|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the explosion of the first Soviet thermonuclear bomb?
(a) September 15, 1950.
(b) August 12, 1953.
(c) December 16, 1954.
(d) March 18, 1952.
2. In 1968, what was Alexander Dubcek's attempt to create "socialism with a human face" called?
(a) Czech Socialism.
(b) Czech demonstration.
(c) Czechoslovakia Freedom.
(d) Prague Spring.
3. In 1989 when the people were to vote for the new Congress of People's Deputies, who wanted sovereignty?
(c) The Baltic republics.
4. What was the title of the letter published in the Sovetskaya Rossiya that contradicted everything Gorbachev, Yakovlev, and the liberal intelligentsia had been saying?
(a) Nina's Letter.
(b) A Letter from a Chemistry Teacher.
(c) History of Socialism.
(d) I Cannot Forsake Principles.
5. How did Gorbachev deal with people like Sakharov who kept criticizing the congress?
(a) Would not allow Sakharov to return to the congress the next day.
(b) Turned off the microphone and had him sit down.
(c) Called on a party supporter to speak instead.
(d) Had Sakharov removed from the building.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was one of the key plotters in the August coup?
2. Who was Bukharian's wife?
3. What society did Pavel belong to that tells him that there could be enemies anywhere, even at home?
4. When did the return of history begin?
5. Where was Gorbachev when the letter in the Sovetskaya Rossiya was published on March 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gorbachev do about the letter published March 13 in the Sovetskaya Rossiya?
2. Was the corruption in the Party a secret to the Soviet people?
3. What gnawing uncertainty is the condition of life in the Soviet Union for an empire inhabited by holocaust survivors and the children of survivors?
4. How did Mukhamed Valsapar in Turkmenia stir up the Party?
5. Who is Lydia Chukovskaya?
6. What was the homeless situation in Moscow in 1988?
7. Who was the most flamboyant mafia figure in the Soviet Union?
8. What did filmmaker Tofik Shakhverdiyev say it meant in 1988 to be a Stalinist?
9. How did Yakovlev know that the article "I Cannot Forsake Principles" was sanctioned?
10. In the 1980s, why did Gorbachev say that there should be no more "rose-colored glasses"?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)