|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Bombeck and her husband wish to do in "Why Can't We Have Our Own Apartment?"
2. In "If You Thought the Wedding Was Bad," what was the problem not discussed that destroyed marriages?
3. What did Bombeck claim people only saw when discussing Tom Suggs and his career?
4. What realization did Bombeck have in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?"
5. According to her daughter's announcement, what was about to be made illegal because of a bill in Congress?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bombeck deal with a letter she forgot to mail to her sister in "The Unmailed Letter"?
2. What was Bombeck's plan to get children to eat healthier in "Illegal Possession of Junk Food?"
3. What was the story of the "hard rolls" in "Travel Is So Broadening I Bought a Maternity Dress To Wear Home"?
4. What were some of the considerations Bombeck claimed children should think about before calling a parent at work?
5. What was the story behind the note in "Warning: Families May Be Dangerous To Your Healthy."
6. Describe the beauty Bombeck saw in her mother in the essay, "Beauty."
7. In "Who Killed Apple Pie?", what does Bombeck say started to happen to housewives and what was the result?
8. What were some of the basic tasks that Bombeck's family were unable to perform in "Is There Life After Mine?"
9. In Bombeck's theoretical game show, what would lead to the winning contestant winning a mink coat?
10. Who is Lorraine Suggs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay relating Bombeck's annoyance at the overabundance of technologies and conveniences to her values of honesty and morality. Create a clear thesis on this subject while using strong examples from the text to support your answers and conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
How did Bombeck's writing blend together different genres? Discuss this question by analyzing the different genres in which she delves for her writing. Be sure to use examples from essays spanning through several years of her career while being guided by a strong thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Bombeck's persona. Focus on her neuroses, intelligence, and how she claimed to have been frequently perplexed by her family and society. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 2,174 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)