|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jesse teaching to others in the army before he hears men singing?
2. What do the Union soldiers tell Marguerite's servants after besetting them on the road?
(a) That they should head to Mexico.
(b) That they can come with them.
(c) That they are eventually going to die.
(d) That they had better turn around and go the other way.
3. What does Jesse believe will be important for the success of his race?
(d) Hard work.
4. While awaiting the arrival of his ship, why has Silas begun to be angry about Marguerite?
(a) He has begun to be angry about Marguerite's attitude about his long hours at work.
(b) He has begun to be angry about Marguerite's insistence that she remain away from society as much as possible.
(c) She is flirting with a lot of his men.
(d) He does not like her son Jacob.
5. Duncan is somewhat annoyed by the Confederate President at the event. What does he ask him?
(a) Why the men are clothed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
(b) Why the war had to happen.
(c) When the fighting will stop.
(d) Why the men are fed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
Short Answer Questions
1. Duncan tells his sister about the Union and Confederate troops camping so near each other that the music from the Union camp could be heard clearly. What song do the Union musicians play at the Confederate troops' request?
2. Jesse travels to visit friends in a nearby company where he hears the men singing. What song does hear them singing?
3. What does the young Danzinger boy ask Alexander to do for him after it becomes evident the renegades are going to kill him?
4. Why is Catesby's son not a help to his family?
5. How does Jesse feel about giving his money to the surgeon, who says he will put it into a savings account?
Short Essay Questions
1. After being captured, why are the black soldiers pleading with the Confederates to be released?
2. While traveling on their way home from a prayer meeting, what does young Seth Danzinger talk about with Alexander?
3. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
4. How do Jesse's men react after he reads them the Gettysburg Address?
5. After pulling over the Danzinger family's buggy, what do the renegades order Alexander to do after they question Seth about being a spy?
6. What do Marguerite's grown children tell the girl who has been interviewing her at the birthday party?
7. What does Sallie realize about her Cousin Molly's attitude in Part IV, Chapter 50?
8. How does Catesby die after the battle in Spotsylvania?
9. How does Jesse describe Abraham Lincoln after he sees him coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
10. How does Marguerite take control of the situation when Mingo leaves Kizzy pregnant and distraught on the road out of Wilmington?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)