|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, What Is Literature and Does It Matter?.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of literary theory, according to "What is Theory?"
(a) To reflect on ideas.
(b) To prove writing wrong.
(c) To tame the masses.
(d) To transcend ignorant readers.
2. In Chapter 1, "What is Theory?" Culler defines theory as the opportunity to __________.
(c) All of these.
3. In terms of reading a literary work, Culler believes publication places what burden on a reader?
(a) Buying it.
(b) Sharing it with friends.
(c) Understanding it.
(d) Reading it.
4. In "The History of Sexuality," what was used as a blanket term to describe all aspects related to sexuality?
5. According to Chapter 2, "What is Literature and Does it Matter?" what makes up the bulk of written work prior to modern literature?
(b) Letters and sermons.
Short Answer Questions
1. By creating a vague story or lead character In literature, Culler suggests that the author hopes to achieve what response from the reader?
2. In Chapter 2, what does fiction aim to achieve?
3. What is the significance of published literature, according to Culler?
4. Theory rarely results in __________, according to Culler.
5. According to Foucault, what form of communication had power over social ideals?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)