|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Karrde and Gillespee meet in Chapter 6?
2. Who agrees to help Karrde avenge Lishma's death?
3. As reported by Han, who is Lando having difficulties with?
4. How many scenes are there in Chapter 1 of The Last Command?
5. Why does Luke fly to Honoghr?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mara's response to the Rebels' plan and how does Han counter her cynicism?
2. What suggestion does Leia make in Chapter 8 to Mara?
3. How are the Noghri and the planet, Honoghr, described?
4. How are C'baoth and Thrawn divided in Chapter 12?
5. What does Mara see after Leia leaves and how does she respond?
6. How do the Noghri arrive at Coruscant undetected, and what does Han object to about their involvement?
7. What is the topic of discussion for Leia and Han in the beginning of Chapter 8?
8. How does Luke escape the attempts to capture him on Poderis?
9. What is the purpose of Luke's mission on the planet Calius?
10. What does Luke see while on Honoghr, and how does he react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With The Last Command, Timothy Zahn introduces and develops a story around a mixture of familiar and new characters in a thematic writing style.
1) Describe the introduction of the main characters in the book, including the difference between how Zahn chooses to develop the characters from the Star Wars movies and the new characters.
2) Explain how Zahn's writing style compares to a screenplay and the possible reasons for his choice to write the novel this way.
3) Analyze three examples of how Zahn references the Star Wars films, what the references add to the story, and if the familiarity of the films is a reasonable necessity for the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Luke Skywalker is introduced while he is on the planet Calius.
1) Describe the purpose of Luke's mission on Calius.
2) Explain the significance of the meeting with Karrde on Calius and the effects of it during the remainder of the book.
3) Describe Luke's mastery of the Force, how complete it is, and the reasons behind the level of his training.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the writing style of the dramatic events surrounding the birth of the twins, how Leia's Jedi training helps her, and what she senses for the future of her babies. Include Han's reaction to the birth and the possible impact the twins could have on Leia' s responsibility to the New Republic Council.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)