|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did Bombeck's mother use that was closest to her actual name in "Haven't I Always Loved Whatshisname Best?"
2. What was the best way to stall in tennis by Bombeck's standards?
3. In "Who Killed Apple Pie?," what does Bombeck discuss as being no longer fulfilling for women?
4. Of what did Lorraine Suggs accuse her husband?
5. In "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?" what exists in order to break up the action of a piece?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "White Socks in a Pantyhose World," what did Bombeck worry about?
2. What did Bombeck claim about remembering children's names in "Haven't I Always Loved Whatshisname Best?"
3. According to "Primer for Imaginative Children," what had become the typical office's stance on doctor's appointments and surgeries?
4. What were some of the basic tasks that Bombeck's family were unable to perform in "Is There Life After Mine?"
5. What does Bombeck hypothesize about the reasons so many marriages fail?
6. Discuss I. Dunno.
7. Who was Lionel?
8. What was the purpose of the article about the female architect and how did it make Bombeck feel as a result?
9. Describe some of the things that children must be aware of when staying home alone in "Primer for Imaginative Children."
10. Who is Lorraine Suggs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay discussing Bombeck's reliance on her humor to understand and comfort herself through different periods in her life. Focus on how it is related to her self-characterization as a perpetually confused naif, her children growing up, and her relationship to her readers. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bombeck's ability to transcend the stereotypes of the housewife and her methods of celebrating the position. It would be helpful to compare her earlier essays to her later essays. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write a brief essay that details Bombeck's relationship to the media. Discuss her ideas on game shows, magazine articles that raise expectations for working parents, and different trends. Conversely, discuss her ironic reliance on the media to allow her work to be heard.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)