|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a fad listed by Bombed as trends that she knew would soon go away?
2. To what does Bombeck compare children in "How to Speak Child Fluently?"
3. What did Bombeck's son cite specifically as being an article of clothing he wears several times before washing it?
4. Where did Bombeck find the dried French fry in "Warning: Families May Be Dangerous To Your Health?"
5. What did Bombeck cite as something that should never be considered "an act of war?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In Bombeck's theoretical game show, what would lead to the winning contestant winning a mink coat?
2. What is significant about Bombeck's discovery of false eyelashes in purses from her mother?
3. Why was Bombeck always consistently cold in "The Right to Declare War?"
4. What are some parts of "A Baby's Bill of Rights?"
5. What were some trends Bombeck hoped were on the way out and how did she admit to ultimately feeling about certain fads?
6. What are some of the fashions Bombeck discusses in "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me"?
7. What prank did Bombeck's husband play on her in "Register Camera Nuts" and how did she react?
8. For what reasons did Bombeck decide that there should be two versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"
9. In "Joe Carter's Jubilance and Excitement Seminar," what are some of Bombeck's five aspects of decorum?
10. How did Bombeck's husband humorously skewer the idealization of her analogy in "How to Speak Child Fluently"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bombeck's ability to transcend the stereotypes of the housewife and her methods of celebrating the position. It would be helpful to compare her earlier essays to her later essays. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay discussing Bombeck's reliance on her humor to understand and comfort herself through different periods in her life. Focus on how it is related to her self-characterization as a perpetually confused naif, her children growing up, and her relationship to her readers. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about "Are You Listening?" Discuss the action of this story, as well as Bombeck's reasoning for sharing her experiences, despite her admittedly less than patient behavior. Discuss this essay by comparing it to different circumstances which showcase Bombeck's admitted fallibility with being a patient person and how she hoped to spread her learned lesson to her readers. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)