|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bel Iblis doubt the number of asteroids heading towards Coruscant?
2. How many potential asteroids could the Rebels be faced with finding after Thrawn shatters them?
3. Who does Mara think might be responsible for the clawbird carcass she and Luke discover?
4. How does Ferrier die?
5. What helps Karrde land at the rearguard on Wayland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What attacks the Rebels as the Millennium Falcon's ramp lowers on Wayland?
2. How does Luke begin his confrontation with C'baoth in Chapter 26?
3. How is C'baoth destroyed?
4. How is C'baoth imprisoned and released on Wayland?
5. How does Leia deal with Karrde on Coruscant?
6. What surprising tactical decision does Thrawn make at the end of Chapter 20?
7. What sign do Luke and Mara find in Chapter 19, and how does Mara explain it?
8. What important conversation do Luke and Mara have in Chapter 16?
9. How does the meeting of the smugglers at Hijarna depict the doubts of the smugglers in Chapter 15?
10. What is Leia's dream in the beginning of Chapter 14, and how does she respond to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Noghri are an important part of the plot in The Last Command.
1) Describe the planet Honoghr, its past problems, and how they were resolved.
2) Explain what the Noghri have experienced with the Empire and how that influences the story.
3) Describe the loyalty of the Noghri to Luke and Leia and its origin.
Essay Topic 2
The three main elements of the story's end battle at Bilbringi prepare for the upcoming confrontations in unique yet similar ways.
1) Describe how Thrawn and the Empire prepare to face the Rebels and the surprising aspect of the strategy that Thrawn uses.
2) Explain the New Republic's strategy for facing the Empire, how they develop it, and which leaders are the most influential in the decisions.
3) Describe the plans of Karrde and the smugglers for the final battles between the Empire and the New Republic.
4) Analyze the similarities and differences of all three elements (the Empire, the Rebel Alliance, and the smugglers) as they approach the story's conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Zahn uses a number of literary techniques to write The Last Command.
1) Analyze three examples of foreshadowing throughout the book.
2) Explain the descriptive techniques used in three different parts of the book (example: the cloning cavern in Mt. Tantiss, the creatures on Wayland, etc.)
3) Analyze the overall tone of the book and how it changes for different events.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)