|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was "I. Dunno," according to Bombeck?
2. What was Bombeck's final pet peeve with her husband in "If You Thought the Wedding Was Bad"?
3. Why were operations discouraged in "Primer for the Imaginative Children?"
4. According to Bombeck, after driving the mother crazy, what would happen to the father if a child were to meet them at the door after work?
5. What name did Bombeck's mother use that was closest to her actual name in "Haven't I Always Loved Whatshisname Best?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bombeck's humor.
2. What were some of the basic tasks that Bombeck's family were unable to perform in "Is There Life After Mine?"
3. What were some of the considerations Bombeck claimed children should think about before calling a parent at work?
4. How did Bombeck achieve lower costs with her butcher?
5. What did Bombeck claim about remembering children's names in "Haven't I Always Loved Whatshisname Best?"
6. Describe some of the things that children must be aware of when staying home alone in "Primer for Imaginative Children."
7. In "Who Killed Apple Pie?", what does Bombeck say started to happen to housewives and what was the result?
8. What was Bombeck's reaction to her daughter's announcement about the bill in Congress in "Have a Good Day?"
9. According to Bombeck, what was the result of the coffee boycott in 1942?
10. What does Bombeck hypothesize about the reasons so many marriages fail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose a brief essay that details Bombeck's relationship with her children. Draw upon several of her essays for inspiration, while connecting one theme and idea to another (for example, her sons' personal hygiene to her discussions with them about putting away their laundry). Discuss how their relationships change and evolve, while discussing how they remain rooted in love and respect.
Essay Topic 2
How did Bombeck's writing blend together different genres? Discuss this question by analyzing the different genres in which she delves for her writing. Be sure to use examples from essays spanning through several years of her career while being guided by a strong thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Using the themes of survival and worry (as discussed in "White Socks in a Pantyhose World), discuss Bombeck's outlook on life and society. Consider how she utilized these themes in her writing and how she handled her feelings of hysteria when feeling out-of-place in the world. Focus as well on the role of her children when considering the latter. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)