|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Silas killed?
2. Catesby writes a letter to his wife. Whom does he urge her to keep an eye on?
3. What does the young Danzinger boy ask Alexander to do for him after it becomes evident the renegades are going to kill him?
4. After saying some things that Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington do not like, what does the recruiter say that gains Jesse's attention?
5. How does Silas describe the conditions in the Confederate Army?
Short Essay Questions
1. After being captured, what does Alexander say when one of the officers asks him what happened to make him fall into this group?
2. How does Catesby die after the battle in Spotsylvania?
3. What does Sallie realize about her Cousin Molly's attitude in Part IV, Chapter 50?
4. What do Marguerite's grown children tell the girl who has been interviewing her at the birthday party?
5. How do Jesse's men react after he reads them the Gettysburg Address?
6. Where does Jesse take Duncan after getting him out of the Confederate prison?
7. Duncan runs into Midge, now Marguerite Omohundru, at an event, what do they talk about in their private conversation?
8. After being captured, why are the black soldiers pleading with the Confederates to be released?
9. What does the girl that is interviewing Marguerite tell her she is getting continual pressure to do in Part III, Chapter 39?
10. Why have the renegades stopped the Danzinger family and Alexander's buggy in Part IV, Chapter 44?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part II, Chapter 26, Jesse and Rufus run away and learn that Abraham Lincoln has made the Emancipation Proclamation. Jesse and Rufus have no idea what they are taking about. Research the Emancipation Proclamation and examine how it affected the Civil War and slavery. How did it affect the outcome of the war? What did it entail? Why would Jesse or Rufus not know anything about it? When was it put into effect?
Essay Topic 2
The book, "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War", is set during the Civil War in the South. Several of the main characters are slaves, some characters are slave owners, and a few are even against slavery. Research and examine slavery before and during the Civil War. Where was slavery dominant in America? How were slaves treated? Was slavery the reason for the Civil War? How did slavery end? Did those for slavery accept the end of slavery right away?
Essay Topic 3
Miss Marguerite is the narrator and one of the main characters in "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War". Analyze the character of Miss Marguerite throughout her different name changes in her life: Midge, Maggie, and Marguerite. How did Marguerite change with each name? How does this influence the overall story? Where is Midge from, and where does she live? Who owns Midge? What is different about Midge's race from that of other slaves?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)