|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children do Luther and Katherine care for?
2. Aside from religion, what does Bainton say Luther and the Reformation profoundly affected?
3. Why does Thomas Muntzer not concern himself with the struggle to get right with God?
4. How long does it take Luther to translate the New Testament into German?
5. What do the peasants and the princes think of Luther after the Peasant War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part do publications have in the first decade of the Reformation?
2. Who ascends to the papacy after Leon X?
3. What is the territorial inequity involving Catholics and Lutherans?
4. What two aspects of Luther's life give him comfort?
5. State simply Luther's position on good works.
6. Describe Luther's decision to marry.
7. Why are some things Luther says alarming to those who hear him?
8. Describe the international impact of Martin Luther.
9. What continually stays with Luther in regard to his faith?
10. What is the outcome of the Peasant War and how does Luther end up being viewed by the people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about religious tolerance. In your essay discuss how Luther wanted religious tolerance for his beliefs but demonstrated his own intolerance for Jews and others who disagreed with him. State your opinion about how religious tolerance can be achieved.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on male dominance during the Middle Ages. Specifically critique Luther's contention that females have large hips so they can sit around all day.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the power of religious hymns in worship. Discuss this topic from the standpoint of uplifting melodies and inspirational words. Compare Luther's hymns to Christian music today and how it is used in modern worship services.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)