|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
2. Why does a judge sentence Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to jail?
3. Where is Marguerite living in Part III, Chapter 28?
4. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife tell a young solider who asks if he is going to die?
5. Where is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife sent to work after she is released from jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does one of the surgeons, James Lane, ask that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
2. While attending church, what does Opal beg Jack to do for her?
3. How did Uther Botkin obtain his property that he now lives on?
4. What does Catesby lose after playing cards in Part I, Chapter 11?
5. Why did Sallie marry Alexander Kirkpatrick in a hasty marriage?
6. What does Abigail's Cousin Molly bring Sallie when she comes to visit her in jail?
7. What happens to Uther Botkin's wife, Martha?
8. How do Rufus and Jesse escape Stratford Plantation?
9. Why is the woman at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 1, traveling the countryside?
10. What was Miss Marguerite's name in 1857?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jesse is one of the main characters in "Jacob's Ladder" and is a slave of Samuel Gatewood's. He has been trying to find Maggie ever since she was sold. Analyze the character of Jesse and his importance in the story. Why does Jesse keep trying to run away? How is Jesse treated as a slave? How does Jesse feel about the war? What kind of person is Jesse? How has Jesse affected Maggie?
Essay Topic 2
In Part II, Chapter 26, Jesse and Rufus run away and learn that Abraham Lincoln has made the Emancipation Proclamation. Jesse and Rufus have no idea what they are taking about. Research the Emancipation Proclamation and examine how it affected the Civil War and slavery. How did it affect the outcome of the war? What did it entail? Why would Jesse or Rufus not know anything about it? When was it put into effect?
Essay Topic 3
Marguerite and Silas's relationship has quickly changed and grown into something more. In fact, Silas treats Jacob, Marguerite's child, as if he were his own. Analyze Silas and Marguerite's relationship and discuss how it changes throughout the novel. How do Silas and Marguerite meet? How does Marguerite really feel about Silas? Is she just using him for money? How does Silas really feel about Marguerite? Why is Marguerite worried about having a child with Silas?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)