|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife forced to do while in jail?
2. The woman traveling the countryside hears a lot about a storm. What is the name of the storm?
3. Whom does Samuel Gatewood have help Uther Botkin's family after the death of his wife?
4. Whom does Uther Botkin's slave wish could help her with the planting, but can't because he is in jail?
5. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. Where does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellam Omohundru do with Maggie in Part I, Chapter 10?
2. What happens the third time that Jesse tries to run away from the Stratford Plantation?
3. What does Catesby write to his wife Leona about from Camp Bartow, Virginia?
4. While Sallie is working at the hospital, what does a young soldier ask Sallie to do for him?
5. What does the judge sentence Sallie and Alexander to for being abolitionists?
6. What does a superior officer say to Duncan and his fellow cadets after they rush to get their weapons and regain their honor when the Union cadets pick a fight with them?
7. What does Catesby lose after playing cards in Part I, Chapter 11?
8. How do Rufus and Jesse escape Stratford Plantation?
9. How does Opal help Uther Botkin with his daughter and his farm?
10. What happens to Duncan's horse, Gypsy, during the battle in Chancellorsville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jesse is one of the main characters in "Jacob's Ladder" and is a slave of Samuel Gatewood's. He has been trying to find Maggie ever since she was sold. Analyze the character of Jesse and his importance in the story. Why does Jesse keep trying to run away? How is Jesse treated as a slave? How does Jesse feel about the war? What kind of person is Jesse? How has Jesse affected Maggie?
Essay Topic 2
Description is the fiction-writing mode for creating a mental image of a story. Examine the use of description in "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War". How does the author graphically describe life in Virginia during slavery and the Civil War? How are the characters described? How does the author use dialogue, imagery, and even sentence structure to help describe?
Essay Topic 3
In Part II, Chapter 26, Jesse and Rufus run away and learn that Abraham Lincoln has made the Emancipation Proclamation. Jesse and Rufus have no idea what they are taking about. Research the Emancipation Proclamation and examine how it affected the Civil War and slavery. How did it affect the outcome of the war? What did it entail? Why would Jesse or Rufus not know anything about it? When was it put into effect?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)