|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Samuel Gatewood's slave trying to run away?
(a) He is trying to find Maggie.
(b) He is trying to find Martha.
(c) He is trying to find Sallie.
(d) He is trying to find Rita.
2. What are woman like Marguerite known as at the governor's party?
(a) Friendly companions.
(b) Outside wives.
3. What does Silas do for a living?
(c) Buys and sells slaves.
4. What does the visitor bring Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife while visiting her in jail?
(b) A freshly baked pie.
(c) Milk, a brush, and some candy.
(d) Soap, cheese, and other minor gifts.
5. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
(a) He does not mind at all.
(b) He yells at him and tells him to leave.
(c) He punches him.
(d) He flips over his nephew's chair and dumps breakfast and coffee on him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Two years after the big storm, what is Samuel's son guarding in Part I, Chapter 2?
2. How old is Uther Botkin?
3. What property does Samuel Gatewood own?
4. Who accompanies Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to the jail after they are sentenced?
5. What is the name of the surgeon who receives a telegram that makes him cry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the judge sentence Sallie and Alexander to for being abolitionists?
2. How do Rufus and Jesse escape Stratford Plantation?
3. In Part III, Chapter 28, how does Maggie, now known as Marguerite, feel about her life with Silas?
4. What was Miss Marguerite's name in 1857?
5. What does Silas do to Ellam when he learns of his treatment of Maggie?
6. What happens to Duncan during the big battle at McDowell?
7. While Sallie is working at the hospital, what does a young soldier ask Sallie to do for him?
8. What does Catesby write to his wife Leona about from Camp Bartow, Virginia?
9. What happens the third time that Jesse tries to run away from the Stratford Plantation?
10. Why does one of the surgeons, James Lane, ask that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)