|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alexander quickly set up as in his new regiment because of his education and ability?
2. What do some of Samuel's slaves offer to help Uther Botkin's slave with?
3. What does Catesby and a fellow soldier do when a Union soldier stumbles into their camp?
4. In the letter that he writes from camp, where does Catesby urge his wife to stay?
5. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Duncan during the big battle at McDowell?
2. Why is the woman at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 1, traveling the countryside?
3. While attending church, what does Opal beg Jack to do for her?
4. What does Catesby lose after playing cards in Part I, Chapter 11?
5. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
6. How do Rufus and Jesse escape Stratford Plantation?
7. Why does Jesse keep trying to run away from the Stratford Plantation?
8. While Sallie is working at the hospital, what does a young soldier ask Sallie to do for him?
9. What happens at the military institute, where Duncan is present to hear a speech, which causes a fight?
10. What happens to Uther Botkin's wife, Martha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part II, Chapter 26, Jesse and Rufus run away and learn that Abraham Lincoln has made the Emancipation Proclamation. Jesse and Rufus have no idea what they are taking about. Research the Emancipation Proclamation and examine how it affected the Civil War and slavery. How did it affect the outcome of the war? What did it entail? Why would Jesse or Rufus not know anything about it? When was it put into effect?
Essay Topic 2
Marguerite and Silas's relationship has quickly changed and grown into something more. In fact, Silas treats Jacob, Marguerite's child, as if he were his own. Analyze Silas and Marguerite's relationship and discuss how it changes throughout the novel. How do Silas and Marguerite meet? How does Marguerite really feel about Silas? Is she just using him for money? How does Silas really feel about Marguerite? Why is Marguerite worried about having a child with Silas?
Essay Topic 3
Description is the fiction-writing mode for creating a mental image of a story. Examine the use of description in "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War". How does the author graphically describe life in Virginia during slavery and the Civil War? How are the characters described? How does the author use dialogue, imagery, and even sentence structure to help describe?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)