|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After saying some things that Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington do not like, what does the recruiter say that gains Jesse's attention?
2. Duncan tells his sister about the Union and Confederate troops camping so near each other that the music from the Union camp could be heard clearly. What song do the Union musicians play at the Confederate troops' request?
3. What does Catesby save from his holiday dinner to share with his bunkmate?
4. In Part IV, Chapter 52, whom does Jesse and his company see coming down the road?
5. While traveling home from prayer meeting, renegades stop Alexander's buggy. What do they tell the Danzinger boy who is traveling with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jesse and the other black soldiers who are captured by the Confederates after a battle?
2. How does Marguerite take control of the situation when Mingo leaves Kizzy pregnant and distraught on the road out of Wilmington?
3. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
4. What do Marguerite's grown children tell the girl who has been interviewing her at the birthday party?
5. What happens when Duncan meets Confederate President Davis at an event he attends with Sallie?
6. What does Duncan tell Sallie happened when the Union and Confederate troops were camped very closely to each other in Part III, Chapter 39?
7. After being captured, what does Alexander say when one of the officers asks him what happened to make him fall into this group?
8. Duncan runs into Midge, now Marguerite Omohundru, at an event, what do they talk about in their private conversation?
9. How does Jesse describe Abraham Lincoln after he sees him coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
10. After pulling over the Danzinger family's buggy, what do the renegades order Alexander to do after they question Seth about being a spy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cousin Molly is an interesting character in that she seems to be clinging to the past that no longer exists. She becomes very important in Sallie's life and therefore an important character in the story. Analyze the character of Cousin Molly and her effect on Sallie. How does Molly meet Sallie? Why does Molly want to help Sallie? How does Molly use her humor to help get Sallie to trust her? What kind of person is Molly? How does Molly become a lifeline for Sallie during her prison sentence?
Essay Topic 2
Most of the characters in "Jacob's Ladder" have no idea what the war will do to their lives. Examine how the characters' first ideas of the war differ from the actual realities of the war. How do Duncan's fantasies really have nothing in common with the realities of war? How can someone's fantasy of something almost make the reality harder to bear? Is Alexander having a harder time dealing with his reality because of his preconceived notions of war?
Essay Topic 3
"Jacob's Ladder" is historical fiction which is a story that is set in the past. "Jacob's Ladder" is set in the Civil War in Virginia, and therefore, it is considered historical fiction. Examine the different historical references throughout "Jacob's Ladder". What makes "Jacob's Ladder" historical fiction? Does the author make a point of centering his story on actual events that happened during the Civil War? Does he use real places and dates? Does it make his story more believable? How does it enhance the story?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)