|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Bill Denbrough tell the boys after they have completed the dam?
2. What does Beverly Marsh shove down the drain in her bathroom?
3. What does Georgie Denbrough see when he reaches down to retrieve the boat?
4. Which of the following characters does not help build the dam across the flood waters?
5. During their first meeting back in town, what does Mike Hanlon point out that is similar among all surviving members of the Losers Club?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Eddie Kaspbrask's reaction to the phone call he receives from Mike Hanlon?
2. How are the events surrounding Adrian's death at the canal handled by the police and the community?
3. Where does Ben go on his walking tour and what is his experience?
4. What story does Bill tell the other boys at the dam and how do they respond?
5. What do Eddie and Bill build together and where do they build it?
6. How does Mike describe Derry in his diary?
7. How does the death rate of Derry compare to that of other cities?
8. Describe what happens when Bill looks through Georgie's photo album.
9. Describe how Ben Hanscom reacts to Mike Hanlon's phone call.
10. When Eddie is at the field where the children used to play baseball, he sees someone pop up to grab a baseball that has appeared. Who is this person and who does the person change into?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Various crimes are described in the novel. How do you think crimes are connected to It? Explain the connections between the crimes of people and the evil of It.
Essay Topic 2
The children build a clubhouse under the ground, covering it with grass strips so that it cannot be found. What does the idea of a clubhouse mean? Do you think having a place to meet brought the children closer together? Explore ideas of place and space to define how the clubhouse is used in the novel. What value do the Losers place on the clubhouse?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, there is an emphasis on hate crimes and crimes of discrimination. Adrian is attacked because he is a homosexual. The Black Spot is burned down by members of what seem to be the KKK. And, Beverly is abused by her husband, presumably because he believes that women have their place. Explain the connections between hate crimes in the novel. How is discrimination played out? Why do you think King chose to use these themes within his novel?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)