|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would drive a mother crazy if the child were to meet that parent at the door with this?
2. For what reasons did Bombeck want to recognize Lorraine Suggs as a mother?
3. What was the best way to stall in tennis by Bombeck's standards?
4. According to "White Socks in a Pantyhose World," why would the research rat have died of a heart attack?
5. For what title would Bombeck like to have nominated Lorraine Suggs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Bombeck always consistently cold in "The Right to Declare War?"
2. Describe two parts of Bombeck's vacation laws.
3. What were Bombeck's observations in regards to shopping carts?
4. What annoyances does Bombeck describe in "If You Thought the Wedding Was Bad?"
5. For what reasons did Bombeck decide that there should be two versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"
6. Discuss Bombeck's analogy of children in "How to Speak Child Fluently."
7. For what reasons is "Mike and the Grass" a nostalgic, sad story?
8. What happens during the "Epilogue" that helps "If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" end on a humorous, yet nostalgic note?
9. Describe "Things My Mother Taught Me" and how it made Bombeck feel.
10. What did Bombeck claim about remembering children's names in "Haven't I Always Loved Whatshisname Best?"
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bombeck's use of observational humor in "If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" Focus particularly on her anecdotes about her family and how she feels particularly confused by certain trends and ideas in society.
Essay Topic 2
Using the themes of survival and worry (as discussed in "White Socks in a Pantyhose World), discuss Bombeck's outlook on life and society. Consider how she utilized these themes in her writing and how she handled her feelings of hysteria when feeling out-of-place in the world. Focus as well on the role of her children when considering the latter. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is important to note about Bombeck's portrayal of different people, including her family, in her essays ? Discuss how her handling of these people reveal not only her love and respect, but her views on society. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 2,154 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)