|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Imperial attack forces use to trap the smugglers at Bilbringi?
2. What difficulties are the smugglers encountering in the fifteenth chapter?
3. Who shuts down the mountain's intake systems, helping Luke to see ahead?
4. How much time is the fuse set for by Lando and Chewie to destroy the mountain?
5. As reported by Imperial intelligence, what is the probability that the Rebels will target Tangrene?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leia deal with Karrde on Coruscant?
2. How is Thrawn's hit and fade operation launched against Coruscant?
3. How do the Rebels discover that C'baoth is inside of the throne room?
4. What is the result of the meeting between the Rebels and the Myneyrshi and Psadans?
5. What surprising tactical decision does Thrawn make at the end of Chapter 20?
6. How is Thrawn destroyed?
7. How does Mara begin to understand what Luke is going through in Chapter 19 and see things from a different perspective?
8. Why does Leia explain the secret mission to Wayland to the Council, and what is their reaction?
9. How is C'baoth imprisoned and released on Wayland?
10. How is Wayland described, and what are Han's concerns when the Millennium Falcon lands there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luke and Mara have very different pasts with the Empire.
1) Explain Mara's past and how her experiences with the Emperor have preconditioned her to struggle with an internal conflict.
2) Describe Luke's past dealings with the Emperor and how they help Mara work through her confusion.
3) Analyze the differences between Luke and Mara as well as their similarities in their outlook on the Empire and the New Republic.
Essay Topic 2
With The Last Command, Timothy Zahn introduces and develops a story around a mixture of familiar and new characters in a thematic writing style.
1) Describe the introduction of the main characters in the book, including the difference between how Zahn chooses to develop the characters from the Star Wars movies and the new characters.
2) Explain how Zahn's writing style compares to a screenplay and the possible reasons for his choice to write the novel this way.
3) Analyze three examples of how Zahn references the Star Wars films, what the references add to the story, and if the familiarity of the films is a reasonable necessity for the reader.
Essay Topic 3
The three main elements of the story's end battle at Bilbringi prepare for the upcoming confrontations in unique yet similar ways.
1) Describe how Thrawn and the Empire prepare to face the Rebels and the surprising aspect of the strategy that Thrawn uses.
2) Explain the New Republic's strategy for facing the Empire, how they develop it, and which leaders are the most influential in the decisions.
3) Describe the plans of Karrde and the smugglers for the final battles between the Empire and the New Republic.
4) Analyze the similarities and differences of all three elements (the Empire, the Rebel Alliance, and the smugglers) as they approach the story's conclusion.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)