|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the severed hand that led to the creation of Luke's clone originate?
2. Who, controlled by C'baoth, arrange for his release in Chapter 24?
3. What is the name of Luke's clone?
4. As Leia talks with General Rieekan, what are the cruisers using to prevent traffic to or from Coruscant?
5. Whose lightsaber does Mara use to destroy Luke's clone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Thrawn's hit and fade operation launched against Coruscant?
2. What is the result of the meeting between the Rebels and the Myneyrshi and Psadans?
3. What attacks the Rebels as the Millennium Falcon's ramp lowers on Wayland?
4. How is C'baoth imprisoned and released on Wayland?
5. How is Luke's clone, Luuke, developed?
6. How is C'baoth destroyed?
7. How does Luke begin his confrontation with C'baoth in Chapter 26?
8. What position does the New Republic offer Mara, and how does The Last Command end?
9. How does the Council of the New Republic learn that the reports about the Empire's secret weapon are fraudulent?
10. Who are Drang and Sturm, and what is their purpose in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The confrontation at Mt. Tantiss is an important part of the epic finale to The Last Command.
1) Describe how the Rebels enter the mountain and the importance of Mara's memory in their plan.
2) Explain how C'baoth is imprisoned and released and his use of the ysalamiri.
3) Describe the development of Luke's clone, Luuke, the battle between Luke and his clone, and how Mara breaks free from the Emperor.
4) Explain Luke's offers to C'baoth, why C'baoth must keep Luke and Mara alive, and C'baoth's death.
5) Analyze the effects of the battle for Luke and Mara, Luke's gift to Mara, and what their future is in the New Republic.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the writing style of the dramatic events surrounding the birth of the twins, how Leia's Jedi training helps her, and what she senses for the future of her babies. Include Han's reaction to the birth and the possible impact the twins could have on Leia' s responsibility to the New Republic Council.
Essay Topic 3
Zahn uses a number of literary techniques to write The Last Command.
1) Analyze three examples of foreshadowing throughout the book.
2) Explain the descriptive techniques used in three different parts of the book (example: the cloning cavern in Mt. Tantiss, the creatures on Wayland, etc.)
3) Analyze the overall tone of the book and how it changes for different events.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)