|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the nightclub called that was on the Derry military base and only for the colored men?
2. What is Patricia Uris doing when Stanley gets the call from Mike?
3. When Bill Denbrough goes to the pharmacy, why does he have to write his request down instead of saying it?
4. Where do the members of the Losers Club first meet up when they return to Derry as adults?
5. Which of the following characters does not help build the dam across the flood waters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the death rate of Derry compare to that of other cities?
2. How does Mike describe Derry in his diary?
3. What is Juniper Hill and what character resides there?
4. Describe Ben's reaction to seeing Henry at the movies.
5. Where does Ben go on his walking tour and what is his experience?
6. Why was the Black Spot created?
7. What reason does the author speculate might be why Bill wanted the bike (Silver)?
8. Describe the first confrontation the young men have with Adrian.
9. What do the fortune cookies the waitress brings at the local restaurant have inside?
10. Why does Georgie go inside to talk to Bill and why isn't Bill outside playing with Georgie in the flood waters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people place a lot of weight on names. In the book, Claud Heroux serves almost as a vigilante figure, killing those who have committed crimes against the innocent. Do you think his name, which could be pronounced "hero," is earned? Do you think this name was given intentionally for this reason? Do you think Heroux can be seen as a hero in the novel? Why or why not? Support your response with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, there is an emphasis on hate crimes and crimes of discrimination. Adrian is attacked because he is a homosexual. The Black Spot is burned down by members of what seem to be the KKK. And, Beverly is abused by her husband, presumably because he believes that women have their place. Explain the connections between hate crimes in the novel. How is discrimination played out? Why do you think King chose to use these themes within his novel?
Essay Topic 3
Mike Hanlon reaches the conclusion, when explaining the attacks at the Silver Dollar, that adults are not able to process the events happening in Derry. Why does he come to this conclusion? Reading the novel, do you come to the same conclusion? What makes children and adults process things differently? Have adults given up on the ability to overcome evil?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)