|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapters Fourteen through Twenty-Seven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Samuel Gatewood's slave trying to run away?
(a) He is trying to find Maggie.
(b) He is trying to find Rita.
(c) He is trying to find Sallie.
(d) He is trying to find Martha.
2. What is the name of Uther Botkin's daughter?
3. What do some of Samuel's slaves offer to help Uther Botkin's slave with?
(a) The summer planting.
(b) The fall planting.
(c) The spring planting.
(d) The winter planting.
4. As the story opens, what is the young woman traveling the countryside in search of?
(a) Those who remember her great-grandfather.
(b) Those who remember the days of the Civil War.
(c) Those who remember the days of slavery.
(d) Those who remember her great-grandmother.
5. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. Where does the story take place?
(a) Stratford Plantation in Virginia.
(b) Mumford Plantation in North Carolina.
(c) O'Hara Plantation in Mississippi.
(d) Gatewood Plantation in South Carolina.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a Confederate solider tell Rufus and Jesse before shooting Rufus in the chest?
2. What does Catesby and a fellow soldier do when a Union soldier stumbles into their camp?
3. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
4. What is the name of Catesby Byrd's wife?
5. Where does Catesby tell Samuel he should send someone to get his son who has been wounded in battle?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)