|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what was the "fanny sweater" an example in "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me"?
2. In "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me," what aspect of fashion trends did Bombeck discuss?
3. What did Bombeck's child need in order to come home from college in "How to Speak Child Fluently?"
4. For how many meals did Bombeck's son claim to have capacity?
5. In "Kissing By Mutual Ratification," what is not one of the items listed as object for which a person should watch?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reasons did Bombeck decide that there should be two versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"
2. For what reasons did Jackie believe game shows were bad for people?
3. What were Bombeck's observations in regards to shopping carts?
4. What was Bombeck's plan to get children to eat healthier in "Illegal Possession of Junk Food?"
5. Describe "Things My Mother Taught Me" and how it made Bombeck feel.
6. What is "Inspector 56?"
7. What are some parts of "A Baby's Bill of Rights?"
8. Why was Bombeck's son resistant to putting away his clean laundry?
9. What are some of the fashions Bombeck discusses in "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me"?
10. What were Bombeck's beliefs about kissing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay discussing Bombeck's reliance on her humor to understand and comfort herself through different periods in her life. Focus on how it is related to her self-characterization as a perpetually confused naif, her children growing up, and her relationship to her readers. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about "Are You Listening?" Discuss the action of this story, as well as Bombeck's reasoning for sharing her experiences, despite her admittedly less than patient behavior. Discuss this essay by comparing it to different circumstances which showcase Bombeck's admitted fallibility with being a patient person and how she hoped to spread her learned lesson to her readers. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bombeck's emphasis on honesty and candor at all times in the following format:
Part 1) Portrayals of her family.
Part 2) The artifice of game shows, plus the intrusion of the media.
Part 3) The confessional feel of "Are You Listening?"
Part 4) Her use of exaggeration in conjunction to her honesty.
Part 5) Her stance on aging and beauty.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)