|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day does Johnny finally call Thumper?
2. Which of the following men is NOT a member of the exploration team in Will's home?
3. When Thumper gives Johnny her number, how does Lude react?
4. Where does Johnny work?
5. What is Will doing in the hallway when the animals come running in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Echo, and what punishment was she given by Hera?
2. What images are splashed across the screen in the trailer for the film "Exploration #4"?
3. What does Will Navidson film when he and his family move into their new home on Ash Tree Lane?
4. How does Johnny feel while he is working at the tattoo parlor?
5. When Johnny is reading the contents of Zampano's trunk, what is revealed about Will's childhood?
6. What image does Johnny frequently have about Zampano's last hours?
7. How does Will find Wax and Jed, and what happens when he locates the men?
8. What does Karen dislike most about her relationship with Will?
9. How does the novel "House of Leaves" open?
10. What do the men discover about the hallway during their first exploration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of the Greek mountain nymph Echo is a story pervasive in this novel. First, explain the story of Echo in traditional Greek mythology. Then, explain how Echo's story relates to Will's story and the mystery of the house. Finally, discuss why you think Danielewski chose to include Echo's story in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Filmmaking is, arguably, the most important aspect of Will Navidson's life. First, describe the two movie trailers that opened the novel "House of Leaves." Why do you think Danielewski chose to open his novel this way, and how does this opening explain the character of Will Navidson? Then, explain how the opening trailers of the novel foreshadow what would be the themes of the text as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny Truant, like Will Navidson, is a man with a troubled childhood. First, describe Johnny's childhood as he remembers it throughout the novel. Then, explain why Johnny's childhood might have prompted his later obsession with the writings in Zampano's trunk. Finally, explain how the writings in Zampano's trunk help to give Johnny a deeper understanding of the childhood he survived.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)