|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many consorts did Demeter's mate have before her?
2. Aphrodite's husband was the god of what skill?
3. What group of women might identify with Hera?
(a) Women who have experienced sexual jealousy.
(b) Women who constantly live in the shadow of their powerful husband.
(c) Women who are unable to assert themselves.
(d) Women who are also infertile.
4. Eris is the Greek goddess of what?
(a) Hunting and wisdom.
(b) Love and friendship.
(c) Grain and harvest.
(d) Strife and discord.
5. Eris wasn't invited to what kind of party?
(a) A baby shower.
(b) An anniversary dinner.
(c) A wedding party.
(d) A birthday party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role do the goddesses in Book 2, Chapter 7, play?
2. What was the benefit, or benefits, of Persephone's agreement?
3. Why is it easy, according to the author, to forgive Hera for not being "able to have full control over her own husband"?
4. How does the heroine appear to others?
5. In Book 2, Chapter 11, the author compares people to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is suggested by the switch from the virgin goddesses to the vulnerable ones?
2. What does the author say about the "special woman" in Book 2, Chapter 11?
3. According to the author, how does a heroine handle self-sacrifice?
4. How does the author use a fiction novel as an example to illustrate her concept of the heroine?
5. What happened to the goddesses as a result of Eris' trick?
6. What were the benefits of the arrangement that Persephone makes?
7. Aside from her mother and her husband, what was Persephone's other major relationship?
8. How many chapters are devoted to Aphrodite?
9. What is most important for Demeter women?
10. What is Hera's position in the Olympian family of gods?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)