|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first chapter about Aphrodite called?
2. Persephone had an extramarital affair with whom?
3. Who was the father of Demeter's child?
4. The author assumes that, for many readers, vulnerability is closely associated with what?
5. Which goddess did the mortal man select as the winner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Aphrodite's most important relationships?
2. Aside from her mother and her husband, what was Persephone's other major relationship?
3. What was Demeter's family situation?
4. How many chapters are devoted to Aphrodite?
5. What recommendations does the author make for avoiding and overcoming depression?
6. What were the benefits of the arrangement that Persephone makes?
7. What are some of the characteristics of a Hera woman?
8. What is Hera's position in the Olympian family of gods?
9. What happened when Persephone was kidnapped?
10. What happened to the goddesses as a result of Eris' trick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The "circle of fear" is an obstacle for many women who have difficulty forming and maintaining relationships. What is the "circle of fear"? How does it affect women's ability to have relationships? Why is vulnerability a necessity for a healthy relationship? How can women begin to overcome this cycle? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Persephone and Demeter have a very strong and intimate bond between them. What does Demeter do to get Persephone back after she is kidnapped? How does the separation affect Demeter and Persephone? How would a relationship like theirs manifest itself in modern society? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The author states that the goddesses are a great reminder for modern women who are pressured to succeed. Do you agree that using the goddesses as a reminder can help to prevent workaholism? How does awareness of the goddess archetypes help women to develop better relationships with their families and take better care of themselves? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)