|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Joe Carter's Jubilance and Excitement Seminar," how many aspects of decorum were listed?
2. Of what was the "fanny sweater" an example in "Fashions and Fads that Underwhelmed Me"?
3. Where did Bombeck find the dried French fry in "Warning: Families May Be Dangerous To Your Health?"
4. What was Bombeck unable to find when her son needed a particular object to return to school?
5. In the theoretical game show scenario, what would the winning currency be?
Essay Topic 1
Write a brief essay that details Bombeck's relationship to the media. Discuss her ideas on game shows, magazine articles that raise expectations for working parents, and different trends. Conversely, discuss her ironic reliance on the media to allow her work to be heard.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bombeck's ability to transcend the stereotypes of the housewife and her methods of celebrating the position. It would be helpful to compare her earlier essays to her later essays. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Bombeck's success as a columnist was directly tied to the time period in which she wrote. Analyze the criticism she faced for her gender and seeming lack of feminism. Develop a clear thesis statement in order to discuss these questions and cite specific examples from the text to help support your answers.
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)