|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bombeck, what was not necessary for tennis?
2. What was Bombeck unable to secure for her family in "Who Killed Apple Pie?"
3. When her family mourned Bombeck's imaginary death in "Is There Life After Mine?" what did they regret the most?
4. According to Bombeck, what do children wrongly believe in "Haven't I Always Loved Whatshisname Best?"
5. What is the name of the little girl about whom Bombeck speaks in "Mother Mystique"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Joe Carter's Jubilance and Excitement Seminar," what are some of Bombeck's five aspects of decorum?
2. Discuss Bombeck's analogy of children in "How to Speak Child Fluently."
3. For what reasons did Jackie believe game shows were bad for people?
4. Describe Bombeck's humor.
5. What is "Inspector 56?"
6. For what reasons did Bombeck decide that there should be two versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"
7. What happens during the "Epilogue" that helps "If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" end on a humorous, yet nostalgic note?
8. Describe the beauty Bombeck saw in her mother in the essay, "Beauty."
9. For what reasons is "Mike and the Grass" a nostalgic, sad story?
10. How did Bombeck achieve lower costs with her butcher?
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay on Bombeck's observations about the passage of time. Include her feelings on a quickly-moving society, the ephemeral natures of fads, and her beliefs about beauty coming with experience. Relate these ideas back to her outlook on recording her observations with candor and humor. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
How did Bombeck's writing blend together different genres? Discuss this question by analyzing the different genres in which she delves for her writing. Be sure to use examples from essays spanning through several years of her career while being guided by a strong thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bombeck in relationship to feminism in the following format:
Part 1) The time period in which she wrote.
Part 2) Bombeck's liberation of the stereotyped housewife.
Part 3) Her relationship to her mother and daughter.
Part 4) Fashions and trends.
Part 5) Respect.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 2,081 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)