|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jesse's Captain in the army?
2. What does Jesse say that the "colored troops broke ranks" for when they see the man coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
3. What birthday is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife nearing in Part IV, Chapter 50?
4. Who has died in Part IV, Chapter 60, that the grandmother continually prayers about?
5. In Part IV, Chapter 52, whom does Jesse and his company see coming down the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Union soldiers take when they stop Marguerite and her servants on the road as they leave Wilmington?
2. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
3. Duncan runs into Midge, now Marguerite Omohundru, at an event, what do they talk about in their private conversation?
4. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
5. What happens at the Appomattox Courthouse that Duncan and Thomas Byrd are present at in Part IV, Chapter 68?
6. What does Sallie realize about her Cousin Molly's attitude in Part IV, Chapter 50?
7. Why have the renegades stopped the Danzinger family and Alexander's buggy in Part IV, Chapter 44?
8. How does Marguerite take control of the situation when Mingo leaves Kizzy pregnant and distraught on the road out of Wilmington?
9. What does Jesse learn that the surgeon name Potts has done that upsets him?
10. What happens to the young Union soldier who stumbles into the camp of Alexander and the other renegades in Part IV, Chapter 54?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cousin Molly is an interesting character in that she seems to be clinging to the past that no longer exists. She becomes very important in Sallie's life and therefore an important character in the story. Analyze the character of Cousin Molly and her effect on Sallie. How does Molly meet Sallie? Why does Molly want to help Sallie? How does Molly use her humor to help get Sallie to trust her? What kind of person is Molly? How does Molly become a lifeline for Sallie during her prison sentence?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in "Jacob's Ladder" have an air of desperation about them and perform desperate acts. Examine the concept of desperation and discuss how it pertains to the characters in the novel. How could someone become desperate during times of war? What characters in the novel seem desperate at this point in the story? Who does not seem desperate? How can this desperation be brought on by some characters having to do uncharacteristic things?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "Jacob's Ladder" there are families that grow, families that are torn apart, and families that stick together. Love is what binds these families together and the lack of love is often what tears them apart. Analyze the theme of family and love throughout the novel. How important is the theme of family in the novel? What examples from the book demonstrate how much Samuel's family means to him? What does family mean to Marguerite? Whom does she love?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)