|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me," what aspect of fashion trends did Bombeck discuss?
2. What would amaze Bombeck about the game shows?
3. In "Illegal Possession of Junk Food," what would Bombeck sell on a trial basis to trick kids into eating better?
4. What did Bombeck once claim she would be if she did not emphasize the truthfulness in recounting her son's bad habits?
5. What did Bombeck believe a baby should be allowed to decide?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bombeck in relationship to feminism in the following format:
Part 1) The time period in which she wrote.
Part 2) Bombeck's liberation of the stereotyped housewife.
Part 3) Her relationship to her mother and daughter.
Part 4) Fashions and trends.
Part 5) Respect.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Bombeck's persona. Focus on her neuroses, intelligence, and how she claimed to have been frequently perplexed by her family and society. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bombeck's use of observational humor in "If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" Focus particularly on her anecdotes about her family and how she feels particularly confused by certain trends and ideas in society.
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)