|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bombeck's husband think of her analogy in "How to Speak Child Fluently?"
2. In "Illegal Possession of Junk Food," what would Bombeck sell on a trial basis to trick kids into eating better?
3. What sort of bikini was a trend in "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me"?
4. Of what would Bombeck find remnants of in handbags from her mother?
5. When "[staggering] the IRS men", what would a winning game show contestant be carrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Bombeck's discovery of false eyelashes in purses from her mother?
2. What was Bombeck's plan to get children to eat healthier in "Illegal Possession of Junk Food?"
3. What prank did Bombeck's husband play on her in "Register Camera Nuts" and how did she react?
4. Describe two parts of Bombeck's vacation laws.
5. For what reasons did Bombeck decide that there should be two versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"
6. What were Bombeck's beliefs about kissing?
7. In Bombeck's theoretical game show, what would lead to the winning contestant winning a mink coat?
8. For what reasons was Bombeck always self-conscious about using the drive-in at a bank?
9. What are some parts of "A Baby's Bill of Rights?"
10. In "Joe Carter's Jubilance and Excitement Seminar," what are some of Bombeck's five aspects of decorum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay on Bombeck's observations about the passage of time. Include her feelings on a quickly-moving society, the ephemeral natures of fads, and her beliefs about beauty coming with experience. Relate these ideas back to her outlook on recording her observations with candor and humor. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay that discusses the evolution of Bombeck's writing using "If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments. Discuss the changes in the technical aspects of her writing, her subject matter, and how her opinions did or did not change on certain topics throughout the years. Do not focus on these topics exclusively. In this essay, creating an outline to guide your work will be helpful.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about "Are You Listening?" Discuss the action of this story, as well as Bombeck's reasoning for sharing her experiences, despite her admittedly less than patient behavior. Discuss this essay by comparing it to different circumstances which showcase Bombeck's admitted fallibility with being a patient person and how she hoped to spread her learned lesson to her readers. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)