|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his essay in Part I, Chapter 13, whom does Samuel Gatewood try to convince to stop running away?
2. How much money is the slave that Silas's nephew had sex with being sold for?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Two thousand dollars.
(c) Twelve hundred dollars.
(d) Sixteen hundred dollars.
3. To whom is Alexander Kirkpatrick married?
(a) Sallie Botkin.
(b) Sammy Botkin.
(c) Sara Botkin.
(d) Susie Botkin.
4. What is the name of the house that Silas arrives at where there is prostitution and evening entertainment?
(a) King's House.
(b) Commander's House.
(c) Chief's House.
(d) Captain's House.
5. While at the military institute listening to a speech, what does Samuel Gatewood's son see happen to a Union flagpole?
(a) It is torn down.
(b) It is waved around while everyone cheers.
(c) The pole is set on fire and the flag is burned.
(d) It breaks, sending the flag crashing to the ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who harbors a runaway slave in Part I, Chapter 7?
2. Catesby plays cards with Samuel Gatewood's son and some other young men. What does he lose?
3. What do Samuel Gatewood's son and his friends do after some Union cadets rush them after listening to a speech at the military institute?
4. Why does Samuel Gatewood want his slave to be married?
5. Where is Samuel Gatewood's son hit by a bullet during battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident does Miss Marguerite begin with when telling her story to the young woman in Part I, Chapter 1?
2. How does Marguerite take control of the situation when Mingo leaves Kizzy pregnant and distraught on the road out of Wilmington?
3. What does Catesby write to his wife Leona about from Camp Bartow, Virginia?
4. What is Jesse's new job in Part III, Chapter 31, at the hospital?
5. How did Uther Botkin obtain his property that he now lives on?
6. After telling his wife, Leona, in a letter that he has become a Christian, what does Catesby urge his wife, Leona, to do?
7. Why does one of the surgeons, James Lane, ask that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
8. In Part III, Chapter 28, how does Maggie, now known as Marguerite, feel about her life with Silas?
9. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
10. What does Silas tell his crew before he leaves to Richmond in Part IV, Chapter 57?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)