|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the surgeon who reminds Jesse that he will put money into a savings account for any man that requests it?
2. Where does Duncan return to two days after Christmas in Part IV, Chapter 60?
3. What does a recruiter for the army say to Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington that they do not care for?
4. What does Marguerite think her children are going to try to get her to sell while they are visiting?
5. What does Silas warn Marguerite about before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the Appomattox Courthouse that Duncan and Thomas Byrd are present at in Part IV, Chapter 68?
2. What does Jesse learn that the surgeon name Potts has done that upsets him?
3. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
4. After telling his wife, Leona, in a letter that he has become a Christian, what does Catesby urge his wife, Leona, to do?
5. After being captured, what does Alexander say when one of the officers asks him what happened to make him fall into this group?
6. What happens when Duncan meets Confederate President Davis at an event he attends with Sallie?
7. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
8. What do Marguerite's grown children tell the girl who has been interviewing her at the birthday party?
9. While leading the A Company near Fairfax City, Virginia, what does the surgeon named Potts remind Jesse to have his men do?
10. What does the girl that is interviewing Marguerite tell her she is getting continual pressure to do in Part III, Chapter 39?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marguerite and Silas's relationship has quickly changed and grown into something more. In fact, Silas treats Jacob, Marguerite's child, as if he were his own. Analyze Silas and Marguerite's relationship and discuss how it changes throughout the novel. How do Silas and Marguerite meet? How does Marguerite really feel about Silas? Is she just using him for money? How does Silas really feel about Marguerite? Why is Marguerite worried about having a child with Silas?
Essay Topic 2
Cousin Molly is an interesting character in that she seems to be clinging to the past that no longer exists. She becomes very important in Sallie's life and therefore an important character in the story. Analyze the character of Cousin Molly and her effect on Sallie. How does Molly meet Sallie? Why does Molly want to help Sallie? How does Molly use her humor to help get Sallie to trust her? What kind of person is Molly? How does Molly become a lifeline for Sallie during her prison sentence?
Essay Topic 3
The book, "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War", is set during the Civil War in the South. Several of the main characters are slaves, some characters are slave owners, and a few are even against slavery. Research and examine slavery before and during the Civil War. Where was slavery dominant in America? How were slaves treated? Was slavery the reason for the Civil War? How did slavery end? Did those for slavery accept the end of slavery right away?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)