|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Alexander arrive in Part III, Chapter 29, just before a big fight?
(a) Charleston, South Carolina.
(b) Lexington, Virginia.
(c) Williamsburg, Virginia.
(d) Fredericksburg, Virginia.
2. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. Where does the story take place?
(a) O'Hara Plantation in Mississippi.
(b) Gatewood Plantation in South Carolina.
(c) Mumford Plantation in North Carolina.
(d) Stratford Plantation in Virginia.
3. What are Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife forced to do while in jail?
(a) Be completely silent.
(b) Make clothing for the Confederate Army.
(c) Sit in a dark room all day long.
(d) Manual labor.
4. What is Alexander quickly set up as in his new regiment because of his education and ability?
(a) A lieutenant.
(b) A courier.
(c) A sergeant.
(d) A cook.
5. Where does Catesby tell Samuel he should send someone to get his son who has been wounded in battle?
(a) Wilson's Hotel.
(b) Viewmont Hotel.
(c) Jackson's Hotel.
(d) Crafton's Hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money is the slave that Silas's nephew had sex with being sold for?
2. What is the name of the hospital that Duncan is staying at after his injuries in Part III, Chapter 32?
3. What are most of the people at the gathering at the governor's mansion?
4. What is the name of Samuel Gatewood's other slave who is also planning to run away?
5. What is the name of the school that Uther Botkin's daughter attends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Uther Botkin obtain his property that he now lives on?
2. What does Sallie pray for while working at the hospital in Part III, Chapter 30?
3. Why does one of the surgeons, James Lane, ask that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
4. What does a superior officer say to Duncan and his fellow cadets after they rush to get their weapons and regain their honor when the Union cadets pick a fight with them?
5. Why does Jesse keep trying to run away from the Stratford Plantation?
6. In Part III, Chapter 28, how does Maggie, now known as Marguerite, feel about her life with Silas?
7. What does the judge sentence Sallie and Alexander to for being abolitionists?
8. Why is the woman at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 1, traveling the countryside?
9. Why did Sallie marry Alexander Kirkpatrick in a hasty marriage?
10. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)