|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what do the goddesses in Book 2, Chapter 7, learn?
(a) To venture into intimacy.
(b) To empower and assert themselves.
(c) To be in touch with their emotions.
(d) To have platonic relationships with men.
2. Which goddess did the mortal man select as the winner?
3. The woman used as an example in Book 2, Chapter 11, had what sort of relationships with men?
(a) She was married and divorced several times.
(b) She was happily married for many years.
(c) She was a feminist who hated men.
(d) She had intimacies but never married.
4. According to the author, what is part of overcoming depression?
(a) Discovering fulfilling activities.
(b) Developing an understanding of oneself.
(c) Forming new relationships.
(d) A letting go, or renewal.
5. How does the author think women will feel about this set of goddesses as opposed to the last?
(a) They possess qualities that are more common in women.
(b) They are a pleasurable counterweight.
(c) They are not as comfortable with men.
(d) They are less relevant to modern women's lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eris is the Greek goddess of what?
2. According to the author, what initially inspires many heroines?
3. Who was the father of Demeter's child?
4. The author states that Aphrodite helps people come closer to what state?
5. According to the author, Aphrodite is most similar to what other goddess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Demeter's family situation?
2. What role does grief play in the heroine's journey?
3. What were the benefits of the arrangement that Persephone makes?
4. What happened to the goddess Eris?
5. How many chapters are devoted to Aphrodite?
6. What is most important for Demeter women?
7. What is the "circle of fear"?
8. What happened to the goddesses as a result of Eris' trick?
9. According to the author, how does a heroine handle self-sacrifice?
10. What final arrangement was worked out between Persephone and her kidnapper?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)