|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many male gods fell in love with Hestia?
2. How many books did the author write before this one?
3. In what ways was Athena similar to Artemis?
4. The author says in Book 2, Chapter 2, that she tries to apply the archetypes to what?
5. When inhabitants of a city-state left to form a new village, what did they take with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What example does the author use to explain the difference in the archetypes?
2. What final arrangement was worked out between Persephone and her kidnapper?
3. What were the author's results with her method of treatment?
4. How many years passed between the editions of <i>Goddesses in Everywoman</i>?
5. What is suggested by the switch from the virgin goddesses to the vulnerable ones?
6. What is most important for Demeter women?
7. What does the author say about babies in Book 2, Chapter 1?
8. According to the introductory information, to what is the second portion of the book dedicated?
9. Which goddesses are discussed in Book 2, Chapter 3?
10. What does the author say about the "special woman" in Book 2, Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Persephone and Demeter have a very strong and intimate bond between them. What does Demeter do to get Persephone back after she is kidnapped? How does the separation affect Demeter and Persephone? How would a relationship like theirs manifest itself in modern society? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Aphrodite is the only goddess with two chapters devoted to her. Why does the author devote so much time to Aphrodite? Why is Aphrodite considered to be one of the most important goddesses? What areas of a woman's life are affected by the influence of Aphrodite? Why is Aphrodite called the "Alchemical Goddess"? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the vulnerable goddesses. What are their defining characteristics? What do they all have in common? What makes them different from one another? Which types of women identify with each goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,822 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)