Part I: Chapters One through Seven
• A young woman travels the countryside in search of those who remember the days of slavery.
• The young woman hears several people talking about the storm known as Cox's Snow.
• The young woman meets up with a woman named Miss Marguerite, who begins telling her story.
• Miss Marguerite begins telling about Cox's Snow at Stratford Plantation in Virginia on January 22, 1857.
• Miss Marguerite was known as Midge in those days.
• Uther Botkin is a poor sixty-five-year-old man who has property bordering the Stratford Plantation left to him by a relative.
• Uther Botkin is married to Martha, who is unhealthy.
• Uther and Martha Botkin have a slave "boy" named Jesse.
• Martha Botkin gives birth to a daughter, Sallie, and dies six months later.
• Samuel Gatewood, owner of Stratford Plantation, sends Opal to help at Uther's farm.
• Duncan Gatewood is away from home when the...
This section contains 2,442 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)