|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What technique did all of the goddesses attempt to win the contest?
2. What was Demeter's marital status?
(a) She was single.
(b) She married a mortal and was widowed.
(c) She lived with her mate.
(d) She was married.
3. What is the special ability or power of the goddesses in Book 2, Chapter 7?
(a) Being superior to the male gods.
(b) Bearing children.
(c) Remaining chaste.
(d) Maintaining relationships.
4. Demeter is the patron goddess of what group of people?
5. People who make intentional choices with regard to self-sacrifice usually do so because of what concern(s)?
(a) Duty to family.
(b) A good reputation.
(c) Caring what other people think.
(d) All answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most powerful and influential bond in Demeter's life?
2. Where did Persephone's kidnapper take her?
3. According to Book 2, Chapter 7, having healthy relationships helps to prevent a woman from becoming what?
4. Eris wasn't invited to what kind of party?
5. Hera is the first of a group of goddesses described as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Persephone was kidnapped?
2. What is suggested by the switch from the virgin goddesses to the vulnerable ones?
3. What role does grief play in the heroine's journey?
4. What happened to the goddesses as a result of Eris' trick?
5. Aphrodite is the goddess of what?
6. How many chapters are devoted to Aphrodite?
7. According to the author, how does a heroine handle self-sacrifice?
8. How does the author use a fiction novel as an example to illustrate her concept of the heroine?
9. What is the "circle of fear"?
10. What were the benefits of the arrangement that Persephone makes?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)