|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Stalin have his prison camps?
(d) Sakhalin Island.
2. What book project got Volkogonov demoted to the Institute of Military History?
(a) A history of the czars.
(b) A book about Khrushchev.
(c) A history of World War II.
(d) A book about Stalin.
3. What country did Trivimi Velliste, president of the Estonian Heritage Society, use as an example for the road to Independence?
4. What was the name of the last prison for political prisoners?
(d) Solovetsk Special Camp.
5. What event in the Ukraine signaled the end of the old Soviet regime?
(a) Fall of the Berlin Wall.
(b) The release of Sakharov.
(d) Metal workers went on strike.
6. In 1991, where did Yakovlev tell his friends they would soon be seeing one another?
(b) The United States.
(c) The Baltic States.
7. Why was the Party so against the publication of Solzhenitsyn's books and his return to the Soviet Union?
(a) He attacked Stalin.
(b) He attacked Lenin.
(c) He attacked Khrushchev.
(d) He attacked Brezhnev.
8. Who became the new KGB chief in 1988?
(a) Jonas Jablonskis.
(b) Stepan Khamara.
(c) Vladimir Kryuchkov.
(d) Viktor Chebrikov.
9. Who replaced Ligachev as party ideologist?
(a) Dmitri Chegodayev.
(b) Oleg Falkovich.
(c) Vadim Medvedev.
(d) Vladimir Dolgikh.
10. To whom did some followers compare Father Aleksandr Men?
11. How many died in the camps of Kolyma between 1936 and 1953?
(b) Nearly two million.
(c) Around three million.
(d) About a million.
12. During what years had Lithuania been a free country?
(b) 1918 to 1940.
13. For what amount of time was the May Day parade in Moscow calm and uneventful?
(a) An hour.
(b) Two hours.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 30 minutes.
14. Who did Volkogonov say was probably responsible for the 1934 murder of Leningrad Party chief Sergei Kirov?
15. Who was a self-proclaimed pioneer of Soviet capitalism who set up a private commodities brokerage?
(b) German Sterligov.
(c) Anton Danielets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the people elect as president in June 1991?
2. Who was Miss KGB?
3. What young Party leader in Southern Russia did Yakovlev help protect in the 1970s?
4. Who was the Soviet who supposedly collaborated with Christine Keller to bring down Profumo, Britain's minister of war?
5. Where did Yakovlev study abroad?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)