|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife wish she had done before she was sentenced to jail?
2. Why does Marguerite not want to have another baby?
3. What is the name of Catesby Byrd's wife?
4. Marguerite is interviewed by a girl from the WPA. Why are the girl's boss and father criticizing the amount of time she spends with Marguerite?
5. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife pray for because it sometimes slows the number of wounded arriving at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the third time that Jesse tries to run away from the Stratford Plantation?
2. What does Catesby write to his wife Leona about from Camp Bartow, Virginia?
3. Why is Alexander called into the office of the acting keeping at the penitentiary in Part II, Chapter 18?
4. What happens to Uther Botkin's wife, Martha?
5. How is Alexander assigned to Duncan's regiment?
6. How did Uther Botkin obtain his property that he now lives on?
7. What happens to Alexander during his first time in battle?
8. Why did Sallie marry Alexander Kirkpatrick in a hasty marriage?
9. What is Jesse's new job in Part III, Chapter 31, at the hospital?
10. What does a superior officer say to Duncan and his fellow cadets after they rush to get their weapons and regain their honor when the Union cadets pick a fight with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jesse is one of the main characters in "Jacob's Ladder" and is a slave of Samuel Gatewood's. He has been trying to find Maggie ever since she was sold. Analyze the character of Jesse and his importance in the story. Why does Jesse keep trying to run away? How is Jesse treated as a slave? How does Jesse feel about the war? What kind of person is Jesse? How has Jesse affected Maggie?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "Jacob's Ladder" there are families that grow, families that are torn apart, and families that stick together. Love is what binds these families together and the lack of love is often what tears them apart. Analyze the theme of family and love throughout the novel. How important is the theme of family in the novel? What examples from the book demonstrate how much Samuel's family means to him? What does family mean to Marguerite? Whom does she love?
Essay Topic 3
Description is the fiction-writing mode for creating a mental image of a story. Examine the use of description in "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War". How does the author graphically describe life in Virginia during slavery and the Civil War? How are the characters described? How does the author use dialogue, imagery, and even sentence structure to help describe?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)