|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reasons would one call legal aid on an exist ramp?
2. What did Bombeck once claim she would be if she did not emphasize the truthfulness in recounting her son's bad habits?
3. In "A Baby's Bill of Rights," for what offense would Bombeck assign a penalty?
4. When must a game show contestant "stay on [their] feet?"
5. Of what was the "fanny sweater" an example in "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Bombeck's beliefs about kissing?
2. What is "Inspector 56?"
3. For what reasons did Jackie believe game shows were bad for people?
4. For what reasons did Bombeck decide that there should be two versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"
5. What impressed Bombeck most about the women on game shows?
6. What was the story behind the note in "Warning: Families May Be Dangerous To Your Healthy."
7. Discuss Bombeck's analogy of children in "How to Speak Child Fluently."
8. What are some of the fashions Bombeck discusses in "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me"?
9. In Bombeck's theoretical game show, what would lead to the winning contestant winning a mink coat?
10. How did Bombeck sum up her theories on the future of game show contestants in her theoretical game show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss aspects of Bombeck's writing techniques in the following format:
Part 1) Exaggeration.
Part 2) Subversion of cliches.
Part 3) Analogies.
Part 4) Nostalgia without the saccharine undertones.
Part 5) Honesty.
Compose a strong thesis and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compose a brief essay that details Bombeck's relationship with her children. Draw upon several of her essays for inspiration, while connecting one theme and idea to another (for example, her sons' personal hygiene to her discussions with them about putting away their laundry). Discuss how their relationships change and evolve, while discussing how they remain rooted in love and respect.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bombeck's use of observational humor in "If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" Focus particularly on her anecdotes about her family and how she feels particularly confused by certain trends and ideas in society.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)