|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the visitor bring Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife while visiting her in jail?
(a) Soap, cheese, and other minor gifts.
(c) A freshly baked pie.
(d) Milk, a brush, and some candy.
2. How much money is the slave that Silas's nephew had sex with being sold for?
(a) Twelve hundred dollars.
(b) Two thousand dollars.
(c) Sixteen hundred dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
3. What is the name of the horse that Duncan has had since he was a child?
4. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife pray for because it sometimes slows the number of wounded arriving at the hospital?
(a) Winter storms.
(b) Spring rains.
(c) The Confederates to win more battles.
(d) Less men joining the army.
5. Where is the military institute located that Samuel Gatewood's son attends?
(a) Charleston, South Carolina.
(b) Birmingham, Alabama.
(c) Lexington, Virginia.
(d) Williamsburg, Virginia.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Alexander Kirkpatrick married?
2. What does Samuel Gatewood do after his slave's third attempt at running away?
3. What happens to Duncan and Catesby during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
4. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife wish she had done before she was sentenced to jail?
5. How old is Uther Botkin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sallie marry Alexander Kirkpatrick in a hasty marriage?
2. Why is Alexander called into the office of the acting keeping at the penitentiary in Part II, Chapter 18?
3. What was Miss Marguerite's name in 1857?
4. How is Alexander assigned to Duncan's regiment?
5. What does Sallie pray for while working at the hospital in Part III, Chapter 30?
6. What is Jesse's new job in Part III, Chapter 31, at the hospital?
7. What happens at the military institute, where Duncan is present to hear a speech, which causes a fight?
8. What does Abigail's Cousin Molly bring Sallie when she comes to visit her in jail?
9. Why does one of the surgeons, James Lane, ask that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
10. In Part III, Chapter 28, how does Maggie, now known as Marguerite, feel about her life with Silas?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)