Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catesby save from his holiday dinner to share with his bunkmate?
2. What does Duncan say will happen to the people of Virginia if the state falls?
3. What holiday are Catesby and his fellow soldiers celebrating that they attend a prayer meeting?
4. Where does Duncan return to two days after Christmas in Part IV, Chapter 60?
5. Where is Catesby involved in a terrible battle in Part IV, Chapter 47?
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in "Jacob's Ladder" have an air of desperation about them and perform desperate acts. Examine the concept of desperation and discuss how it pertains to the characters in the novel. How could someone become desperate during times of war? What characters in the novel seem desperate at this point in the story? Who does not seem desperate? How can this desperation be brought on by some characters having to do uncharacteristic things?
Essay Topic 2
Duncan and Midge have a tumultuous relationship, which is a very important conflict in "Jacob's Ladder". Analyze Midge and Duncan's relationship and its overall effect on the story. Where are they from? How did they meet? What do they look like? How do they feel about each other? Do they trust each other?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in "Jacob's Ladder" have been going through tremendous changes in their lives since the war has begun. Explore the theme of coming of age, and analyze the changes in the different characters.
Part A) What does coming of age mean?
Part B) How can a catastrophic event like the Civil War cause tremendous changes in people?
Part C) How have some of the characters ideals and goals changed? What have the characters learned about themselves and life?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)