|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Kant's objective argument concern?
(a) The content of the self.
(b) The existence of the self outside the mind.
(c) The content of synthetic a priori knowledge.
(d) The existence of self-consciousness.
2. Which of the following statements about Kant is true?
(a) Kant believed that proving the existence of a soul would prove the existence of God.
(b) Kant believed the soul was a noumenon.
(c) Kant believed the soul was a phenomenon.
(d) Kant did not believe one could view one's own soul as an object.
3. What did Descartes argue was the first and most certain piece of knowledge?
(a) One is an intelligent self.
(b) One is a human being.
(c) One has an identity.
(d) One is a thinking self.
4. Unlike Descartes, what was Kant unwilling to draw the conclusion that he was?
(a) A philosopher.
(b) A self.
(c) A substance.
(d) A property.
5. Which of the following would have best described Kant?
6. What did "Critique of Practical Reason" deal with?
7. According to Scruton, Kant was the first philosopher since whom to place a significant emphasis on aesthetics?
8. What is described by something whose existence is not dependent upon anything else?
9. Which of the following was Kant a determined opponent of?
(c) Existence of self.
10. What is rational psychology?
(a) The study of the soul.
(b) The study of paranormal activity.
(c) The study of the universe.
(d) The study of metaphysics.
11. What did Kant say is a privileged place in perception?
(a) The future.
(b) The past.
(c) The present.
12. Whose philosophies did Kant revive in the distinction between practical and theoretical knowledge?
13. What type of truth is "Fido has brown spots"?
(b) A priori.
(d) A posteriori.
14. According to the ontological argument, why does God exist?
(a) Perfection only exists in one entity.
(b) A creator of the world must exist.
(c) Existence is a perfection.
(d) Existence warrants perfection.
15. What type of truth is one that is known before any experience?
(a) A priori.
(d) A posteriori.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is true about the statement "Fido has brown spots"?
2. What was a result of "Critique of Reason" being difficult to read?
3. According to Kant, what is essential to the development of an ethical theory?
4. When Kant attempted to use the unity of apperception to prove facts about the world, who admitted that these arguments were not generally philosophically sound?
5. Whose theories greatly influenced Kant's metaphysical system?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)