Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Samuel Gatewood's wife?
2. Why does Alexander demand that he be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
3. What is the name of the family that Alexander works for food and stays with in Part III, Chapter 35?
4. What does Alexander tell Samuel Gatewood's son he claimed so he could be assigned to his regiment?
5. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jesse's men react after he reads them the Gettysburg Address?
2. How does Marguerite take control of the situation when Mingo leaves Kizzy pregnant and distraught on the road out of Wilmington?
3. What happens when Duncan meets Confederate President Davis at an event he attends with Sallie?
4. After being captured, why are the black soldiers pleading with the Confederates to be released?
5. What does the army recruiter say that convinces Jesse to join the Union army?
6. In Part III, Chapter 28, how does Maggie, now known as Marguerite, feel about her life with Silas?
7. Why is Alexander called into the office of the acting keeping at the penitentiary in Part II, Chapter 18?
8. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
9. How did Uther Botkin obtain his property that he now lives on?
10. What incident does Miss Marguerite begin with when telling her story to the young woman in Part I, Chapter 1?
Alexander and Sallie are hastily married and they both have conflicting feelings about it. They are both important characters to the story. Examine Alexander and Sallie's relationship throughout the story. How did Alexander and Sallie meet? Is Sallie nervous about taking Alexander home to meet her family? Why? How does Alexander feel about being married compared to how Sallie feels? Why do Alexander and Sallie grow apart? Do they ever get a divorce?
The novel "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War", is a novel centered around the Civil War. Research and study the Civil War and how it began. How did the Civil War start? What state was the first to secede? What did the soldiers who were in the Civil War have to endure? Why did the Civil War start? How did the soldiers feel at the beginning of the Civil War? Who was the president during the Civil War, for both sides, Union and Confederate?
"Jacob's Ladder" is historical fiction which is a story that is set in the past. "Jacob's Ladder" is set in the Civil War in Virginia, and therefore, it is considered historical fiction. Examine the different historical references throughout "Jacob's Ladder". What makes "Jacob's Ladder" historical fiction? Does the author make a point of centering his story on actual events that happened during the Civil War? Does he use real places and dates? Does it make his story more believable? How does it enhance the story?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)