|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who became president of Czechoslovakia?
(b) Vaclav Havel.
2. How was Russian Orthodox Priest Aleksandr Men murdered?
(a) With an axe.
(b) Mugged, beaten, and left for dead.
(c) Shot in the back.
(d) Pushed off a train.
3. For what amount of time was the May Day parade in Moscow calm and uneventful?
(a) Two hours.
(b) An hour.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 30 minutes.
4. Who was known as the intellectual architect of perestroika?
5. During what years had Lithuania been a free country?
(a) 1918 to 1940.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mikhail Leontyev, who studied economics at Plekhanov Institute, do to avoid working for the regime?
2. What young politician was elected chairman of the October District in Moscow during the first elections?
3. How many died in the camps of Kolyma between 1936 and 1953?
4. Who did the people elect as president in June 1991?
5. What was the first major monument to victims of the regime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Edward Lee Howard?
2. Why did Ilya Zaslavsky hobble to the podium at the Congress the day after Sakharov's death?
3. Why did Yakovlev say that rehabilitation was an act of repentance?
4. Why did the publishers of the Novy Mir not know what to expect when Gorbachev suggested that the Soviet Writers' Union decide whether Solzhenitsyn should be published in the Soviet Union?
5. In 1991, why were the Kremlin hard-liners terrified of the strikes?
6. Describe Shcharansky's celebration of Hanukkah in Perm-35.
7. Who was Miss KGB?
8. How did one of Parkomenko's investigative reports cause a terrific scandal?
9. What were three omens that occurred in September 1990?
10. What did Volkogonov's team reveal in a draft of a history they were writing that appalled the hard-liners?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)