|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bombeck, what was notable about using a shopping cart?
2. What did Bombeck's son believe would happen if he followed his mother's wishes in "Search and Seizure Rights in the Laundry Room?"
3. Why did Bombeck dislike several fashion trends?
4. Where did Bombeck find the pencil nub?
5. What impressed Bombeck most about contestant's knowledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some trends Bombeck hoped were on the way out and how did she admit to ultimately feeling about certain fads?
2. Describe "Things My Mother Taught Me" and how it made Bombeck feel.
3. For what reasons did Bombeck decide that there should be two versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"
4. For what reasons did Jackie believe game shows were bad for people?
5. In "Joe Carter's Jubilance and Excitement Seminar," what are some of Bombeck's five aspects of decorum?
6. What are some of the fashions Bombeck discusses in "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me"?
7. How did Bombeck sum up her theories on the future of game show contestants in her theoretical game show?
8. Discuss Bombeck's analogy of children in "How to Speak Child Fluently."
9. What impressed Bombeck most about the women on game shows?
10. What prank did Bombeck's husband play on her in "Register Camera Nuts" and how did she react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay that discusses the evolution of Bombeck's writing using "If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments. Discuss the changes in the technical aspects of her writing, her subject matter, and how her opinions did or did not change on certain topics throughout the years. Do not focus on these topics exclusively. In this essay, creating an outline to guide your work will be helpful.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bombeck in relationship to feminism in the following format:
Part 1) The time period in which she wrote.
Part 2) Bombeck's liberation of the stereotyped housewife.
Part 3) Her relationship to her mother and daughter.
Part 4) Fashions and trends.
Part 5) Respect.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
How did Bombeck's writing blend together different genres? Discuss this question by analyzing the different genres in which she delves for her writing. Be sure to use examples from essays spanning through several years of her career while being guided by a strong thesis statement.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)