|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Alik the wanderer Remnick met at the Kazan Station, get money?
(a) He was a pickpocket.
(b) He would unload the vodka delivery truck.
(c) He would hold a place in line for people at a store.
(d) He collected empties.
2. Who betrayed Aleksandr Medvedev?
(a) Nikolai Petrakov.
(b) Boris Chagin.
(c) Yuri Kukushkin.
(d) Anatoly Kapustin.
3. What textbook did Stalin supervise and have fifty million copies published?
(a) Determinist History.
(b) Let History Judge.
(c) History of the Communist Party.
(d) Short Course.
4. Who was one of the key plotters in the August coup?
(b) Valery Boldin.
(d) Vladimir Tokaryev.
5. Which former cellmate of Solzhenitsyn was a role model for Pavel Litvinov?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who would be undermined if the truth about the massacres is revealed?
2. What happened to some of those who executed the Polish officers?
3. What was Karpinsky's job after entering Moscow State University in 1947?
4. In the 1989 elections, what percent of the 2,250 deputies were Party members?
5. Where did Tretetsky serve before being assigned to the Military Prosecutor's Office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Natasha Rapoport not emigrate to Israel?
2. Why did Shakhnazarov say that Gorbachev, himself, and all the others who surrounded Gorbachev were double-thinkers?
3. Who was the most flamboyant mafia figure in the Soviet Union?
4. In the 1980s, why did Gorbachev say that there should be no more "rose-colored glasses"?
5. What central fact of Gorbachev's early life did he keep to himself until 1990?
6. What did filmmaker Tofik Shakhverdiyev say it meant in 1988 to be a Stalinist?
7. What gnawing uncertainty is the condition of life in the Soviet Union for an empire inhabited by holocaust survivors and the children of survivors?
8. How did the revolution from below begin in July of 1989?
9. As people learned about the true history of the Stalin era, why were they weary and bored?
10. What is the dilemma that Mishal and Flora Litvinov faced with their children?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)