|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the camp that Catesby sends his wife a letter from in Part II, Chapter 14?
2. Who harbors a runaway slave in Part I, Chapter 7?
3. Where does Alexander arrive in Part III, Chapter 29, just before a big fight?
4. What happens to Alexander after he demands to be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
5. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife pray for because it sometimes slows the number of wounded arriving at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does one of the surgeons, James Lane, ask that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
2. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
3. What happens to Duncan's horse, Gypsy, during the battle in Chancellorsville?
4. What happens at the military institute, where Duncan is present to hear a speech, which causes a fight?
5. While Sallie is working at the hospital, what does a young soldier ask Sallie to do for him?
6. How do Rufus and Jesse escape Stratford Plantation?
7. What incident does Miss Marguerite begin with when telling her story to the young woman in Part I, Chapter 1?
8. While attending church, what does Opal beg Jack to do for her?
9. What does Catesby lose after playing cards in Part I, Chapter 11?
10. Why does Jesse keep trying to run away from the Stratford Plantation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in "Jacob's Ladder" have an air of desperation about them and perform desperate acts. Examine the concept of desperation and discuss how it pertains to the characters in the novel. How could someone become desperate during times of war? What characters in the novel seem desperate at this point in the story? Who does not seem desperate? How can this desperation be brought on by some characters having to do uncharacteristic things?
Essay Topic 2
Miss Marguerite is the narrator and one of the main characters in "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War". Analyze the character of Miss Marguerite throughout her different name changes in her life: Midge, Maggie, and Marguerite. How did Marguerite change with each name? How does this influence the overall story? Where is Midge from, and where does she live? Who owns Midge? What is different about Midge's race from that of other slaves?
Essay Topic 3
Most of the characters in "Jacob's Ladder" have no idea what the war will do to their lives. Examine how the characters' first ideas of the war differ from the actual realities of the war. How do Duncan's fantasies really have nothing in common with the realities of war? How can someone's fantasy of something almost make the reality harder to bear? Is Alexander having a harder time dealing with his reality because of his preconceived notions of war?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)