|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Luther react to the canonists who burn his books?
2. How does Luther see the nature of man?
3. How does Luther affirm the forgiveness of sins?
4. How does Luther differ with the Catholic Church on the Eucharist?
5. What does Luther deny in the debate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Luther's struggle of faith after coming to Wittenberg.
2. What is the official church position on heresy?
3. How does Luther characterize the institution of the papacy?
4. Describe Luther's first years as a monk.
5. Where is Luther's first assignment outside of the cloister?
6. What are the divergent attitudes toward Luther during his lifetime?
7. What is the initial result of Luther's attacks on the practice of selling indulgences?
8. Describe the rigors of monastic life.
9. How do the ninety-five theses get into the hands of the general public?
10. How do Luther's beliefs undermine the role of priests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on how Martin Luther saw God in nature. In the paper point out how his early love of natural beauty of the world grew as he developed his theology. Give your opinion as to whether God can be observed in the natural world unless one first believes in God.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the right to religious freedom of worship. Also include the right to have no religious preference at all. Discuss in your essay the injustice of having religion inflicted by the government.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on doubt. Using Martin Luther as a starting point, discuss reasons for being unsure about God who has never been seen. Include how doubt is an essential element in finding one's personal beliefs.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)