|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Martin Luther explain his calling?
2. What do both Humanism and the Reformation do but for different reasons?
3. When are Luther's primary works delivered to the printer?
4. Why does Luther resume his University studies?
5. What does the Pope call Luther?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do Luther and Erasmus seem to be in accord?
2. List the major works of Luther while awaiting trial.
3. What is Luther's challenge to indulgences in his Ninety-five Theses he tacks to the door of Castle Church?
4. What is the central idea of the Renaissance?
5. While Luther is in hiding, what is happening in Wittenberg?
6. What does Luther maintain about interpreting Scripture?
7. What does Luther accomplish while in hiding at Wartburg Castle?
8. What is Luther's initial expectation about living as a monk?
9. How does Luther come to view God after studying the Scriptures?
10. What is Luther's response to the bull Exsurge Domine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the power of religious hymns in worship. Discuss this topic from the standpoint of uplifting melodies and inspirational words. Compare Luther's hymns to Christian music today and how it is used in modern worship services.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Martin Luther's legacy to Protestantism in general. Discuss his impact on future religious thought by translating the Bible in the the German vernacular. Speculate on how difficult it might have been for other reformers if Luther had not come along.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about monasticism. Evaluate a life separate from the everyday world in terms of the good it does or does not do for the general population. Include Luther's saying that the Devil was quiet during his first year in the cloister. Give reasons that it is impossible for everyone to live in such isolation and whether you think that this kind of life actually does manage to avoid temptations.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)