|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did most people tell Lorraine Suggs about her situation with her family?
2. According to Bombeck in "Primer for Imaginative Children," what can food from the refrigerator not do?
3. What did Bombeck claim her husband sounded like in "If You Thought the Wedding Was Bad"?
4. In "White Socks in a Pantyhose World," what did Bombeck admit to being?
5. According to Bombeck, what was not necessary for tennis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the article about the female architect and how did it make Bombeck feel as a result?
2. What annoyances does Bombeck describe in "If You Thought the Wedding Was Bad?"
3. What were some of the snoring "cures" Bombeck considered for her husband?
4. According to "Primer for Imaginative Children," what had become the typical office's stance on doctor's appointments and surgeries?
5. With what issue did Bombeck struggle in "The Varicose Open" and why?
6. Describe Bombeck's humor.
7. In "White Socks in a Pantyhose World," what did Bombeck worry about?
8. What did Bombeck note as being the difference between her family and sitcom families in "Why Can't Our Average Little Family Get Their Own TV Series?"
9. Who was Lionel?
10. What does Bombeck hypothesize about the reasons so many marriages fail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bombeck's use of observational humor in "If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" Focus particularly on her anecdotes about her family and how she feels particularly confused by certain trends and ideas in society.
Essay Topic 2
How did Bombeck's writing blend together different genres? Discuss this question by analyzing the different genres in which she delves for her writing. Be sure to use examples from essays spanning through several years of her career while being guided by a strong thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about "Are You Listening?" Discuss the action of this story, as well as Bombeck's reasoning for sharing her experiences, despite her admittedly less than patient behavior. Discuss this essay by comparing it to different circumstances which showcase Bombeck's admitted fallibility with being a patient person and how she hoped to spread her learned lesson to her readers. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)