|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an Athena woman's most likely downfall?
2. The author differentiates between what two varieties of archetypes?
3. Why did the author of Goddesses in Everywoman choose to write this book?
4. How long had the author had her own mental health practice when she wrote the first edition of Goddesses in Everywoman?
5. The author differentiates between the "inner goddess" and the what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the marital situation of Artemis' mother and father?
2. The author of Goddesses in Everywoman is a proponent of what kind of therapy?
3. How are the three goddesses described in Book 2, Chapter 3?
4. How was Athena born?
5. By what are women helped and hindered, according to Bolen?
6. What example does the author use to explain the difference in the archetypes?
7. What were the author's results with her method of treatment?
8. What qualities does a Hestia woman possess?
9. What were the circumstances of Artemis' birth?
10. What are Hestia's main characteristics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Artemis displays a rather constant preference for females, while Athena is almost always in the company of men or boys. Why is this so? What is the difference in the ways the two goddesses relate to men? What do they have in common? What information can we gather about the personalities of the two goddesses as a result of their relationships with men? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Aphrodite is the only goddess with two chapters devoted to her. Why does the author devote so much time to Aphrodite? Why is Aphrodite considered to be one of the most important goddesses? What areas of a woman's life are affected by the influence of Aphrodite? Why is Aphrodite called the "Alchemical Goddess"? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Through therapy, the author says that women can become more aware of the inner and outer forces, of self and society, which both help and hinder them. What are the internal forces? What are the external ones? Which forces have a greater effect? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)