|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group of women might identify with Hera?
2. The author uses what type of woman as an example of an Aphrodite woman?
3. What is often the most important part of the heroine's journey?
4. According to the author, what happens to non-heroines?
5. What was Demeter's marital status?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "circle of fear"?
2. What is the chief characteristic of the vulnerable goddesses?
3. What is Hera's position in the Olympian family of gods?
4. What happened when Persephone was kidnapped?
5. What role does grief play in the heroine's journey?
6. How does the author use a fiction novel as an example to illustrate her concept of the heroine?
7. What are some of the characteristics of a Hera woman?
8. Why are the goddesses great reminders, according to the author?
9. What happened to the goddesses as a result of Eris' trick?
10. What were Aphrodite's most important relationships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the vulnerable goddesses. What are their defining characteristics? What do they all have in common? What makes them different from one another? Which types of women identify with each goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The author recommends that women develop an "internal committee" of goddesses. How is this helpful? What can women learn through this activity? What are the various ways in which this internal committee can manifest itself? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The author defines the concepts of "animus" and inner goddess. What is the difference between the two? How can awareness of each help women to better understand themselves? What are some examples of characteristics that relate to the animus and the inner goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)