|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his solo exploration, how long does Will travel before finally reaching the giant staircase?
2. After having a dinner with Thumper, to what state does Johnny decide to move?
3. What is the house in Virginia built on top of?
4. How old was Johnny when his mother spilled hot oil on him?
5. What does Johnny call the hospital where he is staying when Lude dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the real estate agent react to Karen's decision to sell the home in Virginia?
2. How does Will react to Reston's suggestion that he call "National Geographic" and let them take over the investigation of the hallway?
3. How does Lude die?
4. What is the response to the shortened film Karen sends out to her friends and families?
5. How does Tom die?
6. How does Will get left behind after returning to the staircase in the hallway?
7. How does Will pass the time in the hallway once his batteries have run out?
8. Before Karen arrives in Virginia in search of Will, how does he spend his days?
9. What kind of life did Johnny live during the six months he stayed in Seattle?
10. How does Johnny feel about the locket his mother sent to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, different media are introduced with the name "House of Leaves": a short film, a book, a song. Why do you think Danielewski chose to give each of these artistic expressions the same name? How does each of these media tie together in the end? What, in your opinion, is the true House of Leaves?
Essay Topic 2
All throughout her life, Karen has struggled with debilitating claustrophobia. First, explain the events of Karen's childhood that left her with such a crippling fear. Then, explain at least two of the coping methods Karen has adopted to help her live with her claustrophobia. Finally, explain how the appearance of the mysterious hallway in her home brings about a relapse in Karen's claustrophobia.
Essay Topic 3
About halfway through the novel, Will is forced to enter the hallway on a rescue mission. First, explain the circumstances leading up to Will's having to enter the mysterious hallways. Then, create a time line of events that occurs during Will's rescue mission. Finally, argue whether or not you think Will's rescue mission is successful, and explain why.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)