Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bombeck, what was not necessary for tennis?
2. What was Bombeck unable to secure for her family in "Who Killed Apple Pie?"
3. When her family mourned Bombeck's imaginary death in "Is There Life After Mine?" what did they regret the most?
4. According to Bombeck, what do children wrongly believe in "Haven't I Always Loved Whatshisname Best?"
5. What is the name of the little girl about whom Bombeck speaks in "Mother Mystique"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Joe Carter's Jubilance and Excitement Seminar," what are some of Bombeck's five aspects of decorum?
2. Discuss Bombeck's analogy of children in "How to Speak Child Fluently."
3. For what reasons did Jackie believe game shows were bad for people?
4. Describe Bombeck's humor.
5. What is "Inspector 56?"
6. For what reasons did Bombeck decide that there should be two versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"
7. What happens during the "Epilogue" that helps "If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" end on a humorous, yet nostalgic note?
8. Describe the beauty Bombeck saw in her mother in the essay, "Beauty."
9. For what reasons is "Mike and the Grass" a nostalgic, sad story?
10. How did Bombeck achieve lower costs with her butcher?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bombeck's relationship with her readers in the following format:
Part 1) Honesty and candor in writing.
Part 2) Discussion of universal truths amongst parents.
Part 3) Treating others with complete respect.
Part 4) Characterizing herself as confused.
Part 5) Practicing and discussing issues of morality and acceptance.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bombeck's use of observational humor in "If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" Focus particularly on her anecdotes about her family and how she feels particularly confused by certain trends and ideas in society.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bombeck's ability to transcend the stereotypes of the housewife and her methods of celebrating the position. It would be helpful to compare her earlier essays to her later essays. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)