|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Book 2, Chapter 7, having healthy relationships helps to prevent a woman from becoming what?
2. Hera reacted negatively to which of her husband's habits?
3. How does the author think women will feel about this set of goddesses as opposed to the last?
4. Where did Persephone's kidnapper take her?
5. How do Demeter women view marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the goddess Eris?
2. What happened when Persephone was kidnapped?
3. What is most important for Demeter women?
4. What is the "circle of fear"?
5. What is suggested by the switch from the virgin goddesses to the vulnerable ones?
6. Why are the goddesses great reminders, according to the author?
7. What role does grief play in the heroine's journey?
8. What was Demeter's family situation?
9. How does the author use a fiction novel as an example to illustrate her concept of the heroine?
10. Aside from her mother and her husband, what was Persephone's other major relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women have many different roles is modern society - worker, mother, wife, daughter, etc. Which of the goddesses are most closely associated with each of these roles? How can the goddess archetypes help women to better handle these roles? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The "circle of fear" is an obstacle for many women who have difficulty forming and maintaining relationships. What is the "circle of fear"? How does it affect women's ability to have relationships? Why is vulnerability a necessity for a healthy relationship? How can women begin to overcome this cycle? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The author states that therapy is a means of self-care and empowerment for women. Do you agree? What skills do women learn in therapy that enable them to better care for themselves? Is there any other way for them to learn these skills? Are there any circumstances in which therapy doesn't help? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)