* A young woman travels the countryside in search of those who remember the days of slavery.
* The young woman hears several people talking about the storm known as Cox's Snow.
* The young woman meets up with a woman named Miss Marguerite, who begins telling her story.
* Miss Marguerite begins telling about Cox's Snow at Stratford Plantation in Virginia on January 22, 1857.
* Miss Marguerite was known as Midge in those days.
* Uther Botkin is a poor sixty-five-year-old man who has property bordering the Stratford Plantation left to him by a relative.
* Uther Botkin is married to Martha, who is unhealthy.
* Uther and Martha Botkin have a slave "boy" named Jesse.
* Martha Botkin gives birth to a daughter, Sallie, and dies six months later.
* Samuel Gatewood, owner of Stratford Plantation, sends Opal to help at Uther's farm.
* Duncan Gatewood is away from home when the...
This section contains 2,225 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)