|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Union soldiers tell Marguerite's servants after besetting them on the road?
(a) That they are eventually going to die.
(b) That they can come with them.
(c) That they should head to Mexico.
(d) That they had better turn around and go the other way.
2. What happens to Jesse and several other black soldiers after they are captured by the Confederates in Part IV, Chapter 56?
(a) They are beaten and shackled.
(b) They are sent directly to prison.
(c) The men are being released to former masters, providing those masters want to take them, or they go to jail.
(d) They release them with a warning to return home.
3. What does Catesby save from his holiday dinner to share with his bunkmate?
(a) A piece of bread.
(b) A piece of cake.
(c) A piece of bacon.
(d) A piece of ham.
4. What did Uther teach Duncan and Jesse to do in their youth?
(c) Plow a field.
5. After one of her servants leaves her on the road, what does Marguerite use to carry a small ham and some other small belongings?
(a) A handbag.
(b) A suitcase.
(c) A sling.
(d) A small cart.
Short Answer Questions
1. After finally leaving the hospital, what Confederate President do Duncan and his sister meet at an event?
2. What does Marguerite demand from the bank after she notices Silas's invoices were not filed correctly?
3. What does Silas warn Marguerite about before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
4. Where are Jesse and his company assigned to work in Part IV, Chapter 52?
5. What does Catesby tell his wife, in a letter, that he has given up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have the renegades stopped the Danzinger family and Alexander's buggy in Part IV, Chapter 44?
2. What do Marguerite's grown children tell the girl who has been interviewing her at the birthday party?
3. What does Silas tell Marguerite in a letter in Part IV, Chapter 61?
4. What do the Union soldiers take when they stop Marguerite and her servants on the road as they leave Wilmington?
5. What do the Union soldiers tell Kizzy and Mingo after stopping them on the road as they leave Wilmington?
6. What does Duncan tell Sallie about Midge when she comes to visit him in the hospital?
7. How does Marguerite take control of the situation when Mingo leaves Kizzy pregnant and distraught on the road out of Wilmington?
8. What happens when Duncan meets Confederate President Davis at an event he attends with Sallie?
9. What does Duncan tell Sallie happened when the Union and Confederate troops were camped very closely to each other in Part III, Chapter 39?
10. Duncan runs into Midge, now Marguerite Omohundru, at an event, what do they talk about in their private conversation?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)