|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What arrives on the train that has the men disappointed that they draw lots for?
2. Where is Duncan staying at the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 60?
3. What is the name of Silas's ship that he is awaiting the arrival of in Part IV, Chapter 53?
4. Where are Marguerite and her servants preparing to leave when they are beset by Union soldiers on the road?
5. While awaiting the arrival of his ship, why has Silas begun to be angry about Marguerite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Jacob's Ladder", at some point each character deals with having to decide what is honorable. Explore the theme of honor in the novel and discuss how it relates to the different characters. How important is it for the characters not to lose their honor during war? Why is being honorable important? Is Alexander as honorable as Duncan is? Where in the text does Catesby show that he is honorable?
Essay Topic 2
The war has caused tremendous changes not only in the characters but also in society. Each character deals with these changes in a different way. Analyze the theme of change in the novel, particularly how it pertains to society. How have these changes affected the characters? What changes have been for the better? What changes have been for the worse? Does something as catastrophic as war need to happen to bring about great change?
Essay Topic 3
Description is the fiction-writing mode for creating a mental image of a story. Examine the use of description in "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War". How does the author graphically describe life in Virginia during slavery and the Civil War? How are the characters described? How does the author use dialogue, imagery, and even sentence structure to help describe?
This section contains 1,733 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)