|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Silas promise to Marguerite before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
2. Who shoots the young Danzinger boy?
3. How does Jesse feel about giving his money to the surgeon, who says he will put it into a savings account?
4. While awaiting the arrival of his ship, why has Silas begun to be angry about Marguerite?
5. Whom does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife hesitate to visit but eventually goes to see in Part III, Chapter 39?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jesse and the other black soldiers who are captured by the Confederates after a battle?
2. What does Duncan tell Sallie happened when the Union and Confederate troops were camped very closely to each other in Part III, Chapter 39?
3. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
4. What does the army recruiter say that convinces Jesse to join the Union army?
5. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
6. What does Silas tell his crew before he leaves to Richmond in Part IV, Chapter 57?
7. Where does Jesse take Duncan after getting him out of the Confederate prison?
8. What does Jesse learn that the surgeon name Potts has done that upsets him?
9. How does Marguerite take control of the situation when Mingo leaves Kizzy pregnant and distraught on the road out of Wilmington?
10. What happens when Duncan meets Confederate President Davis at an event he attends with Sallie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marguerite and Silas's relationship has quickly changed and grown into something more. In fact, Silas treats Jacob, Marguerite's child, as if he were his own. Analyze Silas and Marguerite's relationship and discuss how it changes throughout the novel. How do Silas and Marguerite meet? How does Marguerite really feel about Silas? Is she just using him for money? How does Silas really feel about Marguerite? Why is Marguerite worried about having a child with Silas?
Essay Topic 2
Duncan and Midge have a tumultuous relationship, which is a very important conflict in "Jacob's Ladder". Analyze Midge and Duncan's relationship and its overall effect on the story. Where are they from? How did they meet? What do they look like? How do they feel about each other? Do they trust each other?
Essay Topic 3
Miss Marguerite is the narrator and one of the main characters in "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War". Analyze the character of Miss Marguerite throughout her different name changes in her life: Midge, Maggie, and Marguerite. How did Marguerite change with each name? How does this influence the overall story? Where is Midge from, and where does she live? Who owns Midge? What is different about Midge's race from that of other slaves?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)