|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose theories greatly influenced Kant's metaphysical system?
(d) Isaac Newton.
2. When did Kant die?
3. What is the problem with Descartes' certain knowledge?
(a) It assumes that existence warrants thinking.
(b) It assumes that humans think.
(c) It assumes the existence of a self.
(d) It assumes that breathing warrants thinking.
4. What statement sums up Descartes' certain piece of knowledge?
(a) "I see, therefore I am."
(b) "I think, therefore I am."
(c) "I exist, therefore I am."
(d) "I live, therefore I am."
5. What did Kant study throughout his early academic career?
(b) A variety of disciplines.
6. What is considered to be Kant's most important work?
(a) "Critique of Pure Reason."
(b) "Critique of Judgment."
(c) "Critique of Practical Reason."
(d) "Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals."
7. What type of truth is "a square has four sides"?
8. What did Leibniz argue could allow us to know almost everything about the world?
9. What do phenomena represent?
(a) Real objects.
(b) Irrational beings.
(d) Rational beings.
10. What type of truth is something that is known only as the result of some experience?
(a) A priori.
(d) A posteriori.
11. According to Hume, what does all knowledge come through?
12. How was Kant influenced by Leibniz?
(a) He sided with Leibniz over Hume.
(b) He had so many disagreements with him.
(c) He agreed with him so much.
(d) He thought Leibniz was more intelligent than Hume.
13. What was described as being an object itself?
14. What type of truth is one that is known before any experience?
(c) A posteriori.
(d) A priori.
15. What did "Critique of Practical Reason" deal with?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the statements "Fido is on the couch" and "Fido is not on the couch" examples of?
2. What is the name of the university Kant attended?
3. What did Descartes argue was the first and most certain piece of knowledge?
4. Which of the following is true about Kant's time in school?
5. What did Kant compare the knowledge of a soul to?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)