|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me," what aspect of fashion trends did Bombeck discuss?
2. What would amaze Bombeck about the game shows?
3. In "Illegal Possession of Junk Food," what would Bombeck sell on a trial basis to trick kids into eating better?
4. What did Bombeck once claim she would be if she did not emphasize the truthfulness in recounting her son's bad habits?
5. What did Bombeck believe a baby should be allowed to decide?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the subtle subversions in Bombeck's writing. Points to consider include her subjects, the time in which she wrote these essays, and her handling of serious matters in a light-hearted manner. Also, analyze how these attitudes are reflected in her children as they grow up and how her messages were affected by her success and national syndication. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is important to note about Bombeck's portrayal of different people, including her family, in her essays ? Discuss how her handling of these people reveal not only her love and respect, but her views on society. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about "Are You Listening?" Discuss the action of this story, as well as Bombeck's reasoning for sharing her experiences, despite her admittedly less than patient behavior. Discuss this essay by comparing it to different circumstances which showcase Bombeck's admitted fallibility with being a patient person and how she hoped to spread her learned lesson to her readers. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)