Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me," what aspect of fashion trends did Bombeck discuss?
2. What would amaze Bombeck about the game shows?
3. In "Illegal Possession of Junk Food," what would Bombeck sell on a trial basis to trick kids into eating better?
4. What did Bombeck once claim she would be if she did not emphasize the truthfulness in recounting her son's bad habits?
5. What did Bombeck believe a baby should be allowed to decide?
Essay Topic 1
Using the themes of survival and worry (as discussed in "White Socks in a Pantyhose World), discuss Bombeck's outlook on life and society. Consider how she utilized these themes in her writing and how she handled her feelings of hysteria when feeling out-of-place in the world. Focus as well on the role of her children when considering the latter. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay that discusses the evolution of Bombeck's writing using "If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments. Discuss the changes in the technical aspects of her writing, her subject matter, and how her opinions did or did not change on certain topics throughout the years. Do not focus on these topics exclusively. In this essay, creating an outline to guide your work will be helpful.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bombeck in relationship to feminism in the following format:
Part 1) The time period in which she wrote.
Part 2) Bombeck's liberation of the stereotyped housewife.
Part 3) Her relationship to her mother and daughter.
Part 4) Fashions and trends.
Part 5) Respect.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)