|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who claimed to heal the Romanovs' son of hemophilia?
2. What was the radical opposition faction called that Sakharov, Yeltsin, and Popov put together in the legislature?
(a) Inter-Regional Group.
(b) The Freedom Group.
(d) The New Party.
3. By the summer of 1990, how many people were quitting the Communist Party?
(a) Hundreds of Thousands.
(b) Tens of Thousands.
4. How was Russian Orthodox Priest Aleksandr Men murdered?
(a) Pushed off a train.
(b) Mugged, beaten, and left for dead.
(c) With an axe.
(d) Shot in the back.
5. Who was the television czar who stopped the television stations from broadcasting news about Lithuania?
(a) Aleksandr Nevzorov.
(b) Raimondas Sestakauskas.
(c) Leonid Kravchenko.
(d) Boris Pugo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Yakovlev study abroad?
2. What young politician was elected chairman of the October District in Moscow during the first elections?
3. What book did Solzhenitsyn want Novy Mir to publish first?
4. Who became president of Czechoslovakia?
5. In 1991, where did Yakovlev tell his friends they would soon be seeing one another?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were three omens that occurred in September 1990?
2. Describe Shcharansky's celebration of Hanukkah in Perm-35.
3. Why, for the young, was the West their dream?
4. Why did Ilya Zaslavsky hobble to the podium at the Congress the day after Sakharov's death?
5. What happened to General Matvei Shaposhnikov when he refused to fire on unarmed mine workers in Novocherkassk in 1962?
6. What was "The Charity Society"?
7. What was the Baltic strategy to achieve independence?
8. What was different about the May Day parade in Moscow in 1990?
9. What did Volkogonov's team reveal in a draft of a history they were writing that appalled the hard-liners?
10. How did Yeltsin's appeal to the people for resistance to the coup get published in Izvestia?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)