|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bombeck attempt to recite in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV series?" that ended up not being funny?
2. In "White Socks in a Pantyhose World," what did Bombeck admit to being?
3. According to "White Socks in a Pantyhose World," why would the research rat have died of a heart attack?
4. What did most people tell Lorraine Suggs about her situation with her family?
5. What did Bombeck's children claim the adults would have problems managing in "Why Can't We Have Our Own Apartment?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the considerations Bombeck claimed children should think about before calling a parent at work?
2. According to Bombeck, what was the result of the coffee boycott in 1942?
3. In "Who Killed Apple Pie?", what does Bombeck say started to happen to housewives and what was the result?
4. In "White Socks in a Pantyhose World," what did Bombeck worry about?
5. What question did Bombeck discuss in "Mother Mystique" and what was her answer?
6. Describe Bombeck's humor.
7. What was the purpose of the article about the female architect and how did it make Bombeck feel as a result?
8. What were some of the snoring "cures" Bombeck considered for her husband?
9. What did Bombeck note as being the difference between her family and sitcom families in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?"
10. Discuss I. Dunno.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is important to note about Bombeck's portrayal of different people, including her family, in her essays ? Discuss how her handling of these people reveal not only her love and respect, but her views on society. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bombeck's stance on holding respect for others in the following format:
Part 1) Respect between parents and children.
Part 2) A Baby's Bill of Rights.
Part 3) The artificiality of the media.
Part 4) The woman on the airplane in "Are You Listening?"
Part 5) Her relationships with her children, husband, and mother.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bombeck's use of observational humor in "If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" Focus particularly on her anecdotes about her family and how she feels particularly confused by certain trends and ideas in society.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)