|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was "I. Dunno," according to Bombeck?
2. For what reasons did Bombeck want to recognize Lorraine Suggs as a mother?
3. Why did Bombeck begin to brown-nose her butcher?
4. According to Bombeck's list of guidelines that determine whether a child should call their parent at work, the amount of what substance ought to be evaluated to constitute an emergency?
5. Why did Bombeck want to recognize Tom Suggs in her column?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bombeck's reaction to her daughter's announcement about the bill in Congress in "Have a Good Day?"
2. According to "Primer for Imaginative Children," what had become the typical office's stance on doctor's appointments and surgeries?
3. What were some of the considerations Bombeck claimed children should think about before calling a parent at work?
4. Discuss I. Dunno.
5. In "Who Killed Apple Pie?", what does Bombeck say started to happen to housewives and what was the result?
6. What were some of the basic tasks that Bombeck's family were unable to perform in "Is There Life After Mine?"
7. Describe some of the things that children must be aware of when staying home alone in "Primer for Imaginative Children."
8. What did Bombeck note as being the difference between her family and sitcom families in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?"
9. What did Bombeck point out about people's perceptions of Tom and Lorraine Suggs?
10. What were some of the snoring "cures" Bombeck considered for her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the subtle subversions in Bombeck's writing. Points to consider include her subjects, the time in which she wrote these essays, and her handling of serious matters in a light-hearted manner. Also, analyze how these attitudes are reflected in her children as they grow up and how her messages were affected by her success and national syndication. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bombeck's use of observational humor in "If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" Focus particularly on her anecdotes about her family and how she feels particularly confused by certain trends and ideas in society.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Bombeck's success as a columnist was directly tied to the time period in which she wrote. Analyze the criticism she faced for her gender and seeming lack of feminism. Develop a clear thesis statement in order to discuss these questions and cite specific examples from the text to help support your answers.
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)