|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Alexander and the group of renegades in Part IV, Chapter 59?
2. What does Duncan never wear now that he has lost his arm?
3. What is the name of Silas's crew of blockade-runners?
4. How does Jesse feel about giving his money to the surgeon, who says he will put it into a savings account?
5. Which of Marguerite's servants is pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jesse take Duncan after getting him out of the Confederate prison?
2. What happens to Jesse and the other black soldiers who are captured by the Confederates after a battle?
3. What does Jesse learn that the surgeon name Potts has done that upsets him?
4. How does Catesby die after the battle in Spotsylvania?
5. After pulling over the Danzinger family's buggy, what do the renegades order Alexander to do after they question Seth about being a spy?
6. While leading the A Company near Fairfax City, Virginia, what does the surgeon named Potts remind Jesse to have his men do?
7. How does Marguerite take control of the situation when Mingo leaves Kizzy pregnant and distraught on the road out of Wilmington?
8. After telling his wife, Leona, in a letter that he has become a Christian, what does Catesby urge his wife, Leona, to do?
9. What happens when Duncan meets Confederate President Davis at an event he attends with Sallie?
10. While traveling on their way home from a prayer meeting, what does young Seth Danzinger talk about with Alexander?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duncan and Midge have a tumultuous relationship, which is a very important conflict in "Jacob's Ladder". Analyze Midge and Duncan's relationship and its overall effect on the story. Where are they from? How did they meet? What do they look like? How do they feel about each other? Do they trust each other?
Essay Topic 2
Miss Marguerite is the narrator and one of the main characters in "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War". Analyze the character of Miss Marguerite throughout her different name changes in her life: Midge, Maggie, and Marguerite. How did Marguerite change with each name? How does this influence the overall story? Where is Midge from, and where does she live? Who owns Midge? What is different about Midge's race from that of other slaves?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "Jacob's Ladder" there are families that grow, families that are torn apart, and families that stick together. Love is what binds these families together and the lack of love is often what tears them apart. Analyze the theme of family and love throughout the novel. How important is the theme of family in the novel? What examples from the book demonstrate how much Samuel's family means to him? What does family mean to Marguerite? Whom does she love?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)