|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. Where does the story take place?
(a) Stratford Plantation in Virginia.
(b) Mumford Plantation in North Carolina.
(c) Gatewood Plantation in South Carolina.
(d) O'Hara Plantation in Mississippi.
2. What does Alexander tell Samuel Gatewood's son he claimed so he could be assigned to his regiment?
(a) That they are half-brothers.
(b) That he is his son.
(c) That they are cousins.
(d) That they are brothers.
3. As the story opens, what is the young woman traveling the countryside in search of?
(a) Those who remember the days of the Civil War.
(b) Those who remember her great-grandmother.
(c) Those who remember her great-grandfather.
(d) Those who remember the days of slavery.
4. How many years does the judge sentence Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to serve in jail?
5. Where is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife sent to work after she is released from jail?
(a) A military hospital in Williamsburg, Virginia.
(b) A military hospital in Charleston, South Carolina.
(c) A military hospital in Richmond, Virginia.
(d) A military hospital in Lexington, Virginia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the horse that Duncan has had since he was a child?
2. What are Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife forced to do while in jail?
3. Years ago, what name was Miss Marguerite known by?
4. Catesby writes a letter to his wife in Part III, Chapter 32. What does he tell her has happened to Duncan?
5. Why does the surgeon in Part III, Chapter 28, insist that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jesse's new job in Part III, Chapter 31, at the hospital?
2. What does Silas do to Ellam when he learns of his treatment of Maggie?
3. What happens to Duncan's horse, Gypsy, during the battle in Chancellorsville?
4. What does Ellam Omohundru do with Maggie in Part I, Chapter 10?
5. What happens to Duncan Gatewood when the storm, Cox's Snow, hits?
6. What happens to Duncan during the big battle at McDowell?
7. What does Sallie pray for while working at the hospital in Part III, Chapter 30?
8. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
9. While attending church, what does Opal beg Jack to do for her?
10. What happens the third time that Jesse tries to run away from the Stratford Plantation?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)