|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Samuel Gatewood's wife?
2. Why does Alexander demand that he be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
3. What is the name of the family that Alexander works for food and stays with in Part III, Chapter 35?
4. What does Alexander tell Samuel Gatewood's son he claimed so he could be assigned to his regiment?
5. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jesse's men react after he reads them the Gettysburg Address?
2. How does Marguerite take control of the situation when Mingo leaves Kizzy pregnant and distraught on the road out of Wilmington?
3. What happens when Duncan meets Confederate President Davis at an event he attends with Sallie?
4. After being captured, why are the black soldiers pleading with the Confederates to be released?
5. What does the army recruiter say that convinces Jesse to join the Union army?
6. In Part III, Chapter 28, how does Maggie, now known as Marguerite, feel about her life with Silas?
7. Why is Alexander called into the office of the acting keeping at the penitentiary in Part II, Chapter 18?
8. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
9. How did Uther Botkin obtain his property that he now lives on?
10. What incident does Miss Marguerite begin with when telling her story to the young woman in Part I, Chapter 1?
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in "Jacob's Ladder" have an air of desperation about them and perform desperate acts. Examine the concept of desperation and discuss how it pertains to the characters in the novel. How could someone become desperate during times of war? What characters in the novel seem desperate at this point in the story? Who does not seem desperate? How can this desperation be brought on by some characters having to do uncharacteristic things?
Essay Topic 2
Jesse is one of the main characters in "Jacob's Ladder" and is a slave of Samuel Gatewood's. He has been trying to find Maggie ever since she was sold. Analyze the character of Jesse and his importance in the story. Why does Jesse keep trying to run away? How is Jesse treated as a slave? How does Jesse feel about the war? What kind of person is Jesse? How has Jesse affected Maggie?
Essay Topic 3
Alexander and Sallie are hastily married and they both have conflicting feelings about it. They are both important characters to the story. Examine Alexander and Sallie's relationship throughout the story. How did Alexander and Sallie meet? Is Sallie nervous about taking Alexander home to meet her family? Why? How does Alexander feel about being married compared to how Sallie feels? Why do Alexander and Sallie grow apart? Do they ever get a divorce?
This section contains 2,314 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)