|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Demeter is the patron goddess of what group of people?
2. How do Demeter women view marriage?
3. The author states that Aphrodite helps people come closer to what state?
4. What is the special ability or power of the goddesses in Book 2, Chapter 7?
5. What group of women might identify with Hera?
Short Essay Questions
1. What war started as a result of Eris' trick?
2. What is suggested by the switch from the virgin goddesses to the vulnerable ones?
3. What is the "circle of fear"?
4. How did Hera and her husband meet and marry?
5. What were Aphrodite's most important relationships?
6. What were the benefits of the arrangement that Persephone makes?
7. What happened when Persephone was kidnapped?
8. How does the author use a fiction novel as an example to illustrate her concept of the heroine?
9. What is the chief characteristic of the vulnerable goddesses?
10. What is Hera's position in the Olympian family of gods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The "circle of fear" is an obstacle for many women who have difficulty forming and maintaining relationships. What is the "circle of fear"? How does it affect women's ability to have relationships? Why is vulnerability a necessity for a healthy relationship? How can women begin to overcome this cycle? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Artemis displays a rather constant preference for females, while Athena is almost always in the company of men or boys. Why is this so? What is the difference in the ways the two goddesses relate to men? What do they have in common? What information can we gather about the personalities of the two goddesses as a result of their relationships with men? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The author chose seven ancient Grecian goddesses, and divided them into three categories. Why did she choose the goddesses she did? Do you agree with the way the goddesses are grouped together? Why or why not? Are there any goddesses that were not included, which you feel should have been included? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)