|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part III, Chapter 37, who are washing the corpse of Uther Botkin?
2. In Part IV, Chapter 52, whom does Jesse and his company see coming down the road?
3. How does Silas describe the conditions in the Confederate Army?
4. On the way home from prayer meeting, whom is Alexander traveling with when their buggy is stopped by renegades?
5. What does Marguerite invite the girl that is interviewing her to at her home that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
2. How does Catesby die after the battle in Spotsylvania?
3. What does Duncan tell Sallie happened when the Union and Confederate troops were camped very closely to each other in Part III, Chapter 39?
4. What do Marguerite's grown children tell the girl who has been interviewing her at the birthday party?
5. After being captured, what does Alexander say when one of the officers asks him what happened to make him fall into this group?
6. After pulling over the Danzinger family's buggy, what do the renegades order Alexander to do after they question Seth about being a spy?
7. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
8. How do Jesse's men react after he reads them the Gettysburg Address?
9. Why have the renegades stopped the Danzinger family and Alexander's buggy in Part IV, Chapter 44?
10. What happens when Duncan meets Confederate President Davis at an event he attends with Sallie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alexander and Sallie are hastily married and they both have conflicting feelings about it. They are both important characters to the story. Examine Alexander and Sallie's relationship throughout the story. How did Alexander and Sallie meet? Is Sallie nervous about taking Alexander home to meet her family? Why? How does Alexander feel about being married compared to how Sallie feels? Why do Alexander and Sallie grow apart? Do they ever get a divorce?
Essay Topic 2
Marguerite and Silas's relationship has quickly changed and grown into something more. In fact, Silas treats Jacob, Marguerite's child, as if he were his own. Analyze Silas and Marguerite's relationship and discuss how it changes throughout the novel. How do Silas and Marguerite meet? How does Marguerite really feel about Silas? Is she just using him for money? How does Silas really feel about Marguerite? Why is Marguerite worried about having a child with Silas?
Essay Topic 3
Most of the characters in "Jacob's Ladder" have no idea what the war will do to their lives. Examine how the characters' first ideas of the war differ from the actual realities of the war. How do Duncan's fantasies really have nothing in common with the realities of war? How can someone's fantasy of something almost make the reality harder to bear? Is Alexander having a harder time dealing with his reality because of his preconceived notions of war?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)