|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapters Fourteen through Twenty-Seven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What property does Samuel Gatewood own?
(a) Stratford Plantation.
(b) O'Hara Plantation.
(c) Gatewood Plantation.
(d) Mumford Plantation.
2. Why is Samuel Gatewood's slave trying to run away?
(a) He is trying to find Maggie.
(b) He is trying to find Sallie.
(c) He is trying to find Rita.
(d) He is trying to find Martha.
3. At the hospital that she works at, Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife has to dump piles of used bandages into a pit. What else does she see inside the pit?
(a) Piles of rotting human flesh.
(b) Hundreds of boots.
(c) Piles of torn up clothing.
(d) Piles of human heads.
4. Why does a judge sentence Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to jail?
(a) For the mistreatment of slaves.
(b) For being abolitionists.
(c) For killing someone.
(d) For stealing money.
5. As the story opens, what is the young woman traveling the countryside in search of?
(a) Those who remember her great-grandfather.
(b) Those who remember the days of slavery.
(c) Those who remember the days of the Civil War.
(d) Those who remember her great-grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the penitentiary that Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife are being sent to?
2. How do Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife get to the jail after being sentenced?
3. Who harbors a runaway slave in Part I, Chapter 7?
4. What is Samuel Gatewood struggling with in Chapter 25?
5. Where is the battle that Catesby and Samuel Gatewood's son are fighting in Part II, Chapter 19?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)