|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Catesby's bunkmate in Part III, Chapter 42?
2. Duncan tells his sister about the Union and Confederate troops camping so near each other that the music from the Union camp could be heard clearly. What song do the Union musicians play at the Confederate troops' request?
3. What does the young Danzinger boy ask Alexander to do for him after it becomes evident the renegades are going to kill him?
4. Who stumbles into Alexander's camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
5. What does Jesse say that the "colored troops broke ranks" for when they see the man coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the army recruiter say that convinces Jesse to join the Union army?
2. What happens to the young Union soldier who stumbles into the camp of Alexander and the other renegades in Part IV, Chapter 54?
3. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
4. What does Sallie realize about her Cousin Molly's attitude in Part IV, Chapter 50?
5. Why have the renegades stopped the Danzinger family and Alexander's buggy in Part IV, Chapter 44?
6. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
7. How do Jesse's men react after he reads them the Gettysburg Address?
8. What do Marguerite's grown children tell the girl who has been interviewing her at the birthday party?
9. What happens when Duncan meets Confederate President Davis at an event he attends with Sallie?
10. How does Jesse describe Abraham Lincoln after he sees him coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part II, Chapter 26, Jesse and Rufus run away and learn that Abraham Lincoln has made the Emancipation Proclamation. Jesse and Rufus have no idea what they are taking about. Research the Emancipation Proclamation and examine how it affected the Civil War and slavery. How did it affect the outcome of the war? What did it entail? Why would Jesse or Rufus not know anything about it? When was it put into effect?
Essay Topic 2
Jesse is one of the main characters in "Jacob's Ladder" and is a slave of Samuel Gatewood's. He has been trying to find Maggie ever since she was sold. Analyze the character of Jesse and his importance in the story. Why does Jesse keep trying to run away? How is Jesse treated as a slave? How does Jesse feel about the war? What kind of person is Jesse? How has Jesse affected Maggie?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in "Jacob's Ladder" have an air of desperation about them and perform desperate acts. Examine the concept of desperation and discuss how it pertains to the characters in the novel. How could someone become desperate during times of war? What characters in the novel seem desperate at this point in the story? Who does not seem desperate? How can this desperation be brought on by some characters having to do uncharacteristic things?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)