|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanies Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to the jail after they are sentenced?
(b) Uther Botkin.
(c) The warden and his wife.
(d) Samuel Gatewood.
2. While at the military institute listening to a speech, what does Samuel Gatewood's son see happen to a Union flagpole?
(a) It is torn down.
(b) It is waved around while everyone cheers.
(c) The pole is set on fire and the flag is burned.
(d) It breaks, sending the flag crashing to the ground.
3. Why does a judge sentence Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to jail?
(a) For being abolitionists.
(b) For stealing money.
(c) For the mistreatment of slaves.
(d) For killing someone.
4. After traveling to where the slaves are held, with whom does Silas's nephew have sex?
5. What does Catesby and a fellow soldier do when a Union soldier stumbles into their camp?
(a) They take him as a prisoner.
(b) They fight him and he runs off.
(c) They tell the boy to return the way he came.
(d) They kill him.
Short Answer Questions
1. After dumping piles of used bandages into a pit, how many patients does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife tell the surgeon he has waiting for the day?
2. What is the name of the surgeon who receives a telegram that makes him cry?
3. What is the name of the camp that Catesby sends his wife a letter from in Part II, Chapter 14?
4. Who visits Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife in jail?
5. What does the visitor bring Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife while visiting her in jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
2. What was Miss Marguerite's name in 1857?
3. What happens to Duncan Gatewood when the storm, Cox's Snow, hits?
4. What does the judge sentence Sallie and Alexander to for being abolitionists?
5. Why does one of the surgeons, James Lane, ask that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
6. How is Alexander assigned to Duncan's regiment?
7. What is Jesse's new job in Part III, Chapter 31, at the hospital?
8. What does a superior officer say to Duncan and his fellow cadets after they rush to get their weapons and regain their honor when the Union cadets pick a fight with them?
9. What happens to Alexander during his first time in battle?
10. What does Abigail's Cousin Molly bring Sallie when she comes to visit her in jail?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)