|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to block Mike Hanlon's call to the hospital after Henry Bowers attacks him?
2. Why does Beverly go to the dump when she returns to the clubhouse before the others?
3. Who did Patrick Hockstetter kill when he was in kindergarten?
4. What causes Bill to remember his father's warning that it is easy to get lost in the tunnels in 1958?
5. What do the members of the Losers Club bring with them to their late night meeting at the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Ritual of Chud.
2. How do the Losers respond when Henry is killed?
3. What happens when Mike brings his father's photo album to the clubhouse?
4. Describe Bill Denbrough's encounter with Georgie in the tunnels.
5. How does It die, and who kills It?
6. Where did Henry receive his switchblade knife and what does he use it for?
7. Describe the vision Bill Denbrough has when he is battling It telepathically.
8. How does Mike identify the beginning and end of the cycle described in the Third Interlude?
9. Describe the Indian ritual that the Losers decide to try and where they complete the ritual.
10. How is the Bradley Gang killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people place a lot of weight on names. In the book, Claud Heroux serves almost as a vigilante figure, killing those who have committed crimes against the innocent. Do you think his name, which could be pronounced "hero," is earned? Do you think this name was given intentionally for this reason? Do you think Heroux can be seen as a hero in the novel? Why or why not? Support your response with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The children build a clubhouse under the ground, covering it with grass strips so that it cannot be found. What does the idea of a clubhouse mean? Do you think having a place to meet brought the children closer together? Explore ideas of place and space to define how the clubhouse is used in the novel. What value do the Losers place on the clubhouse?
Essay Topic 3
Patrick Hockstetter is a sociopath, Beverly Marsh marries an abusive man, and Mike Hanlon is determined to get the group back together to conquer It once and for all. Each of the characters not only has physical characteristics that identify them, but also a set of emotional or mental characteristics. Select any character from the novel and explore the psychology behind their behavior. If you use technical information, make sure to research your claims and cite all of your sources.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)