|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson did Jesse learn growing up that Duncan did not have to learn?
2. Where does Duncan return to two days after Christmas in Part IV, Chapter 60?
3. What is the name of Jesse's Captain in the army?
4. What do the Union soldiers tell Marguerite's servants after besetting them on the road?
5. Which of Marguerite's servants is pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Union soldiers take when they stop Marguerite and her servants on the road as they leave Wilmington?
2. What do Marguerite's grown children tell the girl who has been interviewing her at the birthday party?
3. What does Silas tell his crew before he leaves to Richmond in Part IV, Chapter 57?
4. What happens to the young Union soldier who stumbles into the camp of Alexander and the other renegades in Part IV, Chapter 54?
5. While leading the A Company near Fairfax City, Virginia, what does the surgeon named Potts remind Jesse to have his men do?
6. What does Duncan tell Sallie happened when the Union and Confederate troops were camped very closely to each other in Part III, Chapter 39?
7. How do Jesse's men react after he reads them the Gettysburg Address?
8. What does Sallie realize about her Cousin Molly's attitude in Part IV, Chapter 50?
9. What happens to Jesse and the other black soldiers who are captured by the Confederates after a battle?
10. What does the girl that is interviewing Marguerite tell her she is getting continual pressure to do in Part III, Chapter 39?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cousin Molly is an interesting character in that she seems to be clinging to the past that no longer exists. She becomes very important in Sallie's life and therefore an important character in the story. Analyze the character of Cousin Molly and her effect on Sallie. How does Molly meet Sallie? Why does Molly want to help Sallie? How does Molly use her humor to help get Sallie to trust her? What kind of person is Molly? How does Molly become a lifeline for Sallie during her prison sentence?
Essay Topic 2
Duncan and Midge have a tumultuous relationship, which is a very important conflict in "Jacob's Ladder". Analyze Midge and Duncan's relationship and its overall effect on the story. Where are they from? How did they meet? What do they look like? How do they feel about each other? Do they trust each other?
Essay Topic 3
"Jacob's Ladder" is historical fiction which is a story that is set in the past. "Jacob's Ladder" is set in the Civil War in Virginia, and therefore, it is considered historical fiction. Examine the different historical references throughout "Jacob's Ladder". What makes "Jacob's Ladder" historical fiction? Does the author make a point of centering his story on actual events that happened during the Civil War? Does he use real places and dates? Does it make his story more believable? How does it enhance the story?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)