|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many goddesses are in the first group?
2. When was Apollo born?
3. The theory discussed in Cook 2, Chapter 2 postulates that there are what types of patterns and qualities?
4. Who caused the male gods to fall in love with Hestia?
5. Who was Athena's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Aphrodite do to Hestia?
2. What is one of the major characteristics of an Athena woman?
3. How does the author treat her patients?
4. Which goddesses are discussed in Book 2, Chapter 3?
5. The author of Goddesses in Everywoman is a proponent of what kind of therapy?
6. How are the three goddesses described in Book 2, Chapter 3?
7. What are Hestia's main characteristics?
8. According to the author, why do women go into therapy?
9. What was the marital situation of Artemis' mother and father?
10. Why does the author choose to contrast the goddesses in Book 2, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author chose seven ancient Grecian goddesses, and divided them into three categories. Why did she choose the goddesses she did? Do you agree with the way the goddesses are grouped together? Why or why not? Are there any goddesses that were not included, which you feel should have been included? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The author states that therapy is a means of self-care and empowerment for women. Do you agree? What skills do women learn in therapy that enable them to better care for themselves? Is there any other way for them to learn these skills? Are there any circumstances in which therapy doesn't help? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Eris, the goddess of strife and discord, does not have much space devoted to her in the book, but the author points out that she also plays a role in women's lives. What is Eris's influence on women's lives? What situations might she be involved with? How can women relate to the Eris archetype and learn to minimize her influence in their lives? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)