|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Artemis' mother?
2. How many goddesses are in the first group?
3. Hestia is the goddess of what?
4. Artemis asked her father for what item to help her run?
5. Athena was the patron goddess of what city?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Book 2, Chapter 1, begin?
2. What is one of the major characteristics of an Athena woman?
3. What is the chief characteristic of the vulnerable goddesses?
4. What were the author's results with her method of treatment?
5. What does the author say about the "special woman" in Book 2, Chapter 11?
6. What did Aphrodite do to Hestia?
7. What are the "animus" and inner goddess, as defined by the author in Book 2, Chapter 3?
8. What does Bolen say sometimes happens to women when they have children?
9. What qualities does a Hestia woman possess?
10. What sort of relationship did Artemis have with her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author recommends that women develop an "internal committee" of goddesses. How is this helpful? What can women learn through this activity? What are the various ways in which this internal committee can manifest itself? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Hestia is the goddess of the hearth and of intergenerational family life. What is the symbolic significance of the hearth in ancient Grecian society? What is its practical purpose? What qualities does Hestia have, as the goddess of the hearth? Why does Hestia receive so many offerings? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Eris, the goddess of strife and discord, does not have much space devoted to her in the book, but the author points out that she also plays a role in women's lives. What is Eris's influence on women's lives? What situations might she be involved with? How can women relate to the Eris archetype and learn to minimize her influence in their lives? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,758 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)