|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to release victims of the Doctors' Plot who had been imprisoned?
(a) Gorbachov's interference.
(b) World dignitaries demanded their release.
(c) Khrushchev's disapproval.
(d) Stalin's death.
2. When was the explosion of the first Soviet thermonuclear bomb?
(a) August 12, 1953.
(b) March 18, 1952.
(c) December 16, 1954.
(d) September 15, 1950.
3. What was the legacy of collectivization?
(a) More than seven thousand ruined villages.
(b) The peasants increased their standard of living.
(c) Young people moved to the farms to work there.
(d) Food production increased.
4. What did Remnick see when he was talking to an old man whose wife had leukemia?
(a) A tenant evicted.
(b) A cat thrown out of a window.
(c) An old grandmother.
(d) Men playing dominoes.
5. When did Remnick move to Moscow?
(a) March 1990.
(b) January 1988.
(c) May, 1988.
(d) January 1987.
6. How big was Remnick's Moscow apartment?
(a) Two rooms.
(b) Five rooms.
(c) One room.
(d) Four rooms.
7. When did Gorbachev take office?
(a) March 1986.
(b) March 1985.
(c) January 1985.
(d) December 1984.
8. In 1968, what was Alexander Dubcek's attempt to create "socialism with a human face" called?
(a) Czech demonstration.
(b) Czech Socialism.
(c) Czechoslovakia Freedom.
(d) Prague Spring.
9. In 1989 when the people were to vote for the new Congress of People's Deputies, who wanted sovereignty?
(c) The Baltic republics.
10. In the 1989 elections, what percent of the 2,250 deputies were Party members?
(a) 80 percent.
(b) 50 percent.
(c) 25 percent.
(d) 95 percent.
11. What did Gorbachev use to spread his message?
12. Who betrayed Aleksandr Medvedev?
(a) Yuri Kukushkin.
(b) Nikolai Petrakov.
(c) Anatoly Kapustin.
(d) Boris Chagin.
13. What kept the Soviet economy going for awhile?
(b) Steel production.
(c) Oil revenue and the energy crisis.
(d) Exports of wheat.
14. Who refused to be interviewed by Remnick during the first session of Congress?
(a) Viktor Chebrikov.
(d) Yuri Vlasov.
15. What did Sakharov love most of all in life, according to Yelena Bonner?
(a) The poem "Requiem."
(b) Radio background emanation.
(c) Mussorgsky's music.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who succeeded Brezhnev?
2. What group threatened the Jews in Leningrad, Moscow, and Novosibirsk?
3. Where was Geidar Aliyev the Party boss for two decades?
4. How many index cards did Dmitri Yurosov manage to accumulate in eighteen months at the archive of the Supreme Court?
5. What happened to some of those who executed the Polish officers?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)