|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book did Solzhenitsyn want Novy Mir to publish first?
(a) The Gulag Archipelago.
(b) First Circle.
(c) One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich.
(d) Cancer Ward.
2. What did the battle over the draft for a new history book represent to Yazov?
(a) Disrespect for the system.
(b) The trend toward democracy.
(c) Struggle for power in the Soviet Union.
(d) Young men ignoring their draft notices.
3. Why did the workers strike at Novocherkassk in June 1962?
(a) They wanted better working conditions.
(b) The prices of food went up and their wages went down.
(c) They wanted better hours.
(d) They wanted soap.
4. Who did the people elect as president in June 1991?
5. How did some miners get to their work stations in Sinegorsk?
(a) Down broad stairwells.
(b) Down twisting, dangerous steps.
(c) On elevators.
(d) Sliding and creeping along stone.
6. What event in the Ukraine signaled the end of the old Soviet regime?
(a) Metal workers went on strike.
(c) The release of Sakharov.
(d) Fall of the Berlin Wall.
7. Where did Yakovlev go after an article of his irritated Brezhnev?
(a) United States.
8. Who was the television czar who stopped the television stations from broadcasting news about Lithuania?
(a) Aleksandr Nevzorov.
(b) Raimondas Sestakauskas.
(c) Leonid Kravchenko.
(d) Boris Pugo.
9. Who became president of Czechoslovakia?
(d) Vaclav Havel.
10. Who claimed to heal the Romanovs' son of hemophilia?
11. Who wrote "How Can We Revitalize Russia" published September 18, 1990, in "Komsomolskaya Pravda"?
12. In 1991, where did Yakovlev tell his friends they would soon be seeing one another?
(b) The United States.
(d) The Baltic States.
13. Where did Stalin have his prison camps?
(b) Sakhalin Island.
14. Who started what was billed as the first independent newspaper in the Soviet Union?
15. Who from the United States warned Foreign Minister Aleksandr Bessmertnykh of a military coup?
(a) The Secretary of State, James Baker.
(b) Attorney General,Richard L. Thornburgh.
(c) The President of the United States, George Bush.
(d) Secretary of Defense, Richard Cheney.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Orwell call a KGB type organization?
2. What made Kapustin show his true feelings to Remnick?
3. Which Russian author wrote about Sakhalin Island?
4. How much was a million Russian rubles worth on the open market in the late 1980s?
5. What country did Trivimi Velliste, president of the Estonian Heritage Society, use as an example for the road to Independence?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)