|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impressed Bombeck most about contestant's knowledge?
2. What did Bombeck claim to do when she saw her daughter's ears were pierced?
3. In "Constitutionality of Drive-in Windows," which of the following is not one of the places Bombeck listed as examples of when to use a drive-through window?
4. What was Bombeck unable to find when her son needed a particular object to return to school?
5. What did Bombeck once claim she would be if she did not emphasize the truthfulness in recounting her son's bad habits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impressed Bombeck most about the women on game shows?
2. What is significant about Bombeck's discovery of false eyelashes in purses from her mother?
3. Describe "Things My Mother Taught Me" and how it made Bombeck feel.
4. How did Bombeck sum up her theories on the future of game show contestants in her theoretical game show?
5. For what reasons was Bombeck always self-conscious about using the drive-in at a bank?
6. For what reasons did Bombeck decide that there should be two versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"
7. How did Bombeck's husband humorously skewer the idealization of her analogy in "How to Speak Child Fluently"?
8. In "Warning: Families May Be Dangerous To Your Health," what were signs that Bombeck's son was growing up?
9. What was the story behind the note in "Warning: Families May Be Dangerous To Your Healthy."
10. What are some parts of "A Baby's Bill of Rights?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bombeck's relationship with her readers in the following format:
Part 1) Honesty and candor in writing.
Part 2) Discussion of universal truths amongst parents.
Part 3) Treating others with complete respect.
Part 4) Characterizing herself as confused.
Part 5) Practicing and discussing issues of morality and acceptance.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Using the themes of survival and worry (as discussed in "White Socks in a Pantyhose World), discuss Bombeck's outlook on life and society. Consider how she utilized these themes in her writing and how she handled her feelings of hysteria when feeling out-of-place in the world. Focus as well on the role of her children when considering the latter. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss aspects of Bombeck's writing techniques in the following format:
Part 1) Exaggeration.
Part 2) Subversion of cliches.
Part 3) Analogies.
Part 4) Nostalgia without the saccharine undertones.
Part 5) Honesty.
Compose a strong thesis and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)