|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Duncan tells his sister about the Union and Confederate troops camping so near each other that the music from the Union camp could be heard clearly. What song do the Union musicians play at the Confederate troops' request?
(a) Here's Your Mule.
(c) Southern Wagon.
(d) Bonnie Blue Flag.
2. What arrives on the train that has the men disappointed that they draw lots for?
(a) A jug of beer.
(b) A couple gallons of water.
(c) A single basket of food.
(d) A couple shirts.
3. Where is Duncan staying at the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 60?
(a) A military institution in Virginia.
(b) Uther Botkin's place.
(c) Stratford Plantation.
(d) A hospital in South Carolina.
4. After one of her servants leaves her on the road, what does Marguerite use to carry a small ham and some other small belongings?
(a) A small cart.
(b) A suitcase.
(c) A handbag.
(d) A sling.
5. What does Marguerite think her children are going to try to get her to sell while they are visiting?
(a) Her house.
(b) The bank.
(c) Her jewelry.
(d) Her story to another newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Silas promise to Marguerite before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
2. What is the name of Silas's crew of blockade-runners?
3. What did Uther teach Duncan and Jesse to do in their youth?
4. How does Silas describe the conditions in the Confederate Army?
5. What does Jesse say that the "colored troops broke ranks" for when they see the man coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
Short Essay Questions
1. After being captured, what does Alexander say when one of the officers asks him what happened to make him fall into this group?
2. After being captured, why are the black soldiers pleading with the Confederates to be released?
3. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
4. How does Jesse describe Abraham Lincoln after he sees him coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
5. What do the Union soldiers tell Kizzy and Mingo after stopping them on the road as they leave Wilmington?
6. What happens to Jesse and the other black soldiers who are captured by the Confederates after a battle?
7. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
8. What do Marguerite's grown children tell the girl who has been interviewing her at the birthday party?
9. Duncan runs into Midge, now Marguerite Omohundru, at an event, what do they talk about in their private conversation?
10. What does the army recruiter say that convinces Jesse to join the Union army?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)