|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Kissing By Mutual Ratification," what is not one of the items listed as object for which a person should watch?
2. What did Bombeck's son cite specifically as being an article of clothing he wears several times before washing it?
3. What did Bombeck discover about her son's return to school in "Warning: Families May Be Dangerous To Your Health?"
4. When must a game show contestant "stay on [their] feet?"
5. Where would the winning contestant's trip take them in Bombeck's game show scenario?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Bombeck's son resistant to putting away his clean laundry?
2. What impressed Bombeck most about the women on game shows?
3. For what reasons was Bombeck always self-conscious about using the drive-in at a bank?
4. Why was Bombeck always consistently cold in "The Right to Declare War?"
5. What were Bombeck's beliefs about kissing?
6. What are some parts of "A Baby's Bill of Rights?"
7. What are some of the fashions Bombeck discusses in "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me"?
8. What was Bombeck's plan to get children to eat healthier in "Illegal Possession of Junk Food?"
9. For what reasons did Bombeck decide that there should be two versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"
10. What is significant about Bombeck's discovery of false eyelashes in purses from her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay discussing Bombeck's reliance on her humor to understand and comfort herself through different periods in her life. Focus on how it is related to her self-characterization as a perpetually confused naif, her children growing up, and her relationship to her readers. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay on Bombeck's observations about the passage of time. Include her feelings on a quickly-moving society, the ephemeral natures of fads, and her beliefs about beauty coming with experience. Relate these ideas back to her outlook on recording her observations with candor and humor. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about "Are You Listening?" Discuss the action of this story, as well as Bombeck's reasoning for sharing her experiences, despite her admittedly less than patient behavior. Discuss this essay by comparing it to different circumstances which showcase Bombeck's admitted fallibility with being a patient person and how she hoped to spread her learned lesson to her readers. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)