|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Duncan uncertain about marriage?
2. After saying some things that Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington do not like, what does the recruiter say that gains Jesse's attention?
3. Which servant leaves Marguerite on the road after the incident with the Union soldiers?
4. What are the names of Marguerite's servants, who were former slaves?
5. On the way home from prayer meeting, whom is Alexander traveling with when their buggy is stopped by renegades?
Short Essay Questions
1. While traveling on their way home from a prayer meeting, what does young Seth Danzinger talk about with Alexander?
2. What do the Union soldiers take when they stop Marguerite and her servants on the road as they leave Wilmington?
3. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
4. How does Jesse describe Abraham Lincoln after he sees him coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
5. Why have the renegades stopped the Danzinger family and Alexander's buggy in Part IV, Chapter 44?
6. What does Sallie realize about her Cousin Molly's attitude in Part IV, Chapter 50?
7. After telling his wife, Leona, in a letter that he has become a Christian, what does Catesby urge his wife, Leona, to do?
8. What happens at the Appomattox Courthouse that Duncan and Thomas Byrd are present at in Part IV, Chapter 68?
9. Duncan runs into Midge, now Marguerite Omohundru, at an event, what do they talk about in their private conversation?
10. What do the Union soldiers tell Kizzy and Mingo after stopping them on the road as they leave Wilmington?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "Jacob's Ladder" there are families that grow, families that are torn apart, and families that stick together. Love is what binds these families together and the lack of love is often what tears them apart. Analyze the theme of family and love throughout the novel. How important is the theme of family in the novel? What examples from the book demonstrate how much Samuel's family means to him? What does family mean to Marguerite? Whom does she love?
Essay Topic 2
The novel "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War", is a novel centered around the Civil War. Research and study the Civil War and how it began. How did the Civil War start? What state was the first to secede? What did the soldiers who were in the Civil War have to endure? Why did the Civil War start? How did the soldiers feel at the beginning of the Civil War? Who was the president during the Civil War, for both sides, Union and Confederate?
Essay Topic 3
Marguerite tells many stories of several different characters throughout the story. This is a literary device that writers use called a story-within-a-story. Explore the author's use of the literary device story-within-a-story in the novel "Jacob's Ladder". Is the author using stories-within-a-story to give it a more historical feel? Or is the author using stories-within-a-story to give background about particular characters or events? How is this literary device effective in the novel "Jacob's Ladder"?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)