|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What defines the character of a heroine?
2. According to the author, what group of women would be associated with the goddesses in Book 2, Chapter 7?
3. The author feels that the goddesses are a great reminder, especially for women in a generation where they were encouraged to do what?
4. In the story of the heroine's journey, how does the heroine relate to herself?
5. Who ordered Persephone's return?
Essay Topic 1
Women have many different roles is modern society - worker, mother, wife, daughter, etc. Which of the goddesses are most closely associated with each of these roles? How can the goddess archetypes help women to better handle these roles? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jung claimed that there were active and inactive archetypes that were part of the atmosphere and part of nothing at the same time. How did Jung develop his hypothesis? What is the difference between the two varieties of archetypes? What are some examples of active and inactive archetypes? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The author points out that the maternal instinct can be triggered by one's own baby and by other women's babies; however, it is also possible to give birth to a baby and not feel maternal affection. How is the maternal instinct triggered? Is there a difference between the way a woman feels about another woman's baby and the way she feels about her own? Why don't some women have that instinct with their biological children? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,442 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)