|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Paris make his selection?
2. Persephone's father was also her what?
3. Where, in a woman's personality, might the goddess archetypes operate?
4. What did Persephone's kidnapper do to her?
5. Which goddess did the mortal man select as the winner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the goddesses as a result of Eris' trick?
2. What is suggested by the switch from the virgin goddesses to the vulnerable ones?
3. How does the author use a fiction novel as an example to illustrate her concept of the heroine?
4. What were Aphrodite's most important relationships?
5. What constitutes the nature of a heroine?
6. What role does grief play in the heroine's journey?
7. How do women often react to the story of Hera?
8. What is most important for Demeter women?
9. Aphrodite is the goddess of what?
10. What is Hera's position in the Olympian family of gods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author states that she uses the power of mythical figures because it helps her achieve better results with her patients. How do you think she deals with her patients who don't believe in these mythical figures? Are there any lessons learned, via the goddesses, that could also be learned without them? Why haven't more psychologists utilized Bolen's technique? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the vulnerable goddesses. What are their defining characteristics? What do they all have in common? What makes them different from one another? Which types of women identify with each goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The "circle of fear" is an obstacle for many women who have difficulty forming and maintaining relationships. What is the "circle of fear"? How does it affect women's ability to have relationships? Why is vulnerability a necessity for a healthy relationship? How can women begin to overcome this cycle? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)