|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many generations of incestuous relationships are detailed in Greek mythology?
2. What did Persephone's kidnapper do to her?
3. How is the union of Demeter and her mate described?
4. The author states that Aphrodite helps people come closer to what state?
5. Eris is the Greek goddess of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does grief play in the heroine's journey?
2. What is the "circle of fear"?
3. What does the author say about the "special woman" in Book 2, Chapter 11?
4. How was Demeter different from the other goddesses?
5. What is most important for Demeter women?
6. How many chapters are devoted to Aphrodite?
7. How do women often react to the story of Hera?
8. What is Hera's position in the Olympian family of gods?
9. What were the benefits of the arrangement that Persephone makes?
10. What is the chief characteristic of the vulnerable goddesses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author states that therapy is a means of self-care and empowerment for women. Do you agree? What skills do women learn in therapy that enable them to better care for themselves? Is there any other way for them to learn these skills? Are there any circumstances in which therapy doesn't help? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Aphrodite is the only goddess with two chapters devoted to her. Why does the author devote so much time to Aphrodite? Why is Aphrodite considered to be one of the most important goddesses? What areas of a woman's life are affected by the influence of Aphrodite? Why is Aphrodite called the "Alchemical Goddess"? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The "circle of fear" is an obstacle for many women who have difficulty forming and maintaining relationships. What is the "circle of fear"? How does it affect women's ability to have relationships? Why is vulnerability a necessity for a healthy relationship? How can women begin to overcome this cycle? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)