Part 1: Chapter 1 | Part 1: Chapter 2
• Sam and her uncle, Emmett, and her grandmother, Mamaw, are on a road trip together.
• Mamaw is excited and nervous to be so far away from home and fusses with the geraniums in the back seat.
• Sam has bought the car they are riding in from Tom Hudson.
• Sam, Emmett, and Mawmaw have Irene's credit card.
• The transmission in the car is getting worse.
Part 1: Chapter 3 | Part 1: Chapter 4
• Sam, Emmett, and Mawmaw eat at Howard Johnson's.
• Mawmaw says the chicken is tough.
• They get to Maryland and the transmission goes out.
• They stay at a Holiday Inn.
• Sam is dreading getting to Washington.
Part 2: Chapter 1 | Part 2: Chapter 2
• When Emmett returned from the war, he brought hippies back to Hopewell.
• He flew the Viet Cong flag from the courthouse tower.
• Sam's mother has moved to Lexington with her new husband whom Sam calls Lorenzo Jones...
This section contains 1,670 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)