|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Navidson reaches into the door at the end of the hallway, what does the air feel like?
2. Who is the first person Will calls when the mysterious construction occurs in his home?
3. What part about Will's life does his partner most disapprove of?
4. How many marks were found near Zampano's body?
5. Where is Karen when the explorers first arrive in her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a child, how did Johnny react to his father's sudden death?
2. How does Johnny react to his readings about Echo found in Zampano's trunk?
3. What do the men discover about the hallway during their first exploration?
4. What does Johnny write about when he writes about Thumper?
5. How does Holloway react after he accidentally shoots Wax in the armpit?
6. Who is Amber, and how does Johnny find her?
7. When Johnny is reading the contents of Zampano's trunk, what is revealed about Will's childhood?
8. What happens when Johnny takes the two thugs down to the ship to help them buy cheap merchandise for resale?
9. What happens when the Navidson animals run into the mysterious hallway in the home?
10. How does the novel "House of Leaves" open?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zampano is a mysterious character who creeps around Lude's apartment building. First, describe Zampano as Lude remembers him. Then, explain the mystery surrounding Zampano's death. Finally, explain how the contents of Zampano's trunk eventually unleash an obsession in Johnny Truant.
Essay Topic 2
There are two stories of twins in this novel, Tom and Will, and Jacob and Esau. First, describe the story of Jacob and Esau as it is described in this novel. Then, explain how the story of Jacob and Esau parallels the story of Tom and Will. Finally, explain how the idea of twinning becomes important in Will's understanding of the hallway.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny Truant, like Will Navidson, is a man with a troubled childhood. First, describe Johnny's childhood as he remembers it throughout the novel. Then, explain why Johnny's childhood might have prompted his later obsession with the writings in Zampano's trunk. Finally, explain how the writings in Zampano's trunk help to give Johnny a deeper understanding of the childhood he survived.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)