|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what initially inspires many heroines?
2. What technique did all of the goddesses attempt to win the contest?
3. Why did Hera get married?
4. Who was Persephone's mother?
5. What is the central factor of a Hera woman's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is suggested by the switch from the virgin goddesses to the vulnerable ones?
2. Aphrodite is the goddess of what?
3. How did Hera and her husband meet and marry?
4. What were the benefits of the arrangement that Persephone makes?
5. What does the author say about the "special woman" in Book 2, Chapter 11?
6. What recommendations does the author make for avoiding and overcoming depression?
7. How many chapters are devoted to Aphrodite?
8. How do women often react to the story of Hera?
9. What did Eris do in response to the affront she received?
10. What happened when Persephone was kidnapped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The "circle of fear" is an obstacle for many women who have difficulty forming and maintaining relationships. What is the "circle of fear"? How does it affect women's ability to have relationships? Why is vulnerability a necessity for a healthy relationship? How can women begin to overcome this cycle? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Aphrodite is the only goddess with two chapters devoted to her. Why does the author devote so much time to Aphrodite? Why is Aphrodite considered to be one of the most important goddesses? What areas of a woman's life are affected by the influence of Aphrodite? Why is Aphrodite called the "Alchemical Goddess"? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The author states that she uses the power of mythical figures because it helps her achieve better results with her patients. How do you think she deals with her patients who don't believe in these mythical figures? Are there any lessons learned, via the goddesses, that could also be learned without them? Why haven't more psychologists utilized Bolen's technique? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)