|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. When does the story take place?
2. Whose custody is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife released into in Part II, Chapter 23?
3. After his essay in Part I, Chapter 13, whom does Samuel Gatewood try to convince to stop running away?
4. To whom is Alexander Kirkpatrick married?
5. Why is Samuel Gatewood's slave trying to run away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Alexander called into the office of the acting keeping at the penitentiary in Part II, Chapter 18?
2. What does Sallie pray for while working at the hospital in Part III, Chapter 30?
3. What happens the third time that Jesse tries to run away from the Stratford Plantation?
4. What happens to Duncan's horse, Gypsy, during the battle in Chancellorsville?
5. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
6. How is Alexander assigned to Duncan's regiment?
7. What does Abigail's Cousin Molly bring Sallie when she comes to visit her in jail?
8. Why is the woman at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 1, traveling the countryside?
9. What does Catesby lose after playing cards in Part I, Chapter 11?
10. What happens at the military institute, where Duncan is present to hear a speech, which causes a fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jesse is one of the main characters in "Jacob's Ladder" and is a slave of Samuel Gatewood's. He has been trying to find Maggie ever since she was sold. Analyze the character of Jesse and his importance in the story. Why does Jesse keep trying to run away? How is Jesse treated as a slave? How does Jesse feel about the war? What kind of person is Jesse? How has Jesse affected Maggie?
Essay Topic 2
Alexander and Sallie are hastily married and they both have conflicting feelings about it. They are both important characters to the story. Examine Alexander and Sallie's relationship throughout the story. How did Alexander and Sallie meet? Is Sallie nervous about taking Alexander home to meet her family? Why? How does Alexander feel about being married compared to how Sallie feels? Why do Alexander and Sallie grow apart? Do they ever get a divorce?
Essay Topic 3
The novel "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War", is a novel centered around the Civil War. Research and study the Civil War and how it began. How did the Civil War start? What state was the first to secede? What did the soldiers who were in the Civil War have to endure? Why did the Civil War start? How did the soldiers feel at the beginning of the Civil War? Who was the president during the Civil War, for both sides, Union and Confederate?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)