|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Silas in the Confederate Army in Part IV, Chapter 61?
(a) He volunteered.
(b) He was drafted.
(c) He was forced; they would have killed him if he did not join.
(d) Maggie wanted him too.
2. What did Uther teach Duncan and Jesse to do in their youth?
(a) Plow a field.
3. What arrives on the train that has the men disappointed that they draw lots for?
(a) A couple shirts.
(b) A jug of beer.
(c) A single basket of food.
(d) A couple gallons of water.
4. At the beginning of Part III, Chapter 37, who are washing the corpse of Uther Botkin?
(a) Opal and Franky.
(b) Anna and Jesse.
(c) Martha and Jacob.
(d) Susie and Jack.
5. What are Jesse and a group of black men, mostly former slaves, building in Washington?
(a) A fort.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A bridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Jesse and his company assigned to work in Part IV, Chapter 52?
2. What happens to the surgeon who cut off the head of a black soldier and autopsied it?
3. Where is Silas killed?
4. What does Jesse say that the "colored troops broke ranks" for when they see the man coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
5. Why is Duncan uncertain about marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. After pulling over the Danzinger family's buggy, what do the renegades order Alexander to do after they question Seth about being a spy?
2. How does Catesby die after the battle in Spotsylvania?
3. Why have the renegades stopped the Danzinger family and Alexander's buggy in Part IV, Chapter 44?
4. How does Jesse describe Abraham Lincoln after he sees him coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
5. While traveling on their way home from a prayer meeting, what does young Seth Danzinger talk about with Alexander?
6. How do Jesse's men react after he reads them the Gettysburg Address?
7. What do the Union soldiers take when they stop Marguerite and her servants on the road as they leave Wilmington?
8. What does Duncan tell Sallie happened when the Union and Confederate troops were camped very closely to each other in Part III, Chapter 39?
9. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
10. After telling his wife, Leona, in a letter that he has become a Christian, what does Catesby urge his wife, Leona, to do?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)