|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What philosophical school did Hume belong to?
2. When did Kant publish "Prolegomena to any Future metaphysic which shall lay Claim to being a Science"?
3. What are the statements "Fido is on the couch" and "Fido is not on the couch" examples of?
4. What did Kant say is a privileged place in perception?
5. Which of the following is true about the statement of "Fido has brown spots"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Kant considered to be eccentric?
2. Why is Descartes' "certain knowledge" a problem?
3. How did Kant react to the arguments from Hume and Leibniz?
4. Describe mistakes as they are described in the reading.
5. What is objective knowledge?
6. Describe Kant's time in school.
7. Describe Kant's fundamental question of metaphysics.
8. What are Kant's categories of thought?
9. Why do you think Kant wanted to believe in the existence of the soul from a philosophical standpoint?
10. What was Leibniz's argument about reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are phenomena and noumena? What is the difference between the two concepts? How are they related?
Essay Topic 2
What are aesthetics? Why are aesthetics important to philosophy? How do people perceive beauty, according to Kant?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the difference between analytic and synthetic truths and provide an example of each.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)