|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What books of the Bible does Luther use for his first lectures?
(a) Geneses, I John, and Revelation
(b) Proverbs, Mark, and Hebrews
(c) Psalms, Romans, and Galatians
(d) Matthew, Acts, and II Corinthians
2. What does Luther conclude that salvation cannot rest upon?
(a) on rituals of the church
(b) on human achievement
(c) on false hope offered by the Devil
(d) on the dictates of the Pope
3. From what is it that Luther insists no man can separate another?
(a) the love of Christ
(b) the right to the Eucharist
(c) the body and soul
(d) the judgment of God
4. With whom does Luther prepare to debate?
(a) John Eck
(b) Frederick the Wise
(c) the college of cardinals
(d) the Pope
5. How does Luther view confession?
(a) unnecessary and intrusive
(b) useful as long as it is not institutionalized
(c) only as a means of learning
(d) a means of controlling people
6. How does Luther see the nature of man?
(a) as ignorant
(b) as idle
(c) as corrupt
(d) as innocent
7. Who must decide where, when, and how to deal with Luther?
(a) Charles, the Roman Emperor and Catholic King of Spain
(b) Pope Leo X
(c) the Princes of Germany
(d) the College of Cardinals
8. What is Hans Luther's occupation?
(a) He works in the mines and owns six foundries.
(b) He is a green grocer.
(c) He is a teacher.
(d) He butchers sheep and pigs.
9. What is Luther's family's social status?
(c) middle class
10. Under what condition is Luther admitted into the monastery?
(a) one year's probation
(b) working as the monastery cook
(c) a large payment from his father
(d) wearing only street clothes
11. What is the commonly accepted belief about gaining the hereafter in Luther's Germany?
(a) monasticism as an excellent way to heaven
(b) self-study as an excellent way to heaven
(c) self-denial as an excellent way to heaven
(d) higher education as an excellent way to heaven
12. Why is the issuance of indulgences popular with the Pope?
(a) It is lucrative for the church.
(b) It is easy to do.
(c) It establishes his power.
(d) It ispires the people.
13. Where is Luther's trial transferred?
(a) from Germany to Spain
(b) from Rome to Germany
(c) from Germany to Rome
(d) from Rome to Jerusalem
14. For whom are Luther's ninety-five theses intended?
(a) the Pope only
(b) professional theologians
(c) university professors
(d) the masses of the people
15. What does Luther say about his first year of monastic life?
(a) The food was not enough.
(b) The work was easy.
(c) The cold was very difficult.
(d) The Devil is very quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luther contend makes a sacrament useless?
2. What is often characteristic of Luther's emotional stability?
3. When is the Papal bull "Cum Postquam" issued?
4. What does Luther deny?
5. When was Luther allowed to take his monastic vow?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)