|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which type of argument about religion did Kant believe had little weight?
(a) Arguments from design.
(b) Scientific arguments.
(c) Cosmological arguments.
(d) Ontological arguments.
2. What did Kant study throughout his early academic career?
(d) A variety of disciplines.
3. How was Kant influenced by Leibniz?
(a) He agreed with him so much.
(b) He had so many disagreements with him.
(c) He thought Leibniz was more intelligent than Hume.
(d) He sided with Leibniz over Hume.
4. What philosophical school did Hume belong to?
5. When did Kant publish "Prolegomena to any Future metaphysic which shall lay Claim to being a Science"?
6. Which of the following would have best described Kant?
7. What did Kant's subjective argument concern?
(a) Explaining the faculties of understanding the self.
(b) Explaining the proof that the self exists.
(c) Proving that the self is a property.
(d) Proving that the self is a substance.
8. What philosophical school did Leibniz belong to?
9. According to Hume, what can reason tell us about?
(a) One's experience.
(b) One's faith.
(c) One's intelligence.
(d) One's fears.
10. Where was David Hume from?
11. What do phenomena represent?
(a) Rational beings.
(b) Irrational beings.
(d) Real objects.
12. What are the first types of truths, according to Kant?
(a) False and accurate.
(b) Analytic and synthetic.
(c) Rational and irrational.
(d) Real and unreal.
13. When beginning an argument, what did Kant appeal to?
(a) The sense of intelligence.
(b) The most basic sense of integrity.
(c) The most extraordinary facts.
(d) The most basic facts.
14. What is described by something whose existence is not dependent upon anything else?
15. Which of the following is true about Kant's time in school?
(a) He hated his time in school.
(b) He enjoyed spending time with his peers.
(c) He hated learning, but his teachers encouraged him.
(d) He enjoyed talking to the teachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Kant come close to marriage?
2. What statement sums up Descartes' certain piece of knowledge?
3. What is cosmology?
4. What do all religious arguments collapse into, according to Kant?
5. For Hume to believe something, what did he need?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)