|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cannot see the blood in the drain?
2. Where has Henry Bowers been staying since 1958?
3. What does Georgie Denbrough try to build?
4. What story does Eddie Kaspbrak tell the other boys after they have completed the dam?
5. What is Patricia Uris doing when Stanley gets the call from Mike?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Ben Hanscom reacts to Mike Hanlon's phone call.
2. How does the death rate of Derry compare to that of other cities?
3. What happens when Beverly calls out to the voices she hears in the drain and how does she react?
4. Describe what happens when Bill looks through Georgie's photo album.
5. What do the fortune cookies the waitress brings at the local restaurant have inside?
6. What is the subject of the movies the Richie, Ben, and Beverly see? What does Richie see in the house on Neibolt Street? Are these connected?
7. Describe Ben's reaction to seeing Henry at the movies.
8. Describe what the young men and Adrian's lover see at the canal side and what the police office thinks they saw.
9. How does Georgie die and who kills him?
10. Describe similarities in the lives of the Losers Club members as adults.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, each of the characters sees their own manifestations of the character of It. Write an essay describing why the depictions of It vary between characters. Consider why this is significant. Many of the characters do see the clown, Pennywise, and he actually appears in some of the photographs. How do the different depictions vary? Is one depiction more real than another? Make sure to cite examples from the book to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
When Stan is contacted by Mike Hanlon to join the group in Derry, he ends the phone call, walks up stairs, and kills himself. Write an essay describing the significance of Stan's suicide in the novel. How do you think this suicide plays into the novel? Is it significant that not all of the Losers Club can meet in 1985? What does Stan's suicide foreshadow about the rest of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Many people place a lot of weight on names. In the book, Claud Heroux serves almost as a vigilante figure, killing those who have committed crimes against the innocent. Do you think his name, which could be pronounced "hero," is earned? Do you think this name was given intentionally for this reason? Do you think Heroux can be seen as a hero in the novel? Why or why not? Support your response with evidence from the book.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)