Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bombeck, what was not necessary for tennis?
2. What was Bombeck unable to secure for her family in "Who Killed Apple Pie?"
3. When her family mourned Bombeck's imaginary death in "Is There Life After Mine?" what did they regret the most?
4. According to Bombeck, what do children wrongly believe in "Haven't I Always Loved Whatshisname Best?"
5. What is the name of the little girl about whom Bombeck speaks in "Mother Mystique"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Joe Carter's Jubilance and Excitement Seminar," what are some of Bombeck's five aspects of decorum?
2. Discuss Bombeck's analogy of children in "How to Speak Child Fluently."
3. For what reasons did Jackie believe game shows were bad for people?
4. Describe Bombeck's humor.
5. What is "Inspector 56?"
6. For what reasons did Bombeck decide that there should be two versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"
7. What happens during the "Epilogue" that helps "If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" end on a humorous, yet nostalgic note?
8. Describe the beauty Bombeck saw in her mother in the essay, "Beauty."
9. For what reasons is "Mike and the Grass" a nostalgic, sad story?
10. How did Bombeck achieve lower costs with her butcher?
Compose an essay discussing Bombeck's reliance on her humor to understand and comfort herself through different periods in her life. Focus on how it is related to her self-characterization as a perpetually confused naif, her children growing up, and her relationship to her readers. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Discuss Bombeck's emphasis on honesty and candor at all times in the following format:
Part 1) Portrayals of her family.
Part 2) The artifice of game shows, plus the intrusion of the media.
Part 3) The confessional feel of "Are You Listening?"
Part 4) Her use of exaggeration in conjunction to her honesty.
Part 5) Her stance on aging and beauty.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Compose an essay that discusses the evolution of Bombeck's writing using "If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments. Discuss the changes in the technical aspects of her writing, her subject matter, and how her opinions did or did not change on certain topics throughout the years. Do not focus on these topics exclusively. In this essay, creating an outline to guide your work will be helpful.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)