|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Karen calls for comfort, the man whom she once had an affair with?
2. How many weeks of work does Johnny miss without realizing it?
3. Which of the following body parts did Will lose due to frostbite?
4. Where does Johnny sleep when he moves to Flagstaff?
5. What does Johnny sleep next to for protection during his bad dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Johnny feel about the locket his mother sent to him?
2. What nightmare does Johnny frequently have that involves a frat boy?
3. How does the real estate agent react to Karen's decision to sell the home in Virginia?
4. Before Karen arrives in Virginia in search of Will, how does he spend his days?
5. How does Johnny respond to Thumper's invitation to come over for dinner?
6. What critique does Timothy K Thuan give of Will's photography?
7. Why does Karen call Fowler for support?
8. What did Johnny's mother write him a letter to apologize for?
9. How does Will pass the time in the hallway once his batteries have run out?
10. What are the only two reasons Johnny has for leaving his apartment after he slips into insanity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
About halfway through the novel, Will is forced to enter the hallway on a rescue mission. First, explain the circumstances leading up to Will's having to enter the mysterious hallways. Then, create a time line of events that occurs during Will's rescue mission. Finally, argue whether or not you think Will's rescue mission is successful, and explain why.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, different media are introduced with the name "House of Leaves": a short film, a book, a song. Why do you think Danielewski chose to give each of these artistic expressions the same name? How does each of these media tie together in the end? What, in your opinion, is the true House of Leaves?
Essay Topic 3
The further Johnny gets into the writings of Zampano's trunk, the more his grip on reality begins to slip away. First, describe the physical changes Johnny undergoes while he is reading the writings from Zampano's trunk. Then, explain the mental changes Johnny undergoes during his reading. What grip do you think Zampano has on Johnny from the grave?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)