|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Han respond to Mara's Imperial background when Luke updates him?
2. Why is C'baoth growing angrier?
3. What planet is the Millennium Falcon near when it runs into TIE fighters in Chapter 1?
4. What does Leia do when the guards break the lock of her suite door in Chapter 9?
5. What puzzles Bel Iblis and Lando in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What promise does Mara ask Luke to make as they are entering the mountain, and how does he respond?
2. What deal does Luke offer to C'baoth and how does Mara respond?
3. What is the purpose of Luke's mission on the planet Calius?
4. How are the Noghri and the planet, Honoghr, described?
5. What motivates Mara to remember an important piece of information and help Leia in Chapter 11?
6. How is the inside of Mt. Tantiss described?
7. What method does the New Republic use to locate the cloaked asteroids on Coruscant?
8. How does Luke escape the attempts to capture him on Poderis?
9. How is C'baoth imprisoned and released on Wayland?
10. How are Leia's twins born?
Essay Topic 1
With The Last Command, Timothy Zahn introduces and develops a story around a mixture of familiar and new characters in a thematic writing style.
1) Describe the introduction of the main characters in the book, including the difference between how Zahn chooses to develop the characters from the Star Wars movies and the new characters.
2) Explain how Zahn's writing style compares to a screenplay and the possible reasons for his choice to write the novel this way.
3) Analyze three examples of how Zahn references the Star Wars films, what the references add to the story, and if the familiarity of the films is a reasonable necessity for the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the trap set for Luke on Poderis, the way he escapes capture twice, and how the suspense created is similar to the action sequences of the Star Wars movies. Also, discuss the significance of the planet Poderis and the reason for Luke's visit there.
Essay Topic 3
Thrawn uses a certain degree of restraint when dealing with the failures of those he associates with.
1) Describe the way Thrawn reacts to the raid at Trogan.
2) Explain how Thrawn handles the initial events at Bilbringi.
3) Analyze the differences in Thrawn's approach to failures with Darth Vader and the Emperor as well as Thrawn's own reputation.
This section contains 2,042 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)