Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the Congo Free State in 1908?
2. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
3. When did things change in the Congo?
4. How does Hochschild begin the book?
5. What happened to the Africans that other Africans captured and took to the coastal towns?
6. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
7. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
8. What happened to the Europeans on Stanley's expedition in 1874?
9. What did Stanley pretend to be once he was a celebrity?
10. Why did Leopold embark on a plan to gain the Congo as a colonial possession?
11. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
12. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
13. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
14. What was ivory used for in Europe?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)