|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. When does the story take place?
(a) February 22, 1858.
(b) January 22, 1857.
(c) April 22, 1856.
(d) March 22, 1859.
2. What is the name of Catesby Byrd's wife?
3. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife wish she had done before she was sentenced to jail?
(a) Ran away.
(b) Put up more of a fight.
(c) Killed herself.
(d) Pleaded for mercy.
4. As the story opens, what is the young woman traveling the countryside in search of?
(a) Those who remember the days of the Civil War.
(b) Those who remember her great-grandmother.
(c) Those who remember the days of slavery.
(d) Those who remember her great-grandfather.
5. Where does Catesby tell Samuel he should send someone to get his son who has been wounded in battle?
(a) Viewmont Hotel.
(b) Crafton's Hotel.
(c) Jackson's Hotel.
(d) Wilson's Hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Samuel Gatewood struggling with in Chapter 25?
2. By whom is the woman traveling the countryside in Part I, Chapter 1, employed?
3. What happens to Duncan and Catesby during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
4. Whom does Uther Botkin's slave wish could help her with the planting, but can't because he is in jail?
5. After traveling to where the slaves are held, with whom does Silas's nephew have sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Silas do to Ellam when he learns of his treatment of Maggie?
2. Why did Sallie marry Alexander Kirkpatrick in a hasty marriage?
3. What does Sallie pray for while working at the hospital in Part III, Chapter 30?
4. What does Abigail's Cousin Molly bring Sallie when she comes to visit her in jail?
5. What does the judge sentence Sallie and Alexander to for being abolitionists?
6. What does the prison keeper tell Sallie about Alexander during one of her visits with Cousin Molly?
7. What happens the third time that Jesse tries to run away from the Stratford Plantation?
8. What happens to Alexander during his first time in battle?
9. Why is Alexander called into the office of the acting keeping at the penitentiary in Part II, Chapter 18?
10. While Sallie is working at the hospital, what does a young soldier ask Sallie to do for him?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)