Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me," what aspect of fashion trends did Bombeck discuss?
2. What would amaze Bombeck about the game shows?
3. In "Illegal Possession of Junk Food," what would Bombeck sell on a trial basis to trick kids into eating better?
4. What did Bombeck once claim she would be if she did not emphasize the truthfulness in recounting her son's bad habits?
5. What did Bombeck believe a baby should be allowed to decide?
Compose a brief essay that details Bombeck's relationship with her children. Draw upon several of her essays for inspiration, while connecting one theme and idea to another (for example, her sons' personal hygiene to her discussions with them about putting away their laundry). Discuss how their relationships change and evolve, while discussing how they remain rooted in love and respect.
Discuss the subtle subversions in Bombeck's writing. Points to consider include her subjects, the time in which she wrote these essays, and her handling of serious matters in a light-hearted manner. Also, analyze how these attitudes are reflected in her children as they grow up and how her messages were affected by her success and national syndication. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Discuss Bombeck in relationship to feminism in the following format:
Part 1) The time period in which she wrote.
Part 2) Bombeck's liberation of the stereotyped housewife.
Part 3) Her relationship to her mother and daughter.
Part 4) Fashions and trends.
Part 5) Respect.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)