|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Who Killed Apple Pie?," what does Bombeck discuss as being no longer fulfilling for women?
2. What was Bombeck's reaction to her daughter's announcement about the bill in Congress during "Have a Good Day"?
3. What did most people tell Lorraine Suggs about her situation with her family?
4. How did Bombeck claim to use to help thaw out pork chops?
5. What literary genre is "Why Can't We Have Our Own Apartment?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bombeck claim about remembering children's names in "Haven't I Always Loved Whatshisname Best?"
2. With what issue did Bombeck struggle in "The Varicose Open" and why?
3. According to "If You Thought the Wedding Was Bad," what were some of the differences between men and women that should be discussed prior to the wedding?
4. Describe Bombeck's humor.
5. According to "Primer for Imaginative Children," what had become the typical office's stance on doctor's appointments and surgeries?
6. Discuss I. Dunno.
7. What were some of the snoring "cures" Bombeck considered for her husband?
8. In "White Socks in a Pantyhose World," what did Bombeck worry about?
9. What did Bombeck point out about people's perceptions of Tom and Lorraine Suggs?
10. Describe some of the things that children must be aware of when staying home alone in "Primer for Imaginative Children."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about "Are You Listening?" Discuss the action of this story, as well as Bombeck's reasoning for sharing her experiences, despite her admittedly less than patient behavior. Discuss this essay by comparing it to different circumstances which showcase Bombeck's admitted fallibility with being a patient person and how she hoped to spread her learned lesson to her readers. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
How did Bombeck's writing blend together different genres? Discuss this question by analyzing the different genres in which she delves for her writing. Be sure to use examples from essays spanning through several years of her career while being guided by a strong thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Using the themes of survival and worry (as discussed in "White Socks in a Pantyhose World), discuss Bombeck's outlook on life and society. Consider how she utilized these themes in her writing and how she handled her feelings of hysteria when feeling out-of-place in the world. Focus as well on the role of her children when considering the latter. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)