|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author think women will feel about this set of goddesses as opposed to the last?
2. The author assumes that, for many readers, vulnerability is closely associated with what?
3. How do Demeter women view marriage?
4. Why did Hera get married?
5. Hera is the first of a group of goddesses described as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Demeter different from the other goddesses?
2. What happened when Persephone was kidnapped?
3. How many chapters are devoted to Aphrodite?
4. How did Hera and her husband meet and marry?
5. What final arrangement was worked out between Persephone and her kidnapper?
6. What does the author say about the "special woman" in Book 2, Chapter 11?
7. What recommendations does the author make for avoiding and overcoming depression?
8. What happened to the goddesses as a result of Eris' trick?
9. What are some of the characteristics of a Hera woman?
10. How do women often react to the story of Hera?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Goddesses in Everywoman is, obviously, written for women. What would change about the lessons contained in the book if it were geared toward men? What portions of the book are specifically for women, and could not be altered to suit men? Why? If the book were written for men, what gods might be used? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The author points out that the maternal instinct can be triggered by one's own baby and by other women's babies; however, it is also possible to give birth to a baby and not feel maternal affection. How is the maternal instinct triggered? Is there a difference between the way a woman feels about another woman's baby and the way she feels about her own? Why don't some women have that instinct with their biological children? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The author states that therapy is a means of self-care and empowerment for women. Do you agree? What skills do women learn in therapy that enable them to better care for themselves? Is there any other way for them to learn these skills? Are there any circumstances in which therapy doesn't help? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)