1. What happened to the Congo Free State in 1908?
In 1908, the Congo Free State was annexed to Belgium as a colony and was renamed the Belgian Congo.
2. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
Leopold used his personal control of the Congo to strip the country of vast amounts of wealth in the form of ivory and rubber.
3. When did things change in the Congo?
Things changed in the Congo, particularly the conditions for the locals, when the ivory and rubber supplies were exhausted.
4. How does Hochschild begin the book?
Hochschild begins the book with Morel's flash of moral recognition on the Antwerp docks.
5. What happened to the Africans that other Africans captured and took to the coastal towns?
The Africans that other Africans captured and took to the coastal towns were chained, baptized, and transported on Portuguese vessels to be slaves in crop and mine fields in the New World.
This section contains 2,300 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)