|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a Confederate solider tell Rufus and Jesse before shooting Rufus in the chest?
(a) That he is lower than dirt.
(b) That they are going to die.
(c) That he will be punished for running away.
(d) That Abraham Lincoln has made the Emancipation Proclamation.
2. How much money is the slave that Silas's nephew had sex with being sold for?
(a) Twelve hundred dollars.
(b) Sixteen hundred dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Two thousand dollars.
3. What is the name of Uther Botkin's daughter?
4. Marguerite is interviewed by a girl from the WPA. Why are the girl's boss and father criticizing the amount of time she spends with Marguerite?
(a) They both say the story that Marguerite is telling is untrue.
(b) They do not like that she's a mulatto.
(c) Because she is a prostitute.
(d) Because she is a slave.
5. What must Alexander Kirkpatrick do if he wants to be pardoned from serving jail?
(a) Never sell slaves again.
(b) Join the Confederate Army.
(c) Never harbor slaves again.
(d) Join the Union Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. While at the military institute listening to a speech, what does Samuel Gatewood's son see happen to a Union flagpole?
2. Where does Jesse decide to go to look for a new job?
3. Whom does Samuel Gatewood purchase from Uther Botkin?
4. What is the name of Catesby Byrd's wife?
5. By whom is the woman traveling the countryside in Part I, Chapter 1, employed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident does Miss Marguerite begin with when telling her story to the young woman in Part I, Chapter 1?
2. What happens at the military institute, where Duncan is present to hear a speech, which causes a fight?
3. How does Opal help Uther Botkin with his daughter and his farm?
4. What does Ellam Omohundru do with Maggie in Part I, Chapter 10?
5. What happens the third time that Jesse tries to run away from the Stratford Plantation?
6. What does Abigail's Cousin Molly bring Sallie when she comes to visit her in jail?
7. In Part III, Chapter 28, how does Maggie, now known as Marguerite, feel about her life with Silas?
8. What does the judge sentence Sallie and Alexander to for being abolitionists?
9. Why did Sallie marry Alexander Kirkpatrick in a hasty marriage?
10. What does Sallie pray for while working at the hospital in Part III, Chapter 30?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)