|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesse think about the man that he sees coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
2. What is Alexander's explanation for why he is a member of the renegade group?
3. Which servant leaves Marguerite on the road after the incident with the Union soldiers?
4. Where does Duncan return to two days after Christmas in Part IV, Chapter 60?
5. Duncan is somewhat annoyed by the Confederate President at the event. What does he ask him?
Short Essay Questions
1. After being captured, why are the black soldiers pleading with the Confederates to be released?
2. After telling his wife, Leona, in a letter that he has become a Christian, what does Catesby urge his wife, Leona, to do?
3. How does Jesse describe Abraham Lincoln after he sees him coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
4. After pulling over the Danzinger family's buggy, what do the renegades order Alexander to do after they question Seth about being a spy?
5. What do Marguerite's grown children tell the girl who has been interviewing her at the birthday party?
6. What do the Union soldiers take when they stop Marguerite and her servants on the road as they leave Wilmington?
7. What does the army recruiter say that convinces Jesse to join the Union army?
8. What does Sallie realize about her Cousin Molly's attitude in Part IV, Chapter 50?
9. What happens to Jesse and the other black soldiers who are captured by the Confederates after a battle?
10. While leading the A Company near Fairfax City, Virginia, what does the surgeon named Potts remind Jesse to have his men do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Silas Omohundru has a certain view about how slaves should be treated that is comparable to Samuel Gatewood's view. Compare Silas Omohundru to Samuel Gatewood, analyzing how each treats slaves and each one's view on slavery in general. Who cares more about how slaves are actually treated in relation to their feelings? Does Samuel think of slaves as actual human beings with feelings? Why? How does Silas's treatment of his slaves compare to Samuel's?
Essay Topic 2
Marguerite tells many stories of several different characters throughout the story. This is a literary device that writers use called a story-within-a-story. Explore the author's use of the literary device story-within-a-story in the novel "Jacob's Ladder". Is the author using stories-within-a-story to give it a more historical feel? Or is the author using stories-within-a-story to give background about particular characters or events? How is this literary device effective in the novel "Jacob's Ladder"?
Essay Topic 3
The book, "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War", is set during the Civil War in the South. Several of the main characters are slaves, some characters are slave owners, and a few are even against slavery. Research and examine slavery before and during the Civil War. Where was slavery dominant in America? How were slaves treated? Was slavery the reason for the Civil War? How did slavery end? Did those for slavery accept the end of slavery right away?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)