|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the last thing Artemis requested from her father?
2. What is the second group of goddesses called?
3. How many male gods fell in love with Hestia?
4. Who did Artemis want for her companions?
5. With what did Artemis help her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the marital situation of Artemis' mother and father?
2. What does the author say about babies in Book 2, Chapter 1?
3. What example does the author use to explain the difference in the archetypes?
4. What was Hestia's special privilege?
5. What example does the author use in Book 2, Chapter 1, to support her statement about the maternal instinct?
6. In what ways was Athena similar to Artemis?
7. What is one of the major characteristics of an Athena woman?
8. How many years passed between the editions of Goddesses in Everywoman?
9. Why does the author choose to contrast the goddesses in Book 2, Chapter 3?
10. Which goddesses are discussed in Book 2, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eris, the goddess of strife and discord, does not have much space devoted to her in the book, but the author points out that she also plays a role in women's lives. What is Eris's influence on women's lives? What situations might she be involved with? How can women relate to the Eris archetype and learn to minimize her influence in their lives? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Hestia is the goddess of the hearth and of intergenerational family life. What is the symbolic significance of the hearth in ancient Grecian society? What is its practical purpose? What qualities does Hestia have, as the goddess of the hearth? Why does Hestia receive so many offerings? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the vulnerable goddesses. What are their defining characteristics? What do they all have in common? What makes them different from one another? Which types of women identify with each goddess? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)