|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "How to Speak Child Fluently," where had one of Bombeck's children crashed a car?
2. What did Bombeck believe a baby should be allowed to decide?
3. To what does Bombeck compare children in "How to Speak Child Fluently?"
4. Of what was the "fanny sweater" an example in "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me"?
5. Where did Bombeck feel particularly self-conscious in "Constitutionality of Drive-in Windows?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay that discusses the evolution of Bombeck's writing using "If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments. Discuss the changes in the technical aspects of her writing, her subject matter, and how her opinions did or did not change on certain topics throughout the years. Do not focus on these topics exclusively. In this essay, creating an outline to guide your work will be helpful.
Essay Topic 2
Using the themes of survival and worry (as discussed in "White Socks in a Pantyhose World), discuss Bombeck's outlook on life and society. Consider how she utilized these themes in her writing and how she handled her feelings of hysteria when feeling out-of-place in the world. Focus as well on the role of her children when considering the latter. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write a brief essay that details Bombeck's relationship to the media. Discuss her ideas on game shows, magazine articles that raise expectations for working parents, and different trends. Conversely, discuss her ironic reliance on the media to allow her work to be heard.
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)