|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife tell a young solider who asks if he is going to die?
(a) The he will survive.
(b) That she does not know.
(c) That he will not live through the night.
(d) That he needs not to worry about it.
2. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife pray for because it sometimes slows the number of wounded arriving at the hospital?
(a) Less men joining the army.
(b) The Confederates to win more battles.
(c) Winter storms.
(d) Spring rains.
3. What is Alexander quickly set up as in his new regiment because of his education and ability?
(a) A sergeant.
(b) A cook.
(c) A courier.
(d) A lieutenant.
4. Marguerite is interviewed by a girl from the WPA. Why are the girl's boss and father criticizing the amount of time she spends with Marguerite?
(a) They do not like that she's a mulatto.
(b) They both say the story that Marguerite is telling is untrue.
(c) Because she is a slave.
(d) Because she is a prostitute.
5. After his essay in Part I, Chapter 13, whom does Samuel Gatewood try to convince to stop running away?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Duncan and Catesby during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
2. What is the name of the house that Silas arrives at where there is prostitution and evening entertainment?
3. The woman traveling the countryside meets up with a woman named Miss Marguerite. What story does she begin telling her?
4. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. Where does the story take place?
5. What are woman like Marguerite known as at the governor's party?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part III, Chapter 28, how does Maggie, now known as Marguerite, feel about her life with Silas?
2. What does Abigail's Cousin Molly bring Sallie when she comes to visit her in jail?
3. What does a superior officer say to Duncan and his fellow cadets after they rush to get their weapons and regain their honor when the Union cadets pick a fight with them?
4. While Sallie is working at the hospital, what does a young soldier ask Sallie to do for him?
5. How do Rufus and Jesse escape Stratford Plantation?
6. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
7. What does Catesby write to his wife Leona about from Camp Bartow, Virginia?
8. Why is the woman at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 1, traveling the countryside?
9. How did Uther Botkin obtain his property that he now lives on?
10. What happens at the military institute, where Duncan is present to hear a speech, which causes a fight?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)