|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impressed Bombeck most about contestant's knowledge?
2. What did Bombeck cite as something that should never be considered "an act of war?"
3. In "Illegal Possession of Junk Food," what would Bombeck sell on a trial basis to trick kids into eating better?
4. Of what would Bombeck find remnants of in handbags from her mother?
5. Who did Bombeck claim to have discovered as her clothing designer?
Essay Topic 1
Compose a brief essay that details Bombeck's relationship with her children. Draw upon several of her essays for inspiration, while connecting one theme and idea to another (for example, her sons' personal hygiene to her discussions with them about putting away their laundry). Discuss how their relationships change and evolve, while discussing how they remain rooted in love and respect.
Essay Topic 2
Using the themes of survival and worry (as discussed in "White Socks in a Pantyhose World), discuss Bombeck's outlook on life and society. Consider how she utilized these themes in her writing and how she handled her feelings of hysteria when feeling out-of-place in the world. Focus as well on the role of her children when considering the latter. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Bombeck's success as a columnist was directly tied to the time period in which she wrote. Analyze the criticism she faced for her gender and seeming lack of feminism. Develop a clear thesis statement in order to discuss these questions and cite specific examples from the text to help support your answers.
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)