|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his essay in Part I, Chapter 13, whom does Samuel Gatewood try to convince to stop running away?
2. What is the name of the house that Silas arrives at where there is prostitution and evening entertainment?
3. In the letter that he writes from camp, where does Catesby urge his wife to stay?
4. Why does Alexander demand that he be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
5. What is the name of the horse that Duncan has had since he was a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Miss Marguerite's name in 1857?
2. Why does one of the surgeons, James Lane, ask that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
3. What happens to Duncan during the big battle at McDowell?
4. Why is the woman at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 1, traveling the countryside?
5. While Sallie is working at the hospital, what does a young soldier ask Sallie to do for him?
6. What happens to Uther Botkin's wife, Martha?
7. What happens to Alexander during his first time in battle?
8. How does Opal help Uther Botkin with his daughter and his farm?
9. What is Jesse's new job in Part III, Chapter 31, at the hospital?
10. What does Abigail's Cousin Molly bring Sallie when she comes to visit her in jail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The war has caused tremendous changes not only in the characters but also in society. Each character deals with these changes in a different way. Analyze the theme of change in the novel, particularly how it pertains to society. How have these changes affected the characters? What changes have been for the better? What changes have been for the worse? Does something as catastrophic as war need to happen to bring about great change?
Essay Topic 2
Miss Marguerite is the narrator and one of the main characters in "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War". Analyze the character of Miss Marguerite throughout her different name changes in her life: Midge, Maggie, and Marguerite. How did Marguerite change with each name? How does this influence the overall story? Where is Midge from, and where does she live? Who owns Midge? What is different about Midge's race from that of other slaves?
Essay Topic 3
The novel "Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War", is a novel centered around the Civil War. Research and study the Civil War and how it began. How did the Civil War start? What state was the first to secede? What did the soldiers who were in the Civil War have to endure? Why did the Civil War start? How did the soldiers feel at the beginning of the Civil War? Who was the president during the Civil War, for both sides, Union and Confederate?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)