|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ferdinand de Saussure, the elements of language become unique based on their _________.
(a) Similarity to other elements.
(b) Popularity among speakers.
(c) Contrast against other elements.
2. Who created the theory of interpellation?
(a) Louis Althusser.
(b) Shane Montgomery.
(c) Jacob Traventhorn.
(d) Jacques Bouvois.
3. What is no longer demanded of cultural scholars?
(a) "Slow reading."
(b) "Tight reading."
(c) "Close reading."
(d) "Back reading."
4. What literary form do parts of Robert Burns' poetry imitate?
(c) Folk songs.
5. Culler explains the nature of discourse on theory as _________.
(b) All of these.
6. Who was Michel Foucault?
(a) A Russian doctor who loved literature.
(b) A Spanish immigrant professor.
(c) A Swiss banker who knew poetry.
(d) A French intellectual historian.
7. What type of literary work is "Jane Eyre"?
8. Who believed that linguists have the ability to help others speak, read, and understand never seen before words and sentence structures?
(a) Guy Roach.
(b) Beuford Wether.
(c) Noam Chomsky.
(d) Samson McHenry.
9. According to Chapter 4, what is Hamlet about on a surface level?
(a) A Danish Prince.
(b) A young man's inheritance.
(c) The death of a father.
(d) The betrayal of family.
10. According to studies, the majority of film and literature has been created from whose point of view?
(b) The poor.
(c) The rich.
11. According to theorists, what will a reader not measure equally when it comes to Shakespeare versus a dime-store novel?
(b) Popular appeal.
(d) Entertainment value.
12. Focault warned the masses to be wary of _________.
(a) Reading as a hobby.
(b) Starving artists.
(c) Words as gospel.
(d) Poets as prophets.
13. Interpretation is important in language because it can affect ______________.
(a) Its prestige.
(b) Who wrote the text.
(c) Who will buy the text.
(d) The meaning of a text.
14. What idea did Rousseau help to develop?
(b) The benefits of marriage.
(c) Financial awareness.
15. What nationality was Rousseau?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the West, most theorists believe language allows for _____________.
2. In Chapter 3, "Literature and Cultural Studies," what does the production of literature drive in society?
3. To what types of topics did Foucault attempt to give historical relevance?
4. Culler reports that some scholars are worried that isolation for readers may become __________.
5. Culler reports that people in the 19th century believed that the "true nature" of an individual could be found in his ___________.
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)