|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ordered Persephone's return?
2. The author assumes that, for many readers, vulnerability is closely associated with what?
3. Why did Hera get married?
4. In Book 2, Chapter 11, the author uses what prominent female as an example?
5. What is NOT a suggestion, made by author, for ways a Demeter woman can avoid depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the characteristics of a Hera woman?
2. What role does grief play in the heroine's journey?
3. What is the "circle of fear"?
4. What constitutes the nature of a heroine?
5. What is the chief characteristic of the vulnerable goddesses?
6. What recommendations does the author make for avoiding and overcoming depression?
7. What happened to the goddess Eris?
8. What happened to the goddesses as a result of Eris' trick?
9. Why are the goddesses great reminders, according to the author?
10. What is suggested by the switch from the virgin goddesses to the vulnerable ones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aphrodite is the only goddess with two chapters devoted to her. Why does the author devote so much time to Aphrodite? Why is Aphrodite considered to be one of the most important goddesses? What areas of a woman's life are affected by the influence of Aphrodite? Why is Aphrodite called the "Alchemical Goddess"? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The author points out that the maternal instinct can be triggered by one's own baby and by other women's babies; however, it is also possible to give birth to a baby and not feel maternal affection. How is the maternal instinct triggered? Is there a difference between the way a woman feels about another woman's baby and the way she feels about her own? Why don't some women have that instinct with their biological children? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the virgin goddesses. What are their defining characteristics? What do they all have in common? What makes them different from one another? Which types of women identify with each goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)