|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marguerite demand from the bank after she notices Silas's invoices were not filed correctly?
2. At the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 51, what are Abigail and Opal planting at the plantation?
3. What does the young Danzinger boy ask Alexander to do for him after it becomes evident the renegades are going to kill him?
4. What does Marguerite think her children are going to try to get her to sell while they are visiting?
5. How does Jesse feel about giving his money to the surgeon, who says he will put it into a savings account?
Short Essay Questions
1. Duncan runs into Midge, now Marguerite Omohundru, at an event, what do they talk about in their private conversation?
2. After being captured, why are the black soldiers pleading with the Confederates to be released?
3. What does the girl that is interviewing Marguerite tell her she is getting continual pressure to do in Part III, Chapter 39?
4. What happens at the Appomattox Courthouse that Duncan and Thomas Byrd are present at in Part IV, Chapter 68?
5. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
6. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
7. How does Catesby die after the battle in Spotsylvania?
8. While traveling on their way home from a prayer meeting, what does young Seth Danzinger talk about with Alexander?
9. What does Sallie realize about her Cousin Molly's attitude in Part IV, Chapter 50?
10. What happens when Duncan meets Confederate President Davis at an event he attends with Sallie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the characters in "Jacob's Ladder" have no idea what the war will do to their lives. Examine how the characters' first ideas of the war differ from the actual realities of the war. How do Duncan's fantasies really have nothing in common with the realities of war? How can someone's fantasy of something almost make the reality harder to bear? Is Alexander having a harder time dealing with his reality because of his preconceived notions of war?
Essay Topic 2
In Part II, Chapter 26, Jesse and Rufus run away and learn that Abraham Lincoln has made the Emancipation Proclamation. Jesse and Rufus have no idea what they are taking about. Research the Emancipation Proclamation and examine how it affected the Civil War and slavery. How did it affect the outcome of the war? What did it entail? Why would Jesse or Rufus not know anything about it? When was it put into effect?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in "Jacob's Ladder" have an air of desperation about them and perform desperate acts. Examine the concept of desperation and discuss how it pertains to the characters in the novel. How could someone become desperate during times of war? What characters in the novel seem desperate at this point in the story? Who does not seem desperate? How can this desperation be brought on by some characters having to do uncharacteristic things?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)