|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to some psychological studies, identity is formed based on the first memory of _____________.
(b) A parent.
(c) A scolding.
(d) Human touch.
2. What is the literary device that substitutes a part for the whole or vice versa?
3. According to Chapter 8, what is the debate surrounding the "I" on a personal level?
(a) Free will vs. parental influence.
(b) Free will vs. written influence.
(c) All of these.
(d) Free will vs. predetermined choices.
4. Theorists occasionally worry about the impact of literature because narratives can be a trusted source of knowledge or _________.
(a) All of these.
5. Who believed that performative language could be humorous?
Short Answer Questions
1. Culler reports that the use of a genre can do what for a reader?
2. Who was Nancy Armstrong?
3. According to Culler, what power is given to literature by literary performatives?
4. What is a typical theme in literature?
5. According to Chapter 8, what is the product of a subject's inner core?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a rhetorical figure use language in poetry?
2. According to Chapter 6, "Narrative," why is narrative appealing to readers?
3. Who believed that performative language could be somewhat humorous?
4. According to Culler, how is rhetoric defined today?
5. During the Renaissance, what was the definition of rhetoric?
6. According to theorists, what gives the reader the most pleasure when reading a novel?
7. In terms of the "I," what is the product of someone's core?
8. Why do some theorists believe that popular characterizations in novels create bad influences?
9. What is first-person narration?
10. According to Chapter 8, in terms of the "I," what do literary theorists debate?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)