|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luther feel compelled to do as more nuns leave their orders?
2. From where does Luther believe salvation comes?
3. What is Luther's agrarian thought?
4. What does Luther think about politics?
5. What does Bainton suggest about the last quarter of Luther's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Luther's decision to marry.
2. How does Luther plan to leave Wartburg Castle?
3. What is Luther's stand on educating children?
4. What biases come out in Luther toward the end of his life?
5. Why are some things Luther says alarming to those who hear him?
6. What part do publications have in the first decade of the Reformation?
7. What is the risk of Luther's return to Wittenberg?
8. In what way is Luther the champion of the working class?
9. How does Luther manage to keep the interest in his preaching?
10. Describe the international impact of Martin Luther.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the changing attitudes toward religion today. Mention the decline in traditional church attendance and the rise of mega churches. State your opinion on why attitudes toward religion tend to change with the times.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of Roland Bainton's book, HERE I STAND. Discuss his organization, his use of literary devices, his objectivity, his research and scholarship. Conclude your critique with a recommendation for someone to read or avoid reading the book.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on doubt. Using Martin Luther as a starting point, discuss reasons for being unsure about God who has never been seen. Include how doubt is an essential element in finding one's personal beliefs.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)