|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a Confederate solider tell Rufus and Jesse before shooting Rufus in the chest?
(a) That he is lower than dirt.
(b) That they are going to die.
(c) That he will be punished for running away.
(d) That Abraham Lincoln has made the Emancipation Proclamation.
2. As the story opens, what is the young woman traveling the countryside in search of?
(a) Those who remember her great-grandmother.
(b) Those who remember the days of slavery.
(c) Those who remember her great-grandfather.
(d) Those who remember the days of the Civil War.
3. What do some of Samuel's slaves offer to help Uther Botkin's slave with?
(a) The summer planting.
(b) The winter planting.
(c) The fall planting.
(d) The spring planting.
4. Why does Marguerite not want to have another baby?
(a) She wants to ensure that Silas will love Jacob as his own.
(b) She wants to ensure that Duncan will love Jacob as his own.
(c) She wants to ensure that Jesse will love Jacob as his own.
(d) She wants to ensure that Samuel will love Jacob as his own.
5. By whom is the woman traveling the countryside in Part I, Chapter 1, employed?
(a) Remembering Our Past Project.
(b) Moving Forward Organization.
(c) United America Administration.
(d) Works Progress Administration.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catesby writes a letter to his wife in Part III, Chapter 32. What does he tell her has happened to Duncan?
2. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife pray for because it sometimes slows the number of wounded arriving at the hospital?
3. What did Uther Botkin inherit?
4. What happens to Duncan's horse during a battle in Chancellorsville, Virginia?
5. What happens when Alexander is sent to deliver a message to a particular group about to be hemmed in during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a superior officer say to Duncan and his fellow cadets after they rush to get their weapons and regain their honor when the Union cadets pick a fight with them?
2. What was Miss Marguerite's name in 1857?
3. Why is the woman at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 1, traveling the countryside?
4. While attending church, what does Opal beg Jack to do for her?
5. What does Ellam Omohundru do with Maggie in Part I, Chapter 10?
6. Why does one of the surgeons, James Lane, ask that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
7. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
8. How much money is Silas going to sell Maggie for as incentive for Ellam to treat her with some respect until time for the sale?
9. Why is Alexander called into the office of the acting keeping at the penitentiary in Part II, Chapter 18?
10. What happens the third time that Jesse tries to run away from the Stratford Plantation?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)