|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the father of Demeter's child?
2. According to the author, what happens to non-heroines?
3. For the woman used as an example in Book 2, Chapter 11, what is the correlation between her relationships with men and her career success?
4. What is the first chapter about Aphrodite called?
5. According to the author, what do women need to be satisfied and fulfilled?
Short Essay Questions
1. Aside from her mother and her husband, what was Persephone's other major relationship?
2. According to the author, how does a heroine handle self-sacrifice?
3. What final arrangement was worked out between Persephone and her kidnapper?
4. Aphrodite is the goddess of what?
5. What constitutes the nature of a heroine?
6. What were the benefits of the arrangement that Persephone makes?
7. What war started as a result of Eris' trick?
8. What are some of the characteristics of a Hera woman?
9. What is suggested by the switch from the virgin goddesses to the vulnerable ones?
10. What did Eris do in response to the affront she received?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the vulnerable goddesses. What are their defining characteristics? What do they all have in common? What makes them different from one another? Which types of women identify with each goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Through therapy, the author says that women can become more aware of the inner and outer forces, of self and society, which both help and hinder them. What are the internal forces? What are the external ones? Which forces have a greater effect? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The author defines the concepts of "animus" and inner goddess. What is the difference between the two? How can awareness of each help women to better understand themselves? What are some examples of characteristics that relate to the animus and the inner goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)