|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When presented with the reality of her situation, Persephone agreed to do what?
2. How many consorts did Demeter's mate have before her?
3. What food did Persephone's kidnapper offer to her?
4. What is the first chapter about Aphrodite called?
5. What is NOT a suggestion, made by author, for ways a Demeter woman can avoid depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do women often react to the story of Hera?
2. Aside from her mother and her husband, what was Persephone's other major relationship?
3. What constitutes the nature of a heroine?
4. What war started as a result of Eris' trick?
5. What final arrangement was worked out between Persephone and her kidnapper?
6. What is suggested by the switch from the virgin goddesses to the vulnerable ones?
7. What does the author say about the "special woman" in Book 2, Chapter 11?
8. What was Demeter's family situation?
9. How did Hera and her husband meet and marry?
10. How was Demeter different from the other goddesses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author states that she uses the power of mythical figures because it helps her achieve better results with her patients. How do you think she deals with her patients who don't believe in these mythical figures? Are there any lessons learned, via the goddesses, that could also be learned without them? Why haven't more psychologists utilized Bolen's technique? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Women have many different roles is modern society - worker, mother, wife, daughter, etc. Which of the goddesses are most closely associated with each of these roles? How can the goddess archetypes help women to better handle these roles? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Persephone and Demeter have a very strong and intimate bond between them. What does Demeter do to get Persephone back after she is kidnapped? How does the separation affect Demeter and Persephone? How would a relationship like theirs manifest itself in modern society? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)