|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Bombeck begin to brown-nose her butcher?
2. According to Bombeck, what do children wrongly believe in "Haven't I Always Loved Whatshisname Best?"
3. What did Bombeck's mother ask for in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?" when Bombeck puts a halt to all of the action?
4. According to Bombeck in "Primer for Imaginative Children," what can food from the refrigerator not do?
5. How did Bombeck claim to use to help thaw out pork chops?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Bombeck, what was the result of the coffee boycott in 1942?
2. What was the purpose of the article about the female architect and how did it make Bombeck feel as a result?
3. What did Bombeck note as being the difference between her family and sitcom families in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?"
4. What does Bombeck hypothesize about the reasons so many marriages fail?
5. Who was Lionel?
6. In "Who Killed Apple Pie?", what does Bombeck say started to happen to housewives and what was the result?
7. What question did Bombeck discuss in "Mother Mystique" and what was her answer?
8. Describe some of the things that children must be aware of when staying home alone in "Primer for Imaginative Children."
9. What did Bombeck claim about remembering children's names in "Haven't I Always Loved Whatshisname Best?"
10. With what issue did Bombeck struggle in "The Varicose Open" and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Bombeck's writing blend together different genres? Discuss this question by analyzing the different genres in which she delves for her writing. Be sure to use examples from essays spanning through several years of her career while being guided by a strong thesis statement.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Bombeck's persona. Focus on her neuroses, intelligence, and how she claimed to have been frequently perplexed by her family and society. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is important to note about Bombeck's portrayal of different people, including her family, in her essays ? Discuss how her handling of these people reveal not only her love and respect, but her views on society. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)