|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catesby plays cards with Samuel Gatewood's son and some other young men. What does he lose?
2. Where is Marguerite living in Part III, Chapter 28?
3. The woman traveling the countryside meets up with a woman named Miss Marguerite. What story does she begin telling her?
4. Where is the penitentiary that Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife are being sent to?
5. What are the names of Samuel Gatewood's children?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Sallie is working at the hospital, what does a young soldier ask Sallie to do for him?
2. Why did Sallie marry Alexander Kirkpatrick in a hasty marriage?
3. What was Miss Marguerite's name in 1857?
4. While attending church, what does Opal beg Jack to do for her?
5. In Part III, Chapter 28, how does Maggie, now known as Marguerite, feel about her life with Silas?
6. Why does one of the surgeons, James Lane, ask that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
7. What does Sallie pray for while working at the hospital in Part III, Chapter 30?
8. What does a superior officer say to Duncan and his fellow cadets after they rush to get their weapons and regain their honor when the Union cadets pick a fight with them?
9. Why does Jesse keep trying to run away from the Stratford Plantation?
10. What happens to Alexander during his first time in battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Duncan and Midge have a tumultuous relationship, which is a very important conflict in "Jacob's Ladder". Analyze Midge and Duncan's relationship and its overall effect on the story. Where are they from? How did they meet? What do they look like? How do they feel about each other? Do they trust each other?
Essay Topic 2
Marguerite and Silas's relationship has quickly changed and grown into something more. In fact, Silas treats Jacob, Marguerite's child, as if he were his own. Analyze Silas and Marguerite's relationship and discuss how it changes throughout the novel. How do Silas and Marguerite meet? How does Marguerite really feel about Silas? Is she just using him for money? How does Silas really feel about Marguerite? Why is Marguerite worried about having a child with Silas?
Essay Topic 3
In Part II, Chapter 26, Jesse and Rufus run away and learn that Abraham Lincoln has made the Emancipation Proclamation. Jesse and Rufus have no idea what they are taking about. Research the Emancipation Proclamation and examine how it affected the Civil War and slavery. How did it affect the outcome of the war? What did it entail? Why would Jesse or Rufus not know anything about it? When was it put into effect?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)