|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Duncan and Catesby during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
(a) They run away.
(b) They are taken as prisoner.
(c) They survive and watch helplessly as wounded men die in the fields.
(d) They are both badly wounded.
2. Why is the person that Uther Botkin's slave wishes could help her with the planting in jail?
(a) He stole some food.
(b) He killed someone.
(c) He beat someone up.
(d) He tried to run away.
3. Why does Marguerite not want to have another baby?
(a) She wants to ensure that Jesse will love Jacob as his own.
(b) She wants to ensure that Duncan will love Jacob as his own.
(c) She wants to ensure that Silas will love Jacob as his own.
(d) She wants to ensure that Samuel will love Jacob as his own.
4. Catesby writes a letter to his wife in Part III, Chapter 32. What does he tell her has happened to Duncan?
(a) He has been severely injured and has lost a foot.
(b) He has been severely injured and has brain damage.
(c) He has been severely injured and has lost an arm.
(d) He has been severely injured and has lost a leg.
5. Whom does Marguerite accompany to an expensive gathering at the governor's mansion?
(d) Samuel Gatewood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexander tell Samuel Gatewood's son he claimed so he could be assigned to his regiment?
2. What is Jesse doing that causes most men to fall ill or to move on to another job as quickly as possible?
3. What does Samuel Gatewood do after his slave's third attempt at running away?
4. What does Catesby agree to on his final bet?
5. After his essay in Part I, Chapter 13, whom does Samuel Gatewood try to convince to stop running away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does one of the surgeons, James Lane, ask that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
2. What does the judge sentence Sallie and Alexander to for being abolitionists?
3. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
4. What happens to Duncan Gatewood when the storm, Cox's Snow, hits?
5. Why is the woman at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 1, traveling the countryside?
6. How does Opal help Uther Botkin with his daughter and his farm?
7. How is Alexander assigned to Duncan's regiment?
8. What happens at the military institute, where Duncan is present to hear a speech, which causes a fight?
9. What happens to Duncan's horse, Gypsy, during the battle in Chancellorsville?
10. Why did Sallie marry Alexander Kirkpatrick in a hasty marriage?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)