|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alexander arrive in Part III, Chapter 29, just before a big fight?
2. Whom does Samuel Gatewood purchase from Uther Botkin?
3. What do some of Samuel's slaves offer to help Uther Botkin's slave with?
4. What do Samuel Gatewood's son and his friends do after some Union cadets rush them after listening to a speech at the military institute?
5. After attending church in Part I, Chapter 9, who begs Jack to put in a good word with Samuel Gatewood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Alexander called into the office of the acting keeping at the penitentiary in Part II, Chapter 18?
2. What is Jesse's new job in Part III, Chapter 31, at the hospital?
3. Why did Sallie marry Alexander Kirkpatrick in a hasty marriage?
4. How do Rufus and Jesse escape Stratford Plantation?
5. What does Catesby lose after playing cards in Part I, Chapter 11?
6. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
7. Why does one of the surgeons, James Lane, ask that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
8. Why does Jesse keep trying to run away from the Stratford Plantation?
9. What does the judge sentence Sallie and Alexander to for being abolitionists?
10. What does Silas do to Ellam when he learns of his treatment of Maggie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marguerite tells many stories of several different characters throughout the story. This is a literary device that writers use called a story-within-a-story. Explore the author's use of the literary device story-within-a-story in the novel "Jacob's Ladder". Is the author using stories-within-a-story to give it a more historical feel? Or is the author using stories-within-a-story to give background about particular characters or events? How is this literary device effective in the novel "Jacob's Ladder"?
Essay Topic 2
Alexander and Sallie are hastily married and they both have conflicting feelings about it. They are both important characters to the story. Examine Alexander and Sallie's relationship throughout the story. How did Alexander and Sallie meet? Is Sallie nervous about taking Alexander home to meet her family? Why? How does Alexander feel about being married compared to how Sallie feels? Why do Alexander and Sallie grow apart? Do they ever get a divorce?
Essay Topic 3
The novel "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War", is a novel centered around the Civil War. Research and study the Civil War and how it began. How did the Civil War start? What state was the first to secede? What did the soldiers who were in the Civil War have to endure? Why did the Civil War start? How did the soldiers feel at the beginning of the Civil War? Who was the president during the Civil War, for both sides, Union and Confederate?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)