|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hestia is described as what?
2. For what weapon did Artemis ask her father?
3. A woman can be helped and hindered by what forces?
4. According to the author, when is tension a likely result?
5. What type of mental health practitioner was the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. What goddesses does the author use for the archetypes in the book?
2. How does Book 2, Chapter 1, begin?
3. According to the author, why do women go into therapy?
4. What example does the author use in Book 2, Chapter 1, to support her statement about the maternal instinct?
5. How does the author treat her patients?
6. What did Aphrodite do to Hestia?
7. What example does the author use to explain the difference in the archetypes?
8. What does the author say about babies in Book 2, Chapter 1?
9. In what ways was Athena similar to Artemis?
10. How are the three goddesses described in Book 2, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the vulnerable goddesses. What are their defining characteristics? What do they all have in common? What makes them different from one another? Which types of women identify with each goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Outwardly, Athena and Artemis have a lot in common: both are virgin goddesses, both are wise, both are goddesses of the hunt. What is different about the two? What different qualities would manifest in women who identified with each goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Artemis displays a rather constant preference for females, while Athena is almost always in the company of men or boys. Why is this so? What is the difference in the ways the two goddesses relate to men? What do they have in common? What information can we gather about the personalities of the two goddesses as a result of their relationships with men? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)