|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Confederate President's answer to Duncan's question at the event?
2. At the beginning of Part III, Chapter 37, who are washing the corpse of Uther Botkin?
3. After saying some things that Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington do not like, what does the recruiter say that gains Jesse's attention?
4. Why is Catesby's son not a help to his family?
5. Whom does Duncan see at an event he attends that he manages a private conversation with in Part III, Chapter 43?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jesse's men react after he reads them the Gettysburg Address?
2. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
3. Where does Jesse take Duncan after getting him out of the Confederate prison?
4. What happens to Jesse and the other black soldiers who are captured by the Confederates after a battle?
5. What do the Union soldiers take when they stop Marguerite and her servants on the road as they leave Wilmington?
6. Why have the renegades stopped the Danzinger family and Alexander's buggy in Part IV, Chapter 44?
7. What does the girl that is interviewing Marguerite tell her she is getting continual pressure to do in Part III, Chapter 39?
8. What happens to the young Union soldier who stumbles into the camp of Alexander and the other renegades in Part IV, Chapter 54?
9. What happens when Duncan meets Confederate President Davis at an event he attends with Sallie?
10. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book, "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War", is set during the Civil War in the South. Several of the main characters are slaves, some characters are slave owners, and a few are even against slavery. Research and examine slavery before and during the Civil War. Where was slavery dominant in America? How were slaves treated? Was slavery the reason for the Civil War? How did slavery end? Did those for slavery accept the end of slavery right away?
Essay Topic 2
Most of the characters in "Jacob's Ladder" have no idea what the war will do to their lives. Examine how the characters' first ideas of the war differ from the actual realities of the war. How do Duncan's fantasies really have nothing in common with the realities of war? How can someone's fantasy of something almost make the reality harder to bear? Is Alexander having a harder time dealing with his reality because of his preconceived notions of war?
Essay Topic 3
Cousin Molly is an interesting character in that she seems to be clinging to the past that no longer exists. She becomes very important in Sallie's life and therefore an important character in the story. Analyze the character of Cousin Molly and her effect on Sallie. How does Molly meet Sallie? Why does Molly want to help Sallie? How does Molly use her humor to help get Sallie to trust her? What kind of person is Molly? How does Molly become a lifeline for Sallie during her prison sentence?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)