|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aphrodite's husband was the god of what skill?
2. When presented with the reality of her situation, Persephone agreed to do what?
3. Non-heroines are governed by what goddesses?
4. Who fought over the item that Eris tossed into the party?
5. What is the goddess Eris's role in women's lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is suggested by the switch from the virgin goddesses to the vulnerable ones?
2. What happened to the goddess Eris?
3. How do women often react to the story of Hera?
4. What role does grief play in the heroine's journey?
5. What is most important for Demeter women?
6. What constitutes the nature of a heroine?
7. How does the author use a fiction novel as an example to illustrate her concept of the heroine?
8. How was Demeter different from the other goddesses?
9. What war started as a result of Eris' trick?
10. What did Eris do in response to the affront she received?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the vulnerable goddesses. What are their defining characteristics? What do they all have in common? What makes them different from one another? Which types of women identify with each goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Eris, the goddess of strife and discord, does not have much space devoted to her in the book, but the author points out that she also plays a role in women's lives. What is Eris's influence on women's lives? What situations might she be involved with? How can women relate to the Eris archetype and learn to minimize her influence in their lives? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The author defines the concepts of "animus" and inner goddess. What is the difference between the two? How can awareness of each help women to better understand themselves? What are some examples of characteristics that relate to the animus and the inner goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)