|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What young politician was elected chairman of the October District in Moscow during the first elections?
(a) Anatoly Sobchak.
(b) German Sterligov.
(c) Vyacheslav Shostokovsky.
(d) Ilya Zaslavsky.
2. Who was Miss KGB?
(a) Regina Bogachova.
(b) Larisa Bogoraz.
(c) Katya Mayorova.
(d) Valentina Alisovna.
3. What was General Antonovich Volkogonov assigned to write by the hard-liners in 1990?
(a) A new official history of the Soviet Union.
(b) A biography of Stalin.
(c) A biography of Stalin.
(d) A history of the Bolshevik Revolution.
4. Who was a self-proclaimed pioneer of Soviet capitalism who set up a private commodities brokerage?
(a) German Sterligov.
(c) Anton Danielets.
5. Where did Aleksandr Yakovlev almost die during World War II?
(a) A battlefield outside Berlin.
(b) A battlefield outside Leningrad.
(c) A battlefield outside Moscow.
(d) A battlefield outside Stalingrad.
6. Why did democratic leader Anatoly Sobchak have a picture of Lenin in his office?
(a) Because there was a stain on the wallpaper.
(b) Because Gorbachev asked him to leave it up.
(c) Because he still respected Lenin.
(d) Because he was afraid of people's reaction if he took it down.
7. Who was a video healer who appeared on state television?
8. What sport was popular in the Soviet Union in the seventies?
9. Why did poet Varlam Shalamov spend seventeen years in a camp at Kolyma?
(a) For saying Nobel Prize winner Ivan Bunin was a classic author.
(b) For writing poetry that made fun of the military.
(c) For speaking against Stalin.
(d) For writing articles blasting the KGB.
10. How long did economist Stanislav Shatalin think it would be before the Soviet Union would have a modern economy?
(a) 5 years.
(c) 500 days.
(d) 25 years.
11. What American movie was shown to students at the Moscow Higher Party School?
(a) Forest Gump.
(b) Wall Street.
(c) Schindler's List.
(d) The Matrix.
12. Who started what was billed as the first independent newspaper in the Soviet Union?
13. Who was the healer on the program "120 Minutes"?
(d) Alan Chumak.
14. Where did Yelena Chukovskaya send an article appealing to the government to return Solzhenitsyn's citizenship?
(a) Writers' Union.
(b) Book Review.
(c) Worker's World.
(d) Novy Mir.
15. How much was a million Russian rubles worth on the open market in the late 1980s?
Short Answer Questions
1. When were tanks sent to Lithuania? .
2. What did Pugo's men do during Bush's visit to the Soviet Union?
3. How did the Baltic republics win their independence?
4. Who wrote "How Can We Revitalize Russia" published September 18, 1990, in "Komsomolskaya Pravda"?
5. In 1991, what do the miners want?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)