|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bombeck once note about the features of a shopping cart?
2. Of what was the "fanny sweater" an example in "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me"?
3. What did Bombeck cite as something that should never be considered "an act of war?"
4. What space flight did Bombeck mention in "Gametime?"
5. In "Constitutionality of Drive-in Windows," what did Bombeck decide she would rather do as opposed to getting out of her car?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Bombeck's theoretical game show, what would lead to the winning contestant winning a mink coat?
2. What were some trends Bombeck hoped were on the way out and how did she admit to ultimately feeling about certain fads?
3. What are some of the fashions Bombeck discusses in "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me"?
4. What are some parts of "A Baby's Bill of Rights?"
5. What was Bombeck's plan to get children to eat healthier in "Illegal Possession of Junk Food?"
6. Describe two parts of Bombeck's vacation laws.
7. How did Bombeck sum up her theories on the future of game show contestants in her theoretical game show?
8. Discuss Bombeck's analogy of children in "How to Speak Child Fluently."
9. What were Bombeck's beliefs about kissing?
10. What were Bombeck's observations in regards to shopping carts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss aspects of Bombeck's writing techniques in the following format:
Part 1) Exaggeration.
Part 2) Subversion of cliches.
Part 3) Analogies.
Part 4) Nostalgia without the saccharine undertones.
Part 5) Honesty.
Compose a strong thesis and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bombeck's emphasis on honesty and candor at all times in the following format:
Part 1) Portrayals of her family.
Part 2) The artifice of game shows, plus the intrusion of the media.
Part 3) The confessional feel of "Are You Listening?"
Part 4) Her use of exaggeration in conjunction to her honesty.
Part 5) Her stance on aging and beauty.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay relating Bombeck's annoyance at the overabundance of technologies and conveniences to her values of honesty and morality. Create a clear thesis on this subject while using strong examples from the text to support your answers and conclusions.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)