|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does the author use for forces of society?
2. The author differentiates between what two varieties of archetypes?
3. Who caused the male gods to fall in love with Hestia?
4. According to Cook 2, Chapter 2, the goddess archetypes are at work where?
5. Book 2, Chapter 2, focuses on a particular of what type of therapy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Athena different from the other virgin goddesses?
2. How was Athena born?
3. What were the author's results with her method of treatment?
4. What is the difference between the two types of archetypes?
5. What qualities does a Hestia woman possess?
6. How does Book 2, Chapter 1, begin?
7. What are Hestia's main characteristics?
8. What was Hestia's special privilege?
9. What goddesses does the author use for the archetypes in the book?
10. What is one of the major characteristics of an Athena woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women have many different roles is modern society - worker, mother, wife, daughter, etc. Which of the goddesses are most closely associated with each of these roles? How can the goddess archetypes help women to better handle these roles? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Persephone and Demeter have a very strong and intimate bond between them. What does Demeter do to get Persephone back after she is kidnapped? How does the separation affect Demeter and Persephone? How would a relationship like theirs manifest itself in modern society? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The author points out that the maternal instinct can be triggered by one's own baby and by other women's babies; however, it is also possible to give birth to a baby and not feel maternal affection. How is the maternal instinct triggered? Is there a difference between the way a woman feels about another woman's baby and the way she feels about her own? Why don't some women have that instinct with their biological children? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)