|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is true about Kant's time in school?
(a) He enjoyed talking to the teachers.
(b) He enjoyed spending time with his peers.
(c) He hated his time in school.
(d) He hated learning, but his teachers encouraged him.
2. Who began the problem of objective knowledge?
3. Whose theories greatly influenced Kant's metaphysical system?
(d) Isaac Newton.
4. How was Kant influenced by Leibniz?
(a) He agreed with him so much.
(b) He thought Leibniz was more intelligent than Hume.
(c) He had so many disagreements with him.
(d) He sided with Leibniz over Hume.
5. What is the problem with Descartes' certain knowledge?
(a) It assumes that humans think.
(b) It assumes the existence of a self.
(c) It assumes that breathing warrants thinking.
(d) It assumes that existence warrants thinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What philosophical school did Leibniz belong to?
2. When was "Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals" published?
3. According to Hume, what does all knowledge come through?
4. What was Kant's fundamental question of metaphysics?
5. According to Kant, what is essential to the development of an ethical theory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Kant's categories of thought?
2. Why do you think Kant wanted to believe in the existence of the soul from a philosophical standpoint?
3. What is the difference between a substance and a property? Give an example of each.
4. Describe Kant's fundamental question of metaphysics.
5. Describe Kant's published life.
6. According to Hume, what is needed to believe or understand something?
7. What did Kant think about marriage?
8. Why was Kant considered to be eccentric?
9. What does the following statement mean? Existence is not a predicate of perfection.
10. Describe the purpose of Kant's subjective argument.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)