|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Gametime," how long did Bombeck watch game shows?
2. What Washington bureaucrat did Bombeck decide she wanted to meeting in "Constitutionality of Drive-in Windows?"
3. According to "Are Family Vacations Legal," what was illegal in forty-seven states?
4. What did Bombeck's child need in order to come home from college in "How to Speak Child Fluently?"
5. In "Joe Carter's Jubilance and Excitement Seminar," how many aspects of decorum were listed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impressed Bombeck most about the women on game shows?
2. Discuss Bombeck's analogy of children in "How to Speak Child Fluently."
3. Why was Bombeck always consistently cold in "The Right to Declare War?"
4. In "Joe Carter's Jubilance and Excitement Seminar," what are some of Bombeck's five aspects of decorum?
5. For what reasons did Jackie believe game shows were bad for people?
6. How did Bombeck sum up her theories on the future of game show contestants in her theoretical game show?
7. What were Bombeck's observations in regards to shopping carts?
8. What was the story behind the note in "Warning: Families May Be Dangerous To Your Healthy."
9. What was Bombeck's plan to get children to eat healthier in "Illegal Possession of Junk Food?"
10. In Bombeck's theoretical game show, what would lead to the winning contestant winning a mink coat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a brief essay that details Bombeck's relationship to the media. Discuss her ideas on game shows, magazine articles that raise expectations for working parents, and different trends. Conversely, discuss her ironic reliance on the media to allow her work to be heard.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay relating Bombeck's annoyance at the overabundance of technologies and conveniences to her values of honesty and morality. Create a clear thesis on this subject while using strong examples from the text to support your answers and conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about "Are You Listening?" Discuss the action of this story, as well as Bombeck's reasoning for sharing her experiences, despite her admittedly less than patient behavior. Discuss this essay by comparing it to different circumstances which showcase Bombeck's admitted fallibility with being a patient person and how she hoped to spread her learned lesson to her readers. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)