|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the special ability or power of the goddesses in Book 2, Chapter 7?
2. According to the author, women often experience anxiety, or a sense of defeat, because of what?
3. Why is it easy, according to the author, to forgive Hera for not being "able to have full control over her own husband"?
4. According to the author, what initially inspires many heroines?
5. What is the title of Book 2, Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Demeter's family situation?
2. What are some of the characteristics of a Hera woman?
3. What were the benefits of the arrangement that Persephone makes?
4. What does the author say about the "special woman" in Book 2, Chapter 11?
5. What is the chief characteristic of the vulnerable goddesses?
6. What final arrangement was worked out between Persephone and her kidnapper?
7. What happened when Persephone was kidnapped?
8. What is most important for Demeter women?
9. What constitutes the nature of a heroine?
10. According to the author, how does a heroine handle self-sacrifice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Outwardly, Athena and Artemis have a lot in common: both are virgin goddesses, both are wise, both are goddesses of the hunt. What is different about the two? What different qualities would manifest in women who identified with each goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Hestia is the goddess of the hearth and of intergenerational family life. What is the symbolic significance of the hearth in ancient Grecian society? What is its practical purpose? What qualities does Hestia have, as the goddess of the hearth? Why does Hestia receive so many offerings? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Women have many different roles is modern society - worker, mother, wife, daughter, etc. Which of the goddesses are most closely associated with each of these roles? How can the goddess archetypes help women to better handle these roles? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)