|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many goddesses are written about in each chapter?
2. The author says in Book 2, Chapter 2, that she tries to apply the archetypes to what?
3. For what weapon did Artemis ask her father?
4. Book 2, Chapter 2, focuses on a particular of what type of therapy?
5. What is the second group of goddesses called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hestia's special privilege?
2. What were the author's results with her method of treatment?
3. What are the "animus" and inner goddess, as defined by the author in Book 2, Chapter 3?
4. What example does the author use in Book 2, Chapter 1, to support her statement about the maternal instinct?
5. According to the introductory information, to what is the second portion of the book dedicated?
6. What groups are the goddesses divided into?
7. According to the author, why do women go into therapy?
8. The author of Goddesses in Everywoman is a proponent of what kind of therapy?
9. What are the two types of archetypes in the universe, described by Bolen?
10. How does Book 2, Chapter 1, begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the vulnerable goddesses. What are their defining characteristics? What do they all have in common? What makes them different from one another? Which types of women identify with each goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Goddesses in Everywoman is, obviously, written for women. What would change about the lessons contained in the book if it were geared toward men? What portions of the book are specifically for women, and could not be altered to suit men? Why? If the book were written for men, what gods might be used? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The author defines the concepts of "animus" and inner goddess. What is the difference between the two? How can awareness of each help women to better understand themselves? What are some examples of characteristics that relate to the animus and the inner goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)