|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Alexander Kirkpatrick do if he wants to be pardoned from serving jail?
2. While trying to find shelter from the big storm, whom does Samuel's son find inside a barn?
3. What do Samuel Gatewood's son and his friends do after some Union cadets rush them after listening to a speech at the military institute?
4. Catesby writes a letter to his wife in Part III, Chapter 32. What does he tell her has happened to Duncan?
5. After dumping piles of used bandages into a pit, how many patients does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife tell the surgeon he has waiting for the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Alexander assigned to Duncan's regiment?
2. What is Jesse's new job in Part III, Chapter 31, at the hospital?
3. What happens to Duncan during the big battle at McDowell?
4. What happens to Uther Botkin's wife, Martha?
5. What does a superior officer say to Duncan and his fellow cadets after they rush to get their weapons and regain their honor when the Union cadets pick a fight with them?
6. Why does one of the surgeons, James Lane, ask that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
7. How much money is Silas going to sell Maggie for as incentive for Ellam to treat her with some respect until time for the sale?
8. While Sallie is working at the hospital, what does a young soldier ask Sallie to do for him?
9. Why did Sallie marry Alexander Kirkpatrick in a hasty marriage?
10. How did Uther Botkin obtain his property that he now lives on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cousin Molly is an interesting character in that she seems to be clinging to the past that no longer exists. She becomes very important in Sallie's life and therefore an important character in the story. Analyze the character of Cousin Molly and her effect on Sallie. How does Molly meet Sallie? Why does Molly want to help Sallie? How does Molly use her humor to help get Sallie to trust her? What kind of person is Molly? How does Molly become a lifeline for Sallie during her prison sentence?
Essay Topic 2
"Jacob's Ladder" is historical fiction which is a story that is set in the past. "Jacob's Ladder" is set in the Civil War in Virginia, and therefore, it is considered historical fiction. Examine the different historical references throughout "Jacob's Ladder". What makes "Jacob's Ladder" historical fiction? Does the author make a point of centering his story on actual events that happened during the Civil War? Does he use real places and dates? Does it make his story more believable? How does it enhance the story?
Essay Topic 3
Marguerite and Silas's relationship has quickly changed and grown into something more. In fact, Silas treats Jacob, Marguerite's child, as if he were his own. Analyze Silas and Marguerite's relationship and discuss how it changes throughout the novel. How do Silas and Marguerite meet? How does Marguerite really feel about Silas? Is she just using him for money? How does Silas really feel about Marguerite? Why is Marguerite worried about having a child with Silas?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)