chapter 1, A Terrible Mistake
• The fictional author/editor of the novel tells how he came to meet Jack and learn his story.
• Jack goes cross country, heading toward California, with his preacher father.
• The wagon train runs out of coffee to trade with Indians and decides to buy whiskey instead.
• The white men become drunk, slapping the Indians on the back, causing the Indians to slaughter the men and rape the women.
• Caroline, Jack's sister, tries to escape the Indians on a horse.
Chapter 2, Boiled Dog | Chapter 3, I Make an Enemy
• Caroline and Jack attempt to cross the Platte River, but are stopped by the Indian Old Lodge Skins.
• Caroline and Jack follow Old Lodge Skins back to his band where they follow them to their camp. Old Lodge Skins allows this because he fears they want retribution.
• An antelope is killed...
This section contains 2,114 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)