|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapters Eight through Thirteen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the essay that Samuel Gatewood writes in Part I, Chapter 13?
(a) Remarks by a Plantation Owner.
(b) Remarks by a Southern Abolitionist.
(c) Remarks by a Mountain Agriculturalist.
(d) Remarks by a Slave Trader.
2. What do some of Samuel's slaves offer to help Uther Botkin's slave with?
(a) The spring planting.
(b) The fall planting.
(c) The winter planting.
(d) The summer planting.
3. As the story opens, what is the young woman traveling the countryside in search of?
(a) Those who remember her great-grandmother.
(b) Those who remember the days of slavery.
(c) Those who remember her great-grandfather.
(d) Those who remember the days of the Civil War.
4. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. When does the story take place?
(a) April 22, 1856.
(b) January 22, 1857.
(c) February 22, 1858.
(d) March 22, 1859.
5. Years ago, what name was Miss Marguerite known by?
Short Answer Questions
1. While trying to find shelter from the big storm, whom does Samuel's son find inside a barn?
2. Where is the penitentiary that Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife are being sent to?
3. While at the military institute listening to a speech, what does Samuel Gatewood's son see happen to a Union flagpole?
4. What is the name of the school that Uther Botkin's daughter attends?
5. Whom does Samuel Gatewood purchase from Uther Botkin?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)