|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Part III, Chapter 37, who are washing the corpse of Uther Botkin?
(a) Martha and Jacob.
(b) Susie and Jack.
(c) Opal and Franky.
(d) Anna and Jesse.
2. What are the names of Marguerite's servants, who were former slaves?
(a) Karla and Mingo.
(b) Kizzy and Martha.
(c) Kizzy and Mingo.
(d) Karla and Manny.
3. Who agrees to marry Duncan while visiting his old home?
4. What does Marguerite demand from the bank after she notices Silas's invoices were not filed correctly?
(a) That they pay her back with interest.
(b) That they convert his assess to silver currency instead of Confederate money.
(c) That they file Silas's invoices correctly.
(d) That they convert his assets to gold currency instead of Confederate money or cotton pledges.
5. Duncan is somewhat annoyed by the Confederate President at the event. What does he ask him?
(a) Why the men are clothed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
(b) Why the war had to happen.
(c) Why the men are fed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
(d) When the fighting will stop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Uther teach Duncan and Jesse to do in their youth?
2. What is Alexander's explanation for why he is a member of the renegade group?
3. What holiday are Catesby and his fellow soldiers celebrating that they attend a prayer meeting?
4. What is supposed to arrive via rail the day of the holiday in Part III, Chapter 42, which has the men so excited?
5. What does Jesse say that the "colored troops broke ranks" for when they see the man coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jesse and the other black soldiers who are captured by the Confederates after a battle?
2. How does Catesby die after the battle in Spotsylvania?
3. What do the Union soldiers take when they stop Marguerite and her servants on the road as they leave Wilmington?
4. How does Jesse describe Abraham Lincoln after he sees him coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
5. While traveling on their way home from a prayer meeting, what does young Seth Danzinger talk about with Alexander?
6. What does Duncan tell Sallie happened when the Union and Confederate troops were camped very closely to each other in Part III, Chapter 39?
7. How does Marguerite take control of the situation when Mingo leaves Kizzy pregnant and distraught on the road out of Wilmington?
8. What happens at the Appomattox Courthouse that Duncan and Thomas Byrd are present at in Part IV, Chapter 68?
9. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
10. What happens to the young Union soldier who stumbles into the camp of Alexander and the other renegades in Part IV, Chapter 54?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)