|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Miss KGB?
(a) Regina Bogachova.
(b) Katya Mayorova.
(c) Valentina Alisovna.
(d) Larisa Bogoraz.
2. Who was the first CIA operative ever to defect to the Soviet Union and the KGB?
(a) David Johnson.
(b) John Smythe.
(c) Edward Howard.
(d) Andrew Holmes.
3. What was the plan called that was supposed to dismantle the Soviet system?
(a) 500 Days.
(b) Economic Revival.
(c) People's Economy.
(d) Economic Renewal.
4. Why was the Party so against the publication of Solzhenitsyn's books and his return to the Soviet Union?
(a) He attacked Khrushchev.
(b) He attacked Brezhnev.
(c) He attacked Lenin.
(d) He attacked Stalin.
5. What did the battle over the draft for a new history book represent to Yazov?
(a) Struggle for power in the Soviet Union.
(b) The trend toward democracy.
(c) Disrespect for the system.
(d) Young men ignoring their draft notices.
6. What Article of the Constitution did Sakharov want Gorbachev to appeal?
(a) Article 1.
(b) Article 6.
(c) Article 12.
(d) Article 15.
7. Who wrote "How Can We Revitalize Russia" published September 18, 1990, in "Komsomolskaya Pravda"?
8. Who claimed to heal the Romanovs' son of hemophilia?
9. What American movie was shown to students at the Moscow Higher Party School?
(a) Schindler's List.
(b) Wall Street.
(c) The Matrix.
(d) Forest Gump.
10. Who became president of Czechoslovakia?
(d) Vaclav Havel.
11. What country did Trivimi Velliste, president of the Estonian Heritage Society, use as an example for the road to Independence?
12. Who was the healer on the program "120 Minutes"?
(c) Alan Chumak.
13. How long did economist Stanislav Shatalin think it would be before the Soviet Union would have a modern economy?
(a) 500 days.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 25 years.
14. Why did poet Varlam Shalamov spend seventeen years in a camp at Kolyma?
(a) For saying Nobel Prize winner Ivan Bunin was a classic author.
(b) For writing articles blasting the KGB.
(c) For speaking against Stalin.
(d) For writing poetry that made fun of the military.
15. Who started what was billed as the first independent newspaper in the Soviet Union?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Yelena Chukovskaya send an article appealing to the government to return Solzhenitsyn's citizenship?
2. How much was a million Russian rubles worth on the open market in the late 1980s?
3. How long after Gorbachev's 1989 visit to Berlin did the Berlin wall collapse?
4. What was General Antonovich Volkogonov assigned to write by the hard-liners in 1990?
5. Who did Volkogonov say was probably responsible for the 1934 murder of Leningrad Party chief Sergei Kirov?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)