|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the assistant help with Athena's birth?
2. The patterns and qualities discussed in Book 2, Chapter 2, are part of what?
3. Who helped with Athena's birth?
4. Who were Athena's usual companions?
5. According to the author, how do Hestian women feel about sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Hestia's main characteristics?
2. What did Artemis ask her father for?
3. What was the marital situation of Artemis' mother and father?
4. What were the author's results with her method of treatment?
5. How was Athena born?
6. What was Hestia's special privilege?
7. The author of Goddesses in Everywoman is a proponent of what kind of therapy?
8. What are the two types of archetypes in the universe, described by Bolen?
9. What example does the author use in Book 2, Chapter 1, to support her statement about the maternal instinct?
10. Why does the author choose to contrast the goddesses in Book 2, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author recommends that women develop an "internal committee" of goddesses. How is this helpful? What can women learn through this activity? What are the various ways in which this internal committee can manifest itself? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jung claimed that there were active and inactive archetypes that were part of the atmosphere and part of nothing at the same time. How did Jung develop his hypothesis? What is the difference between the two varieties of archetypes? What are some examples of active and inactive archetypes? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The author defines the concepts of "animus" and inner goddess. What is the difference between the two? How can awareness of each help women to better understand themselves? What are some examples of characteristics that relate to the animus and the inner goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)