|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catesby and a fellow soldier do when a Union soldier stumbles into their camp?
2. Where does Alexander arrive in Part III, Chapter 29, just before a big fight?
3. What must Alexander Kirkpatrick do if he wants to be pardoned from serving jail?
4. Who is Jesse?
5. After attending church in Part I, Chapter 9, who begs Jack to put in a good word with Samuel Gatewood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jesse learn that the surgeon name Potts has done that upsets him?
2. Why does Jesse keep trying to run away from the Stratford Plantation?
3. While leading the A Company near Fairfax City, Virginia, what does the surgeon named Potts remind Jesse to have his men do?
4. What happens at the Appomattox Courthouse that Duncan and Thomas Byrd are present at in Part IV, Chapter 68?
5. What is Jesse's new job in Part III, Chapter 31, at the hospital?
6. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
7. How did Uther Botkin obtain his property that he now lives on?
8. What do Marguerite's grown children tell the girl who has been interviewing her at the birthday party?
9. What does a superior officer say to Duncan and his fellow cadets after they rush to get their weapons and regain their honor when the Union cadets pick a fight with them?
10. After telling his wife, Leona, in a letter that he has become a Christian, what does Catesby urge his wife, Leona, to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Marguerite is the narrator and one of the main characters in "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War". Analyze the character of Miss Marguerite throughout her different name changes in her life: Midge, Maggie, and Marguerite. How did Marguerite change with each name? How does this influence the overall story? Where is Midge from, and where does she live? Who owns Midge? What is different about Midge's race from that of other slaves?
Essay Topic 2
Most of the characters in "Jacob's Ladder" have no idea what the war will do to their lives. Examine how the characters' first ideas of the war differ from the actual realities of the war. How do Duncan's fantasies really have nothing in common with the realities of war? How can someone's fantasy of something almost make the reality harder to bear? Is Alexander having a harder time dealing with his reality because of his preconceived notions of war?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in "Jacob's Ladder" have an air of desperation about them and perform desperate acts. Examine the concept of desperation and discuss how it pertains to the characters in the novel. How could someone become desperate during times of war? What characters in the novel seem desperate at this point in the story? Who does not seem desperate? How can this desperation be brought on by some characters having to do uncharacteristic things?
This section contains 2,273 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)