|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Artemis developed a reputation for being helpful to whom?
2. What is the main subject of Book 2?
3. What is the first of two factors that would trouble an Athena woman whose marriage was dissolved?
4. A woman can be helped and hindered by what forces?
5. How did the author get her hypothesis for effective treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say about babies in Book 2, Chapter 1?
2. What are the "animus" and inner goddess, as defined by the author in Book 2, Chapter 3?
3. How many years passed between the editions of Goddesses in Everywoman?
4. How does Book 2, Chapter 1, begin?
5. The author of Goddesses in Everywoman is a proponent of what kind of therapy?
6. In what ways was Athena similar to Artemis?
7. What groups are the goddesses divided into?
8. What were the circumstances of Artemis' birth?
9. What example does the author use to explain the difference in the archetypes?
10. What goddesses does the author use for the archetypes in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jung claimed that there were active and inactive archetypes that were part of the atmosphere and part of nothing at the same time. How did Jung develop his hypothesis? What is the difference between the two varieties of archetypes? What are some examples of active and inactive archetypes? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Through therapy, the author says that women can become more aware of the inner and outer forces, of self and society, which both help and hinder them. What are the internal forces? What are the external ones? Which forces have a greater effect? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Persephone and Demeter have a very strong and intimate bond between them. What does Demeter do to get Persephone back after she is kidnapped? How does the separation affect Demeter and Persephone? How would a relationship like theirs manifest itself in modern society? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)