|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Book 2, Chapter 1?
2. The author says in Book 2, Chapter 2, that she devotes the rest of Book 2 to doing what with the goddesses?
3. The author uses what "true life" example in Book 2, Chapter 1?
4. The author divides the goddesses in her book into how many categories?
5. What word is used to describe the goddesses' role in this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Athena born?
2. What are the two types of archetypes in the universe, described by Bolen?
3. What sort of relationship did Artemis have with her mother?
4. What was the marital situation of Artemis' mother and father?
5. Which goddesses are discussed in Book 2, Chapter 3?
6. What were the circumstances of Artemis' birth?
7. What example does the author use in Book 2, Chapter 1, to support her statement about the maternal instinct?
8. How does the author treat her patients?
9. What is one of the major characteristics of an Athena woman?
10. How was Athena different from the other virgin goddesses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Goddesses in Everywoman is, obviously, written for women. What would change about the lessons contained in the book if it were geared toward men? What portions of the book are specifically for women, and could not be altered to suit men? Why? If the book were written for men, what gods might be used? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Artemis displays a rather constant preference for females, while Athena is almost always in the company of men or boys. Why is this so? What is the difference in the ways the two goddesses relate to men? What do they have in common? What information can we gather about the personalities of the two goddesses as a result of their relationships with men? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The author chose seven ancient Grecian goddesses, and divided them into three categories. Why did she choose the goddesses she did? Do you agree with the way the goddesses are grouped together? Why or why not? Are there any goddesses that were not included, which you feel should have been included? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)