|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Nancy Armstrong, feelings and personal qualities in characters became more important than _____________.
2. Who was against the ideas that performative language could be humorous?
3. According to Nancy Armstrong, what is a product of 18th century novels?
4. Culler suggests that performative language aids is the understanding of ______________.
5. Who is not a character in third-person narration?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Culler, what prompts a reader to finish reading a novel?
2. How does a rhetorical figure use language in poetry?
3. According to Chapter 7, what is accomplished by attempting to identify literary performatives?
4. Why do some theorists believe that popular characterizations in novels create bad influences?
5. According to Chapter 7, who developed the idea of performative language?
6. According to Chapter 6, "Narrative," why is narrative appealing to readers?
7. According to Chapter 5, genre is very important to a reader. Why?
8. What is the occasional confusion that results from the use of metaphor?
9. According to Chapter 8, in terms of the "I," what do literary theorists debate?
10. What is the function of a narrator within a novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much English literature sought to control the masses and instill a sense of national pride. Create an argument for or against the following topic, citing specific examples from the text: Although literature sought to control the masses, this technique often backfired. Literature allowed the lower class to understand the difference in the class system. This instilled a desire for the lower class to obtain the same lifestyle as the upper class.
Essay Topic 2
For an author, the opportunity to be published is a hurdle to overcome when it comes to having a work declared literary. Why is publication so important to the literary process? Create an argument citing specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Within literature, there are several models of identity. Identify and analyze at least three models of identity, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)