|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname has Samuel Gatewood's son earned from his classmates?
(d) Bucking Bronco.
2. How much money is the slave that Silas's nephew had sex with being sold for?
(a) Sixteen hundred dollars.
(b) Twelve hundred dollars.
(c) Two thousand dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
3. Why does Alexander demand that he be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
(a) Because he is an abolitionist.
(b) Because he owns slaves.
(c) Because he sides with the North.
(d) Because he sides with the Confederate Army.
4. To whom is Alexander Kirkpatrick married?
(a) Susie Botkin.
(b) Sallie Botkin.
(c) Sammy Botkin.
(d) Sara Botkin.
5. While at the military institute listening to a speech, what does Samuel Gatewood's son see happen to a Union flagpole?
(a) It is waved around while everyone cheers.
(b) It breaks, sending the flag crashing to the ground.
(c) It is torn down.
(d) The pole is set on fire and the flag is burned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife pray for because it sometimes slows the number of wounded arriving at the hospital?
2. After dumping piles of used bandages into a pit, how many patients does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife tell the surgeon he has waiting for the day?
3. What did Uther Botkin inherit?
4. In the letter that he writes from camp, where does Catesby urge his wife to stay?
5. What happens when Alexander is sent to deliver a message to a particular group about to be hemmed in during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the judge sentence Sallie and Alexander to for being abolitionists?
2. What does Silas do to Ellam when he learns of his treatment of Maggie?
3. What does Sallie pray for while working at the hospital in Part III, Chapter 30?
4. What was Miss Marguerite's name in 1857?
5. What incident does Miss Marguerite begin with when telling her story to the young woman in Part I, Chapter 1?
6. What does a superior officer say to Duncan and his fellow cadets after they rush to get their weapons and regain their honor when the Union cadets pick a fight with them?
7. What happens to Duncan Gatewood when the storm, Cox's Snow, hits?
8. What does Catesby write to his wife Leona about from Camp Bartow, Virginia?
9. What happens to Duncan's horse, Gypsy, during the battle in Chancellorsville?
10. What happens to Duncan during the big battle at McDowell?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)