|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what would Bombeck find remnants of in handbags from her mother?
2. What impressed Bombeck most about contestant's knowledge?
3. What did Bombeck's son cite specifically as being an article of clothing he wears several times before washing it?
4. What did Bombeck's son believe would happen if he followed his mother's wishes in "Search and Seizure Rights in the Laundry Room?"
5. Why would Bombeck have felt self-conscious during "Constitutionality of Drive-in Windows?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Bombeck's husband humorously skewer the idealization of her analogy in "How to Speak Child Fluently"?
2. What is significant about Bombeck's discovery of false eyelashes in purses from her mother?
3. What are some parts of "A Baby's Bill of Rights?"
4. What was Bombeck's plan to get children to eat healthier in "Illegal Possession of Junk Food?"
5. Discuss Bombeck's analogy of children in "How to Speak Child Fluently."
6. In Bombeck's theoretical game show, what would lead to the winning contestant winning a mink coat?
7. For what reasons did Jackie believe game shows were bad for people?
8. What were Bombeck's beliefs about kissing?
9. What are some of the fashions Bombeck discusses in "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me"?
10. For what reasons did Bombeck decide that there should be two versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Bombeck's success as a columnist was directly tied to the time period in which she wrote. Analyze the criticism she faced for her gender and seeming lack of feminism. Develop a clear thesis statement in order to discuss these questions and cite specific examples from the text to help support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bombeck's ability to transcend the stereotypes of the housewife and her methods of celebrating the position. It would be helpful to compare her earlier essays to her later essays. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write a brief essay that details Bombeck's relationship to the media. Discuss her ideas on game shows, magazine articles that raise expectations for working parents, and different trends. Conversely, discuss her ironic reliance on the media to allow her work to be heard.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)