|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catesby's daughter say her mother spends her time doing now that her father is dead?
2. Which of Marguerite's servants is pregnant?
3. Catesby writes a letter to his wife. Whom does he urge her to keep an eye on?
4. What do the Union soldiers take from Marguerite and her servants as they are preparing to leave the city?
5. After saying some things that Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington do not like, what does the recruiter say that gains Jesse's attention?
Short Essay Questions
1. After being captured, what does Alexander say when one of the officers asks him what happened to make him fall into this group?
2. What does the girl that is interviewing Marguerite tell her she is getting continual pressure to do in Part III, Chapter 39?
3. How does Jesse describe Abraham Lincoln after he sees him coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
4. What happens to the young Union soldier who stumbles into the camp of Alexander and the other renegades in Part IV, Chapter 54?
5. Where does Jesse take Duncan after getting him out of the Confederate prison?
6. What happens to Jesse and the other black soldiers who are captured by the Confederates after a battle?
7. After pulling over the Danzinger family's buggy, what do the renegades order Alexander to do after they question Seth about being a spy?
8. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
9. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
10. What does Jesse learn that the surgeon name Potts has done that upsets him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in "Jacob's Ladder" have an air of desperation about them and perform desperate acts. Examine the concept of desperation and discuss how it pertains to the characters in the novel. How could someone become desperate during times of war? What characters in the novel seem desperate at this point in the story? Who does not seem desperate? How can this desperation be brought on by some characters having to do uncharacteristic things?
Essay Topic 2
Marguerite and Silas's relationship has quickly changed and grown into something more. In fact, Silas treats Jacob, Marguerite's child, as if he were his own. Analyze Silas and Marguerite's relationship and discuss how it changes throughout the novel. How do Silas and Marguerite meet? How does Marguerite really feel about Silas? Is she just using him for money? How does Silas really feel about Marguerite? Why is Marguerite worried about having a child with Silas?
Essay Topic 3
Alexander and Sallie are hastily married and they both have conflicting feelings about it. They are both important characters to the story. Examine Alexander and Sallie's relationship throughout the story. How did Alexander and Sallie meet? Is Sallie nervous about taking Alexander home to meet her family? Why? How does Alexander feel about being married compared to how Sallie feels? Why do Alexander and Sallie grow apart? Do they ever get a divorce?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)