|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes so frightened by the photo album Mike brings that he slams the book closed and becomes hysterical.
2. Where are Ben Hanscom and Beverly Marsh when the book ends?
3. Where does Mike Hanlon first see Henry after the meeting is adjourned in the library?
4. Where is Mike Hanlon when the novel ends?
5. During a flashback in chapter 13, where is Mike Hanlon headed when Henry Bowers begins to chase him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Eddie's attempt to escape from Henry after he leaves the grocery store where he spent his allowance.
2. Where did Henry receive his switchblade knife and what does he use it for?
3. Why do the Losers all go to 29 Neibolt Street together and what do they find?
4. Why does the pharmacist pull Eddie into his office and what does he tell him?
5. Describe the vision that Richie has as a result of the Indian ritual?
6. Describe the clubhouse that the Losers build.
7. How does It die, and who kills It?
8. Why and how did Patrick Hockstetter kill his infant brother when he was in kindergarten?
9. What happens when Audra first wakes up from her nightmare in the hotel room and how does she react?
10. Who is at the dump when Beverly goes there alone to practice her slingshot and what does she see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several scenes from the novel take place inside of the library. What scenes take place here? Why do they take place here? What significance does the library have? What does the library represent? Do we see an exchange of ideas in the library? Is the library filled with knowledge or with evil? Are they different?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Bill Denbrough comes across the concept of a glamour, a character that appears to people according to their imaginations. Write an essay explaining how the idea of the glamour is explored in the novel. Why do you think the word "glamour" is mentioned so few times in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, there is an emphasis on hate crimes and crimes of discrimination. Adrian is attacked because he is a homosexual. The Black Spot is burned down by members of what seem to be the KKK. And, Beverly is abused by her husband, presumably because he believes that women have their place. Explain the connections between hate crimes in the novel. How is discrimination played out? Why do you think King chose to use these themes within his novel?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)