|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Marguerite is interviewed by a girl from the WPA. Why are the girl's boss and father criticizing the amount of time she spends with Marguerite?
(a) They do not like that she's a mulatto.
(b) Because she is a slave.
(c) Because she is a prostitute.
(d) They both say the story that Marguerite is telling is untrue.
2. Who is Jesse?
(a) Uther Botkin's nephew.
(b) Uther Botkin's son.
(c) Uther Botkin's slave boy.
(d) Uther Botkin's brother.
3. After attending church in Part I, Chapter 9, who begs Jack to put in a good word with Samuel Gatewood?
4. Whose custody is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife released into in Part II, Chapter 23?
(a) Samuel Gatewood.
(b) Cousin Molly.
(d) Uther Botkin.
5. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
(a) He punches him.
(b) He yells at him and tells him to leave.
(c) He flips over his nephew's chair and dumps breakfast and coffee on him.
(d) He does not mind at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the battle that Catesby and Samuel Gatewood's son are fighting in Part II, Chapter 19?
2. After traveling to where the slaves are held, with whom does Silas's nephew have sex?
3. What nickname has Samuel Gatewood's son earned from his classmates?
4. Where is the military institute located that Samuel Gatewood's son attends?
5. Where does Jesse decide to go to look for a new job?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Sallie is working at the hospital, what does a young soldier ask Sallie to do for him?
2. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
3. What does Ellam Omohundru do with Maggie in Part I, Chapter 10?
4. What is Jesse's new job in Part III, Chapter 31, at the hospital?
5. What does Catesby write to his wife Leona about from Camp Bartow, Virginia?
6. What does Abigail's Cousin Molly bring Sallie when she comes to visit her in jail?
7. What happens to Alexander during his first time in battle?
8. What happens to Uther Botkin's wife, Martha?
9. What was Miss Marguerite's name in 1857?
10. What does Sallie pray for while working at the hospital in Part III, Chapter 30?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)