|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Bombeck sarcastically refer to the restaurant they walked into in "The Right to Declare War?"
2. In Bombeck's son's example of his mother's lessons in logic, what would prevent a child from not being allowed to go to the store?
3. In Bombeck's analogy for children, why is their success bittersweet?
4. In "How to Speak Child Fluently," how did Bombeck feel about her son's paper?
5. Who did Bombeck claim to have discovered as her clothing designer?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reasons did Bombeck decide that there should be two versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"
2. Describe two parts of Bombeck's vacation laws.
3. What were some trends Bombeck hoped were on the way out and how did she admit to ultimately feeling about certain fads?
4. Discuss Bombeck's analogy of children in "How to Speak Child Fluently."
5. What was Bombeck's plan to get children to eat healthier in "Illegal Possession of Junk Food?"
6. What are some of the fashions Bombeck discusses in "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me"?
7. Describe "Things My Mother Taught Me" and how it made Bombeck feel.
8. For what reasons was Bombeck always self-conscious about using the drive-in at a bank?
9. How did Bombeck's husband humorously skewer the idealization of her analogy in "How to Speak Child Fluently"?
10. What are some parts of "A Baby's Bill of Rights?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Bombeck's success as a columnist was directly tied to the time period in which she wrote. Analyze the criticism she faced for her gender and seeming lack of feminism. Develop a clear thesis statement in order to discuss these questions and cite specific examples from the text to help support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay relating Bombeck's annoyance at the overabundance of technologies and conveniences to her values of honesty and morality. Create a clear thesis on this subject while using strong examples from the text to support your answers and conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay that discusses the evolution of Bombeck's writing using "If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments. Discuss the changes in the technical aspects of her writing, her subject matter, and how her opinions did or did not change on certain topics throughout the years. Do not focus on these topics exclusively. In this essay, creating an outline to guide your work will be helpful.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)