|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Admiral Ackbar not present for the strategy meeting in the fourteenth chapter?
2. What promise does Luke make to Mara in Chapter 24?
3. What does Karrde suggest the smugglers steal from Bilbringi in Chapter 20?
4. Who stabs Thrawn, causing the death of the last Grand Admiral and forcing the Empire to retreat?
5. Who recalls that only forty seven people can hear the transmitted messages of Ghent's decrypting program?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprising tactical decision does Thrawn make at the end of Chapter 20?
2. What disagreement do Fey'lya and Mon Mothma have in Chapter 20?
3. How does the meeting of the smugglers at Hijarna depict the doubts of the smugglers in Chapter 15?
4. What deal does Luke offer to C'baoth and how does Mara respond?
5. What attacks the Rebels as the Millennium Falcon's ramp lowers on Wayland?
6. What method does the New Republic use to locate the cloaked asteroids on Coruscant?
7. How does Luke begin his confrontation with C'baoth in Chapter 26?
8. What position does the New Republic offer Mara, and how does The Last Command end?
9. What promise does Mara ask Luke to make as they are entering the mountain, and how does he respond?
10. Who are Drang and Sturm, and what is their purpose in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With The Last Command, Timothy Zahn introduces and develops a story around a mixture of familiar and new characters in a thematic writing style.
1) Describe the introduction of the main characters in the book, including the difference between how Zahn chooses to develop the characters from the Star Wars movies and the new characters.
2) Explain how Zahn's writing style compares to a screenplay and the possible reasons for his choice to write the novel this way.
3) Analyze three examples of how Zahn references the Star Wars films, what the references add to the story, and if the familiarity of the films is a reasonable necessity for the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Luke and Mara have very different pasts with the Empire.
1) Explain Mara's past and how her experiences with the Emperor have preconditioned her to struggle with an internal conflict.
2) Describe Luke's past dealings with the Emperor and how they help Mara work through her confusion.
3) Analyze the differences between Luke and Mara as well as their similarities in their outlook on the Empire and the New Republic.
Essay Topic 3
The Noghri are an important part of the plot in The Last Command.
1) Describe the planet Honoghr, its past problems, and how they were resolved.
2) Explain what the Noghri have experienced with the Empire and how that influences the story.
3) Describe the loyalty of the Noghri to Luke and Leia and its origin.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)