|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many theorists believe that understanding the meaning of words in a text is ___________.
(b) All of these.
2. Interpretation is important in language because it can affect ______________.
(a) Who will buy the text.
(b) Who wrote the text.
(c) Its prestige.
(d) The meaning of a text.
3. According to Culler, what do the authors of classical literature often hide within their words?
(a) Political views.
(b) Numeric codes.
(c) A deeper meaning.
(d) Hints of rebellion.
4. Cultural studies aim to demonstrate how people are affected by ___________.
(a) The lack of education.
(b) Cultural forces.
(c) Artistic merit.
(d) The lack of money.
5. Words are formed due to the conventions of __________.
(a) Literary forms.
(b) A culture.
(d) A pamphlet.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, it is suggested that British literature worked to do what among the classes?
2. On a grand scale, scholars believe literature to have the capability to speak for __________.
3. According to Chapter 3, what creates tension within cultural studies?
4. In order to understand language as a system, what must a linguist examine regarding its meaning and form?
5. Culler reports that people in the 19th century believed that the "true nature" of an individual could be found in his ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is publishing considered a stamp of approval on a literary work?
2. Why did Foucault consider "The History of Sexuality" to be repressed?
3. When was literature used in Britain to control the masses?
4. How do literary theorists explain the procedure used by poetics?
5. According to theorists, what power does literature hold over society and why?
6. According to Noam Chomsky, linguists help raise the quality of language for what purpose?
7. In Chapter 2, why are the use of words and language so meaningful to literature?
8. Modern Western literature can be traced back to what group and when?
9. Why is theory a difficult subject from which to obtain an absolute, according to Culler?
10. According to Culler, what do most literary works resemble?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)