|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the police officer react when he enters the hallway in search of Will?
2. How many owners has the house in Virginia had in the past 50 years?
3. What does Johnny use to insulate the walls of his apartment after he slips into insanity?
4. What is the name of the millionaire who throws a massive party on a boat that Johnny attends?
5. Which of the following characters is left behind when the staircase begins to stretch and the rope ladder snaps?
Short Essay Questions
1. What nightmare does Johnny frequently have that involves a frat boy?
2. During his solo exploration of the hallway, how far does Will travel every day?
3. What critique does Timothy K Thuan give of Will's photography?
4. How does Lude die?
5. What injuries has Will sustained in the hallway, and what happens to him after he is rescued from the hallway by Karen?
6. How does Johnny respond to Thumper's invitation to come over for dinner?
7. Before Karen arrives in Virginia in search of Will, how does he spend his days?
8. How does Will react to Reston's suggestion that he call "National Geographic" and let them take over the investigation of the hallway?
9. What happens when Johnny returns to work after missing nearly three weeks?
10. What prompts Chad's schoolteacher to knock on the Navidson's front door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the women Johnny meets at a bar, one is a porn star whom he describes as deformed. First, describe the physicality of the porn star and explain why Johnny calls her deformed. Then, explain the encounter Johnny has with the porn star as they walk back to her car, and what effect this incident has on him psychologically.
Essay Topic 2
Filmmaking is, arguably, the most important aspect of Will Navidson's life. First, describe the two movie trailers that opened the novel "House of Leaves." Why do you think Danielewski chose to open his novel this way, and how does this opening explain the character of Will Navidson? Then, explain how the opening trailers of the novel foreshadow what would be the themes of the text as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of the novel, Karen really begins to question her relationship with Will and wonders whether they will survive the tragedy they have seen. First, explain what events lead up to Karen's feeling distant from Will. Then, explain if you think Karen is justified in partaking in affairs while Will is away, and why. Finally, explain how Karen and Will finally find their ways back to one another with renewed spirits.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)