|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author think women will feel about this set of goddesses as opposed to the last?
(a) They possess qualities that are more common in women.
(b) They are less relevant to modern women's lives.
(c) They are a pleasurable counterweight.
(d) They are not as comfortable with men.
2. Why might some women feel sorry for Hera?
(a) Her daughter was taken from her.
(b) She fell in love with a mortal but could not have him.
(c) She was constantly wronged by her husband.
(d) She was unable to have children.
3. What is NOT a suggestion, made by author, for ways a Demeter woman can avoid depression?
(a) Become a mother but avoid marriage.
(b) Recognize and express her true emotions.
(c) Be able to set boundaries and stick to them.
(d) Nurture other goddess archetypes within herself.
4. Hera reacted negatively to which of her husband's habits?
5. Aphrodite's husband was the god of what skill?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what is part of overcoming depression?
2. Persephone had an extramarital affair with whom?
3. According to the author, women often experience anxiety, or a sense of defeat, because of what?
4. What is the special ability or power of the goddesses in Book 2, Chapter 7?
5. How many generations of incestuous relationships are detailed in Greek mythology?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hera's position in the Olympian family of gods?
2. What is suggested by the switch from the virgin goddesses to the vulnerable ones?
3. What is the "circle of fear"?
4. What happened to the goddesses as a result of Eris' trick?
5. What war started as a result of Eris' trick?
6. What final arrangement was worked out between Persephone and her kidnapper?
7. What were the benefits of the arrangement that Persephone makes?
8. What were Aphrodite's most important relationships?
9. What recommendations does the author make for avoiding and overcoming depression?
10. What is the chief characteristic of the vulnerable goddesses?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)