|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Shevardnadze resign as foreign minister?
(a) December 1990.
(b) January 1991.
(c) November 1990.
(d) September 1990.
2. What was the first major monument to victims of the regime?
(a) A stone from Solovki.
(b) A replica of a prison barracks.
(c) A statue of Solzhenitsyn.
(d) A plaque on Lubyanka Square.
3. Who was Miss KGB?
(a) Valentina Alisovna.
(b) Regina Bogachova.
(c) Larisa Bogoraz.
(d) Katya Mayorova.
4. Where did Remnick meet a free man who was an itinerant fisherman?
(a) Novyy Port.
(c) Sakhalin Island.
5. Who replaced Ligachev as party ideologist?
(a) Vadim Medvedev.
(b) Dmitri Chegodayev.
(c) Oleg Falkovich.
(d) Vladimir Dolgikh.
Short Answer Questions
1. On July 29, what power did Yeltsin want Gorbachev to give to the republics?
2. What young politician was elected chairman of the October District in Moscow during the first elections?
3. Where did Yelena Chukovskaya send an article appealing to the government to return Solzhenitsyn's citizenship?
4. Why did democratic leader Anatoly Sobchak have a picture of Lenin in his office?
5. What sport was popular in the Soviet Union in the seventies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Gorbachev withdrew his support for the 500 Days plan?
2. When did healers, mystics, and "holy fools" usually come to prominence?
3. What was different about the May Day parade in Moscow in 1990?
4. Why did the publishers of the Novy Mir not know what to expect when Gorbachev suggested that the Soviet Writers' Union decide whether Solzhenitsyn should be published in the Soviet Union?
5. Why, for the young, was the West their dream?
6. What did Volkogonov's team reveal in a draft of a history they were writing that appalled the hard-liners?
7. After watching the film "Wall Street" at the Moscow Higher Party School, how did Remnick know that Communist ideology was dead?
8. What did Sakharov try to tell Gorbachev one evening during the first Congress session?
9. How did Yeltsin win his first battle inside the "horror house" of the Soviet system?
10. What was the Baltic strategy to achieve independence?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)