|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who agrees to marry Duncan while visiting his old home?
2. What is the name of Catesby's daughter?
3. What is the name of Duncan's childhood servant who used to light the fire in his room?
4. What is the name of the surgeon who cut off the head of a black soldier and autopsied it?
5. While traveling home from prayer meeting, renegades stop Alexander's buggy. What do they tell the Danzinger boy who is traveling with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the army recruiter say that convinces Jesse to join the Union army?
2. After being captured, why are the black soldiers pleading with the Confederates to be released?
3. What happens to the young Union soldier who stumbles into the camp of Alexander and the other renegades in Part IV, Chapter 54?
4. What does Duncan tell Sallie happened when the Union and Confederate troops were camped very closely to each other in Part III, Chapter 39?
5. What do the Union soldiers take when they stop Marguerite and her servants on the road as they leave Wilmington?
6. What happens at the Appomattox Courthouse that Duncan and Thomas Byrd are present at in Part IV, Chapter 68?
7. How does Jesse describe Abraham Lincoln after he sees him coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
8. How does Marguerite take control of the situation when Mingo leaves Kizzy pregnant and distraught on the road out of Wilmington?
9. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
10. Why have the renegades stopped the Danzinger family and Alexander's buggy in Part IV, Chapter 44?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War", is a novel centered around the Civil War. Research and study the Civil War and how it began. How did the Civil War start? What state was the first to secede? What did the soldiers who were in the Civil War have to endure? Why did the Civil War start? How did the soldiers feel at the beginning of the Civil War? Who was the president during the Civil War, for both sides, Union and Confederate?
Essay Topic 2
Miss Marguerite is the narrator and one of the main characters in "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War". Analyze the character of Miss Marguerite throughout her different name changes in her life: Midge, Maggie, and Marguerite. How did Marguerite change with each name? How does this influence the overall story? Where is Midge from, and where does she live? Who owns Midge? What is different about Midge's race from that of other slaves?
Essay Topic 3
Marguerite and Silas's relationship has quickly changed and grown into something more. In fact, Silas treats Jacob, Marguerite's child, as if he were his own. Analyze Silas and Marguerite's relationship and discuss how it changes throughout the novel. How do Silas and Marguerite meet? How does Marguerite really feel about Silas? Is she just using him for money? How does Silas really feel about Marguerite? Why is Marguerite worried about having a child with Silas?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)