|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many goddesses does the author include in this book?
2. What was the last thing Artemis requested from her father?
3. What did other women help the author to do?
4. How many goddesses are in the second group?
5. How many male gods fell in love with Hestia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hestia's special privilege?
2. By what are women helped and hindered, according to Bolen?
3. What did Artemis ask her father for?
4. How many years passed between the editions of Goddesses in Everywoman?
5. How was Athena different from the other virgin goddesses?
6. What were the author's results with her method of treatment?
7. How was Athena born?
8. What example does the author use to explain the difference in the archetypes?
9. What are Hestia's main characteristics?
10. What are the "animus" and inner goddess, as defined by the author in Book 2, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The "circle of fear" is an obstacle for many women who have difficulty forming and maintaining relationships. What is the "circle of fear"? How does it affect women's ability to have relationships? Why is vulnerability a necessity for a healthy relationship? How can women begin to overcome this cycle? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The author states that therapy is a means of self-care and empowerment for women. Do you agree? What skills do women learn in therapy that enable them to better care for themselves? Is there any other way for them to learn these skills? Are there any circumstances in which therapy doesn't help? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Artemis displays a rather constant preference for females, while Athena is almost always in the company of men or boys. Why is this so? What is the difference in the ways the two goddesses relate to men? What do they have in common? What information can we gather about the personalities of the two goddesses as a result of their relationships with men? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)