|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday are Catesby and his fellow soldiers celebrating that they attend a prayer meeting?
2. What do Jesse's men call Abraham Lincoln?
3. What is the name of Catesby's bunkmate in Part III, Chapter 42?
4. Which of Marguerite's servants is pregnant?
5. At the beginning of Part III, Chapter 37, who are washing the corpse of Uther Botkin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the Appomattox Courthouse that Duncan and Thomas Byrd are present at in Part IV, Chapter 68?
2. What does Jesse learn that the surgeon name Potts has done that upsets him?
3. Why have the renegades stopped the Danzinger family and Alexander's buggy in Part IV, Chapter 44?
4. What happens when Duncan meets Confederate President Davis at an event he attends with Sallie?
5. How does Marguerite take control of the situation when Mingo leaves Kizzy pregnant and distraught on the road out of Wilmington?
6. What do the Union soldiers take when they stop Marguerite and her servants on the road as they leave Wilmington?
7. Where does Jesse take Duncan after getting him out of the Confederate prison?
8. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
9. After being captured, why are the black soldiers pleading with the Confederates to be released?
10. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alexander and Sallie are hastily married and they both have conflicting feelings about it. They are both important characters to the story. Examine Alexander and Sallie's relationship throughout the story. How did Alexander and Sallie meet? Is Sallie nervous about taking Alexander home to meet her family? Why? How does Alexander feel about being married compared to how Sallie feels? Why do Alexander and Sallie grow apart? Do they ever get a divorce?
Essay Topic 2
Cousin Molly is an interesting character in that she seems to be clinging to the past that no longer exists. She becomes very important in Sallie's life and therefore an important character in the story. Analyze the character of Cousin Molly and her effect on Sallie. How does Molly meet Sallie? Why does Molly want to help Sallie? How does Molly use her humor to help get Sallie to trust her? What kind of person is Molly? How does Molly become a lifeline for Sallie during her prison sentence?
Essay Topic 3
Description is the fiction-writing mode for creating a mental image of a story. Examine the use of description in "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War". How does the author graphically describe life in Virginia during slavery and the Civil War? How are the characters described? How does the author use dialogue, imagery, and even sentence structure to help describe?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)