|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Silas's crew of blockade-runners?
2. Whom does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife hesitate to visit but eventually goes to see in Part III, Chapter 39?
3. Where are Jesse and his company assigned to work in Part IV, Chapter 52?
4. What does Marguerite invite the girl that is interviewing her to at her home that night?
5. On the way home from prayer meeting, whom is Alexander traveling with when their buggy is stopped by renegades?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sallie realize about her Cousin Molly's attitude in Part IV, Chapter 50?
2. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
3. While leading the A Company near Fairfax City, Virginia, what does the surgeon named Potts remind Jesse to have his men do?
4. How does Marguerite take control of the situation when Mingo leaves Kizzy pregnant and distraught on the road out of Wilmington?
5. What does the army recruiter say that convinces Jesse to join the Union army?
6. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
7. Where does Jesse take Duncan after getting him out of the Confederate prison?
8. What does Silas tell his crew before he leaves to Richmond in Part IV, Chapter 57?
9. What happens to the young Union soldier who stumbles into the camp of Alexander and the other renegades in Part IV, Chapter 54?
10. How does Jesse describe Abraham Lincoln after he sees him coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The war has caused tremendous changes not only in the characters but also in society. Each character deals with these changes in a different way. Analyze the theme of change in the novel, particularly how it pertains to society. How have these changes affected the characters? What changes have been for the better? What changes have been for the worse? Does something as catastrophic as war need to happen to bring about great change?
Essay Topic 2
The book, "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War", is set during the Civil War in the South. Several of the main characters are slaves, some characters are slave owners, and a few are even against slavery. Research and examine slavery before and during the Civil War. Where was slavery dominant in America? How were slaves treated? Was slavery the reason for the Civil War? How did slavery end? Did those for slavery accept the end of slavery right away?
Essay Topic 3
Duncan and Midge have a tumultuous relationship, which is a very important conflict in "Jacob's Ladder". Analyze Midge and Duncan's relationship and its overall effect on the story. Where are they from? How did they meet? What do they look like? How do they feel about each other? Do they trust each other?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)