|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the names of Marguerite's servants, who were former slaves?
(a) Karla and Manny.
(b) Karla and Mingo.
(c) Kizzy and Mingo.
(d) Kizzy and Martha.
2. On the way home from prayer meeting, whom is Alexander traveling with when their buggy is stopped by renegades?
(a) Mark Danzinger.
(b) Seth Danzinger.
(c) Carl Danzinger.
(d) Jacob Danzinger.
3. After saying some things that Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington do not like, what does the recruiter say that gains Jesse's attention?
(a) He says that white men are better soldiers.
(b) He says that they have to decide for themselves what to fight for.
(c) He says that Lincoln is the reason that blacks are free to make a choice for themselves.
(d) He says that they will be paid to be soldiers.
4. What is the name of Jesse's Captain in the army?
(a) Captain Fessenden.
(b) Captain Farley.
(c) Captain Fessler.
(d) Captain Firestone.
5. What is the Confederate President's answer to Duncan's question at the event?
(a) The wounded men are fed better so they will heal quickly and return to the field.
(b) The fighting will stop when they have won.
(c) The wounded are clothed better so infection will not spread.
(d) The war happened because the Union is evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Catesby's bunkmate in Part III, Chapter 42?
2. What is Jesse teaching to others in the army before he hears men singing?
3. What has Catesby become now that he has "renounced his previous sinful ways"?
4. Where are Marguerite and her servants preparing to leave when they are beset by Union soldiers on the road?
5. Who stumbles into Alexander's camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marguerite take control of the situation when Mingo leaves Kizzy pregnant and distraught on the road out of Wilmington?
2. Why have the renegades stopped the Danzinger family and Alexander's buggy in Part IV, Chapter 44?
3. How does Jesse describe Abraham Lincoln after he sees him coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
4. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
5. Duncan runs into Midge, now Marguerite Omohundru, at an event, what do they talk about in their private conversation?
6. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
7. What happens to the young Union soldier who stumbles into the camp of Alexander and the other renegades in Part IV, Chapter 54?
8. What does the army recruiter say that convinces Jesse to join the Union army?
9. How does Catesby die after the battle in Spotsylvania?
10. While leading the A Company near Fairfax City, Virginia, what does the surgeon named Potts remind Jesse to have his men do?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)