|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Derry, amongst which segment of the population is the death rate highest?
2. What does Stan Uris do when he becomes locked in the Standpipe?
3. Who tried to call for help when the young men come back and start beating up Adrian?
4. Which of the following is not a phenomenon that citizens of Derry have reported to Mike Hanlon?
5. What does Georgie Denbrough try to build?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the young men and Adrian's lover see at the canal side and what the police office thinks they saw.
2. How does Georgie die and who kills him?
3. Why is Adrian confronted for his "I love Derry" hat?
4. What does Tom do to Kay to try to persuade her to tell him where Beverly went? What is her breaking point?
5. Describe similarities in the lives of the Losers Club members as adults.
6. What is the subject of the movies the Richie, Ben, and Beverly see? What does Richie see in the house on Neibolt Street? Are these connected?
7. Why does Georgie go inside to talk to Bill and why isn't Bill outside playing with Georgie in the flood waters?
8. Describe what happens at the Black Spot in 1930 according to Mike's diary entry.
9. Why was the Black Spot created?
10. Why does Ben run away from Henry on the last day of school and what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often in novels, authors use one or more of the characters to argue their own viewpoints. What character or set of characters do you think that King uses to communicate his own viewpoints? Is there a specific character that can be defined as Stephen King?
Essay Topic 2
Several scenes from the novel take place inside of the library. What scenes take place here? Why do they take place here? What significance does the library have? What does the library represent? Do we see an exchange of ideas in the library? Is the library filled with knowledge or with evil? Are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the idea of the Losers Club. Why is it named the Losers Club? How do the members of this club personify the name? How do they serve as contrasting figures to the name Losers? Why do you think Stephen King chose to use the name Losers Club in the novel? What type of first impression does this name give? With what does the Losers Club become synonymous?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)