|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the battle at Xa Fel before the Rebels retreat?
2. What does Mara picture as Luke faces his clone in a lightsaber battle?
3. Who, controlled by C'baoth, arrange for his release in Chapter 24?
4. Who reports Mara's disappearance in Chapter 14?
5. Where are Luke and Mara in the final scene of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the inside of Mt. Tantiss described?
2. How is C'baoth imprisoned and released on Wayland?
3. What is Leia's dream in the beginning of Chapter 14, and how does she respond to it?
4. How is C'baoth destroyed?
5. What method does the New Republic use to locate the cloaked asteroids on Coruscant?
6. How does Luke begin his confrontation with C'baoth in Chapter 26?
7. How does Leia deal with Karrde on Coruscant?
8. How does the Council of the New Republic learn that the reports about the Empire's secret weapon are fraudulent?
9. How does Mara begin to understand what Luke is going through in Chapter 19 and see things from a different perspective?
10. How does Ferrier die at the meeting of the smugglers on Hijarna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The confrontation at Mt. Tantiss is an important part of the epic finale to The Last Command.
1) Describe how the Rebels enter the mountain and the importance of Mara's memory in their plan.
2) Explain how C'baoth is imprisoned and released and his use of the ysalamiri.
3) Describe the development of Luke's clone, Luuke, the battle between Luke and his clone, and how Mara breaks free from the Emperor.
4) Explain Luke's offers to C'baoth, why C'baoth must keep Luke and Mara alive, and C'baoth's death.
5) Analyze the effects of the battle for Luke and Mara, Luke's gift to Mara, and what their future is in the New Republic.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail the battle at Bilbringi between the Empire and the New Republic. Include analysis of how Thrawn uses the element of surprise to gain an advantage, the actions of the Rebel Alliance and the smugglers, Thrawn's eventual demise, and the effects it has on the Empire.
Essay Topic 3
With The Last Command, Timothy Zahn introduces and develops a story around a mixture of familiar and new characters in a thematic writing style.
1) Describe the introduction of the main characters in the book, including the difference between how Zahn chooses to develop the characters from the Star Wars movies and the new characters.
2) Explain how Zahn's writing style compares to a screenplay and the possible reasons for his choice to write the novel this way.
3) Analyze three examples of how Zahn references the Star Wars films, what the references add to the story, and if the familiarity of the films is a reasonable necessity for the reader.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)