|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Language, Meaning and Interpretation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Foucault, what form of communication had power over social ideals?
(b) Online resources.
(d) The newspaper.
2. In what century did Rousseau write?
(a) 18th century.
(b) 19th century.
(c) 17th century.
(d) 12th century.
3. According to Culler, if society prefers to invest time in popular culture, how might classical literature be affected?
(a) It will become obsolete.
(b) Writers may stop writing.
(c) It might go out of print.
(d) It would cost less.
4. Who created the theory of interpellation?
(a) Jacob Traventhorn.
(b) Louis Althusser.
(c) Jacques Bouvois.
(d) Shane Montgomery.
5. What form of literary theory tries to bring back voices from the past in an effort to create lost history?
Short Answer Questions
1. Modern Western literature can be traced to ______________.
2. Interpellation studies the effect of ______________ in shaping an individual's actions.
3. On a grand scale, scholars believe literature to have the capability to speak for __________.
4. What literary approach starts with a preconceived notion before offering supporting evidence to payoff that idea?
5. Literature, according to Culler, has the ability to do what for ideology?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)