|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Silas's nephew offer the slave for sex?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Two bits.
(c) One bit.
(d) Two dollars.
2. Where is the penitentiary that Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife are being sent to?
3. Who arrives at the hospital to visit Duncan and apologizes for his melancholy attitude?
4. In the letter that he writes from camp, where does Catesby urge his wife to stay?
(a) At Uther Botkin's place.
(b) In Lexington with his family.
(c) Hidden in the woods.
(d) At Stratford with her family.
5. Why does the surgeon in Part III, Chapter 28, insist that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
(a) He cannot be certain he will not intentionally harm them.
(b) He wants them to all die.
(c) He is too tired to work.
(d) He is too emotionally upset to work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the essay that Samuel Gatewood writes in Part I, Chapter 13?
2. What does Catesby agree to on his final bet?
3. Where is the battle that Catesby and Samuel Gatewood's son are fighting in Part II, Chapter 19?
4. The woman traveling the countryside meets up with a woman named Miss Marguerite. What story does she begin telling her?
5. What is the name of Silas's nephew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catesby write to his wife Leona about from Camp Bartow, Virginia?
2. What happens to Duncan during the big battle at McDowell?
3. Why is the woman at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 1, traveling the countryside?
4. While Sallie is working at the hospital, what does a young soldier ask Sallie to do for him?
5. What happens to Duncan Gatewood when the storm, Cox's Snow, hits?
6. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
7. What does the judge sentence Sallie and Alexander to for being abolitionists?
8. Why did Sallie marry Alexander Kirkpatrick in a hasty marriage?
9. What happens to Alexander during his first time in battle?
10. Why does one of the surgeons, James Lane, ask that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)