|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does Timothy K Thuan live?
2. What is the house in Virginia built on top of?
3. What is the name of the book Will brings with him on his solo exploration of the hallway?
4. How many matches does Will bring with him on the solo exploration of the hallway?
5. Which of the following body parts did Will lose due to frostbite?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the real estate agent react to Karen's decision to sell the home in Virginia?
2. What injuries has Will sustained in the hallway, and what happens to him after he is rescued from the hallway by Karen?
3. How does Will react to Reston's suggestion that he call "National Geographic" and let them take over the investigation of the hallway?
4. What did Johnny's mother write him a letter to apologize for?
5. During his solo exploration of the hallway, how far does Will travel every day?
6. How does Johnny learn that he wrote a book entitled "House of Leaves"?
7. How does Tom die?
8. Why does Karen call Fowler for support?
9. Before Karen arrives in Virginia in search of Will, how does he spend his days?
10. What happens when Johnny returns to work after missing nearly three weeks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The further Johnny gets into the writings of Zampano's trunk, the more his grip on reality begins to slip away. First, describe the physical changes Johnny undergoes while he is reading the writings from Zampano's trunk. Then, explain the mental changes Johnny undergoes during his reading. What grip do you think Zampano has on Johnny from the grave?
Essay Topic 2
Toward the end of the novel, Karen really begins to question her relationship with Will and wonders whether they will survive the tragedy they have seen. First, explain what events lead up to Karen's feeling distant from Will. Then, explain if you think Karen is justified in partaking in affairs while Will is away, and why. Finally, explain how Karen and Will finally find their ways back to one another with renewed spirits.
Essay Topic 3
All throughout the novel, Johnny has various sexual encounters with random women. First, describe at least two of the women Johnny finds himself in brief relationships with, and describe how each of these relationships end. Then, describe what seems to motivate Johnny in his pursuit of these women. What does he gain, or lose, in each conquest?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)