|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the issuance of indulgences popular with the Pope?
2. How does Luther describe the idea that the Pope can deliver souls from purgatory?
3. What does Luther deny in the debate?
4. Finally, what authority does the Cum Postquam bestow upon the Pope?
5. What startling accusation does Luther make in the debate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the ninety-five theses get into the hands of the general public?
2. What steps are taken by the Vatican to justify trying Luther as a heretic?
3. What is the official church position on heresy?
4. What describes the stressful nature of Luther's relationship with his father?
5. How does Luther attempt to use the confessional?
6. Describe Luther's busy life in Wittenberg.
7. What is the objection to Luther's views on the mass?
8. How does Luther come to view God after studying the Scriptures?
9. Describe the daily prayer life in the monastery.
10. How does Melanchthon alter Luther's teaching after his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the power of religious hymns in worship. Discuss this topic from the standpoint of uplifting melodies and inspirational words. Compare Luther's hymns to Christian music today and how it is used in modern worship services.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Martin Luther's legacy to Protestantism in general. Discuss his impact on future religious thought by translating the Bible in the the German vernacular. Speculate on how difficult it might have been for other reformers if Luther had not come along.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about monasticism. Evaluate a life separate from the everyday world in terms of the good it does or does not do for the general population. Include Luther's saying that the Devil was quiet during his first year in the cloister. Give reasons that it is impossible for everyone to live in such isolation and whether you think that this kind of life actually does manage to avoid temptations.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)