|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Catesby become now that he has "renounced his previous sinful ways"?
2. The work Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife does at the hospital is trying until she realizes the truth of her cousin's attitude. What does she realize?
3. After saying some things that Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington do not like, what does the recruiter say that gains Jesse's attention?
4. What does Duncan never wear now that he has lost his arm?
5. How old is the newspaper that Jesse reads to his men about the Gettysburg Address?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Union soldiers take when they stop Marguerite and her servants on the road as they leave Wilmington?
2. After telling his wife, Leona, in a letter that he has become a Christian, what does Catesby urge his wife, Leona, to do?
3. What happens when Duncan meets Confederate President Davis at an event he attends with Sallie?
4. What do the Union soldiers tell Kizzy and Mingo after stopping them on the road as they leave Wilmington?
5. After being captured, why are the black soldiers pleading with the Confederates to be released?
6. What does Silas tell his crew before he leaves to Richmond in Part IV, Chapter 57?
7. How does Catesby die after the battle in Spotsylvania?
8. After being captured, what does Alexander say when one of the officers asks him what happened to make him fall into this group?
9. After pulling over the Danzinger family's buggy, what do the renegades order Alexander to do after they question Seth about being a spy?
10. What does the girl that is interviewing Marguerite tell her she is getting continual pressure to do in Part III, Chapter 39?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "Jacob's Ladder" there are families that grow, families that are torn apart, and families that stick together. Love is what binds these families together and the lack of love is often what tears them apart. Analyze the theme of family and love throughout the novel. How important is the theme of family in the novel? What examples from the book demonstrate how much Samuel's family means to him? What does family mean to Marguerite? Whom does she love?
Essay Topic 2
Marguerite and Silas's relationship has quickly changed and grown into something more. In fact, Silas treats Jacob, Marguerite's child, as if he were his own. Analyze Silas and Marguerite's relationship and discuss how it changes throughout the novel. How do Silas and Marguerite meet? How does Marguerite really feel about Silas? Is she just using him for money? How does Silas really feel about Marguerite? Why is Marguerite worried about having a child with Silas?
Essay Topic 3
The book, "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War", is set during the Civil War in the South. Several of the main characters are slaves, some characters are slave owners, and a few are even against slavery. Research and examine slavery before and during the Civil War. Where was slavery dominant in America? How were slaves treated? Was slavery the reason for the Civil War? How did slavery end? Did those for slavery accept the end of slavery right away?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)