|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose custody is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife released into in Part II, Chapter 23?
2. After his essay in Part I, Chapter 13, whom does Samuel Gatewood try to convince to stop running away?
3. What happens to Duncan's horse during a battle in Chancellorsville, Virginia?
4. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife tell a young solider who asks if he is going to die?
5. Who accompanies Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to the jail after they are sentenced?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jesse keep trying to run away from the Stratford Plantation?
2. Why is Alexander called into the office of the acting keeping at the penitentiary in Part II, Chapter 18?
3. What incident does Miss Marguerite begin with when telling her story to the young woman in Part I, Chapter 1?
4. What happens at the military institute, where Duncan is present to hear a speech, which causes a fight?
5. What happens to Duncan's horse, Gypsy, during the battle in Chancellorsville?
6. What does Catesby write to his wife Leona about from Camp Bartow, Virginia?
7. What is Jesse's new job in Part III, Chapter 31, at the hospital?
8. In Part III, Chapter 28, how does Maggie, now known as Marguerite, feel about her life with Silas?
9. What does a superior officer say to Duncan and his fellow cadets after they rush to get their weapons and regain their honor when the Union cadets pick a fight with them?
10. How does Opal help Uther Botkin with his daughter and his farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alexander and Sallie are hastily married and they both have conflicting feelings about it. They are both important characters to the story. Examine Alexander and Sallie's relationship throughout the story. How did Alexander and Sallie meet? Is Sallie nervous about taking Alexander home to meet her family? Why? How does Alexander feel about being married compared to how Sallie feels? Why do Alexander and Sallie grow apart? Do they ever get a divorce?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "Jacob's Ladder" there are families that grow, families that are torn apart, and families that stick together. Love is what binds these families together and the lack of love is often what tears them apart. Analyze the theme of family and love throughout the novel. How important is the theme of family in the novel? What examples from the book demonstrate how much Samuel's family means to him? What does family mean to Marguerite? Whom does she love?
Essay Topic 3
The war has caused tremendous changes not only in the characters but also in society. Each character deals with these changes in a different way. Analyze the theme of change in the novel, particularly how it pertains to society. How have these changes affected the characters? What changes have been for the better? What changes have been for the worse? Does something as catastrophic as war need to happen to bring about great change?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)