Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Samuel Gatewood's wife?
2. Why does Alexander demand that he be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
3. What is the name of the family that Alexander works for food and stays with in Part III, Chapter 35?
4. What does Alexander tell Samuel Gatewood's son he claimed so he could be assigned to his regiment?
5. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jesse's men react after he reads them the Gettysburg Address?
2. How does Marguerite take control of the situation when Mingo leaves Kizzy pregnant and distraught on the road out of Wilmington?
3. What happens when Duncan meets Confederate President Davis at an event he attends with Sallie?
4. After being captured, why are the black soldiers pleading with the Confederates to be released?
5. What does the army recruiter say that convinces Jesse to join the Union army?
6. In Part III, Chapter 28, how does Maggie, now known as Marguerite, feel about her life with Silas?
7. Why is Alexander called into the office of the acting keeping at the penitentiary in Part II, Chapter 18?
8. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
9. How did Uther Botkin obtain his property that he now lives on?
10. What incident does Miss Marguerite begin with when telling her story to the young woman in Part I, Chapter 1?
Essay Topic 1
Marguerite and Silas's relationship has quickly changed and grown into something more. In fact, Silas treats Jacob, Marguerite's child, as if he were his own. Analyze Silas and Marguerite's relationship and discuss how it changes throughout the novel. How do Silas and Marguerite meet? How does Marguerite really feel about Silas? Is she just using him for money? How does Silas really feel about Marguerite? Why is Marguerite worried about having a child with Silas?
Essay Topic 2
Miss Marguerite is the narrator and one of the main characters in "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War". Analyze the character of Miss Marguerite throughout her different name changes in her life: Midge, Maggie, and Marguerite. How did Marguerite change with each name? How does this influence the overall story? Where is Midge from, and where does she live? Who owns Midge? What is different about Midge's race from that of other slaves?
Essay Topic 3
Silas Omohundru has a certain view about how slaves should be treated that is comparable to Samuel Gatewood's view. Compare Silas Omohundru to Samuel Gatewood, analyzing how each treats slaves and each one's view on slavery in general. Who cares more about how slaves are actually treated in relation to their feelings? Does Samuel think of slaves as actual human beings with feelings? Why? How does Silas's treatment of his slaves compare to Samuel's?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)