|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Kissing By Mutual Ratification," what is not one of the items listed as object for which a person should watch?
2. What did Bombeck believe a baby should be allowed to decide?
3. What sort of shoes did Bombeck find particularly painful?
4. What did Bombeck predict as being the future of game show contestants?
5. How many versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner" did Bombeck decide should exist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the story behind the note in "Warning: Families May Be Dangerous To Your Healthy."
2. What are some of the fashions Bombeck discusses in "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me"?
3. What was Bombeck's plan to get children to eat healthier in "Illegal Possession of Junk Food?"
4. Why was Bombeck always consistently cold in "The Right to Declare War?"
5. For what reasons did Bombeck decide that there should be two versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"
6. What is significant about Bombeck's discovery of false eyelashes in purses from her mother?
7. What is "Inspector 56?"
8. Why was Bombeck's son resistant to putting away his clean laundry?
9. What prank did Bombeck's husband play on her in "Register Camera Nuts" and how did she react?
10. In "Joe Carter's Jubilance and Excitement Seminar," what are some of Bombeck's five aspects of decorum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the themes of survival and worry (as discussed in "White Socks in a Pantyhose World), discuss Bombeck's outlook on life and society. Consider how she utilized these themes in her writing and how she handled her feelings of hysteria when feeling out-of-place in the world. Focus as well on the role of her children when considering the latter. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bombeck's stance on holding respect for others in the following format:
Part 1) Respect between parents and children.
Part 2) A Baby's Bill of Rights.
Part 3) The artificiality of the media.
Part 4) The woman on the airplane in "Are You Listening?"
Part 5) Her relationships with her children, husband, and mother.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about "Are You Listening?" Discuss the action of this story, as well as Bombeck's reasoning for sharing her experiences, despite her admittedly less than patient behavior. Discuss this essay by comparing it to different circumstances which showcase Bombeck's admitted fallibility with being a patient person and how she hoped to spread her learned lesson to her readers. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)