|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the penitentiary that Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife are being sent to?
2. What is Jesse doing that causes most men to fall ill or to move on to another job as quickly as possible?
(a) Burying dead bodies.
(b) Taking the clothing off dead bodies.
(c) Cleaning out the cesspools around the hospitals.
(d) Burning dead bodies.
3. Where does Alexander arrive in Part III, Chapter 29, just before a big fight?
(a) Williamsburg, Virginia.
(b) Charleston, South Carolina.
(c) Lexington, Virginia.
(d) Fredericksburg, Virginia.
4. While at the military institute listening to a speech, what does Samuel Gatewood's son see happen to a Union flagpole?
(a) It is torn down.
(b) It is waved around while everyone cheers.
(c) It breaks, sending the flag crashing to the ground.
(d) The pole is set on fire and the flag is burned.
5. What happens to Duncan and Catesby during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
(a) They are taken as prisoner.
(b) They are both badly wounded.
(c) They run away.
(d) They survive and watch helplessly as wounded men die in the fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the surgeon who receives a telegram that makes him cry?
2. What are Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife forced to do while in jail?
3. After attending church in Part I, Chapter 9, who begs Jack to put in a good word with Samuel Gatewood?
4. To whom is Alexander Kirkpatrick married?
5. Who accompanies Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to the jail after they are sentenced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Duncan during the big battle at McDowell?
2. What happens to Duncan's horse, Gypsy, during the battle in Chancellorsville?
3. How does Opal help Uther Botkin with his daughter and his farm?
4. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
5. How much money is Silas going to sell Maggie for as incentive for Ellam to treat her with some respect until time for the sale?
6. While attending church, what does Opal beg Jack to do for her?
7. Why is Alexander called into the office of the acting keeping at the penitentiary in Part II, Chapter 18?
8. What happens at the military institute, where Duncan is present to hear a speech, which causes a fight?
9. Why is the woman at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 1, traveling the countryside?
10. What does Catesby lose after playing cards in Part I, Chapter 11?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)