|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it easy, according to the author, to forgive Hera for not being "able to have full control over her own husband"?
2. What was written on the item Eris threw?
3. The "circle of fear" that the author refers to associates vulnerability with what?
4. Aphrodite is the goddess of what kind(s) of love?
5. What is the central factor of a Hera woman's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Persephone and Demeter have a very strong and intimate bond between them. What does Demeter do to get Persephone back after she is kidnapped? How does the separation affect Demeter and Persephone? How would a relationship like theirs manifest itself in modern society? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The author recommends that women develop an "internal committee" of goddesses. How is this helpful? What can women learn through this activity? What are the various ways in which this internal committee can manifest itself? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Outwardly, Athena and Artemis have a lot in common: both are virgin goddesses, both are wise, both are goddesses of the hunt. What is different about the two? What different qualities would manifest in women who identified with each goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)