|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author feels that the goddesses are a great reminder, especially for women in a generation where they were encouraged to do what?
2. How many generations of incestuous relationships are detailed in Greek mythology?
3. What is NOT a suggestion, made by author, for ways a Demeter woman can avoid depression?
4. According to Book 2, Chapter 7, having healthy relationships helps to prevent a woman from becoming what?
5. The author assumes that, for many readers, vulnerability is closely associated with what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women have many different roles is modern society - worker, mother, wife, daughter, etc. Which of the goddesses are most closely associated with each of these roles? How can the goddess archetypes help women to better handle these roles? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Aphrodite is the only goddess with two chapters devoted to her. Why does the author devote so much time to Aphrodite? Why is Aphrodite considered to be one of the most important goddesses? What areas of a woman's life are affected by the influence of Aphrodite? Why is Aphrodite called the "Alchemical Goddess"? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Outwardly, Athena and Artemis have a lot in common: both are virgin goddesses, both are wise, both are goddesses of the hunt. What is different about the two? What different qualities would manifest in women who identified with each goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)