|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catesby say to a fellow soldier right before he dies?
2. What birthday is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife nearing in Part IV, Chapter 50?
3. What is the name of Silas's crew of blockade-runners?
4. After finally leaving the hospital, what Confederate President do Duncan and his sister meet at an event?
5. What does Marguerite demand from the bank after she notices Silas's invoices were not filed correctly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jesse describe Abraham Lincoln after he sees him coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
2. What does Jesse learn that the surgeon name Potts has done that upsets him?
3. While traveling on their way home from a prayer meeting, what does young Seth Danzinger talk about with Alexander?
4. After being captured, what does Alexander say when one of the officers asks him what happened to make him fall into this group?
5. What do the Union soldiers take when they stop Marguerite and her servants on the road as they leave Wilmington?
6. What does Duncan tell Sallie happened when the Union and Confederate troops were camped very closely to each other in Part III, Chapter 39?
7. What does the army recruiter say that convinces Jesse to join the Union army?
8. What do Marguerite's grown children tell the girl who has been interviewing her at the birthday party?
9. After pulling over the Danzinger family's buggy, what do the renegades order Alexander to do after they question Seth about being a spy?
10. What happens when Duncan meets Confederate President Davis at an event he attends with Sallie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marguerite and Silas's relationship has quickly changed and grown into something more. In fact, Silas treats Jacob, Marguerite's child, as if he were his own. Analyze Silas and Marguerite's relationship and discuss how it changes throughout the novel. How do Silas and Marguerite meet? How does Marguerite really feel about Silas? Is she just using him for money? How does Silas really feel about Marguerite? Why is Marguerite worried about having a child with Silas?
Essay Topic 2
Jesse is one of the main characters in "Jacob's Ladder" and is a slave of Samuel Gatewood's. He has been trying to find Maggie ever since she was sold. Analyze the character of Jesse and his importance in the story. Why does Jesse keep trying to run away? How is Jesse treated as a slave? How does Jesse feel about the war? What kind of person is Jesse? How has Jesse affected Maggie?
Essay Topic 3
Description is the fiction-writing mode for creating a mental image of a story. Examine the use of description in "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War". How does the author graphically describe life in Virginia during slavery and the Civil War? How are the characters described? How does the author use dialogue, imagery, and even sentence structure to help describe?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)