|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After attending church in Part I, Chapter 9, who begs Jack to put in a good word with Samuel Gatewood?
2. Who is Jesse?
3. Why does a judge sentence Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to jail?
4. How many years does the judge sentence Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to serve in jail?
5. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. Where does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catesby write to his wife Leona about from Camp Bartow, Virginia?
2. What is Jesse's new job in Part III, Chapter 31, at the hospital?
3. What happens to Alexander during his first time in battle?
4. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
5. While attending church, what does Opal beg Jack to do for her?
6. Why is the woman at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 1, traveling the countryside?
7. What does Catesby lose after playing cards in Part I, Chapter 11?
8. What happens to Duncan Gatewood when the storm, Cox's Snow, hits?
9. What does Ellam Omohundru do with Maggie in Part I, Chapter 10?
10. What was Miss Marguerite's name in 1857?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jesse is one of the main characters in "Jacob's Ladder" and is a slave of Samuel Gatewood's. He has been trying to find Maggie ever since she was sold. Analyze the character of Jesse and his importance in the story. Why does Jesse keep trying to run away? How is Jesse treated as a slave? How does Jesse feel about the war? What kind of person is Jesse? How has Jesse affected Maggie?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in "Jacob's Ladder" have an air of desperation about them and perform desperate acts. Examine the concept of desperation and discuss how it pertains to the characters in the novel. How could someone become desperate during times of war? What characters in the novel seem desperate at this point in the story? Who does not seem desperate? How can this desperation be brought on by some characters having to do uncharacteristic things?
Essay Topic 3
In Part II, Chapter 26, Jesse and Rufus run away and learn that Abraham Lincoln has made the Emancipation Proclamation. Jesse and Rufus have no idea what they are taking about. Research the Emancipation Proclamation and examine how it affected the Civil War and slavery. How did it affect the outcome of the war? What did it entail? Why would Jesse or Rufus not know anything about it? When was it put into effect?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)