|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 3, which author continues to stand the test of time?
(c) Dan Brown.
(d) Ben Jonson.
2. Culler suggests that cultural studies attempt to fight against __________.
(b) Positive trends.
(c) Negative trends.
3. On a grand scale, scholars believe literature to have the capability to speak for __________.
(c) All of these.
4. In "The History of Sexuality," what was used as a blanket term to describe all aspects related to sexuality?
5. Interpellation studies the effect of ______________ in shaping an individual's actions.
(b) Being abused.
(c) Being pigeonholed.
6. What was the primary theme of "The Sorrows of Young Werther"?
(a) Unrequited love.
(b) Money and power.
(c) Family feuds.
(d) Lust and jealousy.
7. What has literary theory tried to do for the classics?
(a) Make them into movies.
(b) Insult them.
(c) Censor them.
(d) Save them.
8. What is the significance of published literature, according to Culler?
(a) It can catapult an author to fame.
(b) A book is paid for.
(c) A book is available for the masses.
(d) A book is declared worthy to read.
9. In the West, most theorists believe language allows for _____________.
(b) Thought expression.
10. Many theorists believe that understanding the meaning of words in a text is ___________.
(b) All of these.
11. Words are formed due to the conventions of __________.
(a) Literary forms.
(b) A culture.
(d) A pamphlet.
12. Who believed language is made up of a system of differences?
(a) Jackson Shephardberg.
(b) Ferdinand de Saussure.
13. What is no longer demanded of cultural scholars?
(a) "Tight reading."
(b) "Back reading."
(c) "Slow reading."
(d) "Close reading."
14. Who believed that linguists have the ability to help others speak, read, and understand never seen before words and sentence structures?
(a) Guy Roach.
(b) Beuford Wether.
(c) Noam Chomsky.
(d) Samson McHenry.
15. What was Richard Rorty's area of expertise?
Short Answer Questions
1. Culler reports that theory has the ability to undo which of the following?
2. According to Chapter 2, literature must contain ____________ in order to qualify as literature.
3. What nationality was Rousseau?
4. What, according to Culler, is unique about cultural studies?
5. What literary approach starts with a preconceived notion before offering supporting evidence to payoff that idea?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)