|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Readers often respond emotionally to a particular use of language due to _____________.
(a) Difficulty of text.
(b) Personal experience.
(c) Context of the words.
(d) Level of education.
2. Culler suggests that cultural studies attempt to fight against __________.
(b) Negative trends.
(d) Positive trends.
3. What is the absolute, end result of theory, as expressed in Chapter 1, "What is Theory?"
(a) There isn't one.
(b) A change in history.
(c) An final understanding of literature.
(d) A solid, proven revision.
4. According to Chapter 2, which of the examples below cannot be considered literature?
(a) All of these.
(b) The phone book.
(c) Instructional manuals.
(d) Private journals.
5. In Chapter 2, it is suggested that British literature worked to do what among the classes?
(a) Invoke shame.
(b) Instill a stronger sense of class.
(c) Create harmony.
(d) Create a divide.
6. According to Culler, what do literary theorists work to expose in literature?
(b) Underlying themes.
(c) Bad writing.
(d) Exceptional sentence structure.
7. In the West, most theorists believe language allows for _____________.
(c) Thought expression.
8. According to Foucault's beliefs, what does society determine?
(a) All of these.
(b) Which ideas should be analyzed.
(c) Which ideas are interesting.
(d) Which ideas should invoke awe.
9. Literature, according to Culler, has the ability to do what for ideology?
(a) Praise it.
(b) Elevate it.
(c) Destory it.
(d) All of these.
10. What type of study is approached clinically?
11. According to theorists, how many people are required to obtain multiple interpretations of a text?
12. According to Chapter 4, what is a secret message placed within the broader scope of a text?
(a) False message.
(b) Hidden message.
(c) Subliminal message.
(d) Creative message.
13. In Chapter 3, "Literature and Cultural Studies," what does the production of literature drive in society?
(a) The teachers.
(b) The readers.
(c) The church.
(d) The culture.
14. What is the purpose of literary theory, according to "What is Theory?"
(a) To prove writing wrong.
(b) To transcend ignorant readers.
(c) To reflect on ideas.
(d) To tame the masses.
15. What, according to Culler, is unique about cultural studies?
(a) The absence of fact.
(b) Its dual nature.
(c) Its global acceptance.
(d) The disrespect for literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Richard Rorty's area of expertise?
2. According to Culler, if society prefers to invest time in popular culture, how might classical literature be affected?
3. Interpellation studies the effect of ______________ in shaping an individual's actions.
4. Thanks to cultural studies, what has happened to many previously discarded works?
5. Many theorists believe that understanding the meaning of words in a text is ___________.
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)