|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Athena is the goddess of what quality?
2. From what culture did these goddesses originate?
3. What is the author's degree?
4. For what weapon did Artemis ask her father?
5. Book 2, Chapter 2, focuses on a particular of what type of therapy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Eris do in response to the affront she received?
2. What example does the author use in Book 2, Chapter 1, to support her statement about the maternal instinct?
3. The author of <i>Goddesses in Everywoman</i> is a proponent of what kind of therapy?
4. What goddesses does the author use for the archetypes in the book?
5. What does the author say about the "special woman" in Book 2, Chapter 11?
6. What was the marital situation of Artemis' mother and father?
7. What sort of relationship did Artemis have with her mother?
8. What were the circumstances of Artemis' birth?
9. What are the "animus" and inner goddess, as defined by the author in Book 2, Chapter 3?
10. What does the author say about babies in Book 2, Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the virgin goddesses. What are their defining characteristics? What do they all have in common? What makes them different from one another? Which types of women identify with each goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The author points out that the maternal instinct can be triggered by one's own baby and by other women's babies; however, it is also possible to give birth to a baby and not feel maternal affection. How is the maternal instinct triggered? Is there a difference between the way a woman feels about another woman's baby and the way she feels about her own? Why don't some women have that instinct with their biological children? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The author states that the goddesses are a great reminder for modern women who are pressured to succeed. Do you agree that using the goddesses as a reminder can help to prevent workaholism? How does awareness of the goddess archetypes help women to develop better relationships with their families and take better care of themselves? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,759 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)